• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:56
CEST 14:56
KST 21:56
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup6StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9146 users

Heller vs. DC Decision - Page 11

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 9 10 11 All
Funchucks
Profile Joined June 2007
Canada2113 Posts
June 30 2008 21:02 GMT
#201
On July 01 2008 02:28 Kwark wrote:It was actually the British who offered freedom to slaves willing to fight, not Mel as Hollywood suggests. They've taken a historical event and twisted it in the hope that no-one will notice.

Actually, both sides offered slaves freedom in return for service in the war.
And taxes were 1/20th of what a comparable British paid, not even covering the cost of the colonies defence. ie you were being subsidised by the British taxpayer. I can start citing sources and quoting statistics if needed.

Sources would be good.
I serve my houseguests slices of butter.
5HITCOMBO
Profile Joined March 2006
Japan2239 Posts
June 30 2008 23:13 GMT
#202
On July 01 2008 05:49 micronesia wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 01 2008 01:57 5HITCOMBO wrote:
On June 30 2008 12:28 micronesia wrote:
On June 30 2008 11:38 rpf wrote:
On June 30 2008 10:19 micronesia wrote:
RPF: I agree except I think you are generalizing a bit too much. There are actually some reasonable things to say about gun control, and there are certain pro-gun advocates who should shut up.

Can you elaborate a little bit? I'd like to hear what you have to say about that (what gun control points are valid and what pro-gun advocates should shut up).
I'll pass. I'm not going to dedicate the time/energy to try to defend advocates of increased gun control, even if I do feel some of them are reasonable, and it is all but self evident that there are going to be some pro-gun advocates saying stupid things and getting the discussion nowhere. As a general rule I try not to take a stance on whether or not guns should be controlled on the internet anymore.

What.

So why are you nitpicking the two posters arguing for the constitutional side of things and only their posts? Don't play neutral after clearly choosing a side.

I pointed out what I believe are more or less factual inaccuracies... I have not attempted to convince someone of the proper legality. My goal is not to convince someone on what should be done, but rather what is true. This is why I, for the most part, am not being argumentative.

Edit: Er, if I choose to nitpick some posts and not others that's my prerogative, however, I don't think you should take any offense if I chose your post over someone else's since I'm not closely following this thread.

I stated a bunch of facts about pistols and you followed it up with a half-page, point-by-point refutation of why you could do it better with a rifle or a shotgun.

Basically every point you made there was an opinion. Facts should not be debatable.

Stay out of the discussion if you aren't willing to discuss, please.
I live in perpetual fear of terrorists and studio gangsters
rpf
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
United States2705 Posts
June 30 2008 23:21 GMT
#203
I have to agree with that, micro. You brought up a couple of discussion points, and when asked to elaborate, you decline. When you're ready to discuss it, we'll be here.

What 5hit said is true: Facts aren't really debatable. It's quite easy to look up raw data published by the federal government (and most individual states, as well). It's easy to see what happens, with what, how, and all of that.

Statements that contain things like "Ideally," or "should" usually aren't facts. It's like how Jibba was saying that the way things are right now isn't how it should be; that's an opinion, which is debatable, but what "should be" isn't necessarily right, fair, or Constitutional.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
5HITCOMBO
Profile Joined March 2006
Japan2239 Posts
June 30 2008 23:27 GMT
#204
Actually, you know what?

Nobody's opinion will change about anything.

GL rpf; I'm out .
I live in perpetual fear of terrorists and studio gangsters
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24802 Posts
June 30 2008 23:59 GMT
#205
On July 01 2008 08:13 5HITCOMBO wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 01 2008 05:49 micronesia wrote:
On July 01 2008 01:57 5HITCOMBO wrote:
On June 30 2008 12:28 micronesia wrote:
On June 30 2008 11:38 rpf wrote:
On June 30 2008 10:19 micronesia wrote:
RPF: I agree except I think you are generalizing a bit too much. There are actually some reasonable things to say about gun control, and there are certain pro-gun advocates who should shut up.

Can you elaborate a little bit? I'd like to hear what you have to say about that (what gun control points are valid and what pro-gun advocates should shut up).
I'll pass. I'm not going to dedicate the time/energy to try to defend advocates of increased gun control, even if I do feel some of them are reasonable, and it is all but self evident that there are going to be some pro-gun advocates saying stupid things and getting the discussion nowhere. As a general rule I try not to take a stance on whether or not guns should be controlled on the internet anymore.

What.

So why are you nitpicking the two posters arguing for the constitutional side of things and only their posts? Don't play neutral after clearly choosing a side.

I pointed out what I believe are more or less factual inaccuracies... I have not attempted to convince someone of the proper legality. My goal is not to convince someone on what should be done, but rather what is true. This is why I, for the most part, am not being argumentative.

Edit: Er, if I choose to nitpick some posts and not others that's my prerogative, however, I don't think you should take any offense if I chose your post over someone else's since I'm not closely following this thread.

