• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:26
CEST 13:26
KST 20:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War625.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BW General Discussion TL Sidebar missing streams ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7739 users

Destiny and Quantic part ways - Page 80

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 78 79 80 81 82 147 Next
Keep this civil, guys
partisan
Profile Joined January 2011
United States783 Posts
May 04 2012 17:05 GMT
#1581
On May 05 2012 02:01 Damrak wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 05 2012 01:59 adrenaLinG wrote:
On May 05 2012 01:56 Shiori wrote:
On May 05 2012 01:48 partisan wrote:
On May 05 2012 01:45 GloPikkle wrote:
I don't really understand why people are defending Destiny given that his attitude over most of his controversial stuff has been "I do what I want". I don't think he ever didn't understand what the consequences might be, he just said that he didn't care. He doesn't really have anyone to blame but himself. Sensitive people will be sensitive, and some people will go further than others to rectify their perceived wrongs.

I think 95% of his BM is pretty funny, but if you're going to try to be edgier and more controversial, I think you also need to think about risk management. And honestly his risk management boiled down to "stfu I do what I want". Well, that's fine, but just don't expect that to be fine forever.

And yes, it IS indeed more professional to NOT be like that. Entertainers, athletes, politicians, anyone in the public eye is held to similar standards.


Because the cult of personality is a strong thing for some people. They don't understand why many people in the community think that his actions can be extremely damaging and that's why we contacted the team/sponsors.

I hate Destiny as a player and comedian, but nevertheless this was a massive abuse of community influence, and IMO what he said wasn't a big deal.

Saying nigger and gook and all sorts of racist shit is actually a big deal and you will get into shit if you say it in any other aspect of public life, so why should a public stream by an esports personality viewed by thousands of people be any different?


but its ok for rappers to this, cuz, you know, they are black?


What? I don't think anyone has made that argument.
adrenaLinG
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada676 Posts
May 04 2012 17:05 GMT
#1582
On May 05 2012 02:02 ProBot wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 05 2012 01:59 adrenaLinG wrote:
On May 05 2012 01:56 Shiori wrote:
On May 05 2012 01:48 partisan wrote:
On May 05 2012 01:45 GloPikkle wrote:
I don't really understand why people are defending Destiny given that his attitude over most of his controversial stuff has been "I do what I want". I don't think he ever didn't understand what the consequences might be, he just said that he didn't care. He doesn't really have anyone to blame but himself. Sensitive people will be sensitive, and some people will go further than others to rectify their perceived wrongs.

I think 95% of his BM is pretty funny, but if you're going to try to be edgier and more controversial, I think you also need to think about risk management. And honestly his risk management boiled down to "stfu I do what I want". Well, that's fine, but just don't expect that to be fine forever.

And yes, it IS indeed more professional to NOT be like that. Entertainers, athletes, politicians, anyone in the public eye is held to similar standards.


Because the cult of personality is a strong thing for some people. They don't understand why many people in the community think that his actions can be extremely damaging and that's why we contacted the team/sponsors.

I hate Destiny as a player and comedian, but nevertheless this was a massive abuse of community influence, and IMO what he said wasn't a big deal.

Saying nigger and gook and all sorts of racist shit is actually a big deal and you will get into shit if you say it in any other aspect of public life, so why should a public stream by an esports personality viewed by thousands of people be any different?


I'm sure if the thousands of people watching it actually gave a shit about what he says or does ... he wouldn't have thousands of people watching. If you don't like what he does or says .... here's an idea .. don't fucking watch it. Genius idea or common sense? I'ld like to think it's common sense but apparently it's not so common.

I don't watch it, nor do I care about the immature people that watch his streams. But his sponsors care, and his racism matters, whether you like it or not.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Shiori
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
3815 Posts
May 04 2012 17:05 GMT
#1583
On May 05 2012 02:04 adrenaLinG wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 05 2012 02:02 Shiori wrote:
On May 05 2012 02:01 adrenaLinG wrote:
On May 05 2012 02:00 Shiori wrote:
On May 05 2012 01:59 adrenaLinG wrote:
On May 05 2012 01:56 Shiori wrote:
On May 05 2012 01:48 partisan wrote:
On May 05 2012 01:45 GloPikkle wrote:
I don't really understand why people are defending Destiny given that his attitude over most of his controversial stuff has been "I do what I want". I don't think he ever didn't understand what the consequences might be, he just said that he didn't care. He doesn't really have anyone to blame but himself. Sensitive people will be sensitive, and some people will go further than others to rectify their perceived wrongs.

