• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:33
CEST 08:33
KST 15:33
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8431 users

Torchlight II - Page 91

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 89 90 91 92 93 95 Next
TeamLiquid Steam Group for Torchlight 2
happyft
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States470 Posts
October 20 2012 04:10 GMT
#1801
On October 20 2012 10:07 wooozy wrote:
i'd say it depends on what you're into. D3 is much more challenging and grindy due to the nature of its RNG on item rolls. in TL2 it only took me 2-3 days of level 100 grinding to acquire BiS gears for my outlander (legitimately, mind you) because end game items drop so frequently and even if you get one for another class, it's so easy to trade with one another via forums/IRC. now she kills level 105 bosses in 1-2 hits (yes, on elite. my venomous hail crits for like 500k total) and it's kind of a joke. =\ that isn't to say D3 is great either though. D3 is fundamentally flawed in the sense that you're pretty much pigeon-holed into stacking main stat/vit/resists and crit. additionally there isn't much build variety whereas TL2 seems to have a bunch for each class

overall, if you're not concerned about the super end game and want a more chill game to just slay enemies, i'd go with TL2. i'd suggest not playing outlander though lol. most polished class, but also seems to be the most boring. stack mana regen -> spam glaives

edit: for reference, TL2 lasted me ~80 hours before i got all best in slot gears and got bored (granted i only played outlander) whereas i have 500+ hours on D3 (300 from monk, my main class, if you want a more fair comparison to the 80)


Great post, agree with all that's been said, though I'd like to add some more points.

Yes outlander can kill bosses in only a couple of shots, but that's if you've figured out all the ways to optimize the build to reach there. And if you aren't playing with an engineer, you still have to make sure you don't get OHKO'd. And therein lies a big difference between D3 and TL2 that wooozy didn't mention: in TL2 even if you have crazy dps you still need to dodge attacks, which are range from easy to hard to dodge, but all are possible to dodge. And if your build sucks, you can still progress with really good micro -- albeit it'll take much longer. But in D3, there are quite a few elites that you just can't micro around -- how do you micro against jailer, waller, vortex and reflect damage? And it's even worse if you're melee.

And perhaps wooozy spent 500+ hours on D3, but how much of that was truly enjoyable? For myself, I think TL2 is 100x more fun to play. It is "easier" in a sense that you don't need to grind insane equipment just to beat elites that you can't micro against, you just have to beat them with brute force. But I think that just means TL2 is much better designed, and thus much more enjoyable and fun.
wooozy
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
3813 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-20 06:13:36
October 20 2012 05:56 GMT
#1802
not disagreeing with you at all, but i just want to say that pretty much all of it (D3, that is) was enjoyable to me, but that's primarily because i enjoy the grind. i played ragnarok for eight years straight so i'm practically a grinding zombie. definitely agree that TL2 was much more fun in terms of microing around (dodging all those homing projectiles/rune vaulting away from dash attacks) because fights were so fast paced, but in the long run, D3 is better for me because the grind rewards me with real moneyzzzzzzzz

edit: and to be fair, jailer you can break with whatever CC removal your class has, walls you can run around (unless elite waller i guess), and reflect damage isn't avoidable in TL2 either afaik. nvm reflect was an aura type thing that went down after a certain time. there may be some really dumb affixes that aren't really microable against, but at the same time there's a ton of stuff to micro against as well: molten trail/explosions, electrify (unless you're melee), plague, arcane, frozen orbs, desocrate. some affix combinations make it feel like a bullet dodge game.

i remember some of my favorite moments being really early on, somewhere after the first patch that made smoke screen not permanent. i decided to make a DH because they could still farm inferno as a glass cannon (monk was my first roll and they couldn't farm inferno until the game got more figured out/until i got gold) and i pretty much had to dodge EVERYTHING. getting hit by a white mob's projectiles would kill me, and that made traversing through the keeps in a3 both insanely fun and frustrating. against reflect mobs i would shoot three nether tents and smoke right before they hit and then proceed to run around and dodge shit until i had the mana again. against certain mob types, reflect damage made these fights extremely micro-intensive and fun :D
happyft
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States470 Posts
October 21 2012 05:56 GMT
#1803
Makes sense. Speaking for myself, I did not enjoy that kind of grind, nor the kind of fights that D3 had to offer. And I always thought it was bad game design that you have to rely upon your invincibility power to defeat mobs.

