• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:35
CEST 10:35
KST 17:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BSL Season 23 Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10443 users

Hip Hop / Rap Music Discussion - Page 6

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 68 Next
MassHysteria
Profile Joined October 2010
United States3678 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-26 04:01:42
April 25 2013 02:30 GMT
#101
Someone say Bay Area?

One of the top songs ever and a classic imo

I was also going to give props to Deltron 3030 as a good album but saw wei2coolman gave props to it already, so props to wei2.


MFDoom has been brought up (just saw this thread but read through it) as well as Black Bastards which I also recommend. Doom was part of KMD back then and loved this CD for a while (though only a few songs I could probably go back and really enjoy now). Took me a while to find the CD even years later after release due to a cd-cover controversy they had.

I will also LOL at Macklemore being an up and comer. He's been an up and comer for like over 4 years now. I Remember when my exGF gave me his CD years ago and I was like whoa.. that was when I was still following the scene (I wouldn't know any new artists today fyi)

As for the discussion of Jay-Z and Nas, I agree with people saying Nas is a better lyricist but JayZ just makes better songs and albums, although sometimes it is easy to forget how much Nas has sold too. Although he is a distant 2nd to JayZ, he still has mantained pretty solid over the years compared to others in his genre.

I think another part of the reason JayZ remained likable despite "selling out" is bc he kept somewhat transparent in what he did (at least a reason for me). He didn't sugarcoat his actions, he pretty much wrote lyrics that owned it. He gave props to Nas for being a better lyricist (forgot which song) and still owned it. He essentially says the same thing again later on when burning him in The Takeover and saying "you made it a hot line, I made it a great song" when talking about sampling his voice for Dead Presidents. (this coming from a Nas-fan growing up)

He says same in the Black Album, "If skills sold, truth be told, I'd probably lyrically be Talib Kweli / Truthfully I wanna rhyme like Common Sense / But I did 5 mil, I ain't been rhyming like Common since." Some hard hitting lines for me since these were/are some of my fav "backpack" rappers, but you just have to appreciate Jay's lines. (mos def and slug and common and tribe and others > kweli for me though)

For 10,000 internet points: Can you guess what album and track influenced my username "MassHysteria"?
"Just ban all the J's...even jinklejoes" --unnamed source
Frumpysnoo
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States247 Posts
April 25 2013 02:42 GMT
#102
Well someone already linked Flatbush Zombies, might as well get more Beastcoast in here


WarSame
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1950 Posts
April 25 2013 02:45 GMT
#103
This thread has introduced me to a lot of new awesome music. My favourites:

On April 15 2013 12:20 jeeeeohn wrote:
Pete Rock and CL Smooth - T.R.O.Y.

+ Show Spoiler +



On April 15 2013 14:55 Beezleking wrote:
I will never fall out of love with Aesop Rock.
+ Show Spoiler +


On April 15 2013 15:04 .AK wrote:
RJD2 - Ghostwriter (more alternative then the other stuff I have posted)
+ Show Spoiler +


On April 22 2013 06:07 KillerSOS wrote:
I'll link one of my favorites that I doubt most people have heard of.

Omar LinX


Also to comment on the poster above me, Just a Friend is amazing in every way shape and form.

Can it be I stayed away too long? Did you miss these rhymes while I was gone?
Skullflower
Profile Joined July 2010
United States3779 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-25 02:56:11
April 25 2013 02:48 GMT
#104
On April 25 2013 11:30 MassHysteria wrote:
For 10,000 internet points: Can you guess what album and track influenced my username "MassHysteria"?


Nas - Halftime or Eric B. & Rakim - Casualties of War


And since there's been some Beast Coast posted, here's some that seemingly nobody knows of

The ruminations are mine, let the world be yours.
MassHysteria
Profile Joined October 2010
United States3678 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-25 05:30:38
April 25 2013 04:08 GMT
#105
On April 25 2013 11:48 Skullflower wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 25 2013 11:30 MassHysteria wrote:
For 10,000 internet points: Can you guess what album and track influenced my username "MassHysteria"?


Nas - Halftime

Well done Sir.

