• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:34
CEST 00:34
KST 07:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War655.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
Ziemie's Starcraft 1 Prequel Campaign Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 13118 users

What Are You Reading 2015 - Page 34

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 32 33 34 35 36 54 Next
Xxio
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada5565 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-07-04 03:26:15
July 04 2015 01:38 GMT
#661
Fevre Dream: George Martin's vampire story set on the Mississippi. I read it fast and enjoyed it all. Loved the scenes travelling down the river. Makes me want to reread Twain.
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell: Stopped halfway through. I read that it picks up soon after but I feel I got what I wanted out of the story.
Stories of Your Life and Others: Collection of short stories by SF's slowest writer, Ted Chiang. Solid, tight writing but lacking ambition, imho. I enjoyed every page but was never excited.

Currently reading The Best of Connie Willis and hoping to finish before I grab Aurora on the 7th.

On June 30 2015 01:07 B.I.G. wrote:
A bit less than two years ago I "rediscovered" my passion for reading after barely being able to finish any book for the last 10 years or so. I completely nerded out fantasy literature. I read the Malazan series (easily 10.000 pages), Abercombie's The First Law series, and dabbled in some other series like A Song of Ice and Fire, Gentlemen Bastards, The Dresden Files, and Mystborn...


The Book of the New Sun and Latro in the Mist are very good. Le Guin described Wolfe as "our Melville" and Kim Stanley Robinson loves New Sun and Long Sun.

Has anyone read Seveneves? I want to believe it's great but Reamde was such a disappointment.

I would also really appreciate recommendations for books on agriculture/farming in the ancient world, land distribution, technology, landscaping, or revolts for land redistribution. Content like this, but detailed and being the focus of the book:

"There were few natural resources, no timber, stones, or metals. Rainfall was limited, and what water there was rushed across the plain in the annual flood of melted snow. As the plain fell only 20 meters in 500 kilometres the beds of the rivers shifted constantly. It was this which made the organization of irrigation, particularly the building of canals to channel and preserve the water, essential. Once this was done and the silt carried down by the rivers planted, the rewards were rich: four to five times what rain­fed earth would produce....conditions that allowed an elite to emerge..."

"The valley had virtually no rainfall of its own. The water for its irrigation came down the Nile in annual floods, most of which originated in summer rains in the Ethiopian mountains. With the floods came silt, and the combination of fertile soil and ready water could produce yields of crops three or four times those from normal rain­fed soil. As important as the wealth of water and soil was the regularity with which the floods came...the waters had begun to fall. The land could be marked out and ploughed and sowed, in time the 'land reappeared'."
KTY
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
July 04 2015 02:59 GMT
#662
@Xxio- Sounds like you are looking for non-fiction. The general rule of thumb is that the more interesting it is, the lower the quality of scholarship. Frankly, even an introductory study of historical criticism makes most popular accounts irritating tor read.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
babylon
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
8765 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-07-04 05:11:50
July 04 2015 05:11 GMT
#663
Finished Renault's Fire From Heaven after an age and a half. Got better in the second half but I still thought it was a totally shoddy piece of storytelling. Avoiding Renault from now on.

Reading Novik's Uprooted now, around halfway through. Soooooo good, and a vast improvement over her latest Temeraire books. She should stay away from writing series and stick with writing standalones.
B.I.G.
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
3251 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-07-04 09:34:34
July 04 2015 09:31 GMT
#664
On June 30 2015 01:19 bookwyrm wrote:
China mieville perdido street station. Read now thank me later

So I'm about 300 pages in (just short of halfway through) and I have to say that it is a bit.... weird...

Mind you I can really appreciate weirdness in a well presented way but some of the weirdness in this story just seems to be weird for the sake of being weird. Example: Isaac's girlfriend Lin being a woman with a bug for a head. And the scenes where he describes having sex with her and stroking the wings on her bug body head I mean what the actual fuck haha..

All in all I think the first 200 pages were rather slow but now it seems to be picking up. I'll finish this book but I don't think I'll read another in this series. Not really feeling the world building.