Welp, I just finished NG++ and hit lvl 100. Pretty satisfying to know I got this far. My overall eq isn't that great, but my pistols are awesome ... 8k uncharged dps. Tack on the 60% crit chance at 270% crit bonus damage and 175% poison dmg bonus, +25% elemental overload, and +45% flaming glaives dmg amp.

Gotta say though, pretty disappointed at the stuff the Vendor Boon guy sells. Saved up 500k, which turned out to be enough to buy everything he had (most things were 35k). He only had 1 weapon (a zerker 1h), and about 20 armors (most were zerkers and engies, only 1-2 mage and outlanders). And then lvl equipment was like 75-90, only a couple 90+.
HolydaKing
Profile Joined February 2010
21254 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-21 06:53:18
October 21 2012 06:49 GMT
#1804
The reason i did not enjoy the grind in Diablo 3 is that it was totally unrewarding. That's because the AH. Drop rates were OK, but the items that dropped were 99,9% crap. Don't know if that changed by now, i haven't played it since probably 6 months or something...

I've found one 10+ million item in over 200 hours. I say 10+ million because it's a trading game, you didn't really find many items for yourself. Or let's say those were not good in comparison to the stuff you'd see in the AH, and at the time i played not good enough to have fun in Inferno. Fun is not the same for everyone though... i don't have fun dying 10-20 times per hour. Only had a bit of fun with my Monk, which at least was able to farm Act 3 semi safely.


Of course all of that is old by now, it might have changed. Either way, i like Torchlight 2 so far and hope it stays like that for a while.
MysteryTerran
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
United States178 Posts
October 31 2012 20:30 GMT
#1805
Great game, just need more ppl to play with! Usually play solo.. If anyone wants to link up PM me I have a couple chars in the 90s. Sick of playing alone lol
Playing Protoss is like playing Guitar Hero on Very Easy
volcryn
Profile Joined November 2010
United States149 Posts
November 02 2012 06:24 GMT
#1806
Right now I have my 100 embermage (Eski)in NG+++, but im mostly playing my 89 zerker (Valencia)in NG+. I have quite a few other characters as well (55 Engi-Astalia). Im just about done item farming now, need a few more skulls, but I am still playing and hosting games. Runic account is volcryn, and I always host under the game name "There be Dargons"
ZaplinG
Profile Blog Joined February 2005
United States3818 Posts
November 10 2012 19:04 GMT
#1807
I have held off buying this game for a while to see if people were still happy with it months later...

...so should I buy it? Do you guys have any regrets?
Don't believe the florist when he tells you that the roses are free
Steveling
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Greece10806 Posts
November 10 2012 19:05 GMT
#1808
On November 11 2012 04:04 ZaplinG wrote:
I have held off buying this game for a while to see if people were still happy with it months later...

...so should I buy it? Do you guys have any regrets?


Nope, it's totally awesome. Get it now.
My dick has shrunk to the point where it looks like I have 3 balls.
Slardar
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada7596 Posts
November 10 2012 20:32 GMT
#1809
YOU BUY NOWWWWW!!!!!!!

Torchlight 2 is definitely worth $20, I'd pay $40-60 for the game to be honest. Unfortunately like all hack n slash games, it comes to an end. Enjoy the fun ride while it lasts!
garbanzo
Profile Joined October 2009
United States4046 Posts
November 15 2012 14:58 GMT
#1810
Buy it! I'm still trying to get all my friends to buy it and I still consistently play it. Totally worth it.
Even during difficult times, when I sat down to play the game, there were times where it felt like god has descended down and played [for me].
Sufficiency
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada23833 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-22 10:15:29
November 22 2012 10:10 GMT
#1811
I just got this game and decided to play an embermage (single player). Can someone tell me what to max first? I played TL1 but did not play the mage class. Do I need to spec into two different elemental trees? If I just need a single tree I am thinking fire, but I don't know which abilities are actually useful.
https://twitter.com/SufficientStats
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12011 Posts
November 22 2012 11:57 GMT
#1812
Most of them are.