I think 95% of his BM is pretty funny, but if you're going to try to be edgier and more controversial, I think you also need to think about risk management. And honestly his risk management boiled down to "stfu I do what I want". Well, that's fine, but just don't expect that to be fine forever.

And yes, it IS indeed more professional to NOT be like that. Entertainers, athletes, politicians, anyone in the public eye is held to similar standards.


Because the cult of personality is a strong thing for some people. They don't understand why many people in the community think that his actions can be extremely damaging and that's why we contacted the team/sponsors.

I hate Destiny as a player and comedian, but nevertheless this was a massive abuse of community influence, and IMO what he said wasn't a big deal.

Saying nigger and gook and all sorts of racist shit is actually a big deal and you will get into shit if you say it in any other aspect of public life, so why should a public stream by an esports personality viewed by thousands of people be any different?

It shouldn't be a big deal anywhere, unless you're some sort of publicly funded position.

Yes, because casual racism is totally cool unless you're a politician! Moron.

Whether it's cool or otherwise, it's not worth getting fired over IMO, especially if it was part of an angry outburst or obvious comedy (this was both).

That's cool, tell that to the athletes and professionals that get reprimanded for shouting "niggers" every time they lose or get mad.

I don't think it's acceptable to fire those people. I'm not sure where you got the idea that I think so.
bonifaceviii
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada2890 Posts
May 04 2012 17:05 GMT
#1584
Wait a minute, Destiny only called the guy a gook because he was mad?

Stop the presses, that changes everything!!
Stay a while and listen || http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=354018
skrzmark
Profile Joined November 2010
United States1528 Posts
May 04 2012 17:05 GMT
#1585
On May 05 2012 01:58 Incognoto wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 05 2012 01:43 skrzmark wrote:
Just close the thread with this video.

This perfectly sums up the situation.



I laughed pretty hard. Damn funny shit. People should lighten up.


I'm Glad yeah just lighten up. Were only human.
We got them GOM TvT's and them mlGG's
tMomiji
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States1115 Posts
May 04 2012 17:06 GMT
#1586
Honestly...I don't see what's wrong with people saying what they want on their own streams. I may not agree with it, but their stream is their own stream - it's not in a professional environment. Now people who act unprofessionally during TOURNAMENTS (Idra swearing at Mana during IPL3 and Naniwa's infamous probe rush immediately come to mind)...that's bad and they're the ones who should be punished. What people do on their own streams is their business. I feel like this is Orb all over again. Why are so many people out to get players who do what they want on the privacy (ha!) of their own streams? It's not like you're forced to watch their stream. A player's stream is like his home - you are a guest there. Who are you to come barging in telling him what to say and how to act? It's HIS stream, not YOURS. So some guys are jerks on their streams - what's the big deal?? As long as they're professional in public, who cares?! What they do on their own time is none of anyone's business...well, that's my two cents anyway.
"I wonder if there is a league below copper? If so, I would like to inhabit it." -TotalBiscuit "In the event of a sudden change in cabin pressure, ROOF FLIES OFF!" -George Carlin <3 HerO <3 Kiwikaki <3 MKP
barcacl2006
Profile Joined November 2011
United Kingdom25 Posts
May 04 2012 17:06 GMT
#1587
Well I for one cannot wait for his next interview with HotBid :D
Shiori
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
3815 Posts
May 04 2012 17:07 GMT
#1588
On May 05 2012 02:05 bonifaceviii wrote:
Wait a minute, Destiny only called the guy a gook because he was mad?

Stop the presses, that changes everything!!

