• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:30
CEST 14:30
KST 21:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20264Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Sagi.gg Launcher Released SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8408 users

What Are You Reading 2014 - Page 5

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 73 74 75 Next
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
January 13 2014 20:06 GMT
#81
On January 14 2014 04:45 dmnum wrote:
Finished Einchmann in Jerusalem. Interesting but not very good, it's a bit all over the place. Arendt's ideas are neat though and I'll eventually come back to her philosophy.

Also read Candide, which was funny but I studied Voltaire so I already knew most of the book.

Now reading Madame Bovary. I'm not really fond of Flaubert's description of places but he brings thunder every time he comments on human nature.


I remember quite liking Flaubert's setting. Often you see ham-fisted attempts at linking the external environment to the internal thoughts of characters that just come off as awkward and slightly amateurish, but from what I remember Flaubert did a good job of making it seem very natural :o
TranslatorBaa!
dmnum
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Brazil6910 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-13 20:23:13
January 13 2014 20:22 GMT
#82
On January 14 2014 04:52 corumjhaelen wrote:
Did you read l'Education sentimentale ?
It's about 10 times better imo. And Mme Bovary is a great novel.
Edit : I also like Salammbô better, but I'm a bit crazy and the cruel poetry might get lost in translation :/

Nope, first Flaubert I've read. I'll read Sentimental Education some time soon.

On January 14 2014 05:06 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 14 2014 04:45 dmnum wrote:
Finished Einchmann in Jerusalem. Interesting but not very good, it's a bit all over the place. Arendt's ideas are neat though and I'll eventually come back to her philosophy.

Also read Candide, which was funny but I studied Voltaire so I already knew most of the book.

Now reading Madame Bovary. I'm not really fond of Flaubert's description of places but he brings thunder every time he comments on human nature.


I remember quite liking Flaubert's setting. Often you see ham-fisted attempts at linking the external environment to the internal thoughts of characters that just come off as awkward and slightly amateurish, but from what I remember Flaubert did a good job of making it seem very natural :o

The setting is fine, is his way of describing things that doesn't please me too much. He took way too many pages to estabilish the setting, while other writers I've read(Tolstoy jumps to mind) manage to paint broader pictures in fewer words. He toned it down a lot during the second half of the book(because there's no need for him to describe the same places again), so it didn't bug me too much.
Clbull
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United Kingdom1439 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-13 20:38:04
January 13 2014 20:29 GMT
#83
Jim B. Tucker M.D. - Return To Life
[image loading]
In actuality, I finished this book in December last year but it's a very recent read. It's one of many books exploring the phenomenon that is past life memories. Jim Tucker explores a number of cases mainly within North America where children as young as two have started to recall living before. This includes a number of cases such as a child remembering that he died when his plane was shot down in Iwo Jima in 1945, another remembering that he used to direct Hollywood films and a third in Scotland remembering a life on the remote island of Barra.

There are some frightening consistencies in these cases. 1) Contradictory to what child psychologists say, these children don't constantly change their stories as they normally would if they were making stuff up, 2) Children have put a lot of emotiional attachment in each of these cases and 3) A vast majority of the details these children supposedly remember has been consistent with the actual previously living person investigated.

However, I do find his quantum mechanics theory for why this happens very farfetched and not based on a deep knowledge of the subject. It goes a lot into the idea of 'multiverses' and 'quantum consciousness' when findings in neuroscience have slowly contradicted this.

Haruki Murakami - South of the Border, West of the Sun
[image loading]
On the recommendation of a friend, I picked this book up and started reading it all the way to the end on a night where I wasn't feeling very well.

It focuses on a guy called Hajime and his childhood lady-friend, Shinamoto. Because of his own lack of self-esteem, he pretty much stops talking to her once they go to separate schools, doesn't approach her when he sees her a decade later then finally meets her again when he's married and in his mid-thirties and has to decide whether to plough her and ruin the sanctity of his marriage or keep her at a distance and risk losing her again.

I won't spoil what happens but the ending is messed all the way up and ends on such a twist that makes you wonder "What the fuck happened?"

When I mentioned this to my friend, she said that's how Murakami apparently loves to end his stories. Perhaps he's like the M. Night Shyamalan of novelists.