I appreciate the recommendation though, any others?

On July 04 2015 10:38 Xxio wrote:
The Book of the New Sun and Latro in the Mist are very good. Le Guin described Wolfe as "our Melville" and Kim Stanley Robinson loves New Sun and Long Sun

Thanks I will look into those once I finish this one. Always happy to look into any suggestions.

BTW any of you guys use goodreads? I've been using it a lot as a book database. Do you guys think the ratings they give books are solid? I feel most of them are rather high...
bookwyrm
Profile Joined March 2014
United States722 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-07-05 15:20:15
July 05 2015 15:18 GMT
#665
Your loss if the bug head sex scene in the beginning doesnt turn you into an instant fan... there might not be hope for you

Xxio if you didnt like reamde you wont like seveneves. I think both are great

what you need to read is fernand braudel memory and the mediterranean
si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil
Nyxisto
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany6287 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-07-05 15:26:30
July 05 2015 15:25 GMT
#666
Couldn't really make it far through Seveneves. Neal Stephenson feels a little bit hit and miss to me. I really liked The diamond Age and Snow Crash but Cryptonomicon and Seveneves feel just too long and technical for me. I can't make it through all the chapter long info dumps : (
bookwyrm
Profile Joined March 2014
United States722 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-07-05 15:38:45
July 05 2015 15:28 GMT
#667
You people are silly :p. What do you want from books anyway - nonstop plot in recycled settings? The fifteenth sequel of lord of the rings??

BTW if you want to check out one of the best SF novs ever written check out the xenogenesis trilogy by octavia butler. Shit is DOPE
si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
July 05 2015 15:57 GMT
#668
A deep reading of the Silmarilion will do
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Surth
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Germany456 Posts
July 05 2015 17:11 GMT
#669
check out GOLEM XIV by stanislaw lem!
i believe your actions dishonour Starcraft 2 LotV cybersport!
[UoN]Sentinel
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United States11320 Posts
July 06 2015 02:05 GMT
#670
Just read Look Who's Back, originally Er Ist Wieder Da in its German form. It's a book about Hitler being transported from his suicide in 1945 straight to 2011 Berlin, and everyone just thinks he's a really good Hitler impersonator. He doesn't get a full account of the time in between, so you have moments like him thinking Turkish kids listening to music on their headphones are part of an underclass with distracting noise filtering in to stop them from learning too much, or that Wikipedia is based on Viking ideals of selflessness, dedication, etc. and was named after the Vikings.

Great book. I'd almost support him if I wasn't a degenerate Slav.
Нас зовет дух отцов, память старых бойцов, дух Москвы и твердыня Полтавы
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
July 06 2015 02:10 GMT
#671
[image loading]

[image loading]
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
bookwyrm
Profile Joined March 2014
United States722 Posts
July 08 2015 15:20 GMT
#672
Ive been sitting on top of a mountain reading hobbes. This book is pretty hilarious in fact
si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil
maybenexttime
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Poland5876 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-07-12 08:51:18
July 08 2015 16:30 GMT
#673
On June 29 2015 00:00 Manit0u wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 19 2015 17:17 maybenexttime wrote:
Currently reading:

"Diaspora" by Greg Egan

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]



Diaspora is mind-blowing. Almost as good as Watt's Blindsight.

Grats on finishing Lód. Attempted it several times, farthest I got was around page 500 (heard the action starts around 700) but I will tackle this monstrosity one day (read everything else by Dukaj so far).

You should also try Beckett's Genesis. This blows minds real hard.


Recently finished:

"Diaspora" by Greg Egan

"How Rich Countries Got Rich And Why Poor Countries Stay Poor" by Erik Reinert

I liked "Perfect Imperfection" by Dukaj a lot more than "Diaspora" by Egan. I was very intrigued how stahs managed to retain their power despite post-humans being so much more capable. The introduction into this foreign world seemed more natural as well. At the same time, "Diaspora" was definitely a good read and I recommend it. I liked how the story unfolded. Surprisingly, the time skipping did not feel unnatural. The ending was interesting, it somehow made me feel at peace (although some people might consider it a let-down).

