• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:27
CEST 14:27
KST 21:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)41Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10356 users

Anime Discussion Thread - Page 6204

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6202 6203 6204 6205 6206 6486 Next
If you come in here looking for "anime recommendations" then please refer to this chart before posting: Anime Recommendations (as of may 2014). We also have an IRC channel called #tladt where we all hang out. The channel is on Rizon, not QuakeNet! Feel free to check it out. TLADT discord is Discord.gg

For currently airing anime, please see Anichart.net
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
January 05 2018 16:22 GMT
#124061
On January 06 2018 00:30 Toadesstern wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 05 2018 10:53 BigFan wrote:
On January 05 2018 10:46 Nagisama wrote:
Kaze and I watched and talked a lot about tsuki ga kirei.

Recreators OPs were really good. (Gets you pumped for the show at least, too bad it couldn't deliver)

Kobeni is waifu material. I completely understand Benio's obnoxiouness over her.


Koe no katachi was good too.

yep, very waifu material. Agree 100%.

edit: on that note, anyone else want to recommend me a similar romcom with waifu material? haha. I actually really enjoyed Kobeni's reaction and VA. Pretty cute all around.

I don't think I can think of anything else quite like it, in particular when it comes to the waifu.

Like, I could tell you to watch Hataraku Maou-sama once again (or for the first time if you haven't watched it yet) because there's some overlap between the comedy/romance in general I guess but the Hikasa Yoko char (whatever her name was) is completly different with her being a tsundere and all.
It also doesn't have that "arranged marriage + end up falling in love with each other" element to it at all (it only has the "end up falling in love with each other" part going for it). But I'd say Hataraku Maou-sama is the better show overall aside from the ED

In that regard it's probably even closer to something like Nisekoi but with Nisekoi it's
a) more on the harem side of things
b) the gorilla is the "waifu" while Kobeni is probably closer to Onodera character-wise.

so yeah, I don't think I can think of something that really fits the bill of it being comedy/romance + waifu character that is a bit like Kobeni + possibly arranged marriage. Also Mashiro is super important to what the show ends up being, or at least was for me.

Fair points all around. I already watched Hataraku Maou-sama and yes, it feels almost like Nisekoi without the harem and with the winner being Onodera lol. Thanks regardless!

Started watching Aishiteruze Baby, a good watch so far. Reminds me of Usagi Drop though the story is a bit different.
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
Dangermousecatdog
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom7084 Posts
January 05 2018 16:22 GMT
#124062
So, no one like inuyashiki?
Toadesstern
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Germany16350 Posts
January 05 2018 16:45 GMT
#124063
On January 06 2018 01:22 Dangermousecatdog wrote:
So, no one like inuyashiki?

I haven't watched it myself but I've only heard the best about it. I'm sure a couple people in here must have seen it.
On January 06 2018 01:21 Ferrose wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 05 2018 09:18 Unleashing wrote:
On January 05 2018 09:14 Miragee wrote:
On January 04 2018 23:03 Unleashing wrote:
To me kimi no na wa is a 8/10 at the very best and that's mostly it being carried by visuals and sound, story and characters were mediocre.


6/10 for me. There was literally nothing besides the visuals that stood out. Definitely one of Shinkai's weaker works.

On January 05 2018 00:57 BrTarolg wrote:
as much as i'd like to do one of those ranking things everyone else is doing

idk i'd just put maid dragon on the top for everything

and kujira no kora for "it was amazing and u guys didn't watch it"


I watched it and it was terrible.

Visuals and sound are very important to me as far as anime goes. Which is why i've rated it so 'high', the visual and audio design is just really super fucking good. Same reason redline has such a high rating for me despite its average plot (Almost want to give that one a 10/10.)
While redline is close to 10/10 kimi no na wa is closer to 7/10.

Too bad as with everything i've watched by shinkai the characters and story are generally pretty bad. If not for the visuals of his works nothing he's made would get above 4/10 for me honestly.


I think great visuals and sound should be expected of anime, especially the higher budget ones. Having great visuals/sound doesn't really make something standout for me, because I expect it, so I don't usually give something a better rating for doing its job.

yeah but I think there's still a difference between "great visuals" and Makoto Shinkai stuff in general or if we're talking about series, stuff like Ufo from KyoAni that just looks better than most other things you could compare it to.