EDIT: I don't know what I plan to read next. People constantly tell me to get into ASOIAF but I didn't like the Game of Thrones TV series all that much.
zulu_nation8
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
China26351 Posts
January 13 2014 20:36 GMT
#84
Can anyone shed light on if Paglia is a good feminist?
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
January 13 2014 20:39 GMT
#85
troll :p
shikata ga nai
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
January 13 2014 20:40 GMT
#86
LOL.
Read the US politic megathread about twenty pages back or something :p
Also Flaubert's description in Bovary are very funny imo.
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
zulu_nation8
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
China26351 Posts
January 13 2014 21:09 GMT
#87
I searched her on TL and found a bunch of incoherent posts. So is she not? If so who's a reasonable feminist?
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
January 13 2014 21:14 GMT
#88
that really depends on what you mean by "reasonable"

she's a very controversial figure
shikata ga nai
zulu_nation8
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
China26351 Posts
January 13 2014 21:18 GMT
#89
I understand that, I just wanna ask if she's worth reading, I don't know anything about feminism.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
January 13 2014 21:22 GMT
#90
if you want to learn about feminism, don't start with camille paglia.
shikata ga nai
zulu_nation8
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
China26351 Posts
January 13 2014 21:25 GMT
#91
who is someone in her generation i can read then.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
January 13 2014 21:38 GMT
#92
I can't really recommend anything, sorry, I avoid gender politics like the plague
shikata ga nai
zulu_nation8
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
China26351 Posts
January 13 2014 21:41 GMT
#93
so how do you know shes not worth reading lol
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
January 13 2014 21:48 GMT
#94
oh I think she probably IS worth reading, in fact I probably agree with her about a lot of things. I'm just saying that if you read her you should know that probably most mainstream feminists think that she is a dutiful daughter of the patriarchy or something.
shikata ga nai
zulu_nation8
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
China26351 Posts
January 13 2014 21:56 GMT
#95
I understand, I was interested because I read some article about her and found her lack of resentment refreshing.
Lysergic
Profile Joined December 2010
United States355 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-14 04:06:49
January 14 2014 02:34 GMT
#96
Steven Erikson - The Malazan Book of the Fallen

I just started reading the 4th book: House of Chains.

[image loading]

+ Show Spoiler [Alternative Cover + Series Cover] +

[image loading]

[image loading]



Recommended if you like A Song of Ice and Fire (ASOIAF / Game of Thrones). First book is a bit confusing, and I didn't really get into it until ~halfway through the 2nd book. The 3rd book however, Memories of Ice, was really good.
Xxio
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada5565 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-14 04:07:03
January 14 2014 04:06 GMT
#97
yo, not cool
no links to torrents...
KTY
KillerSOS
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States4207 Posts
January 14 2014 14:30 GMT
#98
I'm currently reading The Prism Wars by Brent Weeks. It's not bad... not amazing though.
FaCE_1
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
Canada6185 Posts
January 14 2014 14:47 GMT
#99
Got this for chrismas. Just started reading it.

[image loading]
n_n
TOCHMY
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Sweden1692 Posts
January 14 2014 15:38 GMT
#100
On January 14 2014 23:30 KillerSOS wrote:
I'm currently reading The Prism Wars by Brent Weeks. It's not bad... not amazing though.


That's what I thought of his Black Prism book. Not bad but not amazing.
Yoona <3 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Look! It's Totoro! ☉.☉☂
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 73 74 75 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
Zoun vs herOLIVE!
SHIN vs TBD
IntoTheiNu 1240
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 242
Rex 83
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 55009
Calm 3926
Shuttle 3078
Bisu 1381
FanTaSy 1243
firebathero 386
Stork 277
Hyuk 262
Zeus 244
Mini 239
[ Show more ]
Soma 237
actioN 219
EffOrt 213
Rush 212
Soulkey 167
Last 144
Light 132
ZerO 119
Snow 103
Mong 75
PianO 68
Dewaltoss 65
Pusan 58
Sea.KH 58
Killer 45
Barracks 44
JYJ 43
hero 38
Free 37
Shinee 36
ToSsGirL 32
NotJumperer 32
Bale 31
Yoon 26
Aegong 23
Shine 22
Sharp 22
yabsab 20
Sacsri 19
HiyA 18
Noble 18
sorry 17
Dota 2
Gorgc6679
Dendi543
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1441
kRYSTAL_201
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King100
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko380
Other Games
gofns33603
singsing2000
B2W.Neo705
crisheroes268
DeMusliM231
hiko189
Livibee114
byalli88
ZerO(Twitch)5
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV212
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream23
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 6
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 28
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
OSC
30m
OSC
9h 45m
Replay Cast
10h 30m
OSC
1d 10h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 21h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.