• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:33
CEST 16:33
KST 23:33
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Where can I find Flash replays that work? Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8060 users

TL Chess Match 3 - Page 16

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All
Lefnui
Profile Joined November 2008
United States753 Posts
March 10 2010 04:53 GMT
#301
On March 10 2010 00:57 Klive5ive wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 10 2010 00:49 CubEdIn wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
What about 21. ...g5? I know it's not a particularly strong move by black but it's annoying. We won't have any place on the 4th rank to take our rook to, and we'll have to move it back to h3/h2/h1 (h2 being the best I think), none of which seem really useful at this point, and we'll have lost tempo (again).

If we play Rh4 and he also does a silent move like Kb8, then our best option in my view would be to capture on c5, forcing 22. ...Bc5. I played with this line a bit and it seems to increase our attacking potential.

Also, I don't see what's wrong with his Qe4. We would trade queens, and then as I see it, we would trade our bishop/pawn for his knight/pawn, which isn't the best thing at this moment but the positioning should still be on our side.

I fail to think of a better move than Rh4 though, even though I don't like it. I'd vote Re1 but that would make the game stall even longer.

So yeah, Rh4 it is then.


Vote: 21. Rh4

+ Show Spoiler +
Are you aware of En passant?
21. Rh4 g5
22. hxg6
We can take the g pawn if he moves past us.


Edit: What's with all the negativity?! Claiming it's a draw or we've somehow lost tempo. We're in a decent position with a lot of Chess to play ahead.
By the way, Karpov has been in this exact position a few times.

And lost to a nobody in a simul.
Ikari
Profile Joined April 2007
United States176 Posts
March 10 2010 07:19 GMT
#302
21.Rh4
God Mode: Alt+F4
Klive5ive
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United Kingdom6056 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-10 13:12:45
March 10 2010 11:37 GMT
#303
On March 10 2010 13:53 Lefnui wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 10 2010 00:57 Klive5ive wrote:
On March 10 2010 00:49 CubEdIn wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
What about 21. ...g5? I know it's not a particularly strong move by black but it's annoying. We won't have any place on the 4th rank to take our rook to, and we'll have to move it back to h3/h2/h1 (h2 being the best I think), none of which seem really useful at this point, and we'll have lost tempo (again).

If we play Rh4 and he also does a silent move like Kb8, then our best option in my view would be to capture on c5, forcing 22. ...Bc5. I played with this line a bit and it seems to increase our attacking potential.

Also, I don't see what's wrong with his Qe4. We would trade queens, and then as I see it, we would trade our bishop/pawn for his knight/pawn, which isn't the best thing at this moment but the positioning should still be on our side.

I fail to think of a better move than Rh4 though, even though I don't like it. I'd vote Re1 but that would make the game stall even longer.

So yeah, Rh4 it is then.


Vote: 21. Rh4

+ Show Spoiler +
Are you aware of En passant?
21. Rh4 g5
22. hxg6
We can take the g pawn if he moves past us.


Edit: What's with all the negativity?! Claiming it's a draw or we've somehow lost tempo. We're in a decent position with a lot of Chess to play ahead.
By the way, Karpov has been in this exact position a few times.

And lost to a nobody in a simul.

Lol? + Show Spoiler +
More random negativity. I was talking off the top of my head before so I went and looked it up, turns out he plays from here a lot more than a few times.
In 2007 alone he won 8, drew 2 from this position. Including wins over Kasmidzhavoz and Guliyev. Stop being ridiculous.
Don't hate the player - Hate the game
Lefnui
Profile Joined November 2008
United States753 Posts
March 10 2010 23:00 GMT
#304
It's not negative to say that this is a drawish position, it's a fact. If you can't see that then you're a patzer.
jfazz
Profile Joined September 2009
Australia672 Posts
March 10 2010 23:45 GMT
#305
It is drawish, but I feel white has a nice edge - you can play for a win from here, and I will just have to defend. I think Rhe8 instead of Nf6 was a *slight* blunder, but nothing too serious. I certainly have played worse moves! :D
Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none
jfazz
Profile Joined September 2009
Australia672 Posts
March 11 2010 00:12 GMT
#306
UPDATE

21.Rh4 Bc7


[image loading]
Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none
Ikari
Profile Joined April 2007
United States176 Posts
March 11 2010 00:39 GMT
#307
22.Re1
God Mode: Alt+F4
Lefnui
Profile Joined November 2008
United States753 Posts
March 11 2010 04:27 GMT
#308
22.Re1
CubEdIn
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
Romania5359 Posts
March 11 2010 10:05 GMT
#309
22. Re1

..I'm tired of elaborating moves/ideas because of lack of contribution from most other players.
Im not a n00b, I just play like one.
Klive5ive
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United Kingdom6056 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-11 11:02:16
March 11 2010 10:24 GMT
#310
On March 11 2010 08:00 Lefnui wrote:
It's not negative to say that this is a drawish position, it's a fact. If you can't see that then you're a patzer.

You've changed your tune, you just said "and lost to a nobody in a simul"; as if our position was bad.