So yeah, I expect it to look decent-good no matter the show but if it's clearly above that it's a plus for me as well. There also can be shows that are good while looking horrible but that's another thing.
<Elem> >toad in charge of judging lewdness <Elem> how bad can it be <Elem> also wew, that is actually p lewd.
Unleashing
Profile Joined March 2011
Denmark14978 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-01-05 17:05:25
January 05 2018 17:02 GMT
#124064
On January 06 2018 01:21 Ferrose wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 05 2018 09:18 Unleashing wrote:
On January 05 2018 09:14 Miragee wrote:
On January 04 2018 23:03 Unleashing wrote:
To me kimi no na wa is a 8/10 at the very best and that's mostly it being carried by visuals and sound, story and characters were mediocre.


6/10 for me. There was literally nothing besides the visuals that stood out. Definitely one of Shinkai's weaker works.

On January 05 2018 00:57 BrTarolg wrote:
as much as i'd like to do one of those ranking things everyone else is doing

idk i'd just put maid dragon on the top for everything

and kujira no kora for "it was amazing and u guys didn't watch it"


I watched it and it was terrible.

Visuals and sound are very important to me as far as anime goes. Which is why i've rated it so 'high', the visual and audio design is just really super fucking good. Same reason redline has such a high rating for me despite its average plot (Almost want to give that one a 10/10.)
While redline is close to 10/10 kimi no na wa is closer to 7/10.

Too bad as with everything i've watched by shinkai the characters and story are generally pretty bad. If not for the visuals of his works nothing he's made would get above 4/10 for me honestly.


I think great visuals and sound should be expected of anime, especially the higher budget ones. Having great visuals/sound doesn't really make something standout for me, because I expect it, so I don't usually give something a better rating for doing its job.

I mean that'd be great if 99% of anime airing each season didn't look like garbage compared to something like redline. Great visuals do stand out and should be praised because they're not the norm in the medium imo.

Still frames, speedlines, lazy animation in general, bad art and so on are more than common in most weekly airing stuff. I'd love to consider truly great animation the norm and just 'doing its job', but that's never been the case.

Even for anime movies you can't always expect consistently high quality animation.
From the Ghastly Eyrie I can see to the ends of the world, and from this vantage point I declare with utter certainty that this one is in the bag!
Sentenal
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States12398 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-01-05 17:10:07
January 05 2018 17:09 GMT
#124065
The thing that sets Anime apart from other storytelling devices is its animation. Its like... the reason Anime is called Anime. If an anime has shitty animation, then why did they even make an anime for it (rhetorical btw, I know the actual answer)? Would have been better to do manga or novel in that case.
"Apparently, Sentenal is a paragon of friendship and tolerance. " - Ech0ne
Miragee
Profile Joined December 2009
8708 Posts
January 05 2018 17:12 GMT
#124066
On January 06 2018 00:09 Sentenal wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 05 2018 19:02 traced wrote:
On December 28 2017 09:16 Sentenal wrote:
This new Devilman anime looks like its some Shaft anime, not sure if I like:


Its not actually being made by Shaft, but visually it has that uninteresting flat look to parts of it with all the artsy stuff crammed in between. Would rather have a style like whats in Devilman vs Cyborg 009 instead of.... this.

its by yuasa, 100% chance it will be good

Looking at the work history for the guy, he has actually directed just a few anime series so far, and done a ton of key animation for others. Basically nothing to go off of with his history, and the trailer is concerning.


Eh? I would rather go with a guy who directed a few series but every single one of them was good instead of going with a guy who directed a 100 series but is 50/50... Quality over quantity here.
Unleashing
Profile Joined March 2011
Denmark14978 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-01-05 17:13:49
January 05 2018 17:12 GMT
#124067
On January 06 2018 02:09 Sentenal wrote:
The thing that sets Anime apart from other storytelling devices is its animation. Its like... the reason Anime is called Anime. If an anime has shitty animation, then why did they even make an anime for it (rhetorical btw, I know the actual answer)? Would have been better to do manga or novel in that case.

