• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:18
CEST 12:18
KST 19:18
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War445.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9183 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 524

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 522 523 524 525 526 665 Next
Tennet
Profile Joined January 2010
United States1458 Posts
March 26 2014 17:35 GMT
#10461
I think Pawn of Ulamog and or Crypt Ghast could work really well in my deck. I haven't looked at it yet to see if one or both of them could allow me to repeat reanimate costs a significant amount of times.
"The harder it gets, the more you need to focus on the basics." - Seo Gyung Jong
Varanice
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States1517 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-26 17:42:36
March 26 2014 17:36 GMT
#10462
On March 22 2014 12:20 Varanice wrote:
Here's the deck I'll be running from the scraps I could get together lol.
+ Show Spoiler +

Main deck: Azorius Control

3x Syncopate
1x Dispel
1x Revoke Existence
3x Last Breath
3x Azorius Charm
4x Detention Sphere
3x Dissolve
4x Supreme Verdict
1x Fated Retribution
4x Sphinx's Revelation - 27 instants/sorcs/enchant

2x Nightveil Spectre
2x Aetherling - 4 creatures total

2x Elspeth Suns Champion
1x Jace Architect of Thought -3 plainswalkers

4x Hallowed Fountain
4x Temple of Enlightenment
10x Island
8x Plains - 26 lands
~~~~~~~~~~
I might go back to 9/9 land split. Ill be trying on-site to get some more plainswalkers, mostly Elspeth.

Need to work on my sideboard mostly though, because I didnt get to test my deck more or less at all I was just guessing at what I need in here.. lol. Currently it is:
2x Jace Memory Adept
2x Render Silent
1x Banisher Priest
3x Essence Scatter
3x Celestial Flare
1x Revoke Instance
2x Pithing Needle
1x Fated Retribution

if theres anything I should be running in here that i'm not, please tell me.

Just for a recap, I went 4-3 drop with that list (I ended up getting to borrow 2 Jaces. -2 Spectres, +2 Jaces) in the GP, in retrospect I wish I had ran the Celestial Flares over the Azorius Charms in the main, and ran 3 other cards in the sideboard. I was siding out the Charms in most matchups, and I was usually putting in the Flares (I also agree, more Jaces and Mutavaults would have been more optimal.). I would also have taken the Jaces out of the sideboard, i'm not sure what 5 cards I would put in, in the SB though.

I lost one match because of not having celestial flares in maindeck, and then had bad draws in game 3, I think I would have won with maindeck flares.
The 2nd match I lost was because I didnt know Notion Theif was a thing, so i lost to a mono black splashing blue because he stole my Sphinx. So I needed more practice/game and card knowledge. So my own error.
Third game I lost was to a Esper control because I got land screwed two games in a row.

A few of the guys from my old team made day 2, but no one made top 16. We played in a few drafts and pretty much wrecked in those. On saturday night we ran a really nostalgic WoWTCG cube draft that was hell of a lot of fun.
www.twitch.tv/varanice
MCMcEmcee
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1609 Posts
March 26 2014 18:57 GMT
#10463
Sneak attack in griselbrand, hit for 7, draw 7, upheaval. Replay sneak attack and volcanic, untap, play mountain, sneak griselbrand and inferno titan for lethal. Sorry jitte.
Also t2 crucible t4 primetime for strip mine...
"Normal" cube is fun and interactive magic imo

Probably playing a sealed ptq this weekend. Sure wish I could actually practice sealed without a mtgo account.
[iHs]MCMcEmcee@UFO | のヮの
Audemed
Profile Joined November 2010
United States893 Posts
March 27 2014 01:25 GMT
#10464
Ok, i gotta ask:

Why do people abbreviate sphinx's revelation as "sphinx"?

Sphinx is the adjective.

It's "bolt" not "lightning"

It's "path" not "exile"

It's "leak" not "mana"

It's "snapcaster" not "mage"

It's always "noun" not "adjective"

So why is Rev the exception?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -George Orwell
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22658 Posts
March 27 2014 01:40 GMT
#10465
On March 27 2014 10:25 Audemed wrote:
Ok, i gotta ask:

Why do people abbreviate sphinx's revelation as "sphinx"?

Sphinx is the adjective.

It's "bolt" not "lightning"

It's "path" not "exile"

It's "leak" not "mana"

It's "snapcaster" not "mage"

It's always "noun" not "adjective"

So why is Rev the exception?

Ehm the common term is "rev for x" so that is already happening?
Donno what people in your area do.
It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
March 27 2014 02:24 GMT
#10466
"Snapcaster" is the adjective of Snapcaster Mage though...

I've heard it as "Sphinx" and "Rev". People would say whatever sounds best to them, which is the whole reason you shorten the word anyways
MoonBear
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Straight outta Johto18973 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-27 02:33:05
March 27 2014 02:31 GMT
#10467
On March 27 2014 01:28 Tennet wrote:
Would you guys be willing to critique my deck? I play modern and very casually.

+ Show Spoiler +

I'm trying to keep the costs dirt cheap since I have no intention to invest a ton and go competitive, it's just for fun.

This is a sac deck mostly because I like black/being a bit of a jerk ;P

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bloody-rage-1/