@WarSame and others: I think you might like Acid Raindrops.


If you do (or even if don't), check out San Francisco Knights, another chill one by People Under the Stairs:
+ Show Spoiler +


They are definitely not lyrically-complex (SF Knights is from late 90s I think so pretty old) but they don't get enough love for some chill songs, altho I do admit I am biased bc they are locals to the area I grew up in.

"Just ban all the J's...even jinklejoes" --unnamed source
GolemMadness
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Canada11044 Posts
April 25 2013 05:31 GMT
#106


Personal Journals is definitely a one of a kind album.
http://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=FLABREZU
WarSame
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1950 Posts
April 25 2013 21:58 GMT
#107
On April 25 2013 13:08 MassHysteria wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 25 2013 11:48 Skullflower wrote:
On April 25 2013 11:30 MassHysteria wrote:
For 10,000 internet points: Can you guess what album and track influenced my username "MassHysteria"?


Nas - Halftime

Well done Sir.

@WarSame and others: I think you might like Acid Raindrops.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbHWJrtH_3U

If you do (or even if don't), check out San Francisco Knights, another chill one by People Under the Stairs:
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFYR4XI9Itw


They are definitely not lyrically-complex (SF Knights is from late 90s I think so pretty old) but they don't get enough love for some chill songs, altho I do admit I am biased bc they are locals to the area I grew up in.


Thanks man, that's pretty good stuff. Not on my favourites list, but definitely something worth listening to. If anyone else has that sort of music(softer hip-hop, as in alternative, trip-hop, etc.) I'd love to hear that too.

And here's an awesome interview between Nardwuar and Kendrick Lamar:

Can it be I stayed away too long? Did you miss these rhymes while I was gone?
Skullflower
Profile Joined July 2010
United States3779 Posts
April 26 2013 01:45 GMT
#108
On April 26 2013 06:58 WarSame wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 25 2013 13:08 MassHysteria wrote:
On April 25 2013 11:48 Skullflower wrote:
On April 25 2013 11:30 MassHysteria wrote:
For 10,000 internet points: Can you guess what album and track influenced my username "MassHysteria"?


Nas - Halftime

Well done Sir.

@WarSame and others: I think you might like Acid Raindrops.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbHWJrtH_3U

If you do (or even if don't), check out San Francisco Knights, another chill one by People Under the Stairs:
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFYR4XI9Itw


They are definitely not lyrically-complex (SF Knights is from late 90s I think so pretty old) but they don't get enough love for some chill songs, altho I do admit I am biased bc they are locals to the area I grew up in.


Thanks man, that's pretty good stuff. Not on my favourites list, but definitely something worth listening to. If anyone else has that sort of music(softer hip-hop, as in alternative, trip-hop, etc.) I'd love to hear that too.


Check out Blue Sky Black Death. Also Deniro Farrar is pretty incredible



The ruminations are mine, let the world be yours.
Steel
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Japan2283 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-27 23:17:37
April 27 2013 23:12 GMT
#109
Hurts me that people are calling macklemore a good rapper...

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/macklemore/cantholdus.html


This shit is so weak. The beat is not terrible I guess, but the lyrics pay no attention to it, no emphasis. Isn't hip hop about flow first of all? Sometimes rappers compensate the lack of depth with amazing flow or vice versa, but this has neither. This is hip hop because he talks fast lol.

example:
this song's lyrics are nonsense. words, mumbling, but it doesn't matter but mos def has amazing flow. The words ride on the beat, and together it makes a decent song. It's not just words over some beat. The opposite from the same artist can be seen in 'Thieves in the Night' where the emphasis is on the poetry and play on words, and the beat plays more softly in the background.

There are plenty or up and coming rappers, but they don't spend half their time dancing or rapping about partying so they don't get as much attention in the mainstream.

quick comment also

On April 25 2013 11:30 MassHysteria wrote:
As for the discussion of Jay-Z and Nas, I agree with people saying Nas is a better lyricist but JayZ just makes better songs and albums, although sometimes it is easy to forget how much Nas has sold too. Although he is a distant 2nd to JayZ, he still has mantained pretty solid over the years compared to others in his genre.


