• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:19
CEST 00:19
KST 07:19
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7961 users

What Are You Reading 2015 - Page 36

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 34 35 36 37 38 54 Next
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
July 22 2015 20:18 GMT
#701
>2015
>still subscribing to the "Tolkien is bad" meme

The brainwashing runs deep
TranslatorBaa!
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-07-22 20:34:55
July 22 2015 20:33 GMT
#702
On July 23 2015 05:18 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
>2015
>still subscribing to the "Tolkien is bad" meme

The brainwashing runs deep


My distate for JRRT started long before any meme hit the Internet (before I had Internet at home) and no one would waste precious bandwidth on a meme with their 14.4kbps modem. Anyway, I've never said it's bad. It just isn't as good as some other things out there. I'm really having a hard time trying to find one fantasy book that would really blow me away - there's plenty of jawdropping sci-fi but fantasy? Not so much.

Just recently I've asked myself a question of what is the best fantasy book and I'm not really sure. Perhaps the Earthsea saga by Le Guin? I remember that Edding's Tamuli trilogy also left a deep impression on me, but it was long time ago and I didn't get a chance to re-read it since so I can't be sure.

JRRT is just incredibly boring with his lengthy passages of world description that are interesting the first time through but don't really help the plot that much. The characters are rather bland and one-dimensional, the suspense just isn't there since it's pretty obvious who the bad guys are etc. etc. It's a fine piece of literature but I wouldn't jump on the "JRRT is the shit" bandwagon now. I've simply read better things and his works have steadily went down the awesome ladder over the years.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-07-22 23:17:51
July 22 2015 23:16 GMT
#703
As a threshold matter, it is probably best to refrain from claiming that you hated Tolkien before the meme took off, as that sort of reasoning is exactly what the meme addresses.

You're making a number of arguments in absentia, i.e. claiming that something is "bad" without actually offering forth an accompanying criteria or metric. In a nutshell, 1) you think sci fi is better, 2) that name dropping le Guin and Edding is a worthwhile tactic, 3) that Tolkien's "lengthy passages of world description" are "incredibly boring," 4) that "[t]he characters are bland and one-dimensional," 5) that the fairly clear delineation between good and evil robs Tolkien's work of suspense, and 6) that you have "simply read better things."

1. This one speaks for itself; you clearly have a soft spot for the genre stylizations of sci-fi given your lack of excitement while reading fantasy. This ought to indicate to you that perhaps the fantasy genre itself is a better target for your criticisms, though you'd have to give your words a bit more teeth should that be the case.

2. Why don't you tell us a bit about why those two series of novels pop out to you among other works of fantasy? To be frank, I find the Earthsea books boring, childish, and far more one dimensional than anything Tolkien wrote, save for maybe the Hobbit. le Guin herself wrote the books after being prompted to write fantasy for "older kids" and practically every single character in her works can be boiled down into a single phrase or concept, i.e. Aihal- old, wise, quiet mage dude, Ged- cannot fail, protagonist mage dude who progresses like every single protagonist in every novel ever, and so on. So, if you're going to go down the road of suggesting that what amounts to le Guin's homage to LOTR is actually better than LOTR, you're going to have to do more than point.

3. This begs some interesting questions insofar as genre studies is concerned. There is no doubting that Tolkien's works are full to the brim with lengthy setting descriptions and world-building, and clearly this does not appeal to you. But, who is to say that this is not a strength of the works instead of a weakness? Tolkien's penchant for geography and environmental description is something I and many other fans adore, and it was Tolkien's style in this area that would go on to form a cornerstone of practically every single work of fantasy that would follow. Again, maybe you should just stick to sci-fi?

4. Archetypal characterizations revolve around the archetype existing in the first place, and it is not exactly controversial to suggest that many works of fantasy deliberately de-emphasize characterization in favor of world-building, allegory, and large-scale narrative stabilization. Accordingly, to poke fun at the admittedly stilted nature of many of Tolkien's characters is to miss the forest for the trees and take issue with what clearly seems to be a genre feature rather than a uniquely Tolkien literary decision. Furthermore, there is a discussion to be had in terms of foundational literature and how criticisms of works that form the basis for an entire movement in narrative decision-making should take such things into account. Lastly, and maybe you missed this, but Tolkien deliberately keeps the majority of his characters static so that the fluid ones stick out. I'll let you guess which race these fluid characters tend to be

5. See 4; the same criticisms apply here. Fantasy oftentimes deliberately makes the moral dimensions easy and clear so that the allegorical value of the narrative is more easily communicated. Unrealistic moral signposting is a great way to say something about the real world, you just have to look a little deeper, I think.

