• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:14
CEST 04:14
KST 11:14
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach0[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9610 users

What Are You Reading 2013 - Page 43

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 41 42 43 44 45 165 Next
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
February 25 2013 03:59 GMT
#841
On February 17 2013 16:21 Cambium wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +

On February 04 2013 00:27 Cambium wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +

On January 25 2013 01:12 Cambium wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +

On January 15 2013 20:00 Cambium wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +

Gave up on:
Destiny of the Republic
[image loading]

Another exceedingly dry book, I really don't know why I even started reading it.

Reamde
[image loading]

I read over 60% of this book, and finally decided to give it up as well. I've really enjoyed Stephenson's previous works like Snow Crash, and to a lesser extent, The Diamond Ages. This book is excruciatingly long at over 1000 pages, and there were just passages after passages about irrelevant events that neither add anything to character development nor drive the plot forward. As a native speaker of Mandarin Chinese, I found the random Chinese phrases and names (loads of those) in the book as gimmicky nuisances, as they served no purposes other than to appeal to the 'nerdy' crowd who'd perchance find random Chinese phrases fascinating and chic.

The story itself was decent, but the book was just too long and uninteresting for the most part.

Reading:
Mao's Great Famine
[image loading]

So far so good, I've always had a keen interest in North Korean and Chinese histories.

Next
The Fault in our Stars
[image loading]



Just finished:
Mao's Great Famine
[image loading]

This was initially really interesting, but then it read too much like a history/fact book than a novel. The author only had a handful of sources and stories, and he kept on re-using these same examples to proof different points under different section of the book. I did learn a lot about modern Chinese history, of a period I've only heard stories of. While this book only offered one opinion, it did broaden my perspective, and made me realize how lucky I -- nay, China as a whole -- was that China did not turn out to be like North Korea.

While I was reading this book, I read a ton of wikipedia articles on the same topic, which interestingly frequently cited this book.

Strongly recommended for those who wish to learn more about 'the Great Leap Forward'.

Reading:
Hyperion
[image loading]

The Mao book was too dark, need something that pull me away from reality for a while... I might finish the entire series if the this one proves to be captivating enough.

Next
The Fault in our Stars
[image loading]



Just Read:
Hyperion
[image loading]

Okay, that was a great read. There were a lot of times when I couldn't put the book down until I had finished the whole chapter (and those are long, since there are only six of them).

I enjoyed the different writing styles, but, at times, the style would seem really contrived, and obviously not something the author is used to write.

Some of the stories were a lot better than the others, but overall, it was a very pleasant read.

Reading
[image loading]
Okay, the first book was great, except it leaves you with the biggest cliffhanger ever...

Next
The Fault in our Stars
[image loading]



Just Read
The Fall of Hyperion
[image loading]
This was a slight let down from the first book, albeit still a very pleasant read. I read the last 1/3 of the book in one sitting because I was dying to find out what happened to the characters and the fate of their world.

The Hyperion series was not an easy read. The write style was often times overly descriptive, but ultimately, the overarching plots were very complex, and often times, thought-provoking. What I didn't like about the second book in particular, was that, Simmons would, in certain chapters, state his ideals and philosophies point-blank through his characters, rather than leaving them for my interpretation through the stories themselves.

In any case, these were great books with lots of mind-fucks and inconsistencies, well worth a read.

Reading
Nothing to Envy
[image loading]

Yet another book on North Korea for me, probably the last one if it doesn't tell me something I don't already know.

Next
Shantaram
[image loading]

Behind the Beautiful Forevers
[image loading]

The Fault in our Stars
[image loading]
I'm really going to hold this book off for a bit, because there are such great expectations, I don't know how to approach it.



Just Read
Nothing to Envy
[image loading]

This was a very pleasant read. Contrasting with previous books I’ve read on NK, this one was relatively more upbeat. Instead of focusing on the infamous gulags and prison camps, this book focused on normal citizens trying to live normal lives. This book is great because it didn’t talk about the calamities that westerns typically read about; it didn’t thrive on pompous description of famines and prison brutalities; instead, the focus was on how average citizens of North Korea silently coped with difficulties that are forever increasing and continually perceived as the norm.

The story follows five or so main characters of different backgrounds and social statuses, all connected in some way, and how they all eventually came to the realization that they had been living in lies, and ‘escaped’ (don’t really like this word, it’s closer to decided to leave illegally) North Korea via various different methods. There were stories on romance, on movies and gifts, on university enrolments and job assignments, on riding trains, on entrepreneurship, on technologies, and on just about any and every routine thing you can think of.