My list of books to read is already pretty stacked and I have something to read for perhaps the next two years, so I am not sure about genesis. We'll see.


Currently reading:

"Economics: The User's Guide" by Ha-Joon Chang

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


"The Man in the High Castle" by Philip K. Dick

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]



Coming up next:

"Dune" by Frank Herbert

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


"The Prince" by Niccolo Machiavelli

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
Enki
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
United States2548 Posts
July 08 2015 21:42 GMT
#674
Haven't posted here in a long time but I guess I haven't read that much either...

Last Read:
[image loading]
A Dance of Dragons - Took me awhile to get through this, although I feel bitter now because now I have to wait until the next book comes out like everyone else. Been looking into some other fantasy series to tide me over.


[image loading]
River Monsters - Dunno if anyone here watches River Monsters. I find it a pretty interesting show so I got the book. If you watch the show though, it's nothing new. If you have seen a fair share of episodes you will notice the chapters are similar (the giant stingray in Vietnam, the Goonch catfish etc) so it's more a companion piece to the show rather than entirely new material. That said I still found it interesting.


Reading Now:
[image loading]
The Kite Runner - Only like 50 pages in since I just started it, not much to say. I find the setting and characters decently interesting so far.


Dunno what I will read next, maybe this. I've heard lots of praise for this book and while I have read/researched WWII before I never really learned about the eastern front.
[image loading]
"Practice, practice, practice. And when you're not practicing you should be practicing. It's the only way to get better. The only way." I run the Smix Fanclub!
bookwyrm
Profile Joined March 2014
United States722 Posts
July 12 2015 03:14 GMT
#675
first round of summer reading. might have already posted some of these SORRY

[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil
Zergneedsfood
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States10671 Posts
July 12 2015 14:41 GMT
#676
I finished Paradise Lost.

It was so good. So so so so so good.
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ Make a contract with me and join TLADT | Onodera isn't actually a girl, she's just a doormat you walk over to get to the girl. - Numy 2015
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7684 Posts
July 12 2015 15:40 GMT
#677
I don't believe you.
It is terrible to die of thirst at sea. Must you so salt your truth that it will no longer even slake thirst?
bookwyrm
Profile Joined March 2014
United States722 Posts
July 12 2015 15:59 GMT
#678
booooorinng
si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
July 12 2015 19:47 GMT
#679
I read 50 pages of Deleuze today in the transports, can't believe I have brains left to type. Leaving for a month of biking in the center of France tomorrow with "only" three books :
[image loading]
Différence et répétition (Gilles Deleuze)
[image loading]
Hot Water (PG Wodehouse)
[image loading]
The Man Without Qualities (Robert Musil)
Wish me luck !
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
Zergneedsfood
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States10671 Posts
July 13 2015 03:07 GMT
#680
On July 13 2015 00:59 bookwyrm wrote:
booooorinng

no -3- it was 5excite3me

On July 13 2015 00:40 IgnE wrote:
I don't believe you.

:3

I believe myself dough
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ Make a contract with me and join TLADT | Onodera isn't actually a girl, she's just a doormat you walk over to get to the girl. - Numy 2015
Prev 1 32 33 34 35 36 54 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
ZZZero.O145
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 11719
Shuttle 411
Artosis 258
White-Ra 202
ZZZero.O 145
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm143
League of Legends
Doublelift4787
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4305
Other Games
summit1g9221
FrodaN2503
Liquid`RaSZi1967
C9.Mang0357
ToD296
Livibee184
Pyrionflax120
Mew2King54
Maynarde37
ArmadaUGS35
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1057
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 97
• musti20045 37
• HeavenSC 27
• Sammyuel 26
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1389
• Shiphtur646
• WagamamaTV259
• Scarra112
Upcoming Events
OSC
27m
Replay Cast
27m
OSC
13h 27m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 12h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.