• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:31
CEST 03:31
KST 10:31
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War385.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Making an Online Broodwar Manager Game BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9347 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 526

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 524 525 526 527 528 665 Next
whoso
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany523 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-04-03 14:07:59
April 03 2014 08:54 GMT
#10501
hey guys, i was planning to finally get into magic online. not new to magic, though its a long time ago i did play some magic. know the rules, know basic concepts of tcg game theory, but obviously not the metagame. was planning to start with some standard budget deck as constructed is much easier to sustain than drafting right? how much money should i expect to have to drop? around 60$ to get some viable budget deck enough (online is much cheaper than paper right)?

edit: so, basically im looking to build some mono black or mono blue devotion and additionally some maze's end deck because it looks hilarious and is dirt cheap. which of the devotion decks will suffer more from not having mutavaults?
MCMcEmcee
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1609 Posts
April 03 2014 16:34 GMT
#10502
I don't think either monoblue or monoblack is playable without mutavault
[iHs]MCMcEmcee@UFO | のヮの
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
April 03 2014 16:57 GMT
#10503
Look at the UB Heroic Deck that Top 32'd not too long ago. All of the money is literally in 3 mutavaults, 4 Watery Graves and 4 Temples.
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
April 03 2014 17:35 GMT
#10504
Boss Sligh is probably the most budget you can get.

http://www.starcitygames.com/events/coverage/deck_tech_boss_sligh_with_tom_.html

You can cut that mutavault and just run 17 lands, and there are probably a few sideboard tweaks you can do.
whoso
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany523 Posts
April 03 2014 18:15 GMT
#10505
On April 04 2014 01:34 MCMcEmcee wrote:
I don't think either monoblue or monoblack is playable without mutavault


hm yeah dont know was thinking to kinda follow the sub 100$ decks thrown around here:

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/standard-type-2/budget-forum-standard/66279-yakusokus-budget-guide-to-standard.

of course, im open to anything at the moment
ParanoiaDHerO
Profile Joined July 2009
United States183 Posts
April 03 2014 18:28 GMT
#10506
I think mono red and r/w burn are probably the two cheapest decks right now for raw power and results.
MCMcEmcee
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1609 Posts
April 03 2014 19:48 GMT
#10507
Boss sligh is the cheapest option I can think of. The self-mill/"dredge" deck doesn't look too pricey outside of sideboard thoughtseize.
[iHs]MCMcEmcee@UFO | のヮの
MotherOfRunes
Profile Joined December 2010
Germany2862 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-04-04 12:54:22
April 04 2014 12:53 GMT
#10508
woohooo just won my first THS block draft. it just was a 4-3-2-2 draft but it was also my second draft in general (after playing 10 new players m14 draft). oh god it feels so good. and holy crap it was so close. imm still pumped with adrenaline :D . 2nd round the other is 1:0 in the lead. then MTGO client starts to fuck up. (im using the beta client) couldnt do shit but the clock kept ticking and it stole mme 4mins after 1min waiting and 3min trying to reconnect. then i get the 1:1 with 3mins 50 secs left on clock. beat him down for the 2:1 with 16 secs remaining HOLYYYY SMOKE :D
"Your Razor sucks!" -Kuroky's Dad
mr_tolkien
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France8631 Posts
April 06 2014 20:58 GMT
#10509
On April 04 2014 04:48 MCMcEmcee wrote:
Boss sligh is the cheapest option I can think of. The self-mill/"dredge" deck doesn't look too pricey outside of sideboard thoughtseize.