We've done well to get to this position. It's only a drawish position in the sense that Black is now playing for a draw. We are playing for a win.
However, with the quality of our opponent a win for us is still very unlikely.

On March 11 2010 13:27 Lefnui wrote:
22.Re1

+ Show Spoiler +
I don't really like that move, can you explain your thoughts? We put our Queen on e2 for a reason and the file isn't open yet. It seems a couple of moves too early.
A better move would be 22. Rc1 or we could consider Ne5.
I gotta go to work but I'll look into it in more detail soon.


Edit: Dam, now 3 of you vote Re1 with no reason? Just wait if you're not sure.
Don't hate the player - Hate the game
CubEdIn
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
Romania5359 Posts
March 11 2010 22:26 GMT
#311
On March 11 2010 19:24 Klive5ive wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 11 2010 08:00 Lefnui wrote:
It's not negative to say that this is a drawish position, it's a fact. If you can't see that then you're a patzer.

You've changed your tune, you just said "and lost to a nobody in a simul"; as if our position was bad.

We've done well to get to this position. It's only a drawish position in the sense that Black is now playing for a draw. We are playing for a win.
However, with the quality of our opponent a win for us is still very unlikely.

Show nested quote +
On March 11 2010 13:27 Lefnui wrote:
22.Re1

+ Show Spoiler +
I don't really like that move, can you explain your thoughts? We put our Queen on e2 for a reason and the file isn't open yet. It seems a couple of moves too early.
A better move would be 22. Rc1 or we could consider Ne5.
I gotta go to work but I'll look into it in more detail soon.


Edit: Dam, now 3 of you vote Re1 with no reason? Just wait if you're not sure.


I have my reasons but it's only you that's willing to actually explain their moves. Even if we both agree, I noticed that there are at least 4-5 more people that just vote what the previous person voted without giving any explanation for it. I'll just think on my own and try to come up with the best move. In this case, I happen to think that this will cause the least damage to our positional-play. I'm not 100% sure but unless others start to explain their choices, it's pretty pointless that we express ours. That's why I'm disappointed.
Im not a n00b, I just play like one.
Lefnui
Profile Joined November 2008
United States753 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-12 01:48:27
March 12 2010 01:35 GMT
#312
On March 11 2010 19:24 Klive5ive wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 11 2010 08:00 Lefnui wrote:
It's not negative to say that this is a drawish position, it's a fact. If you can't see that then you're a patzer.

You've changed your tune, you just said "and lost to a nobody in a simul"; as if our position was bad.

We've done well to get to this position. It's only a drawish position in the sense that Black is now playing for a draw. We are playing for a win.
However, with the quality of our opponent a win for us is still very unlikely.

Show nested quote +
On March 11 2010 13:27 Lefnui wrote:
22.Re1

+ Show Spoiler +
I don't really like that move, can you explain your thoughts? We put our Queen on e2 for a reason and the file isn't open yet. It seems a couple of moves too early.
A better move would be 22. Rc1 or we could consider Ne5.
I gotta go to work but I'll look into it in more detail soon.


Edit: Dam, now 3 of you vote Re1 with no reason? Just wait if you're not sure.

I haven't contradicted myself at all. As I said earlier, this is a drawish position. You mentioned that Karpov had been in the same position a number of times, as if that means it isn't drawish. If anything that supports the idea that it's dead even. I merely pointed out the fact that in one of those games you referenced he lost to a complete nobody in a simul. I doubt even Karpov could squeeze the opponent enough for a win in this situation, unless Black makes a mistake.

If I had said that White's position was terrible, or that we have to struggle for a draw then that would have been your favorite word, "negative". In reality all I did was state a fact: this is drawish. White is not playing for a win, there is barely any edge at all. And Black doesn't have to play for a draw, he already has it. All he has to do is follow through and keep from going wrong.
malathion
Profile Joined March 2009
United States362 Posts
March 12 2010 03:20 GMT
#313
Can you guys get a room please?
Decker247
Profile Joined January 2010
United States44 Posts
March 12 2010 04:28 GMT
#314
ne5 it attacks the opponents quenn giving more movable space to work with and 1 extra move next moves will then be advantageous for white
Why Am i Bad
jfazz
Profile Joined September 2009
Australia672 Posts
March 13 2010 08:35 GMT
#315
UPDATE

22.Re1 Qb6


[image loading]
Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none
Arhkangel
Profile Joined August 2007
Argentina769 Posts
March 13 2010 15:46 GMT
#316
WTF?!?!

+ Show Spoiler +
Did jfazz just did a MAYOR screw up? He just tied all of his pieces and his trades are not as good.


+ Show Spoiler +
Now I'm kinda lost here... But! I think a good move could be Ne5? Safely trade his bishop for our Knight and give our Rooks some breathing room, while still suntanning good control over the center of the board.


+ Show Spoiler +
Ne5 Bxe5, Qxe5 ..., d5 ....


