• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:22
CEST 00:22
KST 07:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)16Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9305 users

New Pokemon Games: Black & White - Page 22

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 24 96 Next
Lord_of_Chaos
Profile Joined June 2007
Sweden372 Posts
March 07 2011 15:19 GMT
#421
Just got in to playing this, and apart from the little cutesie animations that only take annoying time here and there I'm starting to like it! Feels good with a new fresh pkmn game again

I noticed that they seem to be balancing experience. The higher level my pkmn is, the less experience they get. And reversed. As far as I understand that promotes using more pokemon in your team, to not waste too much exp.

I also for the first time ever read up on IV and EV and that stuff. I feel a I got a decent grasp of IV, but EV seems a bit harder. I hope you guys can answer a few questions about it:
If I catch two pokemon of the same species, and both are neutral personality, and they are caught on the same level, can I then immideately see who has the highest IV by just checking their visible stats?
Does it make a difference if a pokemon get's EV trained at a low level or a high level for its final stats?
If I train a pokemon normally, without considering EV, does it get about the same overall strength as a pokemon that has been specificly EV trained? Overall that is. Or is EV training only for boosting specific selected stats over others?
ReketSomething
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States6012 Posts
March 07 2011 15:32 GMT
#422
On March 08 2011 00:19 Lord_of_Chaos wrote:
If I catch two pokemon of the same species, and both are neutral personality, and they are caught on the same level, can I then immideately see who has the highest IV by just checking their visible stats?


Yes but there is a range. For example that level 33 with X attack might have an attack IV of 22-26. You can only tell if the pokemon is 100 (or around 100 for exact IV). Another way to find exact IV is to use a good calculator to find out its IV. Theres a calculator where you can save and then use rare candy, input that data, use rare candy, input that data, and then it will give you more accurate results (accurate meaning smaller range)

On March 08 2011 00:19 Lord_of_Chaos wrote:
Does it make a difference if a pokemon get's EV trained at a low level or a high level for its final stats?


No. Once your pokemon gets to 100, then it will all be the same.

On March 08 2011 00:19 Lord_of_Chaos wrote:
If I train a pokemon normally, without considering EV, does it get about the same overall strength as a pokemon that has been specificly EV trained?


EV pokemon is stronger but the stats add up to be the same. It is stronger in the sense in that there wont be useless stats in special attack when your pokemon is physical attacker and if you want your pokemon to be an attacker, having defense/hp/sp. defense might be unnecessary.

On March 08 2011 00:19 Lord_of_Chaos wrote:
Or is EV training only for boosting specific selected stats over others?

Definitely this. But keep in mind that if you put a number not divisible by 4 there will actually be less stats. For example, putting 3 on SpD and 3 on SpA give you no stats but putting 6 on SpA will give you 1 stat in SpA. Not that it really matters.
Jaedong :3
Zozo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Brazil2579 Posts
March 07 2011 15:44 GMT
#423
Ok, I just obliterated the last gym leader without dropping below 90% HP. Either this game is much easier then the others or I got some overpowered pokemon with me. Not a single fight was challenging, I hope it changes.

My team so far (victory road atm):

44 Samurott (Surf and starter, good stats)
45 Darmanitan (Completly broken, yet to see one pokemon that doesn't die in a hit. Stupid high attack, belly drum, trash, fire blitz and rest)
43 Cofagrigus (It's an OK ghost, but doesn't have a moveset I like, probably dropping this)
45 Liepard (Kinda boring, but hits hard and fast. Dropping this soon aswell)
46 Ferrothorn (This thing is a joke. If you don't have a strong fire move, it won't die. Ever. It's a brick wall with a very good ability and rocky helm equiped. Probably the reason this whole game is too easy, you shouldn't be able to catch it before Elite Four)
34 Rufflet (HM bitch. Cut, Fly and Strength)
EGM guides me
Lord_of_Chaos
Profile Joined June 2007
Sweden372 Posts
March 07 2011 15:45 GMT
#424
Thanks a lot
fOrQQ
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Hong Kong321 Posts
March 07 2011 17:23 GMT
#425
On March 08 2011 00:44 Zozo wrote:
Ok, I just obliterated the last gym leader without dropping below 90% HP. Either this game is much easier then the others or I got some overpowered pokemon with me. Not a single fight was challenging, I hope it changes.