I like this book primarily because it makes a strong point that, even in North Korea, most people are still normal, not everyone is being tortured and abused in gulags. People still live, or at the very least, try to live normal lives. Aside from the awful regime, NKers are just normal people like everyone else.

Reading
The Round House
[image loading]

I'm about thirty pages in, and it's quite a page turner.

First Man of Rome
[image loading]

I read about ten pages of this, and I was so confused... I think I'll give this another try at some later point.

Next
Shantaram
[image loading]

Behind the Beautiful Forevers
[image loading]

The Fault in our Stars
[image loading]
I'm really going to hold this book off for a bit, because there are such great expectations, I don't know how to approach it.
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
Azera
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
3800 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-26 08:52:44
February 25 2013 08:59 GMT
#842
The Fault in our Stars really isn't good. Don't build up your expectations.
Check out some great music made by TLers - http://bit.ly/QXYhdb , by intrigue. http://bit.ly/RTjpOR , by ohsea.toc.
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
February 25 2013 23:08 GMT
#843
Finally got it after a 6 week delay

[image loading]
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
LiamTheZerg
Profile Joined March 2011
United States523 Posts
February 25 2013 23:15 GMT
#844
Just finished Malazan book of the fallen

so sad ;(
Jjakji | Sage | Seal | Shuttle | DongRaeGu | oGsTheSTC | Bomber | Curious | Oz
Daumen
Profile Joined July 2011
Germany1073 Posts
February 26 2013 01:49 GMT
#845
[image loading]

(He's back). Not sure if its translated in English yet, its a genius comedy book about (who would have guessed from the Cover) Adolf Hitler, awakening 2011 from a Coma in the streets of Berlin. He's being mistaken for a Impersonator and the most outrageous and most funny dialogues happen :D Its awesome, lots of Puns though that are hard to translate ;D.

Best Seller in Germany, if you can read and understand German, get it! Or if someone already read it in english, tell us if the Translation is also funny ;D
President of the ReaL Fan Club.
Coriolis
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1152 Posts
February 26 2013 01:56 GMT
#846
On February 25 2013 03:05 HeavenS wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 22 2013 17:08 sam!zdat wrote:
[image loading]

edit:@below

On February 22 2013 17:11 Cambium wrote:
Standing on Zanzibar, Dune series, and possibly Red Mars and more Dan Simmons.


nice taste (it's Stand on Zanzibar, though, so no one gets confused. John Brunner is a recent new favorite of mine!


This, SO much this. Im glad someone else finally recommends A Fire Upon the Deep, such a great book. MUCH better than Hyperion, at least IMO. I haven't read A Deepness in the Sky yet, but others say its on par, I think i'll give it a try although im somewhat disappointed with the reviews his third book "children of the sky" received. Also, i really need to read Dune, everyone recommends it idk what keeps holding me back from it. Maybe because I remember the movie as not being so good....
As far as Red Mars, another book lots of people recommend, is it slow paced? I had to trudge through Hyperion which imo is overrated and I'm not looking forward to doing it again.

A Deepness in the Sky is even better than a Fire upon the Deep. Children of the Sky was pretty meh though yeah. But A Deepness in the Sky is probably my favorite book ever, and I mean ffs a star that turns itself on and off all the time is a fantastic setting.
Descolada in everything not TL/Starcraft
feanor1
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States1899 Posts
February 26 2013 02:16 GMT
#847
Guns, Germs, and Steel : The Fate of Human Societies
[image loading]
cz
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States3249 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-26 02:22:16
February 26 2013 02:19 GMT
#848
[image loading]

On reading the first few cases (they average ~20 pages each) I was surprised by how simple some of the solutions are - I remember them being harder to figure out. They're good for a quick read before bed but the modern mystery has moved far beyond Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

On a sidenote I've found some interesting carry-overs from the original to the "Sherlock" TV series (BBC). Little details that were parts of the original cases show up as toss away details on the TV show.
Kommatiazo
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States579 Posts
February 26 2013 12:30 GMT
#849
On February 23 2013 20:46 dmnum wrote:
http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100823100940AAZx7q1

There you go.


Witchcraft.