I mean i agree fully, i'd be happy if the amount of weekly anime was reduced by 80% but the animation quality for the remaining were all high.

Even franchises as big as dragon ball can end up with something like Super which for the most part has laughably terrible animation. I'd love for good animation to be the norm, but it sadly isn't.
From the Ghastly Eyrie I can see to the ends of the world, and from this vantage point I declare with utter certainty that this one is in the bag!
Grettin
Profile Joined April 2010
42416 Posts
January 05 2018 17:18 GMT
#124068
On January 06 2018 01:22 Dangermousecatdog wrote:
So, no one like inuyashiki?


Same here, looking forward to watching it.
"If I had force-fields in Brood War, I'd never lose." -Bisu
Jek
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Denmark2771 Posts
January 05 2018 17:38 GMT
#124069
On January 05 2018 10:53 BigFan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 05 2018 10:46 Nagisama wrote:
Kaze and I watched and talked a lot about tsuki ga kirei.

Recreators OPs were really good. (Gets you pumped for the show at least, too bad it couldn't deliver)

Kobeni is waifu material. I completely understand Benio's obnoxiouness over her.


Koe no katachi was good too.

yep, very waifu material. Agree 100%.

edit: on that note, anyone else want to recommend me a similar romcom with waifu material? haha. I actually really enjoyed Kobeni's reaction and VA. Pretty cute all around.

Seto no Hanayome is sort of similar. Masa is definitely waifu #1.
It's Elo not ELO - Every statiscian playing League
Ferrose
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States11378 Posts
January 05 2018 18:19 GMT
#124070
On January 06 2018 02:02 Unleashing wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 06 2018 01:21 Ferrose wrote:
On January 05 2018 09:18 Unleashing wrote:
On January 05 2018 09:14 Miragee wrote:
On January 04 2018 23:03 Unleashing wrote:
To me kimi no na wa is a 8/10 at the very best and that's mostly it being carried by visuals and sound, story and characters were mediocre.


6/10 for me. There was literally nothing besides the visuals that stood out. Definitely one of Shinkai's weaker works.

On January 05 2018 00:57 BrTarolg wrote:
as much as i'd like to do one of those ranking things everyone else is doing

idk i'd just put maid dragon on the top for everything

and kujira no kora for "it was amazing and u guys didn't watch it"


I watched it and it was terrible.

Visuals and sound are very important to me as far as anime goes. Which is why i've rated it so 'high', the visual and audio design is just really super fucking good. Same reason redline has such a high rating for me despite its average plot (Almost want to give that one a 10/10.)
While redline is close to 10/10 kimi no na wa is closer to 7/10.

Too bad as with everything i've watched by shinkai the characters and story are generally pretty bad. If not for the visuals of his works nothing he's made would get above 4/10 for me honestly.


I think great visuals and sound should be expected of anime, especially the higher budget ones. Having great visuals/sound doesn't really make something standout for me, because I expect it, so I don't usually give something a better rating for doing its job.

I mean that'd be great if 99% of anime airing each season didn't look like garbage compared to something like redline. Great visuals do stand out and should be praised because they're not the norm in the medium imo.

Still frames, speedlines, lazy animation in general, bad art and so on are more than common in most weekly airing stuff. I'd love to consider truly great animation the norm and just 'doing its job', but that's never been the case.

Even for anime movies you can't always expect consistently high quality animation.


I guess it's like video games in the regard. Even "bad" games tend to get all right scores from reviewers because they at least look good, have decently fun gameplay, and most importantly: they're actually playable. Sometimes there are games that don't even work because they have so many glitches and bugs, so it's seen as a plus when you can actually play a game, rather than the bare minimum expectation.