My team so far (victory road atm):

44 Samurott (Surf and starter, good stats)
45 Darmanitan (Completly broken, yet to see one pokemon that doesn't die in a hit. Stupid high attack, belly drum, trash, fire blitz and rest)
43 Cofagrigus (It's an OK ghost, but doesn't have a moveset I like, probably dropping this)
45 Liepard (Kinda boring, but hits hard and fast. Dropping this soon aswell)
46 Ferrothorn (This thing is a joke. If you don't have a strong fire move, it won't die. Ever. It's a brick wall with a very good ability and rocky helm equiped. Probably the reason this whole game is too easy, you shouldn't be able to catch it before Elite Four)
34 Rufflet (HM bitch. Cut, Fly and Strength)


The game gets significantly (at least noticeably) harder post-plot.
I found the final battles somewhat challenging, but that was probably due to my style (1 overleveled pokemon, 1-2 decently leveled, 3-4 underleveled)

Just got to Undella Bay, my core team (non-competitive, no legendaries) is:

70 Emboar (Fire/Fighting with Wild Charge [vs Water] and Head Smash [vs Flying]?) Sign me up!
68 Hydreigon (Well rounded overall, looks awesome)
65 Bisharp (Very fast, strong physical; Dark/Steel is a great combo)
52 Haxorus (Dragon verson of Bisharp lol)

Probably gonna add Electross (Elec type with Levitate? Awwww yeahhhh) and a Psychic type, any suggestions?

I feel like I'm missing a large part of the game by ignoring anything regarding IVs and EVs, is this true? Or is it only valuable in the competitive scene? (Only played Red + Gold before this, neither competitively)
Ferrose
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States11378 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-07 17:30:44
March 07 2011 17:28 GMT
#426
I like Reuniclus for gen V Psychics. 125 Sp. Atk and 110 HP. Pretty nice. Sigilyph doesn't seem too bad if you don't mind the Flying hybrid. And there's always Victini, that Fire/Psychic event Pokemon.

Edit: Wow, Eelektross has Levitate? That seems kinda broken. I shoulda taught Smack Down to my Roggenrola after all >.>
@113candlemagic Office lady by day, lonely woman at night. | Official lolicon of thread 94273
Pvvned
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States409 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-07 17:35:34
March 07 2011 17:34 GMT
#427
On March 08 2011 02:28 Ferrose wrote:
I like Reuniclus for gen V Psychics. 125 Sp. Atk and 110 HP. Pretty nice. Sigilyph doesn't seem too bad if you don't mind the Flying hybrid. And there's always Victini, that Fire/Psychic event Pokemon.

Edit: Wow, Eelektross has Levitate? That seems kinda broken. I shoulda taught Smack Down to my Roggenrola after all >.>

Eelektross sucks aside from Levitate though. There are better electric pokemon, like the spider, or the zebra.

Reuniclus is a very good pokemon. I love it, especially with Trick Room since it has such low speed. Plus it looks cute. Bear inside some jelly? Yes please.
http://www.teamliquid.net/staff/R1CH/Happy2.gif
Ferrose
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States11378 Posts
March 07 2011 17:37 GMT
#428
On March 08 2011 02:34 Pvvned wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 08 2011 02:28 Ferrose wrote:
I like Reuniclus for gen V Psychics. 125 Sp. Atk and 110 HP. Pretty nice. Sigilyph doesn't seem too bad if you don't mind the Flying hybrid. And there's always Victini, that Fire/Psychic event Pokemon.

Edit: Wow, Eelektross has Levitate? That seems kinda broken. I shoulda taught Smack Down to my Roggenrola after all >.>

Eelektross sucks aside from Levitate though. There are better electric pokemon, like the spider, or the zebra.

Reuniclus is a very good pokemon. I love it, especially with Trick Room since it has such low speed. Plus it looks cute. Bear inside some jelly? Yes please.