I must have been searching for all the wrong things haha, I couldn't turn ANYTHING up on the google machine or yahoo answers or anything. I like that the yahoo question was eerily similar to how I actually wrote out my question...
"You must enemy don't know, and very good micro" - Bosstoss #Wet4Ret
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-26 19:41:31
February 26 2013 19:41 GMT
#850
[image loading]
In pursuit of a critique of Nietzsche infatuation.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
ThomasjServo
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
15244 Posts
February 26 2013 19:46 GMT
#851
[image loading]

Neil Gaiman's Sandman Series

[image loading]

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

[image loading]

Walking Dead Compendium 1.

On a general Graphic novel/Neil Gaiman kick at the moment.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
February 26 2013 20:23 GMT
#852
[image loading]
shikata ga nai
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
February 26 2013 20:29 GMT
#853
That's interesting, I'd love to start reading Lacan, but I'm not sure where to start^^ I've asked adviced to my psychiatrist though
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-26 20:36:51
February 26 2013 20:33 GMT
#854
On February 27 2013 05:29 corumjhaelen wrote:
That's interesting, I'd love to start reading Lacan, but I'm not sure where to start^^ I've asked adviced to my psychiatrist though


I would start by reading "The Mirror-Stage." Really, though, if you want to understand something about Lacan and don't have any familiarity with his thought already, I would recommend reading Slavoj Zizek instead, as he will discuss Lacan extensively in any of his books and will put it in somewhat easier language. I would highly recommend The Plague of Fantasies. He also has a book called How to Read Lacan which is a direct presentation, but I haven't read it yet (I will probably read it after I finish Ecrits).

I'm starting this now because I want to make sure I have finished it by the time I go back to school at the end of the summer. I think it will be quite a slog. this is part of the reason I can't read Ulysses right now
shikata ga nai
rusedeguerre
Profile Blog Joined February 2013
121 Posts
February 26 2013 20:37 GMT
#855
[image loading]
Some would say that hydrogen cyanide is a delicious and necessary part of the human diet, but others claim it is a toxic and dangerous substance. The truth must therefore be somewhere in between.
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
February 26 2013 20:39 GMT
#856
I think there are quite a few good introductions to his work in French, so I'll probably start by that. But thatnks for your recommendation, I'll look through it !

And that's good that you can't read Ulysses yet, cause I've like 5 book to read at the same time again and another 1000 page novel would just be too much for me^^
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-26 20:42:45
February 26 2013 20:42 GMT
#857
On February 27 2013 05:39 corumjhaelen wrote:
I think there are quite a few good introductions to his work in French, so I'll probably start by that. But thatnks for your recommendation, I'll look through it !


Try looking for something by Jacques-Alain Miller.

You have a distinct advantage, of course. It's one of Lacan's principle discoveries that "Truth takes the form of a pun in French"

On February 27 2013 05:37 rusedeguerre wrote:
[image loading]


shikata ga nai
themcking
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany23 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-26 20:43:42
February 26 2013 20:43 GMT
#858
Could someone please tell me about a good new crime book with twists and turns?
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
February 26 2013 20:46 GMT
#859
On February 27 2013 05:43 themcking wrote:
Could someone please tell me about a good new crime book with twists and turns?


http://www.amazon.com/Ghostman-Roger-Hobbs/dp/0307959961

This was written by a rather odd fellow I knew slightly in college. Supposedly it's quite good, though not my thing. He got rich quite quickly - I should take up crime writing.
shikata ga nai
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
February 26 2013 20:48 GMT
#860
On February 27 2013 05:42 sam!zdat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 27 2013 05:39 corumjhaelen wrote:
I think there are quite a few good introductions to his work in French, so I'll probably start by that. But thatnks for your recommendation, I'll look through it !


Try looking for something by Jacques-Alain Miller.

You have a distinct advantage, of course. It's one of Lacan's principle discoveries that "Truth takes the form of a pun in French"

I didn't know that quote^^ That's a really good observation about my dear language, or at least the way a lot of us tend to use it
Starting Phèdre right now, expectations are high !
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
Prev 1 41 42 43 44 45 165 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings94
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta26
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 262
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 10719
Dota 2
monkeys_forever959
NeuroSwarm170
febbydoto44
League of Legends
Doublelift6016
JimRising 669
Counter-Strike
minikerr22
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox855
Mew2King35
Other Games
summit1g8594
Maynarde218
ArmadaUGS45
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick392
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 9
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 200
• Letter144
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo286
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
7h 46m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
8h 46m
Monday Night Weeklies
13h 46m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 7h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 7h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 21h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.