Thoughtseize isn't that expensive as well.
Here is my list : http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/227762

The problem with this deck is that you'll mulligan A LOT, and that can get frustrating.
The legend of Darien lives on
caelym
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6430 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-04-06 23:54:25
April 06 2014 23:51 GMT
#10510
has anyone noticed that occasionally magic players conveniently forget about the board state so that it benefits them? just now on SCG's stream, one player conveniently forgets that his elvish visionary died early in the turn, later in the same turn, he plays another one and then attacks with it along with craterhoof for the kill. I've seen similar behavior in other videos involving pro play as well.
MoonBear
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Straight outta Johto18973 Posts
April 07 2014 00:00 GMT
#10511
On April 07 2014 08:51 caelym wrote:
has anyone noticed that occasionally magic players conveniently forget about the board state so that it benefits them? just now on SCG's stream, one player conveniently forgets that his elvish visionary died early in the turn, later in the same turn, he plays another one and then attacks with it along with craterhoof for the kill. I've seen similar behavior in other videos involving pro play as well.

Well there's always the Alex Bertoncini story. I mean at that level the matchups are fairly even so people just want the extra % that pushes them into a win @.@
ModeratorA dream. Do you have one that has cursed you like that? Or maybe... a wish?
caelym
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6430 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-04-07 00:13:22
April 07 2014 00:08 GMT
#10512
On April 07 2014 09:00 MoonBear wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 07 2014 08:51 caelym wrote:
has anyone noticed that occasionally magic players conveniently forget about the board state so that it benefits them? just now on SCG's stream, one player conveniently forgets that his elvish visionary died early in the turn, later in the same turn, he plays another one and then attacks with it along with craterhoof for the kill. I've seen similar behavior in other videos involving pro play as well.

Well there's always the Alex Bertoncini story. I mean at that level the matchups are fairly even so people just want the extra % that pushes them into a win @.@

Alex's cheats are like "hard" cheats where he manipulated cards. There's also a bunch of subtle cheats where the player is like "I forgot this had summoning sickness" or "I forgot to remove the correct number of creatures from play after combat". If a newbie does it, I wouldn't care, but seeing fulltime pros do it makes me suspicious.
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
April 07 2014 00:50 GMT
#10513
This coverage has been extremely good, heads up to CFB for actually solving the dead time problem in a pretty relevant and efficient manner.
Get it by your hands...
MoonBear
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Straight outta Johto18973 Posts
April 07 2014 01:10 GMT
#10514
On April 07 2014 09:08 caelym wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 07 2014 09:00 MoonBear wrote:
On April 07 2014 08:51 caelym wrote:
has anyone noticed that occasionally magic players conveniently forget about the board state so that it benefits them? just now on SCG's stream, one player conveniently forgets that his elvish visionary died early in the turn, later in the same turn, he plays another one and then attacks with it along with craterhoof for the kill. I've seen similar behavior in other videos involving pro play as well.

Well there's always the Alex Bertoncini story. I mean at that level the matchups are fairly even so people just want the extra % that pushes them into a win @.@

Alex's cheats are like "hard" cheats where he manipulated cards. There's also a bunch of subtle cheats where the player is like "I forgot this had summoning sickness" or "I forgot to remove the correct number of creatures from play after combat". If a newbie does it, I wouldn't care, but seeing fulltime pros do it makes me suspicious.

The top level HoF-type people have a lot to lose from it but I can see why grinders who need to win might want to shave edges. There was a Judge session before about the ways people try to get edges through dubious means like trying to stack a deck and those little %s add up pretty significantly... I mean if you're playing one of those 55% against the field decks bumping it up to 60% is pretty nuts.
ModeratorA dream. Do you have one that has cursed you like that? Or maybe... a wish?
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-04-07 03:17:16
April 07 2014 03:16 GMT
#10515
On April 07 2014 08:51 caelym wrote:
has anyone noticed that occasionally magic players conveniently forget about the board state so that it benefits them? just now on SCG's stream, one player conveniently forgets that his elvish visionary died early in the turn, later in the same turn, he plays another one and then attacks with it along with craterhoof for the kill. I've seen similar behavior in other videos involving pro play as well.


I'm guilty of doing this occasionally at FNM. I'll notice something wrong from a few turns back and just not say anything about it, it's usually too late to do anything about it anyway. Most recent example I can think of: I let my opponent's 2 Ash Zealots trade for my Smiter. I remembered they had First Strike, guess he didn't. It was a fun game though, I'd already 2-0'd him in regulation matches, but I did feel bad about it and mentioned it after the game.

