• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:41
CEST 22:41
KST 05:41
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20268Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9333 users

What Are You Reading 2014 - Page 3

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 73 74 75 Next
imre
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
France9263 Posts
January 09 2014 03:01 GMT
#41
On January 09 2014 11:02 dmnum wrote:
have you read anna karenina? it's better imo

edit: not that war and peace is bad, it's among the best things I've ever read, but anna karenina is the best novel ever written, followed closely only by the brothers karamazov


yeah i read it a bit latter, was ineed a bit better, the death of ivan illich is amazing too. any advice on something else to pick up from tolstoy ?
Zest fanboy.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
January 09 2014 03:04 GMT
#42
On January 09 2014 12:01 sAsImre wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 09 2014 11:02 dmnum wrote:
have you read anna karenina? it's better imo

edit: not that war and peace is bad, it's among the best things I've ever read, but anna karenina is the best novel ever written, followed closely only by the brothers karamazov


yeah i read it a bit latter, was ineed a bit better, the death of ivan illich is amazing too. any advice on something else to pick up from tolstoy ?


i want to research about his "christian anarchism"
shikata ga nai
dmnum
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Brazil6910 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-09 03:17:33
January 09 2014 03:15 GMT
#43
On January 09 2014 12:01 sAsImre wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 09 2014 11:02 dmnum wrote:
have you read anna karenina? it's better imo

edit: not that war and peace is bad, it's among the best things I've ever read, but anna karenina is the best novel ever written, followed closely only by the brothers karamazov


yeah i read it a bit latter, was ineed a bit better, the death of ivan illich is amazing too. any advice on something else to pick up from tolstoy ?

Hadji Murat, The Death of Ivan Ilyich, The Kreutzer Sonata, Resurrection. Keep in mind that they're all very different from War and Peace and Anna Karenina, since those works were written after his spiritual awakening.
From earlier Tolstoy the only work I've read besides Anna Karenina and War and Peace is family happiness, which is great. It's hard for me to pinpoint the exact work of his you should read because they're mostly even in quality. The only ones that stand above the others are Karenina, Ilyich and War and Peace. After that anything you read by him will be good, but you should pick the one you're most interested in.

I cannot comment on The Kingdom of God is Within You as I have not read it, but Resurrection and The Kreutzer Sonata have some Christian Anarchism ideas expressed in them.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
January 09 2014 03:26 GMT
#44
On January 09 2014 11:13 packrat386 wrote:
short stories?.


[image loading]
shikata ga nai
imre
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
France9263 Posts
January 09 2014 03:44 GMT
#45
On January 09 2014 12:15 dmnum wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 09 2014 12:01 sAsImre wrote:
On January 09 2014 11:02 dmnum wrote:
have you read anna karenina? it's better imo

edit: not that war and peace is bad, it's among the best things I've ever read, but anna karenina is the best novel ever written, followed closely only by the brothers karamazov


yeah i read it a bit latter, was ineed a bit better, the death of ivan illich is amazing too. any advice on something else to pick up from tolstoy ?

Hadji Murat, The Death of Ivan Ilyich, The Kreutzer Sonata, Resurrection. Keep in mind that they're all very different from War and Peace and Anna Karenina, since those works were written after his spiritual awakening.
From earlier Tolstoy the only work I've read besides Anna Karenina and War and Peace is family happiness, which is great. It's hard for me to pinpoint the exact work of his you should read because they're mostly even in quality. The only ones that stand above the others are Karenina, Ilyich and War and Peace. After that anything you read by him will be good, but you should pick the one you're most interested in.

I cannot comment on The Kingdom of God is Within You as I have not read it, but Resurrection and The Kreutzer Sonata have some Christian Anarchism ideas expressed in them.


ok i'll just pick up something in the local library, thanks for the advice
Zest fanboy.
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7684 Posts
January 09 2014 05:08 GMT
#46
On January 09 2014 11:13 packrat386 wrote:
The Stranger is so good. I'm going to finish it today.

Any recommendations for a good collection of short stories? I've been reading not fun things for too long.


La Chute by Camus.

Death of Ivan Ilyich was good. I read it with Kafka's The Trial in the same week. Some interesting connections there.
It is terrible to die of thirst at sea. Must you so salt your truth that it will no longer even slake thirst?
packrat386
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States5077 Posts
January 09 2014 05:15 GMT
#47
Book Log
+ Show Spoiler +

And my first book for this year, Love and Math:
[image loading]

This was a birthday gift from my parents and I’m halfway in. It’s partly a biography of a young mathematician overcoming discrimination and finding his passion in soviet Russia. The other part is a sort of an explanation as to why he enjoys math so much. I find the biographical element really interesting, but so far the math has not been terribly engaging. I understand that he’s trying to avoid the kind of nitty gritty detail that makes people hate math in school, but it often leaves me feeling like it hasn’t really been explained. We’ll see how the rest goes.