6. This one speaks for itself as well.

In sum, I think you just don't like fantasy
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
dmnum
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Brazil6910 Posts
July 23 2015 00:12 GMT
#704
I'd just like to add that I have a friend who's a Hobbit
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7684 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-07-23 00:14:18
July 23 2015 00:13 GMT
#705
It's the hobbits right? They are like water.
It is terrible to die of thirst at sea. Must you so salt your truth that it will no longer even slake thirst?
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7684 Posts
July 23 2015 00:15 GMT
#706
I just finished Anna Karenina and it is my clear favorite as far as novels go.
It is terrible to die of thirst at sea. Must you so salt your truth that it will no longer even slake thirst?
dmnum
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Brazil6910 Posts
July 23 2015 00:38 GMT
#707
On July 23 2015 09:15 IgnE wrote:
I just finished Anna Karenina and it is my clear favorite as far as novels go.

one of us
Flicky
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
England2675 Posts
July 23 2015 10:08 GMT
#708
On July 20 2015 05:18 jtype wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 19 2015 20:51 Flicky wrote:
Zorba the Greek killed books for me for a long time.


In what sense did it kill books for you? As in, it was so good, nothing compared to it? Or so bad that you lost your enjoyment?

Personally, I got about a third of the way into it and lost interest. I hardly ever put books down. Ever. I'm quite stubborn about finishing them, but Zorba the Greek just didn't engage me at all, and I had a lot of other stuff that I really wanted to read instead.

Does it drastically change/improve from there?


It and Lolita were (for different reasons) so wonderful to me that I didn't get that kind of emotional response out of books for a while. If you didn't like it in the first third, I'm not sure there's any real change that would turn that opinion around. Normally I stop at page 100ish of a book then stop reading for a few months, go back and love it. Maybe give it a year or something and come back to it. I have only left two books unread and one of them I gave up on 50 pages from the end so I we're in a similar boat there.

Regarding the Sanderson stuff - Thanks for the advice. I did get a real young-adult feel from the book, that's a good way of explaining it. There's not a whole lot of depth to anyone or anything, especially in comparison to other books. I'm not certain on if I'll try another, but if I do it'll be the Stormlight Archives.

Name of the Wind has been a great read so far. I was a little put off by the rather generic story, but once it got going I've been enjoying it it too much to care.
Liquipedia"I was seriously looking for a black guy" - MrHoon
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
July 23 2015 11:14 GMT
#709
On July 23 2015 09:38 dmnum wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 23 2015 09:15 IgnE wrote:
I just finished Anna Karenina and it is my clear favorite as far as novels go.

one of us

Word <3
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
Surth
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Germany456 Posts
July 23 2015 15:41 GMT
#710
DISQUS: SCIFI >>> FANTASY
i believe your actions dishonour Starcraft 2 LotV cybersport!
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-07-23 20:30:59
July 23 2015 20:30 GMT
#711
On July 23 2015 08:16 farvacola wrote:
As a threshold matter, it is probably best to refrain from claiming that you hated Tolkien before the meme took off, as that sort of reasoning is exactly what the meme addresses.

You're making a number of arguments in absentia, i.e. claiming that something is "bad" without actually offering forth an accompanying criteria or metric. In a nutshell, 1) you think sci fi is better, 2) that name dropping le Guin and Edding is a worthwhile tactic, 3) that Tolkien's "lengthy passages of world description" are "incredibly boring," 4) that "[t]he characters are bland and one-dimensional," 5) that the fairly clear delineation between good and evil robs Tolkien's work of suspense, and 6) that you have "simply read better things."

1. This one speaks for itself; you clearly have a soft spot for the genre stylizations of sci-fi given your lack of excitement while reading fantasy. This ought to indicate to you that perhaps the fantasy genre itself is a better target for your criticisms, though you'd have to give your words a bit more teeth should that be the case.