Unfortunately, some cards that are super awesome (some of these are in my maybeboard or just not there at all) but cost more than I'm willing to pay for a playset, unless the total deck price works out to be reasonable. (I'm willing to spend $30 after shipping. but I prefer to be even more frugal..)

If you're playing Black, there's really no reason not to have only 1 Thoughtseize/Inquisition/Duress somewhere in your 75. Murder is a terrible card (3CMC single-target removal is terrible). Replace it with Smother/Go For The Throat/Doomblade/Dismember depending on what you're scared of. You could also maybe try fit in the Haakon/Nameless Inversion combo if you really want to go full jank.

Beyond that idk what I'm really supposed to say if you don't really want to invest much in cards.


On March 27 2014 10:25 Audemed wrote:
Ok, i gotta ask:

Why do people abbreviate sphinx's revelation as "sphinx"?

Sphinx is the adjective.

It's "bolt" not "lightning"
It's "path" not "exile"
It's "leak" not "mana"
It's "snapcaster" not "mage"
It's always "noun" not "adjective"

So why is Rev the exception?

Isn't Snapcaster the adjective here? Anyway when you nickname card names you generally choose some identifying word (Spellstutter, Deathrite, Misty, Volcanic) which can be the noun or the adjective or something that makes it shorter (Tec[tonic], Waste[land]).
ModeratorA dream. Do you have one that has cursed you like that? Or maybe... a wish?
Audemed
Profile Joined November 2010
United States893 Posts
March 27 2014 03:11 GMT
#10468
Yes, i'm a derp.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -George Orwell
Darkwhite
Profile Joined June 2007
Norway355 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-27 07:00:40
March 27 2014 06:56 GMT
#10469
On March 27 2014 10:25 Audemed wrote:
Ok, i gotta ask:

Why do people abbreviate sphinx's revelation as "sphinx"?

Sphinx is the adjective.

It's "bolt" not "lightning"

It's "path" not "exile"

It's "leak" not "mana"

It's "snapcaster" not "mage"

It's always "noun" not "adjective"

So why is Rev the exception?


For reference, exactly zero of the words are adjectives; they're all nouns. Lightning, mana and snapcaster are noun adjuncts. Exile and Sphinx are nouns in possessive constructions.
Darker than the sun's light; much stiller than the storm - slower than the lightning; just like the winter warm.
Cel.erity
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4890 Posts
March 27 2014 07:08 GMT
#10470
I've never heard anybody call it Sphinx, but I've heard infinite people call it Revelation.
We found Dove in a soapless place.
semantics
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
10040 Posts
March 27 2014 07:20 GMT
#10471
Didn't think informal nick names needed a systematic approach.
On March 27 2014 15:56 Darkwhite wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 27 2014 10:25 Audemed wrote:
Ok, i gotta ask:

Why do people abbreviate sphinx's revelation as "sphinx"?

Sphinx is the adjective.

It's "bolt" not "lightning"

It's "path" not "exile"

It's "leak" not "mana"

It's "snapcaster" not "mage"

It's always "noun" not "adjective"

So why is Rev the exception?


For reference, exactly zero of the words are adjectives; they're all nouns. Lightning, mana and snapcaster are noun adjuncts. Exile and Sphinx are nouns in possessive constructions.

not entirely sure snapcaster has to be a noun adjunct though given it's an informal word.
Darkwhite
Profile Joined June 2007
Norway355 Posts
March 27 2014 15:27 GMT
#10472
On March 27 2014 16:20 semantics wrote:
Didn't think informal nick names needed a systematic approach.
Show nested quote +
On March 27 2014 15:56 Darkwhite wrote:
On March 27 2014 10:25 Audemed wrote:
Ok, i gotta ask:

Why do people abbreviate sphinx's revelation as "sphinx"?

Sphinx is the adjective.

It's "bolt" not "lightning"

It's "path" not "exile"

It's "leak" not "mana"

It's "snapcaster" not "mage"

It's always "noun" not "adjective"

So why is Rev the exception?


For reference, exactly zero of the words are adjectives; they're all nouns. Lightning, mana and snapcaster are noun adjuncts. Exile and Sphinx are nouns in possessive constructions.

not entirely sure snapcaster has to be a noun adjunct though given it's an informal word.


Caster is a definitely a noun, not an adjective. Generally speaking, prefixes do not change the lexical class, and snap is not an exception. This is super relevant to deck building.
Darker than the sun's light; much stiller than the storm - slower than the lightning; just like the winter warm.
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-27 15:41:26
March 27 2014 15:39 GMT
#10473
Because Sphinx's is both awkward to say out of context and a possessive. Same reason people called Sorin's Thirst just "Thirst" if it was getting cast, "Pharika's Cure" just "Cure" if it was shortened at all (and they're both functionally identical).

Also Garruk's Packleader just Packleader, etc.
Varanice
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States1517 Posts
March 27 2014 21:21 GMT
#10474
Im sorry. T_T
www.twitch.tv/varanice
obesechicken13
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States10467 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-28 00:26:27
March 28 2014 00:25 GMT
#10475
Anyone think Necropolis Regent is good for a standard deck? I'm impressed by the stats with flying already, but what I really like is the passive.

I bought one to put in my mono black deck along with 2 agent of the fates, and 3 desecration demons.
I think in our modern age technology has evolved to become more addictive. The things that don't give us pleasure aren't used as much. Work was never meant to be fun, but doing it makes us happier in the long run.