Happy New Year Folks!

Finished: Love and Math
This book could have been 2 books, one of which I would gladly read, and one of which I would gladly leave on the shelf. The far more interesting part of this book was the biography of the author, who beat the odds and anti-semitism of his home country (soviet russia) to become a mathemetician. His story of working on mathematical discoveries as a side job and sneaking into the best university to read papers and attend lectures, was compelling and interesting.

On the other had his presentation of mathematics was largely boring. I get what feels like a real sense of the passion that he has for math, but I find that his descriptions are too general for me to feel like they've been really explained. Part of my distaste may also stem from the fact that I don't find discussion of these sorts of concepts that interesting to begin with, so it would take a lot for the author to win me over.

I would recommend the book to someone who really enjoys abstract math, but otherwise just get a good biography instead.

Next I'm going to read The Stranger
[image loading]

Since a lot of people on here seem to like it (I'm looking at you corumjhaelen). Should be good!


Finished: The Stranger
Excellent book. I had read a little bit of existentialism before this, so I wasn't unprepared for the content. That said the presentation was great. I really loved the descriptions of the protagonist just experiencing life in the moment. I don't think I need to give a detailed review of this book since half of the people here seem to have read it but, 5/5 would binge read again.

I've decided to pick up Sixty Stories
[image loading]

At the recommendation of sam. Should be good!
dreaming of a sunny day
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7684 Posts
January 09 2014 05:33 GMT
#48
You are missing out on La Chute.
It is terrible to die of thirst at sea. Must you so salt your truth that it will no longer even slake thirst?
itkovian
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States1763 Posts
January 09 2014 08:02 GMT
#49
The Stranger was quite the read. I think I appreciated it a lot more than I enjoyed it... if that makes any sense. I think the scene where he + Show Spoiler +
shoots the Arab has to be one of the most powerful scenes I've read in a novel. It was just the oddest mix of the absurdity of the scene, and the rational in the protagonist's mind.


Because of the praise for W&P I'm definitely going to start now. Wish me luck haha
=)=
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7684 Posts
January 09 2014 08:36 GMT
#50
[image loading]

Starting this to take a break from nonfiction.
It is terrible to die of thirst at sea. Must you so salt your truth that it will no longer even slake thirst?
stroggozzz
Profile Joined July 2013
New Zealand81 Posts
January 09 2014 09:47 GMT
#51
i read a lot of books over the last month and a bit. Mostly boring stuff like globalization.

Fun books i read were: 'early socratic dialogues', by Plato. And 'The Histories' by Herodotus. Sam!zdat you will be pleased to hear that i have finished volume 1 of David Harveys companion to Capital. I might need to read it again some time.

my reading list keeps growing
i drink ur milkshake
pedrlz
Profile Joined September 2012
Brazil5234 Posts
January 09 2014 11:13 GMT
#52
Kindle is amazing, but is so easy to get books that I read like 100 pages from a book and move to another. I need to stop doing that. I'm on the way from The Castle, Kafka; Atonement, Ian McEwan; Dubliners, Joyce; Brothers Karamazov (just like 300 pages left); The Book of Disquiet, Fernando Pessoa aaaand Invisible Cities from Italo Calvino.

I'm find Atonement really good, McEwan seems very good at developing character, I'm at when + Show Spoiler +
the little girl finds out what is on the letter


The Castle I already read like 1/3 of the book a year ago but dropped because I had to study, I'm still rereading these pages. IMO seems the best work from Kafka.

Dubliners is so beautiful, nothing more to say, simple and beautiful.

TBK is so long, omg. I loved Crime and Punishement but I'm reading Brother's for like 3/4 months always stopping and starting from the beginning. Meanwhile I find out Dostoiesvki a genius for his character (who wouldn't?) after + Show Spoiler +
Fiódor's death
I lost motivation to finish, the story seems pretty boring.

Book of Disquiet from Pessoa is ahn.. Alright I guess, I don't know, I usually like this deep "I want to be a philosopher" books like Kundera and Mussil, but I couldn't get this, maybe just too much sadness for me, I don't really know.

Invisible Cities I just started yesterday, seems promiser, I already read Italo's Traveler, I think I will get a little disappoint in the end, but if I wouldn't it will be marvelous.


Also itkovian, I reread The Stranger yesterday too haha
Salteador Neo
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Andorra5591 Posts
January 09 2014 16:29 GMT
#53
I'm reading The Black Prism by Brent Weeks, halfway through and enjoying it so far :D

It is kinda similar to a book by Brandon Sanderon, but I'm cool with that because I loved that one too xd
Revolutionist fan
lungic
Profile Joined January 2012
Sweden123 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-09 20:39:16
January 09 2014 20:22 GMT
#54
On January 09 2014 10:08 itkovian wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 07 2014 20:01 lungic wrote:
Hi guys.

Anyone knows any good books on leadership and likewise psychology?