Maybe anime is like that too, but I wish it wasn't. We should be able to hold things to a higher standard. Though I unironically enjoy stuff like Blend-S so maybe I don't have a right to talk about standards in anime lol.
@113candlemagic Office lady by day, lonely woman at night. | Official lolicon of thread 94273
Toadesstern
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Germany16350 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-01-05 18:36:31
January 05 2018 18:30 GMT
#124071
no shame in unironically liking Blend-S. The show was amazing. And the memes, all the memes:



for crying out loud, from it's official twitter account:



how can you not love the show should be the question to ask
<Elem> >toad in charge of judging lewdness <Elem> how bad can it be <Elem> also wew, that is actually p lewd.
Sentenal
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States12398 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-01-05 21:11:27
January 05 2018 21:08 GMT
#124072
On January 06 2018 02:12 Miragee wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 06 2018 00:09 Sentenal wrote:
On January 05 2018 19:02 traced wrote:
On December 28 2017 09:16 Sentenal wrote:
This new Devilman anime looks like its some Shaft anime, not sure if I like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPsvu7R5dM4

Its not actually being made by Shaft, but visually it has that uninteresting flat look to parts of it with all the artsy stuff crammed in between. Would rather have a style like whats in Devilman vs Cyborg 009 instead of.... this.

its by yuasa, 100% chance it will be good

Looking at the work history for the guy, he has actually directed just a few anime series so far, and done a ton of key animation for others. Basically nothing to go off of with his history, and the trailer is concerning.


Eh? I would rather go with a guy who directed a few series but every single one of them was good instead of going with a guy who directed a 100 series but is 50/50... Quality over quantity here.

I don't see how that is applicable in this situation.

On January 06 2018 03:19 Ferrose wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 06 2018 02:02 Unleashing wrote:
On January 06 2018 01:21 Ferrose wrote:
On January 05 2018 09:18 Unleashing wrote:
On January 05 2018 09:14 Miragee wrote:
On January 04 2018 23:03 Unleashing wrote:
To me kimi no na wa is a 8/10 at the very best and that's mostly it being carried by visuals and sound, story and characters were mediocre.


6/10 for me. There was literally nothing besides the visuals that stood out. Definitely one of Shinkai's weaker works.

On January 05 2018 00:57 BrTarolg wrote:
as much as i'd like to do one of those ranking things everyone else is doing

idk i'd just put maid dragon on the top for everything

and kujira no kora for "it was amazing and u guys didn't watch it"


I watched it and it was terrible.

Visuals and sound are very important to me as far as anime goes. Which is why i've rated it so 'high', the visual and audio design is just really super fucking good. Same reason redline has such a high rating for me despite its average plot (Almost want to give that one a 10/10.)
While redline is close to 10/10 kimi no na wa is closer to 7/10.

Too bad as with everything i've watched by shinkai the characters and story are generally pretty bad. If not for the visuals of his works nothing he's made would get above 4/10 for me honestly.


I think great visuals and sound should be expected of anime, especially the higher budget ones. Having great visuals/sound doesn't really make something standout for me, because I expect it, so I don't usually give something a better rating for doing its job.

I mean that'd be great if 99% of anime airing each season didn't look like garbage compared to something like redline. Great visuals do stand out and should be praised because they're not the norm in the medium imo.

Still frames, speedlines, lazy animation in general, bad art and so on are more than common in most weekly airing stuff. I'd love to consider truly great animation the norm and just 'doing its job', but that's never been the case.

Even for anime movies you can't always expect consistently high quality animation.


I guess it's like video games in the regard. Even "bad" games tend to get all right scores from reviewers because they at least look good, have decently fun gameplay, and most importantly: they're actually playable. Sometimes there are games that don't even work because they have so many glitches and bugs, so it's seen as a plus when you can actually play a game, rather than the bare minimum expectation.

Maybe anime is like that too, but I wish it wasn't. We should be able to hold things to a higher standard. Though I unironically enjoy stuff like Blend-S so maybe I don't have a right to talk about standards in anime lol.

I get your example, but I don't see why you are apparently only applying it to visuals. Why not apply it to literally everything else too? Like if good animation should be a bare minimum, then shouldn't things like having a good story also be a bare minimum?
"Apparently, Sentenal is a paragon of friendship and tolerance. " - Ech0ne
Nemesis
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Canada2568 Posts
January 05 2018 23:55 GMT
#124073
On January 05 2018 10:53 BigFan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 05 2018 10:46 Nagisama wrote:
Kaze and I watched and talked a lot about tsuki ga kirei.

Recreators OPs were really good. (Gets you pumped for the show at least, too bad it couldn't deliver)

Kobeni is waifu material. I completely understand Benio's obnoxiouness over her.