2. Why don't you tell us a bit about why those two series of novels pop out to you among other works of fantasy? To be frank, I find the Earthsea books boring, childish, and far more one dimensional than anything Tolkien wrote, save for maybe the Hobbit. le Guin herself wrote the books after being prompted to write fantasy for "older kids" and practically every single character in her works can be boiled down into a single phrase or concept, i.e. Aihal- old, wise, quiet mage dude, Ged- cannot fail, protagonist mage dude who progresses like every single protagonist in every novel ever, and so on. So, if you're going to go down the road of suggesting that what amounts to le Guin's homage to LOTR is actually better than LOTR, you're going to have to do more than point.

3. This begs some interesting questions insofar as genre studies is concerned. There is no doubting that Tolkien's works are full to the brim with lengthy setting descriptions and world-building, and clearly this does not appeal to you. But, who is to say that this is not a strength of the works instead of a weakness? Tolkien's penchant for geography and environmental description is something I and many other fans adore, and it was Tolkien's style in this area that would go on to form a cornerstone of practically every single work of fantasy that would follow. Again, maybe you should just stick to sci-fi?

4. Archetypal characterizations revolve around the archetype existing in the first place, and it is not exactly controversial to suggest that many works of fantasy deliberately de-emphasize characterization in favor of world-building, allegory, and large-scale narrative stabilization. Accordingly, to poke fun at the admittedly stilted nature of many of Tolkien's characters is to miss the forest for the trees and take issue with what clearly seems to be a genre feature rather than a uniquely Tolkien literary decision. Furthermore, there is a discussion to be had in terms of foundational literature and how criticisms of works that form the basis for an entire movement in narrative decision-making should take such things into account. Lastly, and maybe you missed this, but Tolkien deliberately keeps the majority of his characters static so that the fluid ones stick out. I'll let you guess which race these fluid characters tend to be

5. See 4; the same criticisms apply here. Fantasy oftentimes deliberately makes the moral dimensions easy and clear so that the allegorical value of the narrative is more easily communicated. Unrealistic moral signposting is a great way to say something about the real world, you just have to look a little deeper, I think.

6. This one speaks for itself as well.

In sum, I think you just don't like fantasy


And here I was, wanting to keep it brief

You claim that I make many arguments in absentia, yet you counter with one too. You think that I just don't like fantasy, while I actually love it. The problem is that in 99% cases the level of writing is lower in fantasy than sci-fi, making finding really good (or even worthwile) books in the genre harder to come by. I really wish there was a fantasy book on par with some of the sci-fi stuff that blew me away. Sadly, I haven't found it yet (I though that Lord of the Ice Garden would be such a book but it ended up being sci-fi disguised as fantasy - we discovered a new planet, there's magic, technology doesn't work, they send the guy equipped with some biotech and "magic", read "modern" - as in ultra-light and durable steel, equipment to investigate the sudden silence from the research station established earlier).

I used to be a deveout follower of Tolkien back in the day, read his works numerous times and would call anyone speaking like myself today a blasphemer. I've also never actually said that Le Guin or Eddings are better (see the question marks in my original post?). I'd love to read me some not-so-high fantasy is all... Not entirely grimdark or anything like that (JRRM is shit, deal with it). Why can't anyone write a good book in a setting like Athas for example? Post-apocalyptic fantasy world where halflings are vicious cannibals, elves are gypsy thieves and assassins, slavery is common, reading is forbidden etc. I'm kind of tired of the same old thing being slightly refurbished and thrown to the masses over and over again...

And I've finally figured out what's the best fantasy thing. The works of Robert E. Howard. Not the best writing ever, not the deepest characters, but boy is it fun to read.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
July 23 2015 20:33 GMT
#712
>2015
>trying to delineate sci fi and fantasy
TranslatorBaa!
babylon
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
8765 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-07-23 21:31:18
July 23 2015 21:18 GMT
#713
I like Tolkien's academic writing more than his fiction writing. It feels like I'm getting a glimpse into the inner workings of a genius madman. He cares so much about fantasy and storytelling, it's infectious. Love him.

