• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:23
CEST 05:23
KST 12:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8995 users

Smash Bros. Melee General Discussion - Page 20

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 18 19 20 21 22 188 Next
We have created an irc channel (#tl-smash on Quakenet) for people to find others to play with on Dolphin or just to chat about Smash. Feel free to join!
BrTarolg
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United Kingdom3574 Posts
March 19 2010 23:22 GMT
#381
Marths have pretty much been the same since kens era give or a take a few minor improvements

Dont tell me todays fox/falcos are ANYTHING like bombsoldiers era lol

Transferring from mid->midhigh (or "breaking B level" as i like to call it) is a really difficult barrier
Shiek+marth matchups are sort of "worked out" in that both characters are nowadays running out of options vs spacies
Falcon is probably the character who will see the most improvement from now on, since people are getting over his weaknesses and beginning to realise his speed the same way fox/falco users are (especially falco users)

People who still play marth are absolute masters of execution and consistency
People who sitll play shiek are masters of metagame and game knowledge
EmeraldSparks
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States1451 Posts
March 19 2010 23:26 GMT
#382
On March 18 2010 22:11 Gustav_Wind wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 17 2010 05:15 Mogwai wrote:
Marth? The best character? Please, not even close. At theoretical maximums, Magus hypothesizes that only Fox, Falco and Bowser would be viable because they all have moves with 1st frame invincibility and invincible ledge stalls.

Taking it to a less severe extreme, Fox is still the best, no question. Falco is probably second best, and then most likely Sheik. Marth suffers from the horrible inability to actually create anything for himself. He relies solely on his opponent making mistakes and punishing them, and it shows through at the top level of play where players aren't making many mistakes any more.

It's really telling to his potential that he has only been placing worse as the metagame has progressed over the last two years. At this point, Marth is just a Jigglypuff who can actually be comboed, which means he's still pretty good, but he's just not top tier any more.


so do you not think Jiggs is debatably 2nd or 3rd best? She doesn't seem to have bad matchups, stemming from the huge disparity between her ability to punish and other characters' ability to punish her. I always hear that Fox can just laser camp her or something but it doesn't seem very safe from how high-level matches actually play out.

jiggs has a bad matchup against roy
But why?
crate
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States2474 Posts
March 20 2010 00:36 GMT
#383
On March 20 2010 04:39 Mogwai wrote:
Good Falcos and Jiggs started coming out of the woodwork 2 years ago

Mango and Hbox are very very good, but I don't think I'd call 2 players "Jiggs coming out of the woodwork"
We did. You did. Yes we can. No. || http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/crate.html || twitch.tv/crate3333
Mogwai
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States13274 Posts
March 20 2010 02:42 GMT
#384
On March 20 2010 08:26 EmeraldSparks wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 18 2010 22:11 Gustav_Wind wrote:
On March 17 2010 05:15 Mogwai wrote:
Marth? The best character? Please, not even close. At theoretical maximums, Magus hypothesizes that only Fox, Falco and Bowser would be viable because they all have moves with 1st frame invincibility and invincible ledge stalls.

Taking it to a less severe extreme, Fox is still the best, no question. Falco is probably second best, and then most likely Sheik. Marth suffers from the horrible inability to actually create anything for himself. He relies solely on his opponent making mistakes and punishing them, and it shows through at the top level of play where players aren't making many mistakes any more.

It's really telling to his potential that he has only been placing worse as the metagame has progressed over the last two years. At this point, Marth is just a Jigglypuff who can actually be comboed, which means he's still pretty good, but he's just not top tier any more.


so do you not think Jiggs is debatably 2nd or 3rd best? She doesn't seem to have bad matchups, stemming from the huge disparity between her ability to punish and other characters' ability to punish her. I always hear that Fox can just laser camp her or something but it doesn't seem very safe from how high-level matches actually play out.

jiggs has a bad matchup against roy

lol, just sorta on low ceiling stages and reverse blazer is still hard as hell to hit. It's even on stages where Roy can hit it IMO and brutally terrible for Roy on stages where it doesn't work.