Koe no katachi was good too.

yep, very waifu material. Agree 100%.

edit: on that note, anyone else want to recommend me a similar romcom with waifu material? haha. I actually really enjoyed Kobeni's reaction and VA. Pretty cute all around.

Try Haiyore! Nyaruko. More focus on comedy than romance though. I think Sent also added Nyaruko as waifu material.

Lee Young Ho fighting! KT P are just CHINTOSSTIC.
Sentenal
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States12398 Posts
January 06 2018 00:51 GMT
#124074
I do like the character, but she isn't on my current Waifu list. She does have the greatest ahoge in anime, however.
"Apparently, Sentenal is a paragon of friendship and tolerance. " - Ech0ne
Toadesstern
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Germany16350 Posts
January 06 2018 01:06 GMT
#124075
Nyaruko isn't thaaat high up my list either, but her VA is 100% waifu material. Asumi Kana dakimakura when
<Elem> >toad in charge of judging lewdness <Elem> how bad can it be <Elem> also wew, that is actually p lewd.
Sentenal
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States12398 Posts
January 06 2018 01:49 GMT
#124076
She has an S-Class Ahoge, it cannot be stated enough. The thing is so magnificent its like an addition appendage
"Apparently, Sentenal is a paragon of friendship and tolerance. " - Ech0ne
Ferrose
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States11378 Posts
January 06 2018 03:32 GMT
#124077
On January 06 2018 06:08 Sentenal wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 06 2018 02:12 Miragee wrote:
On January 06 2018 00:09 Sentenal wrote:
On January 05 2018 19:02 traced wrote:
On December 28 2017 09:16 Sentenal wrote:
This new Devilman anime looks like its some Shaft anime, not sure if I like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPsvu7R5dM4

Its not actually being made by Shaft, but visually it has that uninteresting flat look to parts of it with all the artsy stuff crammed in between. Would rather have a style like whats in Devilman vs Cyborg 009 instead of.... this.

its by yuasa, 100% chance it will be good

Looking at the work history for the guy, he has actually directed just a few anime series so far, and done a ton of key animation for others. Basically nothing to go off of with his history, and the trailer is concerning.


Eh? I would rather go with a guy who directed a few series but every single one of them was good instead of going with a guy who directed a 100 series but is 50/50... Quality over quantity here.

I don't see how that is applicable in this situation.

Show nested quote +
On January 06 2018 03:19 Ferrose wrote:
On January 06 2018 02:02 Unleashing wrote:
On January 06 2018 01:21 Ferrose wrote:
On January 05 2018 09:18 Unleashing wrote:
On January 05 2018 09:14 Miragee wrote:
On January 04 2018 23:03 Unleashing wrote:
To me kimi no na wa is a 8/10 at the very best and that's mostly it being carried by visuals and sound, story and characters were mediocre.


6/10 for me. There was literally nothing besides the visuals that stood out. Definitely one of Shinkai's weaker works.

On January 05 2018 00:57 BrTarolg wrote:
as much as i'd like to do one of those ranking things everyone else is doing

idk i'd just put maid dragon on the top for everything

and kujira no kora for "it was amazing and u guys didn't watch it"


I watched it and it was terrible.

Visuals and sound are very important to me as far as anime goes. Which is why i've rated it so 'high', the visual and audio design is just really super fucking good. Same reason redline has such a high rating for me despite its average plot (Almost want to give that one a 10/10.)
While redline is close to 10/10 kimi no na wa is closer to 7/10.

Too bad as with everything i've watched by shinkai the characters and story are generally pretty bad. If not for the visuals of his works nothing he's made would get above 4/10 for me honestly.


I think great visuals and sound should be expected of anime, especially the higher budget ones. Having great visuals/sound doesn't really make something standout for me, because I expect it, so I don't usually give something a better rating for doing its job.

I mean that'd be great if 99% of anime airing each season didn't look like garbage compared to something like redline. Great visuals do stand out and should be praised because they're not the norm in the medium imo.

Still frames, speedlines, lazy animation in general, bad art and so on are more than common in most weekly airing stuff. I'd love to consider truly great animation the norm and just 'doing its job', but that's never been the case.

Even for anime movies you can't always expect consistently high quality animation.