I stated a bunch of facts about pistols and you followed it up with a half-page, point-by-point refutation of why you could do it better with a rifle or a shotgun.

Basically every point you made there was an opinion. Facts should not be debatable.
I'm going to take the high road regarding what I bolded.... and just point out that it is impossible to provide facts regarding the topic I was discussing with you... it's all going to be opinions. However, the opinions that would be agreed upon by highly credible people are more useful than the opinions of others, typically. If you want to claim that my 'half-page, point-by-point refutation' somehow was not entirely accurate based upon what is agreed upon by the majority of military and law enforcement personnel, then feel free. And yes, facts are usually debatable... just hopefully they persist more times than not.

On July 01 2008 08:21 rpf wrote:
I have to agree with that, micro. You brought up a couple of discussion points, and when asked to elaborate, you decline. When you're ready to discuss it, we'll be here.
First of all I think it's clear that my discussion with 5HitCombo and my discussion with you where you requested more information are not linked/related. You seem to be building on his complaints even though there is no correlation.

What 5hit said is true: Facts aren't really debatable. It's quite easy to look up raw data published by the federal government (and most individual states, as well). It's easy to see what happens, with what, how, and all of that.

Statements that contain things like "Ideally," or "should" usually aren't facts. It's like how Jibba was saying that the way things are right now isn't how it should be; that's an opinion, which is debatable, but what "should be" isn't necessarily right, fair, or Constitutional.

Just to clarify, when I said 'more or less facts' regarding proper gun usage etc., I was not literally meaning facts, and we can argue all day about what facts are, but I'm not interested in semantics. You said:
Can you elaborate a little bit? I'd like to hear what you have to say about that (what gun control points are valid and what pro-gun advocates should shut up).

Are you going to claim that there are 0 logical pro control arguments? Are you going to claim that there are 0 pro gun idiots making poor arguments? It is pretty much guaranteed that what I said was correct. What you wanted was for me to provide specific examples of a claim I made... which is fine when there is at least a reasonable chance that the claim isn't right... but come on. My lack of discussion in this thread has not been because I'm not defending myself at a time when I need to...
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
EmeraldSparks
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States1451 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-07-01 00:10:02
July 01 2008 00:08 GMT
#206
On June 30 2008 03:26 rpf wrote:
Often times, the reasons the pro-rights community resists gun control is on principle (Second Amendment's purpose), or logic (the law-abiding were never the problem in the first place). The anti-rights community responds making asinine and derogatory comments ("It'll be the Wild Wild West!" "I don't feel safe."), which are almost never based on any academia, research, or anything relevant to the discussion.

Then they make comments based on their own general distrust of others and themselves ("People will shoot each other over road rage."). There's a reason many employment exams ask you if you think most employees steal from their employers or if you think people are distrustful. If you think they do, or are, then it's simply due to anecdotal evidence, meaning you take your own personal experience and project it to others.

So, when someone says they think someone would shoot someone over a simple disagreement, it's because they should.

"People who agree with me are logical and intelligent, and people who don't are fucking idiots! Not only that, because they support gun control, they are clearly murderous fucks who would shoot people whenever they get angry!"

I can try and debate facts, but I really can't deal with bullshit like this. Fuck this thread.
But why?
rpf
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
United States2705 Posts
July 01 2008 00:09 GMT
#207
Hahahaha
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Prev 1 9 10 11 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
herO vs Rogue
Classic vs TBD
IntoTheiNu 989
LiquipediaDiscussion
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #149 (SHIN Mod Edition)
ByuN vs KrystianerLIVE!
CranKy Ducklings251
CranKy Ducklings SOOP20
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech122
CosmosSc2 5
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 45203
Shuttle 12242
FanTaSy 1441
Hyuk 974
BeSt 492
Horang2 484
EffOrt 253
Stork 221
Last 173
Zeus 145
[ Show more ]
Pusan 132
Soma 94
Mind 87
Killer 86
Hyun 73
ggaemo 67
sorry 67
hero 66
Sea.KH 53
Snow 49
PianO 45
Hm[arnc] 40
ToSsGirL 37
Bale 29
Aegong 26
zelot 19
JYJ 18
NaDa 15
Sacsri 12
ajuk12(nOOB) 11
Noble 9
Dota 2
qojqva1178
Dendi1101
XcaliburYe337
Counter-Strike
fl0m2844
byalli1052
x6flipin319
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu517
Khaldor46
Other Games
gofns36362
B2W.Neo1146
Beastyqt205
Hui .159
Livibee157
ArmadaUGS99
Mew2King58
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick708
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream61
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 19
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix12
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2235
Upcoming Events
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
2h 4m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
6h 4m
BSL Open Qualifier
6h 4m
Replay Cast
10h 4m
Afreeca Starleague
21h 4m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
22h 4m
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 3h
Replay Cast
1d 10h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 21h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 22h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.