I don't see why it wouldn't change everything. Do you take people's words the same way regardless of emotional context? Sounds like you're in for a surprise next time your wife tells you 'we need to talk.'
partisan
Profile Joined January 2011
United States783 Posts
May 04 2012 17:08 GMT
#1589
On May 05 2012 02:05 Shiori wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 05 2012 02:04 adrenaLinG wrote:
On May 05 2012 02:02 Shiori wrote:
On May 05 2012 02:01 adrenaLinG wrote:
On May 05 2012 02:00 Shiori wrote:
On May 05 2012 01:59 adrenaLinG wrote:
On May 05 2012 01:56 Shiori wrote:
On May 05 2012 01:48 partisan wrote:
On May 05 2012 01:45 GloPikkle wrote:
I don't really understand why people are defending Destiny given that his attitude over most of his controversial stuff has been "I do what I want". I don't think he ever didn't understand what the consequences might be, he just said that he didn't care. He doesn't really have anyone to blame but himself. Sensitive people will be sensitive, and some people will go further than others to rectify their perceived wrongs.

I think 95% of his BM is pretty funny, but if you're going to try to be edgier and more controversial, I think you also need to think about risk management. And honestly his risk management boiled down to "stfu I do what I want". Well, that's fine, but just don't expect that to be fine forever.

And yes, it IS indeed more professional to NOT be like that. Entertainers, athletes, politicians, anyone in the public eye is held to similar standards.


Because the cult of personality is a strong thing for some people. They don't understand why many people in the community think that his actions can be extremely damaging and that's why we contacted the team/sponsors.

I hate Destiny as a player and comedian, but nevertheless this was a massive abuse of community influence, and IMO what he said wasn't a big deal.

Saying nigger and gook and all sorts of racist shit is actually a big deal and you will get into shit if you say it in any other aspect of public life, so why should a public stream by an esports personality viewed by thousands of people be any different?

It shouldn't be a big deal anywhere, unless you're some sort of publicly funded position.

Yes, because casual racism is totally cool unless you're a politician! Moron.

Whether it's cool or otherwise, it's not worth getting fired over IMO, especially if it was part of an angry outburst or obvious comedy (this was both).

That's cool, tell that to the athletes and professionals that get reprimanded for shouting "niggers" every time they lose or get mad.

I don't think it's acceptable to fire those people. I'm not sure where you got the idea that I think so.


Society punishes people who used racial slurs towards people in a public arena, that doesn't always mean getting fired, although it often does.

There are tons of examples just over the last few years.
adrenaLinG
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada676 Posts
May 04 2012 17:08 GMT
#1590
On May 05 2012 02:06 OmiDeLta wrote:
Honestly...I don't see what's wrong with people saying what they want on their own streams. I may not agree with it, but their stream is their own stream - it's not in a professional environment. Now people who act unprofessionally during TOURNAMENTS (Idra swearing at Mana during IPL3 and Naniwa's infamous probe rush immediately come to mind)...that's bad and they're the ones who should be punished. What people do on their own streams is their business. I feel like this is Orb all over again. Why are so many people out to get players who do what they want on the privacy (ha!) of their own streams? It's not like you're forced to watch their stream. A player's stream is like his home - you are a guest there. Who are you to come barging in telling him what to say and how to act? It's HIS stream, not YOURS. So some guys are jerks on their streams - what's the big deal?? As long as they're professional in public, who cares?! What they do on their own time is none of anyone's business...well, that's my two cents anyway.

A player's stream is not their home, it is public, viewed by thousands of people, and attracts as many people as television from time to time. There is already case law on this and you have no privacy protections for streaming and content you share over the internet is not considered a part of your private physical home.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Zaqwert
Profile Joined June 2008
United States411 Posts
May 04 2012 17:08 GMT
#1591
I'm gonna have Destiny's stream on 24/7 to try to support him.

So many jealous haters or self righteous pharisees out there.
HolyExlxF
Profile Joined March 2011
United States256 Posts
May 04 2012 17:08 GMT
#1592
I have a two opinions regarding these situations (orb and now Destiny):

1. I think it's great that the community is now big enough that prospective players/teams have to be careful with what they say. Becoming PC sucks, and I hate avoiding language simply because someone could be "offended" by the word I use, regardless of MY connotation, but I think it speaks to the growth of the community that this is now a concern.

2. I hate that the community has found this new power and is using it to intentionally destroy people. You don't only email the team manager, you don't send well-thought out letters to the player asking him to consider his actions a little more carefully, you don't make civil, but still poignant, threads about community actions. NO. You make hate threads. You dig for ANY past evidence, unconcerned with age of the event. You lambast and slander and send emails and tweets and letters of vitriol to sponsors until the ONLY option is to bury these figures. And you do these things because you think these people should suffer and because you can make them suffer. You're not fucking arbiters who both merit and execute the law.