I guess it's like video games in the regard. Even "bad" games tend to get all right scores from reviewers because they at least look good, have decently fun gameplay, and most importantly: they're actually playable. Sometimes there are games that don't even work because they have so many glitches and bugs, so it's seen as a plus when you can actually play a game, rather than the bare minimum expectation.

Maybe anime is like that too, but I wish it wasn't. We should be able to hold things to a higher standard. Though I unironically enjoy stuff like Blend-S so maybe I don't have a right to talk about standards in anime lol.

I get your example, but I don't see why you are apparently only applying it to visuals. Why not apply it to literally everything else too? Like if good animation should be a bare minimum, then shouldn't things like having a good story also be a bare minimum?


I see animation (and sound) as the bare minimum for expressing the medium and story, like the paper that a book is printed on (or the screen I guess, if you read e-books and aren't a luddite like me). If I'm noticing the animation, there's something wrong.
@113candlemagic Office lady by day, lonely woman at night. | Official lolicon of thread 94273
Sentenal
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States12398 Posts
January 06 2018 03:41 GMT
#124078
On January 06 2018 12:32 Ferrose wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 06 2018 06:08 Sentenal wrote:
On January 06 2018 02:12 Miragee wrote:
On January 06 2018 00:09 Sentenal wrote:
On January 05 2018 19:02 traced wrote:
On December 28 2017 09:16 Sentenal wrote:
This new Devilman anime looks like its some Shaft anime, not sure if I like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPsvu7R5dM4

Its not actually being made by Shaft, but visually it has that uninteresting flat look to parts of it with all the artsy stuff crammed in between. Would rather have a style like whats in Devilman vs Cyborg 009 instead of.... this.

its by yuasa, 100% chance it will be good

Looking at the work history for the guy, he has actually directed just a few anime series so far, and done a ton of key animation for others. Basically nothing to go off of with his history, and the trailer is concerning.


Eh? I would rather go with a guy who directed a few series but every single one of them was good instead of going with a guy who directed a 100 series but is 50/50... Quality over quantity here.

I don't see how that is applicable in this situation.

On January 06 2018 03:19 Ferrose wrote:
On January 06 2018 02:02 Unleashing wrote:
On January 06 2018 01:21 Ferrose wrote:
On January 05 2018 09:18 Unleashing wrote:
On January 05 2018 09:14 Miragee wrote:
On January 04 2018 23:03 Unleashing wrote:
To me kimi no na wa is a 8/10 at the very best and that's mostly it being carried by visuals and sound, story and characters were mediocre.


6/10 for me. There was literally nothing besides the visuals that stood out. Definitely one of Shinkai's weaker works.

On January 05 2018 00:57 BrTarolg wrote:
as much as i'd like to do one of those ranking things everyone else is doing

idk i'd just put maid dragon on the top for everything

and kujira no kora for "it was amazing and u guys didn't watch it"


I watched it and it was terrible.

Visuals and sound are very important to me as far as anime goes. Which is why i've rated it so 'high', the visual and audio design is just really super fucking good. Same reason redline has such a high rating for me despite its average plot (Almost want to give that one a 10/10.)
While redline is close to 10/10 kimi no na wa is closer to 7/10.

Too bad as with everything i've watched by shinkai the characters and story are generally pretty bad. If not for the visuals of his works nothing he's made would get above 4/10 for me honestly.


I think great visuals and sound should be expected of anime, especially the higher budget ones. Having great visuals/sound doesn't really make something standout for me, because I expect it, so I don't usually give something a better rating for doing its job.

I mean that'd be great if 99% of anime airing each season didn't look like garbage compared to something like redline. Great visuals do stand out and should be praised because they're not the norm in the medium imo.

Still frames, speedlines, lazy animation in general, bad art and so on are more than common in most weekly airing stuff. I'd love to consider truly great animation the norm and just 'doing its job', but that's never been the case.

Even for anime movies you can't always expect consistently high quality animation.


I guess it's like video games in the regard. Even "bad" games tend to get all right scores from reviewers because they at least look good, have decently fun gameplay, and most importantly: they're actually playable. Sometimes there are games that don't even work because they have so many glitches and bugs, so it's seen as a plus when you can actually play a game, rather than the bare minimum expectation.