I agree that career-wise maybe Jayz put out more decent stuff than Nas. But the influence that Illmatic has had on hip hop is untouched by Jay-z. His single album has had a bigger impact on the scene than Jay-z's entire career, easily.
Try another route paperboy.
MassHysteria
Profile Joined October 2010
United States3678 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-28 05:16:25
April 27 2013 23:44 GMT
#110
I didn't know Macklemore was so well known now...I seriously heard some tracks off what was prob his first CD back in the days from my exGF but memory is def hazy on that. My hip-hop knowledge stops around 2008 I would say. Still haven't even heard his songs yet now though so can't judge him. Didn't even know how to spell his name until this thread ( I know this because I tried searching him years ago)

What do you guys think of Lamar? I only found out about him around 4 weeks ago as well. I heard The Game call him the best up-and-comer on some sports radio show he appeared on.
On April 28 2013 08:12 Steel wrote:
quick comment also

Show nested quote +
On April 25 2013 11:30 MassHysteria wrote:
As for the discussion of Jay-Z and Nas, I agree with people saying Nas is a better lyricist but JayZ just makes better songs and albums, although sometimes it is easy to forget how much Nas has sold too. Although he is a distant 2nd to JayZ, he still has mantained pretty solid over the years compared to others in his genre.


I agree that career-wise maybe Jayz put out more decent stuff than Nas. But the influence that Illmatic has had on hip hop is untouched by Jay-z. His single album has had a bigger impact on the scene than Jay-z's entire career, easily.

ya definitely agree. When I said distant to JayZ, I only meant in terms of albums sold/money mainly.
"Just ban all the J's...even jinklejoes" --unnamed source
Skullflower
Profile Joined July 2010
United States3779 Posts
April 28 2013 02:51 GMT
#111
Kendrick Lamar is easily one of the best rapper to hit the scene in the past decade
The ruminations are mine, let the world be yours.
Steel
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Japan2283 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-28 03:34:32
April 28 2013 03:34 GMT
#112
I won't lie his albums have amazing production but I can't fine the longevity I'm looking for in his albums. Great ideas that lose steam very quickly.
Try another route paperboy.
DystopiaX
Profile Joined October 2010
United States16236 Posts
May 01 2013 18:53 GMT
#113
Don't know about best in the past decade but Kendrick's pretty amazing.

Actually searched for this thread to post this:
chanceraps.com
Chance the Rapper just dropped his new mixtape, you can DL it from his website above for free. Definitely one of the better albums/mixtapes I've heard in the past couple months. Gonna give it a few more listens but at this point "cocoa butter kisses" is definitely the standout for me, but all of the tracks on it are really strong IMO.
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
May 01 2013 19:02 GMT
#114
This seems appropriate on this day
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Skullflower
Profile Joined July 2010
United States3779 Posts
May 02 2013 04:11 GMT
#115
On May 02 2013 03:53 DystopiaX wrote:
Don't know about best in the past decade but Kendrick's pretty amazing.

Actually searched for this thread to post this:
chanceraps.com
Chance the Rapper just dropped his new mixtape, you can DL it from his website above for free. Definitely one of the better albums/mixtapes I've heard in the past couple months. Gonna give it a few more listens but at this point "cocoa butter kisses" is definitely the standout for me, but all of the tracks on it are really strong IMO.


Pusha Man is the best song on that tape imo. Whole thing is solid though. Also download his other mixtape 10 Day. Solid as well.

The ruminations are mine, let the world be yours.
WarSame
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1950 Posts
May 02 2013 05:59 GMT
#116
Couple classics that got forgotten:

Busta Rhymes - Gimme Some More
+ Show Spoiler +


Outkast - Hey Ya
+ Show Spoiler +


This thread has single-handedly got me really into Hip-hop, and thank you to all of you for helping with that.
Can it be I stayed away too long? Did you miss these rhymes while I was gone?
actionbastrd
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Congo598 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-02 06:12:07
May 02 2013 06:10 GMT
#117
On April 28 2013 08:12 Steel wrote:
Hurts me that people are calling macklemore a good rapper...