I have the zebra, and I'm starting to hate him. He's incredibly fragile -_-

Is the spider any better?

Also, for everyone, Leavanny or Scolipede? I want a Bug Pokemon for when I finally open Black :x
@113candlemagic Office lady by day, lonely woman at night. | Official lolicon of thread 94273
fOrQQ
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Hong Kong321 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-07 17:39:06
March 07 2011 17:38 GMT
#429
I don't like using Event/Legendaries (which is why I don't have Zoroark in my party), and another Fire type is kinda redundant for me
Unfortunately I have Black so no Reuniclus for me except for trading.
Sigilyph will have to do I guess, least it's relatively fast :D

Having never played 3rd or 4th gen, I'm overwhelmed with all the new pokemon I can get post-game lol...
Ferrose
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States11378 Posts
March 07 2011 17:42 GMT
#430
On March 08 2011 02:38 fOrQQ wrote:
I don't like using Event/Legendaries (which is why I don't have Zoroark in my party), and another Fire type is kinda redundant for me
Unfortunately I have Black so no Reuniclus for me except for trading.
Sigilyph will have to do I guess, least it's relatively fast :D

Having never played 3rd or 4th gen, I'm overwhelmed with all the new pokemon I can get post-game lol...


I don't know quite how good Sigilyph is, but it's given me a lot of trouble. I tried to use Blitzle on it, and it basically got one shot since it has no Defense. Then Sigilyph's combo of Speed plus Psybeam was able to kill my Rocks before they could even get an attack off.
@113candlemagic Office lady by day, lonely woman at night. | Official lolicon of thread 94273
fOrQQ
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Hong Kong321 Posts
March 07 2011 17:46 GMT
#431
On March 08 2011 02:34 Pvvned wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 08 2011 02:28 Ferrose wrote:
I like Reuniclus for gen V Psychics. 125 Sp. Atk and 110 HP. Pretty nice. Sigilyph doesn't seem too bad if you don't mind the Flying hybrid. And there's always Victini, that Fire/Psychic event Pokemon.

Edit: Wow, Eelektross has Levitate? That seems kinda broken. I shoulda taught Smack Down to my Roggenrola after all >.>

Eelektross sucks aside from Levitate though. There are better electric pokemon, like the spider, or the zebra.

Reuniclus is a very good pokemon. I love it, especially with Trick Room since it has such low speed. Plus it looks cute. Bear inside some jelly? Yes please.


How is the spider or zebra beter than electross? Other than speed, I don't see any particularly glaring flaws (I'm a competitive noob however).

On March 08 2011 02:37 Ferrose wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 08 2011 02:34 Pvvned wrote:
On March 08 2011 02:28 Ferrose wrote:
I like Reuniclus for gen V Psychics. 125 Sp. Atk and 110 HP. Pretty nice. Sigilyph doesn't seem too bad if you don't mind the Flying hybrid. And there's always Victini, that Fire/Psychic event Pokemon.

Edit: Wow, Eelektross has Levitate? That seems kinda broken. I shoulda taught Smack Down to my Roggenrola after all >.>

Eelektross sucks aside from Levitate though. There are better electric pokemon, like the spider, or the zebra.

Reuniclus is a very good pokemon. I love it, especially with Trick Room since it has such low speed. Plus it looks cute. Bear inside some jelly? Yes please.


I have the zebra, and I'm starting to hate him. He's incredibly fragile -_-

Is the spider any better?

Also, for everyone, Leavanny or Scolipede? I want a Bug Pokemon for when I finally open Black :x


If you're willing to wait til post-game, try picking up Volcorona, that thing is a beast :O
Ferrose
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States11378 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-07 18:13:34
March 07 2011 18:07 GMT
#432
The fire moth thing?

I love how Clay is like some Texas oil executive. And his gym is a mine.

Edit: Archen has like the WORST ability. Ever. -_-
@113candlemagic Office lady by day, lonely woman at night. | Official lolicon of thread 94273
fOrQQ
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Hong Kong321 Posts
March 07 2011 18:42 GMT
#433
Yeah, it seems pretty good imo (good specials and speed).