Maybe anime is like that too, but I wish it wasn't. We should be able to hold things to a higher standard. Though I unironically enjoy stuff like Blend-S so maybe I don't have a right to talk about standards in anime lol.

I get your example, but I don't see why you are apparently only applying it to visuals. Why not apply it to literally everything else too? Like if good animation should be a bare minimum, then shouldn't things like having a good story also be a bare minimum?


I see animation (and sound) as the bare minimum for expressing the medium and story, like the paper that a book is printed on (or the screen I guess, if you read e-books and aren't a luddite like me). If I'm noticing the animation, there's something wrong.

Thats incredibly reductive. I guess I just don't understand the mindset of literally not giving a fuck about art unless its bad lol
"Apparently, Sentenal is a paragon of friendship and tolerance. " - Ech0ne
Ferrose
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States11378 Posts
January 06 2018 04:05 GMT
#124079
On January 06 2018 12:41 Sentenal wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 06 2018 12:32 Ferrose wrote:
On January 06 2018 06:08 Sentenal wrote:
On January 06 2018 02:12 Miragee wrote:
On January 06 2018 00:09 Sentenal wrote:
On January 05 2018 19:02 traced wrote:
On December 28 2017 09:16 Sentenal wrote:
This new Devilman anime looks like its some Shaft anime, not sure if I like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPsvu7R5dM4

Its not actually being made by Shaft, but visually it has that uninteresting flat look to parts of it with all the artsy stuff crammed in between. Would rather have a style like whats in Devilman vs Cyborg 009 instead of.... this.

its by yuasa, 100% chance it will be good

Looking at the work history for the guy, he has actually directed just a few anime series so far, and done a ton of key animation for others. Basically nothing to go off of with his history, and the trailer is concerning.


Eh? I would rather go with a guy who directed a few series but every single one of them was good instead of going with a guy who directed a 100 series but is 50/50... Quality over quantity here.

I don't see how that is applicable in this situation.

On January 06 2018 03:19 Ferrose wrote:
On January 06 2018 02:02 Unleashing wrote:
On January 06 2018 01:21 Ferrose wrote:
On January 05 2018 09:18 Unleashing wrote:
On January 05 2018 09:14 Miragee wrote:
On January 04 2018 23:03 Unleashing wrote:
To me kimi no na wa is a 8/10 at the very best and that's mostly it being carried by visuals and sound, story and characters were mediocre.


6/10 for me. There was literally nothing besides the visuals that stood out. Definitely one of Shinkai's weaker works.

On January 05 2018 00:57 BrTarolg wrote:
as much as i'd like to do one of those ranking things everyone else is doing

idk i'd just put maid dragon on the top for everything

and kujira no kora for "it was amazing and u guys didn't watch it"


I watched it and it was terrible.

Visuals and sound are very important to me as far as anime goes. Which is why i've rated it so 'high', the visual and audio design is just really super fucking good. Same reason redline has such a high rating for me despite its average plot (Almost want to give that one a 10/10.)
While redline is close to 10/10 kimi no na wa is closer to 7/10.

Too bad as with everything i've watched by shinkai the characters and story are generally pretty bad. If not for the visuals of his works nothing he's made would get above 4/10 for me honestly.


I think great visuals and sound should be expected of anime, especially the higher budget ones. Having great visuals/sound doesn't really make something standout for me, because I expect it, so I don't usually give something a better rating for doing its job.

I mean that'd be great if 99% of anime airing each season didn't look like garbage compared to something like redline. Great visuals do stand out and should be praised because they're not the norm in the medium imo.

Still frames, speedlines, lazy animation in general, bad art and so on are more than common in most weekly airing stuff. I'd love to consider truly great animation the norm and just 'doing its job', but that's never been the case.

Even for anime movies you can't always expect consistently high quality animation.


I guess it's like video games in the regard. Even "bad" games tend to get all right scores from reviewers because they at least look good, have decently fun gameplay, and most importantly: they're actually playable. Sometimes there are games that don't even work because they have so many glitches and bugs, so it's seen as a plus when you can actually play a game, rather than the bare minimum expectation.