Every time I try to read Sanderson, I just end up feeling so unimpressed by his writing. (Like, it strikes me as slightly worse than David Gaider-level prose, and Gaider basically writes like he's writing a screenplay!) Add to that the fact that I care very little about magic systems and worldbuilding, and I'm not sure if I should even try anymore. :/

ETA:

I'd love to read me some not-so-high fantasy is all... Not entirely grimdark or anything like that (JRRM is shit, deal with it). Why can't anyone write a good book in a setting like Athas for example? Post-apocalyptic fantasy world where halflings are vicious cannibals, elves are gypsy thieves and assassins, slavery is common, reading is forbidden etc.

Just on my mind lately because I've been playing a lot of it, but you find a lot of this in the Dragon Age universe. If you haven't played the series yet and are willing to give approximately 300 hours of your life to the games, I do recommend it. (Not to mention, you can play the first game kind of like a bastardized RTS ...)
Surth
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Germany456 Posts
July 23 2015 22:13 GMT
#714
On July 24 2015 05:33 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
>2015
>trying to delineate sci fi and fantasy

make up your own definition if you want, dont chicken out!


i believe your actions dishonour Starcraft 2 LotV cybersport!
Mr. Wiggles
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada5894 Posts
July 24 2015 01:37 GMT
#715
Finished:

[image loading]

and

[image loading]

They were both fun reads, I enjoyed them. Really liked the absurdity of the situation presented in each.
you gotta dance
GhandiEAGLE
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States20754 Posts
July 24 2015 02:03 GMT
#716
Sheep Chase is good, you should follow it up with Dance, Dance, Dance!
Oh, my achin' hands, from rakin' in grands, and breakin' in mic stands
dmnum
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Brazil6910 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-07-24 02:25:09
July 24 2015 02:23 GMT
#717
Cat's Cradle is amazing. the hy-u-o-ook-kuh part always makes me laugh.

-

I need recommendations of books about Pre-Columbian society. I know it's a vast subject, but any tips are welcome.
I already know about and am going to get 1491.
Mr. Wiggles
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada5894 Posts
July 25 2015 02:50 GMT
#718
On July 24 2015 11:03 GhandiEAGLE wrote:
Sheep Chase is good, you should follow it up with Dance, Dance, Dance!

Yeah, I might do that for my next Murakami novel.
you gotta dance
nojok
Profile Joined May 2011
France15846 Posts
July 25 2015 09:04 GMT
#719
On July 25 2015 11:50 Mr. Wiggles wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 24 2015 11:03 GhandiEAGLE wrote:
Sheep Chase is good, you should follow it up with Dance, Dance, Dance!

Yeah, I might do that for my next Murakami novel.

Be careful, I read too much of Murakami at once and I don't feel ready to read some for a while. I think it's also due to the fact I read his masterpieces first.

After almost no reading this year, I catched back a bit during the last 3 weeks of holydays!

Les désorientés from Amin Maalouf, a French Lebanese writer, it's about a Lebanese emigrate going back in Lebanon to meet some old friends he lost touch with because of the war. Great book about the Middle East as of course,, all his friends are Arabs but also Jew, Christian or Muslim. One of my favorite writers.

The brothers Karamazov tome 1, from Dostoïevski, a classic, was not disappoited to say the least. It was great. Already bought tome 2.

Desolation Angels, my first Kerouac novel, it's fun, what a weirdo, i'll read some more of him.

Anima, Wajdi Amouad, again a Lebanese writing in French. It's about a guy looking for his wife's murderer, the main character has some scares left of Lebanese war again. The main point of this book is it's written from surrounding animals' perspective.

Au revoir là-haut, Pierre Lemaitre, three guys making their best to get back into life after the first World War, including one on the back of the other two. It won the most prestigious novel award in France. A very good read, unfortunately the author only wrote detective novels outisde of this book and it's not my cup of tea.

Naissance d'un pont, Maylis de Kerangal, a book about building a massive bridge, focused around ten or so characters, from the big boss to the worker perspective. It's nicely written and it's an unusual subject so it brings some fresh air. Not as good as the previous books.

Books I did not make past page 100 :
Game of thrones, I was in Spain and read all my books, gave it a try as my girlfriend was reading it. It's so badly written (translated?), don't go on this one after reading some masters' writings.