That and I'll flat out lie if my opponent asks me if I'm dead, but I figure he should find that out for himself.
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
April 07 2014 03:30 GMT
#10516
On April 07 2014 12:16 deth2munkies wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 07 2014 08:51 caelym wrote:
has anyone noticed that occasionally magic players conveniently forget about the board state so that it benefits them? just now on SCG's stream, one player conveniently forgets that his elvish visionary died early in the turn, later in the same turn, he plays another one and then attacks with it along with craterhoof for the kill. I've seen similar behavior in other videos involving pro play as well.


I'm guilty of doing this occasionally at FNM. I'll notice something wrong from a few turns back and just not say anything about it, it's usually too late to do anything about it anyway. Most recent example I can think of: I let my opponent's 2 Ash Zealots trade for my Smiter. I remembered they had First Strike, guess he didn't. It was a fun game though, I'd already 2-0'd him in regulation matches, but I did feel bad about it and mentioned it after the game.

That and I'll flat out lie if my opponent asks me if I'm dead, but I figure he should find that out for himself.



It's almost as painful being dead on board as it is to watch your opponent not see it and completely misplay.
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
caelym
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6430 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-04-07 03:40:53
April 07 2014 03:40 GMT
#10517
On April 07 2014 12:30 Shotcoder wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 07 2014 12:16 deth2munkies wrote:
On April 07 2014 08:51 caelym wrote:
has anyone noticed that occasionally magic players conveniently forget about the board state so that it benefits them? just now on SCG's stream, one player conveniently forgets that his elvish visionary died early in the turn, later in the same turn, he plays another one and then attacks with it along with craterhoof for the kill. I've seen similar behavior in other videos involving pro play as well.


I'm guilty of doing this occasionally at FNM. I'll notice something wrong from a few turns back and just not say anything about it, it's usually too late to do anything about it anyway. Most recent example I can think of: I let my opponent's 2 Ash Zealots trade for my Smiter. I remembered they had First Strike, guess he didn't. It was a fun game though, I'd already 2-0'd him in regulation matches, but I did feel bad about it and mentioned it after the game.

That and I'll flat out lie if my opponent asks me if I'm dead, but I figure he should find that out for himself.



It's almost as painful being dead on board as it is to watch your opponent not see it and completely misplay.

letting your opponent misplay is fine. but wrongly resolving board states and spells when you know it's wrong is cheating.
Cixah
Profile Joined July 2010
United States11285 Posts
April 07 2014 05:44 GMT
#10518
New spoilers are up. RW god seems "fun".

The Reddit link that follows has the list from today.
http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/22echg/jou_all_journey_into_nyx_spoilers_for_47/
Hug The Goat! Hug the Goat! Hug the Goat!
Thereisnosaurus
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Australia1822 Posts
April 07 2014 07:11 GMT
#10519
Man constellation looks like an abusable mechanic in constructed. Probably not in standard but man if there are any decent, cheap cards some madness may be due.

I picked up a lot of junk coloured cards in the last couple of sets so I'm really looking forward to seeing what the G/W G/B and W/B stuff in this set is going to be like, I think junk midrange has a real shot at being a brutal deck.
Poisonous Sheep counter Hydras
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
April 07 2014 07:22 GMT
#10520
Mana Bloom for 0 with Eidolon of Blossoms
Prev 1 524 525 526 527 528 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
08:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings95
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 135
Sharp 54
Bale 32
Dota 2
monkeys_forever558
NeuroSwarm209
League of Legends
Doublelift4022
Counter-Strike
taco 510
Other Games
summit1g7172
JimRising 497
C9.Mang0351
ViBE169
ToD84
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick681
BasetradeTV172
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 138
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP90
• poizon28 41
• davetesta27
• Adnapsc2 9
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra871
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
8h 29m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
10h 29m
AI Arena Tournament
15h 29m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
17h 29m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 8h
Patches Events
1d 13h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 17h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 17h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.