You can pretty much do whatever you like, though certain skills obviously work better together then others.

My Ember mage is built pretty much for pure fire, I use and max Magma Lance, Blazing Pillar, Firestorm and Infernal Collapse. You obviously should put one point into Frost Phase no matter what you do, and all of the Lvl 14 masteries deserve one point, the contribute a large part to your damage if you have a few points in Elemental Attunement. As a Fire mage, i also maxed Fire Brand. I heard that builds focussed around prismatic bolt are very good, too. Basically, there are many different ways to play which all work. Do what you like.
zbedlam
Profile Joined October 2010
Australia549 Posts
November 22 2012 12:22 GMT
#1813
On November 11 2012 04:04 ZaplinG wrote:
I have held off buying this game for a while to see if people were still happy with it months later...

...so should I buy it? Do you guys have any regrets?


Yeah it's a great game, still playing it. Gameplay feels like an improved Diablo 2 but the community isn't as strong from what I have seen.
Nobu
Profile Joined June 2010
Spain550 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-27 03:23:04
November 27 2012 03:22 GMT
#1814
Have to bump the thread! 50% off on steam, more if you buy the 4pack version. I'm totally going to buy it tomorrow, hope to get some friends into it too
"There's farmers and there's gamers, farmers get up early, gamers sleep in." Artosis
Sufficiency
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada23833 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-01 02:44:15
December 01 2012 02:44 GMT
#1815
All I want is a good 2H melee weapon, but I keep finding these garbage Outlander/Berserker items. QQ.
https://twitter.com/SufficientStats
chaos021
Profile Joined March 2012
United States258 Posts
December 01 2012 05:19 GMT
#1816
On December 01 2012 11:44 Sufficiency wrote:
All I want is a good 2H melee weapon, but I keep finding these garbage Outlander/Berserker items. QQ.


I know what you mean. I'm looking for any decent wands or armor for an Embermage and I keep getting more equipment for the same.
Sufficiency
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada23833 Posts
December 01 2012 06:20 GMT
#1817
On December 01 2012 14:19 chaos021 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 01 2012 11:44 Sufficiency wrote:
All I want is a good 2H melee weapon, but I keep finding these garbage Outlander/Berserker items. QQ.


I know what you mean. I'm looking for any decent wands or armor for an Embermage and I keep getting more equipment for the same.


And I found yet another unique claw. Let me add that to my already massive collection (including a legendary one)
https://twitter.com/SufficientStats
banatboy
Profile Joined December 2012
120 Posts
December 02 2012 03:47 GMT
#1818
was thinking of downloading the game, is it any good?
seRapH
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States9827 Posts
December 02 2012 12:56 GMT
#1819
1) It's probably among top 3 ARPGs to come out this year.
2) It's fucking $20 at full price.
3) Buying it is indirectly sticking it to Blizzard North (and kinda sorta Activision).
boomer hands
Spiffeh
Profile Joined May 2010
United States830 Posts
December 02 2012 13:09 GMT
#1820
It's one of those games where even on the small chance that you don't love it, you'll play it enough to get you $20 worth (and probably more). Buy the 4-pack if you're cheap. The devs just want you to play it and have fun. Do it!
Prev 1 89 90 91 92 93 95 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 132
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1753
ggaemo 534
910 510
Yoon 260
Mong 109
Shuttle 100
Dewaltoss 93
actioN 66
Hm[arnc] 40
soO 34
[ Show more ]
Bale 27
yabsab 23
Noble 20
ZergMaN 19
Icarus 10
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm182
League of Legends
JimRising 610
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1097
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor756
Other Games
summit1g8844
C9.Mang0312
Happy221
PiGStarcraft163
Mew2King123
ceh9115
ArmadaUGS43
trigger15
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream126
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 32
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2345
League of Legends
• Rush1201
• Lourlo1088
• Stunt415
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
6h 27m
OSC
15h 27m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 3h
Online Event
1d 4h
FEL
1d 9h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 10h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 12h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.