Maybe anime is like that too, but I wish it wasn't. We should be able to hold things to a higher standard. Though I unironically enjoy stuff like Blend-S so maybe I don't have a right to talk about standards in anime lol.

I get your example, but I don't see why you are apparently only applying it to visuals. Why not apply it to literally everything else too? Like if good animation should be a bare minimum, then shouldn't things like having a good story also be a bare minimum?


I see animation (and sound) as the bare minimum for expressing the medium and story, like the paper that a book is printed on (or the screen I guess, if you read e-books and aren't a luddite like me). If I'm noticing the animation, there's something wrong.

Thats incredibly reductive. I guess I just don't understand the mindset of literally not giving a fuck about art unless its bad lol


Reductive?! orz...Maybe I'm too harsh. There's definitely cases where I've noticed the animation and thought it was a good thing, Made in Abyss being a recent example. There's other animes where I think the art style and direction adds to my enjoyment, like Kuzu no Honkai. But usually I can live with subpar visuals if it means I'm getting a good story.
@113candlemagic Office lady by day, lonely woman at night. | Official lolicon of thread 94273
Miragee
Profile Joined December 2009
8708 Posts
January 06 2018 07:55 GMT
#124080
On January 06 2018 06:08 Sentenal wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 06 2018 02:12 Miragee wrote:
On January 06 2018 00:09 Sentenal wrote:
On January 05 2018 19:02 traced wrote:
On December 28 2017 09:16 Sentenal wrote:
This new Devilman anime looks like its some Shaft anime, not sure if I like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPsvu7R5dM4

Its not actually being made by Shaft, but visually it has that uninteresting flat look to parts of it with all the artsy stuff crammed in between. Would rather have a style like whats in Devilman vs Cyborg 009 instead of.... this.

its by yuasa, 100% chance it will be good

Looking at the work history for the guy, he has actually directed just a few anime series so far, and done a ton of key animation for others. Basically nothing to go off of with his history, and the trailer is concerning.


Eh? I would rather go with a guy who directed a few series but every single one of them was good instead of going with a guy who directed a 100 series but is 50/50... Quality over quantity here.

I don't see how that is applicable in this situation.


I don't get you. Have you seen any of his works and just think they are shit or are you just pulling opinions out of thin air? I have watched a fair few of the shows/movies directed by him and haven't been disappointed once. He is one of the few directors who's style is actually instantly notable. Just like Satoshi Kon's for example.
Prev 1 6202 6203 6204 6205 6206 6486 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 33m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech149
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 36569
Shuttle 2463
Bisu 1039
Horang2 947
Jaedong 867
Light 441
BeSt 365
firebathero 333
Mini 330
Hyuk 287
[ Show more ]
Stork 272
actioN 266
Soma 237
EffOrt 232
Zeus 202
ggaemo 197
Soulkey 162
Last 145
Snow 122
ZerO 118
Leta 118
Pusan 83
Rush 76
Killer 74
Sea.KH 54
hero 51
Mong 44
Sharp 40
Mind 36
Shinee 30
Shine 27
Aegong 27
Bale 24
ToSsGirL 23
soO 20
Sexy 19
PianO 19
Trap 17
Yoon 16
Free 14
sorry 13
Terrorterran 11
zelot 10
HiyA 10
JulyZerg 9
Noble 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 6
Icarus 5
Dota 2
Gorgc3942
qojqva1560
Dendi1010
League of Legends
Reynor92
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1282
x6flipin325
markeloff103
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1929
crisheroes917
Other Games
gofns33183
singsing2163
B2W.Neo699
XBOCT361
DeMusliM188
Livibee180
XaKoH 152
Mlord151
Liquid`LucifroN121
Mew2King87
QueenE65
Chillindude11
Railgan10
ZerO(Twitch)6
ArmadaUGS0
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream204
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 8
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 61
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2212
• TFBlade605
Other Games
• WagamamaTV197
Upcoming Events
OSC
33m
Stellar Fest
33m
Serral vs herO
Solar vs Shino
Maru vs Clem
SHIN vs GgMaChine
OSC
11h 33m
Stellar Fest
1d
CranKy Ducklings
1d 21h
Online Event
1d 22h
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.