+ Show Spoiler +
You can get it in egg form or catch at a high level later post-game


Any suggestion for a decent water type (gen 5)? I'm kinda leaning between Seisimtoad or Jellicent. Not a lot of them in gen 5, so maybe I'll pick one up from previous gen..
TOloseGT
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
United States1145 Posts
March 07 2011 19:06 GMT
#434
I have Archen, Darumaka, and Lilligant at level 33s, past the fourth gym, and I just picked up Vanillite.

I've been raping pretty much everything.
Ferrose
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States11378 Posts
March 07 2011 19:41 GMT
#435
Muahahaha, beat Clay's Excadrill with my Drilbur, causing Drilbur to evolve into Excadrill.
@113candlemagic Office lady by day, lonely woman at night. | Official lolicon of thread 94273
KaiserReinhard
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States554 Posts
March 07 2011 19:49 GMT
#436
My pal pad ID is 2580 2448 0688. Let us share wonderful pokemon adventures together.
twitch.tv/imkirok
Zozo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Brazil2579 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-07 20:11:41
March 07 2011 20:11 GMT
#437
On March 08 2011 02:23 fOrQQ wrote:
I feel like I'm missing a large part of the game by ignoring anything regarding IVs and EVs, is this true? Or is it only valuable in the competitive scene? (Only played Red + Gold before this, neither competitively)


Don't bother with IV and EV till you have access to all the areas, then choose a team and start breeding. You need to have control over the stuff you fight before leveling for the competitive part.
EGM guides me
fOrQQ
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Hong Kong321 Posts
March 07 2011 20:40 GMT
#438
On March 08 2011 05:11 Zozo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 08 2011 02:23 fOrQQ wrote:
I feel like I'm missing a large part of the game by ignoring anything regarding IVs and EVs, is this true? Or is it only valuable in the competitive scene? (Only played Red + Gold before this, neither competitively)


Don't bother with IV and EV till you have access to all the areas, then choose a team and start breeding. You need to have control over the stuff you fight before leveling for the competitive part.


I see. I'm guessing its not too useful if I wanna just do random battles?


I'll post friend code when I get a chance.
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
March 07 2011 20:52 GMT
#439
Omg, the second gym battle is a bitch.
I have the zebra, the grass monkey and my starter who just involved into some fat pig mother-fucker, ugliest shit in the world.

): Why do cute pokemon have to evolve into ugly shit.

Is it true Audino gives you a lot of exp? Some girl told me that on my way to the second gym leader.
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
holy_war
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States3590 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-07 21:16:44
March 07 2011 21:08 GMT
#440
On March 08 2011 05:52 Torte de Lini wrote:
Omg, the second gym battle is a bitch.
I have the zebra, the grass monkey and my starter who just involved into some fat pig mother-fucker, ugliest shit in the world.

): Why do cute pokemon have to evolve into ugly shit.

Is it true Audino gives you a lot of exp? Some girl told me that on my way to the second gym leader.


YES! Audino gives you a shit ton of exp. Just fought a lv 11 Audino with my lv 13 Lillipup and gained 686 EXP! It is ridiculous.

Edit: To fight Audinos over and over again, just walk around until a grass patch shakes. They give +2 HP EV's though =(
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 24 96 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 11h 39m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE125
Nina 118
Nathanias 51
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 16150
Artosis 323
White-Ra 316
ToSsGirL 27
Dota 2
monkeys_forever312
NeuroSwarm126
League of Legends
Doublelift3980
Counter-Strike
fl0m1347
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox630
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1893
Liquid`Hasu1521
Trikslyr56
Other Games
summit1g6631
Grubby3387
ArmadaUGS1119
shahzam558
C9.Mang0271
JimRising 228
Mew2King60
ZombieGrub60
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV216
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream125
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 35
• davetesta25
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 45
• Azhi_Dahaki26
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1129
• Scarra1031
• Shiphtur278
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
11h 39m
OSC
14h 39m
Stellar Fest
14h 39m
OSC
1d 1h
Stellar Fest
1d 14h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.