On March 20 2010 09:36 crate wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 20 2010 04:39 Mogwai wrote:
Good Falcos and Jiggs started coming out of the woodwork 2 years ago

Mango and Hbox are very very good, but I don't think I'd call 2 players "Jiggs coming out of the woodwork"

Darc and Raistlin were pretty unknown until recently, despite Darc being totally badass for a long time (even though he's a bisu fan ).
mogwaismusings.wordpress.com
Hiicantpk
Profile Joined March 2009
Canada72 Posts
March 20 2010 04:14 GMT
#385
I can be very sneaky with combos using pikachu. Nowhere near as good as some of my pro friends, but i manage.

Main: Pikachu, Marth, Link occasionally, Zelda occasionally
Active: Not recently, but i can still do some of the stuff i used to be able to.
Location: Niagara Reigon, ON.
Defence bound and Shit like that
JIJIyO
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Canada1957 Posts
March 20 2010 23:13 GMT
#386
On March 20 2010 11:42 Mogwai wrote:
Darc being totally badass for a long time (even though he's a bisu fan ).

Disgusting.
KT_Violet
Gustav_Wind
Profile Joined July 2008
United States646 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-21 01:57:15
March 21 2010 01:52 GMT
#387
Mogwai that list looks really really good, though I didn't really pay attention to below Pikachu because I have no idea about that. The only things I would maybe disagree with I'm unsure about, and those are only like swapping characters that are right next to each other.

Falco above Fox is interesting and I've never really considered it seriously because of how strong the conventional wisdom is on Fox being the best, but I can get behind that.

I agree with Marth's place in the order (5th best), and based on tournament results he's clearly out of top tier. From the point of view of matchups it's less clear. He's in some in-between space that used to be occupied by Peach years ago.

To me it always seemed like the clear distinction between a Top and High tier character was that a Top tier character had no more than 1 worse than even matchup, and that matchup would only be a small disadvantage. This still fits for Fox, Sheik, Jiggs, and Falco; it no longer does for Marth. Still his bad matchups are markedly better than a definitely High-tiered character like Falcon.

I guess he has to go somewhere, though, and High seems fine.
See.Blue
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States2673 Posts
March 21 2010 20:07 GMT
#388
Does anyone who plays live in Boston area perchance?

PS Happy birthday Mogwai
Mogwai
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States13274 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-21 20:27:15
March 21 2010 20:26 GMT
#389
ty, even though my bdai is really tomorrow... silly Korean time thing :p...

Mass has a decent scene, but I think it's mostly like, southern Mass around Springfield and they're pretty young for the most part, so I dunno how far they travel aside for tournies. I don't think I know any Mass Smashers who are into Starcraft, though :\.

I'm going to be making a thread on smashboards about my tier list with some justifications and discussions on all the placements, I'll link it here when I make it.
mogwaismusings.wordpress.com
See.Blue
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States2673 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-21 20:47:34
March 21 2010 20:47 GMT
#390
Awesome, thanks- would love to give it a read. I go to the weekly smash thing at BU (being a BU undergrad makes it easy, lol) and have just started gettin into competitive play in the past 2 months or so but thats about it. Also, any suggestions as to a good second character to compliment a Marth main?
JIJIyO
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Canada1957 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-21 20:50:40
March 21 2010 20:50 GMT
#391
Anyone here who doesn't like how SC2 is looking feel like it's going to become Brawl? I know it's the beta stages, but it just looks like mass up units with a good composition and 1a your armies into each other. If SC2 really does turn out to be a boring game to watch and play, I'll probably stick to SC even if the foreign scene dies out.

When I first played Brawl I was like wtf is this slow shit. Then after trying to play it more with the "competitive" style, it just made me sad. I went back to Melee, and even though I don't really play with people a lot and have never been to a tournament, I'm happy.

Oh and HBD Mogwai!
KT_Violet
See.Blue
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States2673 Posts
March 21 2010 20:53 GMT
#392
On March 22 2010 05:50 JIJIyO wrote:
Anyone here who doesn't like how SC2 is looking feel like it's going to become Brawl? I know it's the beta stages, but it just looks like mass up units with a good composition and 1a your armies into each other. If SC2 really does turn out to be a boring game to watch and play, I'll probably stick to SC even if the foreign scene dies out.

When I first played Brawl I was like wtf is this slow shit. Then after trying to play it more with the "competitive" style, it just made me sad. I went back to Melee, and even though I don't really play with people a lot and have never been to a tournament, I'm happy.

Oh and HBD Mogwai!