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/macklemore/cantholdus.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHRkHFxD-xY

This shit is so weak. The beat is not terrible I guess, but the lyrics pay no attention to it, no emphasis. Isn't hip hop about flow first of all? Sometimes rappers compensate the lack of depth with amazing flow or vice versa, but this has neither. This is hip hop because he talks fast lol.




Its so fucking weird to me how i am hearing the name macklmore everywhere nowadays. I haven't heard any of his stuff since his first album with ryan lewis. So basically his first album and that. I havent listened to his newer stuff. just little cuts of it, i saw him open for blue scholars years ago. His lyrical content must have changed since back then. :-o He used to talk alot about the homeless, black white discrimination n shit

Here is a song on his first album anyway, maybe he sucks now, i have to go listen.

Here is a song from the first album, dj is Budo, dunno who is working with him now. I enjoyed his old stuff, always played common market or blue scholars way more tho =o I grew up by seattle.

Beat has a flute that is pretty good too.



It rained today inside my head...
wei2coolman
Profile Joined November 2010
United States60033 Posts
May 02 2013 06:18 GMT
#118
On April 22 2013 07:08 Ubiquitousdichotomy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2013 07:21 Netto. wrote:
Hello, yesterday I hear some great rop song on radio, however I dont know what is the name of that song. Maybe it is stupid but I only remember that there was something about "metronome" in chorus : P I hope you can help me.

edit: nvm, found it by myself, it is Flobots-No Handlebars


Flobots are not hip-hip or rap. They have a violinist in the band ffs. If anything they are indie/alternate rock
+ Show Spoiler +



Who says violins can't be hiphop?

Also, rapping is merely a technique to deliver lyrics; it itself is not limited into a genre.
liftlift > tsm
SixSongs
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Poland1455 Posts
May 02 2013 06:28 GMT
#119
Hi guys,
my question may be a little bit off-topic but, could you reccomend for me some of your favourite, preferably old-school/classic rap songs to work out. For example I like 2pac, The Roots, NaS, Jay Z, Jedi Mind Tricks, Gangstarr, Onyx, etc etc.

And here are three of my favourite songs that I felt like listening today:

Dialated Peoples ft Kanye West - This way.
+ Show Spoiler +


Pharcyde - Running
+ Show Spoiler +


Guru ft Baybe - Lifesaver
+ Show Spoiler +
The Prince of DroneS
Skullflower
Profile Joined July 2010
United States3779 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-02 06:45:38
May 02 2013 06:44 GMT
#120
On May 02 2013 15:18 wei2coolman wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 22 2013 07:08 Ubiquitousdichotomy wrote:
On April 20 2013 07:21 Netto. wrote:
Hello, yesterday I hear some great rop song on radio, however I dont know what is the name of that song. Maybe it is stupid but I only remember that there was something about "metronome" in chorus : P I hope you can help me.

edit: nvm, found it by myself, it is Flobots-No Handlebars


Flobots are not hip-hip or rap. They have a violinist in the band ffs. If anything they are indie/alternate rock
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=958IDn8Nh1A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36Xt-XeWnHM

Who says violins can't be hiphop?

Also, rapping is merely a technique to deliver lyrics; it itself is not limited into a genre.


There is also Kids These Days. They remind me of the RX Bandits but with a rapper. RX Bandits is also quite possibly my favorite band of all time. And the Flobots definitely qualify as hip hop. Stupid to say they aren't.

The ruminations are mine, let the world be yours.
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 68 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 26m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 3137
Hyuk 276
Horang2 153
Shinee 80
Hyun 67
Hm[arnc] 59
Killer 53
ggaemo 53
sorry 45
Snow 44
[ Show more ]
Bale 33
ZergMaN 28
Bonyth 19
JYJ 15
League of Legends
JimRising 587
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King78
Other Games
summit1g8705
ArmadaUGS77
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick766
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream180
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 9
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2349
League of Legends
• Lourlo1523
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1h 26m
INu's Battles
3h 26m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
6h 26m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
10h 26m
BSL Open Qualifier
10h 26m
Replay Cast
14h 26m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 1h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 2h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 7h
Replay Cast
1d 14h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.