Have you read How to Win Friends and Influence People? That might be a book you'd be interested in. I definitely learned a couple useful things from it.

...



I'm not quite sure about this one. I won't disregard it completely, but I'd assume since its a Dale Carnegie, its mostly covers the "American ideal" on how to be a successful businessman. I.e. to become an extrovert or fail. (Compare with: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8520610-quiet ).

Last books I've read on the subject are:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/66354.Flow
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6452796-drive
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41786.Joel_on_Software

I work in the software industry, rather than sales, and I've spent most of my days in a flow like scenario. But now I'm getting into a more leading role (not managing), and I want some idéas on how to help setup the environment for our team.

Edit: Thank you
Shiragaku
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Hong Kong4308 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-09 21:42:13
January 09 2014 21:41 GMT
#55
This is by far the best existential novel I have read. It was even better than The Myth of Sisyphus.
[image loading]
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
January 09 2014 21:47 GMT
#56
The Plague is amazing I need to read it again at some point.

Though my personal favorite Camus is, I think, The Fall.
TranslatorBaa!
Surth
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Germany456 Posts
January 09 2014 22:53 GMT
#57
The First Man is the best one. The most depressing thing he has written, though, are his notebooks. the last few years... christ.

Anyway, I read Super Sad True Love Story. It sucked.
i believe your actions dishonour Starcraft 2 LotV cybersport!
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
January 09 2014 23:44 GMT
#58
On January 09 2014 18:47 stroggozzz wrote:
Sam!zdat you will be pleased to hear that i have finished volume 1 of David Harveys companion to Capital


<3

[image loading]
shikata ga nai
JazVM
Profile Joined October 2012
Germany1196 Posts
January 10 2014 00:03 GMT
#59
Just read "Veronica decides to die" by Paolo Cuelho. Worse than expected.
mind mind mind mind mind mind
packrat386
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States5077 Posts
January 10 2014 00:08 GMT
#60
Book Log
+ Show Spoiler +

And my first book for this year, Love and Math:
[image loading]

This was a birthday gift from my parents and I’m halfway in. It’s partly a biography of a young mathematician overcoming discrimination and finding his passion in soviet Russia. The other part is a sort of an explanation as to why he enjoys math so much. I find the biographical element really interesting, but so far the math has not been terribly engaging. I understand that he’s trying to avoid the kind of nitty gritty detail that makes people hate math in school, but it often leaves me feeling like it hasn’t really been explained. We’ll see how the rest goes.

Happy New Year Folks!

Finished: Love and Math
This book could have been 2 books, one of which I would gladly read, and one of which I would gladly leave on the shelf. The far more interesting part of this book was the biography of the author, who beat the odds and anti-semitism of his home country (soviet russia) to become a mathemetician. His story of working on mathematical discoveries as a side job and sneaking into the best university to read papers and attend lectures, was compelling and interesting.

On the other had his presentation of mathematics was largely boring. I get what feels like a real sense of the passion that he has for math, but I find that his descriptions are too general for me to feel like they've been really explained. Part of my distaste may also stem from the fact that I don't find discussion of these sorts of concepts that interesting to begin with, so it would take a lot for the author to win me over.

I would recommend the book to someone who really enjoys abstract math, but otherwise just get a good biography instead.

Next I'm going to read The Stranger
[image loading]

Since a lot of people on here seem to like it (I'm looking at you corumjhaelen). Should be good!


Finished: The Stranger
Excellent book. I had read a little bit of existentialism before this, so I wasn't unprepared for the content. That said the presentation was great. I really loved the descriptions of the protagonist just experiencing life in the moment. I don't think I need to give a detailed review of this book since half of the people here seem to have read it but, 5/5 would binge read again.


I ditched sixty stories because it didn't look very good in the library (sorry sam). Instead I picked up This Side of Paradise
[image loading]

I've heard from some that it is actually better than gatsby. Should be good.

At the recommendation of sam. Should be good!
dreaming of a sunny day
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 73 74 75 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 34m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 576
ProTech137
RuFF_SC2 86
Nina 83
JuggernautJason70
Liquid`TLO 7
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 20259
Calm 2456
Mini 176
Dewaltoss 110
firebathero 92
soO 50
Bale 25
PianO 16
Sacsri 4
Dota 2
Gorgc7865
monkeys_forever138
canceldota26
League of Legends
Doublelift2386
Counter-Strike
Fnx 1582
fl0m1224
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu839
Other Games
summit1g3968
FrodaN1831
Beastyqt509
shahzam496
mouzStarbuck325
B2W.Neo308
ToD211
C9.Mang0146
Trikslyr105
RotterdaM91
UpATreeSC78
Mew2King38
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 45
• mYiSmile17
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 7
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1027
• Shiphtur696
• WagamamaTV226
Upcoming Events
OSC
1h 34m
Replay Cast
2h 19m
OSC
1d 2h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 13h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 20h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 22h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.