Haha yeah. There's a weekly smash gathering at my school, maybe 2 TVs of melee and 3 of brawl. We'll be playing melee and hear things like "Oh shit, short hop" coming from the Brawl TVs... It makes me sad.
Athos
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States2484 Posts
March 21 2010 21:00 GMT
#393
I don't know about Jigglypuff being the best overall, but it's certainly my best in that it's really really easy to use and I have really low APM. I've been wondering why it hasn't been pushed to top tier for years now.
BrTarolg
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United Kingdom3574 Posts
March 22 2010 01:40 GMT
#394
Jiggly requires a very different mindset to play compared to the rest of the characters and many players arnt able to grasp this so there are fewer jiggs players to advance her game

I dont really know where you're at but once you play people who can get past her generic gay spacing (in the same way people "get over" playing vs marth) all of a sudden it becomes really difficult
Mogwai
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States13274 Posts
March 22 2010 02:15 GMT
#395
On March 22 2010 10:40 BrTarolg wrote:
Jiggly requires a very different mindset to play compared to the rest of the characters and many players arnt able to grasp this so there are fewer jiggs players to advance her game

I dont really know where you're at but once you play people who can get past her generic gay spacing (in the same way people "get over" playing vs marth) all of a sudden it becomes really difficult

I wouldn't say she's much of a different mindset for Marth tbh. Her combos are less dynamic and she's more aerial than grounded, but the general principles of high level play are pretty similar between the two of them.

But, yea, totally agree with you about the hitting a wall thing. It's just like Marth and Sheik... you get to a certain level and suddenly everyone has seen your generic shit before and you just get raped.
mogwaismusings.wordpress.com
Gustav_Wind
Profile Joined July 2008
United States646 Posts
March 22 2010 12:15 GMT
#396
On March 22 2010 05:50 JIJIyO wrote:
Anyone here who doesn't like how SC2 is looking feel like it's going to become Brawl? I know it's the beta stages, but it just looks like mass up units with a good composition and 1a your armies into each other. If SC2 really does turn out to be a boring game to watch and play, I'll probably stick to SC even if the foreign scene dies out.

When I first played Brawl I was like wtf is this slow shit. Then after trying to play it more with the "competitive" style, it just made me sad. I went back to Melee, and even though I don't really play with people a lot and have never been to a tournament, I'm happy.

Oh and HBD Mogwai!


I think the parallels were pretty clear immediately to people who follow both series (smash and sc).

The difference though was that Brawl was 1). released as a final product and 2). designed with some explicitly anti-competitive features in mind.

Blizzard supposedly is dedicated to making SC2 a good e-sport, and there are many many revisions to come, so there's still room for improvement.
See.Blue
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States2673 Posts
March 22 2010 14:24 GMT
#397
On March 22 2010 21:15 Gustav_Wind wrote:
and there are many many revisions to come, so there's still room for improvement.


This pretty much hits it on the head. Brawl was released as a complete product ready to be played and just fell short competitively. SC2 has a whole team of developers dedicated to patching and tweaking it into a true successor to SC:BW. I have the utmost faith they will eventually succeed.
Shiragaku
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Hong Kong4308 Posts
April 26 2010 01:59 GMT
#398
Now that brawl is released, does anyone still play melee? Since I do not have a Wii, I mostly play with my sister who is specialized in Ness and Shiek (I am Marth)
DarkOptik
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
452 Posts
April 26 2010 02:08 GMT
#399
Most certainly. Brawl has been out for...I want to say two years now? Still, most of the major Smash tournaments still have Melee as a main event.
Crisis_
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States165 Posts
April 26 2010 02:10 GMT
#400
Smoke2Jointz, where you at?
Prev 1 18 19 20 21 22 188 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft449
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta117
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft495
PiGStarcraft449
RuFF_SC2 199
SpeCial 57
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1338
Hyuk 50
Bale 31
Noble 27
Icarus 8
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm184
Counter-Strike
taco 606
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox707
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor652
Other Games
summit1g9848
Coldzera 817
JimRising 483
C9.Mang0318
Sick104
ViBE74
ArmadaUGS38
Liquid`Ken4
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick733
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream93
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 99
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo765
• Stunt250
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
6h 37m
Online Event
7h 37m
FEL
12h 37m
AI Arena Tournament
13h 37m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
15h 37m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 6h
INu's Battles
1d 8h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 15h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 15h
Replay Cast
1d 20h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.