Help!, Redmond O'Hanlon, lent to me by my father, British humour about a trip in Amazonia, not my cup of tea.

Goofy Guardian Angel, Arto Paasilinna, a guy becoming an angel and making some rookies mistakes, again, very British humour, lent by my father again.

I refilled at the bookstore yesterday :
Karamazov tome 2
On the state of Egypt, Alaa El Aswany
Roof tile of Tempio, Inoue
My first Mo Yan novel and a Xinran novel, I love all those Chinese novels as the last century in China is fascinating and on the plus side, they write extremely well (and the translation in French does not seem that bad).



"Back then teams that won were credited, now it's called throw. I think it's sad." - Kuroky - Flap Flap Wings!
maybenexttime
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Poland5872 Posts
July 25 2015 09:17 GMT
#720
On July 09 2015 01:30 maybenexttime wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 29 2015 00:00 Manit0u wrote:
On June 19 2015 17:17 maybenexttime wrote:
Currently reading:

"Diaspora" by Greg Egan

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]



Diaspora is mind-blowing. Almost as good as Watt's Blindsight.

Grats on finishing Lód. Attempted it several times, farthest I got was around page 500 (heard the action starts around 700) but I will tackle this monstrosity one day (read everything else by Dukaj so far).

You should also try Beckett's Genesis. This blows minds real hard.


Recently finished:

"Diaspora" by Greg Egan

"How Rich Countries Got Rich And Why Poor Countries Stay Poor" by Erik Reinert

I liked "Perfect Imperfection" by Dukaj a lot more than "Diaspora" by Egan. I was very intrigued how stahs managed to retain their power despite post-humans being so much more capable. The introduction into this foreign world seemed more natural as well. At the same time, "Diaspora" was definitely a good read and I recommend it. I liked how the story unfolded. Surprisingly, the time skipping did not feel unnatural. The ending was interesting, it somehow made me feel at peace (although some people might consider it a let-down).

My list of books to read is already pretty stacked and I have something to read for perhaps the next two years, so I am not sure about genesis. We'll see.


Currently reading:

"Economics: The User's Guide" by Ha-Joon Chang

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


"The Man in the High Castle" by Philip K. Dick

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]



Coming up next:

"Dune" by Frank Herbert

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


"The Prince" by Niccolo Machiavelli

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Recently finished:

"Economics: The User's Guide" by Ha-Joon Chang

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


A great overview of different theories of economy and a great source of books for further reading.

"The Man in the High Castle" by Philip K. Dick

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


While the premise was very interesting, the execution was rather sub-par. The book was all over the place, without any sense of direction in the plot. The worldbuilding was scant, and while the depiction of Germans under Nazi rule was quite truthful, that of the Japanese reeked of the author's ignorance in the matter. They are portrayed as noble and reasonable (save for their soft spot for I-Ching), while in reality they were just as fanatic and murderous as Germans during the war, and also used terror, genocide and concentration camps as a means of conquest, and practiced human experimentation. On top of that, some characters sometimes acted irrationally for no apparent reason, breaking their characters. All in all, the book was okay, but I have to consider it strangely overhyped.


Currently reading:

"Dune" by Frank Herbert

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


I've read about 50 pages so far and I'm hooked. I am even considering re-playing either Dune 2000 or Emperor: Battle for Dune.

"The Prince" by Niccolo Machiavelli

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]



Coming up next:

"Solaris" by Stanisław Lem

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


"Bad Samaritans" by Ha-Joon Chang (rereading)

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
Prev 1 34 35 36 37 38 54 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 41m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech131
SpeCial 112
Nathanias 1
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 395
MaD[AoV]32
910 22
Bale 13
League of Legends
JimRising 509
Counter-Strike
fl0m4465
Fnx 594
minikerr9
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox487
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4132
Other Games
summit1g7415
FrodaN567
C9.Mang0252
Trikslyr19
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV253
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream17
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• davetesta1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21468
Other Games
• imaqtpie791
• Shiphtur735
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
1h 41m
Patches Events
17h 41m
The PondCast
1d 11h
INu's Battles
1d 12h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 23h
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.