If someone could help me continue that line up there I would appreciate it :D

Oh, yeah and stop the silly arguments, and Cube dude seriously that was your excuse for not posting an analysis? "Nobody's posting one so I wont either"? >.< Come on guys this is supposed to be fun! Our position is OK but jfazz is good enough so that OK migh not cut it. Can we leave it at that?

+ Show Spoiler +
Now I really think we just caught a break here even thou Ne5 would had been better on the short term since jfazz MIGHT had screwed up that Re1 move could become pretty useful.
Part Time Ninja
Arhkangel
Profile Joined August 2007
Argentina769 Posts
March 13 2010 15:59 GMT
#317
Any big tournaments happening in Western Europe during the summer? I might visit Amsterdam for Sensation White.
Part Time Ninja
Klive5ive
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United Kingdom6056 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-13 19:33:54
March 13 2010 19:22 GMT
#318
On March 14 2010 00:46 Arhkangel wrote:
WTF?!?!

+ Show Spoiler +
Did jfazz just did a MAYOR screw up? He just tied all of his pieces and his trades are not as good.


+ Show Spoiler +
Now I'm kinda lost here... But! I think a good move could be Ne5? Safely trade his bishop for our Knight and give our Rooks some breathing room, while still suntanning good control over the center of the board.


+ Show Spoiler +
Ne5 Bxe5, Qxe5 ..., d5 ....


If someone could help me continue that line up there I would appreciate it :D

Oh, yeah and stop the silly arguments, and Cube dude seriously that was your excuse for not posting an analysis? "Nobody's posting one so I wont either"? >.< Come on guys this is supposed to be fun! Our position is OK but jfazz is good enough so that OK migh not cut it. Can we leave it at that?

+ Show Spoiler +
Now I really think we just caught a break here even thou Ne5 would had been better on the short term since jfazz MIGHT had screwed up that Re1 move could become pretty useful.


+ Show Spoiler +
Ne5 is bad now, he can just play xd4 and we lose material.
23. Ne5 xd4
If we take 24. Nxf7 xBc3 we lose.
If we swap off on d4 we still lose.

Our new plan has to be to attack down our Queenside. Probably 23. a2 is a good move now. Attempting to play 24. Ka2.
If he swaps off xd4 he won't win in the exchange

Edit: Actually to that end we could play 23. xc5
23 ... Qxc5
24. Bxf6 xf6 (we've doubled his pawns up)
25. a2 Now we can play a2 followed by Ka2 and try and break through. If we do that move order we free up our Knight to assist and leave little space for the black bishop to get into play.

If anyone wants to add to my analysis that would be great. At the moment I'm leaning on 23. xc5.
Don't hate the player - Hate the game
Ikari
Profile Joined April 2007
United States176 Posts
March 13 2010 20:21 GMT
#319
23.Qe3
+ Show Spoiler +
23...cxd4 24.Bxd4 Qa5
God Mode: Alt+F4
CubEdIn
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
Romania5359 Posts
March 14 2010 12:45 GMT
#320
On March 14 2010 05:21 Ikari wrote:
23.Qe3
+ Show Spoiler +
23...cxd4 24.Bxd4 Qa5


+ Show Spoiler +
True, but after that:

25. Ne5 Bxe5
26 Qxe5 Qxe5
27. Bxe5

...and we got him an open d-file, even though we got rid of his bishop as planned

I do agree that a queen move is best now, I just can't decide on which queen move.
My friend says Qc2 would be a good idea since it locks down the c2->h7 diagonal and strengthens our middle a bit more. I played this out and it can't really interfere with our exchanges, so it seems a better idea than Qe3.

So... 23. Qc2?



Im not a n00b, I just play like one.
Prev 1 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 27m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech134
Codebar 14
StarCraft: Brood War
EffOrt 987
Soma 878
Mini 813
ggaemo 418
Rush 388
Horang2 365
BeSt 310
Light 310
actioN 297
Stork 284
[ Show more ]
Larva 277
Snow 230
hero 186
Barracks 166
Killer 129
firebathero 112
Zeus 102
Sea.KH 74
JYJ 64
Mong 63
Aegong 56
Sharp 49
ToSsGirL 38
Shinee 36
soO 28
Sexy 26
Bale 24
zelot 20
Shine 18
sorry 17
Terrorterran 17
Rock 13
Sacsri 12
Icarus 10
Dewaltoss 9
JulyZerg 8
Dota 2
Gorgc7158
qojqva1511
Dendi825
XaKoH 464
420jenkins53
Counter-Strike
Fnx 692
kRYSTAL_676
edward79
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes4724
Khaldor417
Other Games
gofns48842
singsing1739
B2W.Neo905
byalli550
Lowko391
DeMusliM231
Liquid`VortiX172
mouzStarbuck155
Livibee144
ArmadaUGS108
KnowMe104
amsayoshi22
Chillindude19
Railgan17
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV279
BasetradeTV183
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream170
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 69
• mYiSmile116
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 28
• FirePhoenix7
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV372
League of Legends
• Nemesis2199
• Jankos1813
• TFBlade603
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
9h 27m
Kung Fu Cup
20h 27m
The PondCast
1d 19h
OSC
1d 22h
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.