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
March 28 2014 00:38 GMT
#10476
In mono black, I don't think you want anymore 5 drops, and a 5 drop doesn't really have a place in an aggro. It might be decent in mono black mid range
obesechicken13
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States10467 Posts
March 28 2014 00:42 GMT
#10477
On March 28 2014 09:38 Whole wrote:
In mono black, I don't think you want anymore 5 drops, and a 5 drop doesn't really have a place in an aggro. It might be decent in mono black mid range

It's a 6.
I think in our modern age technology has evolved to become more addictive. The things that don't give us pleasure aren't used as much. Work was never meant to be fun, but doing it makes us happier in the long run.
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
March 28 2014 02:25 GMT
#10478
Why would you want a 6/5 flyer that doesn't impact the board immediately when you can play Gary at 5? Like maybe as a 1 of in MonoB but what do you cut?

Nightveil, Demon, Pack rat, Pain seer, and Gary are just good enough and the rest of the deck gains you cards or denys the opponent cards or removes them.


The problem with her is when you compare her to the usual 5 drop finishers even though she's at 6. Obzedat needs instant speed removal, Blood Baron has a really small pool of cards that answer it and Gary impacts the game immediately. The way MonoB Midrange plays she will require you to untap a lot before she gets value because she gets answered by a lot of things compared to the other finishers and comes down a turn later.
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
obesechicken13
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States10467 Posts
March 28 2014 02:50 GMT
#10479
On March 28 2014 11:25 Shotcoder wrote:
Why would you want a 6/5 flyer that doesn't impact the board immediately when you can play Gary at 5? Like maybe as a 1 of in MonoB but what do you cut?

Nightveil, Demon, Pack rat, Pain seer, and Gary are just good enough and the rest of the deck gains you cards or denys the opponent cards or removes them.


The problem with her is when you compare her to the usual 5 drop finishers even though she's at 6. Obzedat needs instant speed removal, Blood Baron has a really small pool of cards that answer it and Gary impacts the game immediately. The way MonoB Midrange plays she will require you to untap a lot before she gets value because she gets answered by a lot of things compared to the other finishers and comes down a turn later.

I dunno. I don't want to run too many Gary. I don't doubt his strength but I don't think he fits my style of playing for value. Rather he just wins games fast if the enemy life is low and loses them fast if the enemy life is high since other 5s have more lasting impact. I don't think it's an interesting card and I want to be different so I'd only run one gary.
I also only have one rat so far and don't intend to get more yet.
I don't have any pain seers yet but I should (want to) get 1 to try it out.
I like nightveil more now but mostly vs another part black deck. Also I no longer own any D:

Obzedat is part white so I don't think I can pay for him unless I run dual colors. I also don't own him.
Blood Baron I don't own either. I might splash some white hybrid lands for him if I had a few of him but as it stands I don't own him. I'd also need more hybrid lands soon and I might not play him unless it were against a white or black deck.


I know she gets answered by a lot but I'm just playing with friends right now and we all suck XD. I might go play with some school clubs too and some store events.
When I played her in duels of the planeswalkers 2014, Necropolis Regent was a very scary win con. I guess she's too slow vs people though like you say.
I think in our modern age technology has evolved to become more addictive. The things that don't give us pleasure aren't used as much. Work was never meant to be fun, but doing it makes us happier in the long run.
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
March 28 2014 03:08 GMT
#10480
The classic I want to be different just because. More than anything you are just being stubborn.
Get it by your hands...
Prev 1 522 523 524 525 526 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Big Brain Bouts
19:00
#129
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
RotterdaM402
IndyStarCraft 49
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 402
Lowko192
IndyStarCraft 49
MindelVK 11
StarCraft: Brood War
Free 3652
Stork 2513
Horang2 412
Jaedong 385
Soulkey 380
Zeus 369
Larva 265
Mini 244
Soma 220
BeSt 155
[ Show more ]
sorry 81
Mind 72
ZerO 65
Hyun 57
Pusan 56
Sexy 53
Last 42
Shinee 32
soO 32
scan(afreeca) 26
ajuk12(nOOB) 19
Sacsri 10
zelot 9
Dota 2
XcaliburYe311
canceldota52
League of Legends
JimRising 442
Other Games
gofns37259
singsing1965
Coldzera 692
Happy329
byalli232
Pyrionflax210
ZerO(Twitch)11
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV215
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 28
• StrangeGG 11
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV284
• lizZardDota2242
League of Legends
• Jankos3463
Upcoming Events
Online Event
1h 42m
AI Arena Tournament
6h 42m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
8h 42m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
23h 42m
Patches Events
1d 4h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 8h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 8h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.