Stop this shit, or this community will implode and you can be sure future eSports endeavors will never see the sponsorship dollars.
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Probasaur
Profile Joined August 2011
United States461 Posts
May 04 2012 17:09 GMT
#1593
Just because you're offended by something that anyone says.... that doesn't make it offensive. If your world is one in which you are offended by a word, any string of words, then that is YOUR PROBLEM.

This whole mentality of people taking something that is their problem and pushing it onto the majority is everything that is wrong with this world. People think they're entitled to live in this pitch perfect fantasy paradise utopia where everything around them is clean and perfect. And when I started typing this I hadn't already made the connection but now as I do its pretty clear who else in history wanted to live in a pure clean and perfect society no matter who he took down on the way to get there.

It really is all the same thing. When we say how dangerous this "lynch mob" mentality is I'm not sure everyone understands how dangerously similar to the actual metaphor it is. Like I said before when you feel as tho you have the right to dictate what lives and what dies in this community how is that any different from an old KKK meeting where they decided to burn a church because they thought the blacks were hurting the community.
"He who makes a beast of himself.... gets rid of the pain of being a man" -Hunter S Thompson.
adrenaLinG
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada676 Posts
May 04 2012 17:10 GMT
#1594
On May 05 2012 02:05 Shiori wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 05 2012 02:04 adrenaLinG wrote:
On May 05 2012 02:02 Shiori wrote:
On May 05 2012 02:01 adrenaLinG wrote:
On May 05 2012 02:00 Shiori wrote:
On May 05 2012 01:59 adrenaLinG wrote:
On May 05 2012 01:56 Shiori wrote:
On May 05 2012 01:48 partisan wrote:
On May 05 2012 01:45 GloPikkle wrote:
I don't really understand why people are defending Destiny given that his attitude over most of his controversial stuff has been "I do what I want". I don't think he ever didn't understand what the consequences might be, he just said that he didn't care. He doesn't really have anyone to blame but himself. Sensitive people will be sensitive, and some people will go further than others to rectify their perceived wrongs.

I think 95% of his BM is pretty funny, but if you're going to try to be edgier and more controversial, I think you also need to think about risk management. And honestly his risk management boiled down to "stfu I do what I want". Well, that's fine, but just don't expect that to be fine forever.

And yes, it IS indeed more professional to NOT be like that. Entertainers, athletes, politicians, anyone in the public eye is held to similar standards.


Because the cult of personality is a strong thing for some people. They don't understand why many people in the community think that his actions can be extremely damaging and that's why we contacted the team/sponsors.

I hate Destiny as a player and comedian, but nevertheless this was a massive abuse of community influence, and IMO what he said wasn't a big deal.

Saying nigger and gook and all sorts of racist shit is actually a big deal and you will get into shit if you say it in any other aspect of public life, so why should a public stream by an esports personality viewed by thousands of people be any different?

It shouldn't be a big deal anywhere, unless you're some sort of publicly funded position.

Yes, because casual racism is totally cool unless you're a politician! Moron.

Whether it's cool or otherwise, it's not worth getting fired over IMO, especially if it was part of an angry outburst or obvious comedy (this was both).

That's cool, tell that to the athletes and professionals that get reprimanded for shouting "niggers" every time they lose or get mad.

I don't think it's acceptable to fire those people. I'm not sure where you got the idea that I think so.

Yeah, because this is what separates the good companies from the bad companies. If you want to work somewhere where people call each others niggers and faggots, and owned and ran by 99% white males, go right on ahead.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Shiori
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
3815 Posts
May 04 2012 17:10 GMT
#1595
On May 05 2012 02:08 partisan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 05 2012 02:05 Shiori wrote:
On May 05 2012 02:04 adrenaLinG wrote:
On May 05 2012 02:02 Shiori wrote:
On May 05 2012 02:01 adrenaLinG wrote:
On May 05 2012 02:00 Shiori wrote:
On May 05 2012 01:59 adrenaLinG wrote:
On May 05 2012 01:56 Shiori wrote:
On May 05 2012 01:48 partisan wrote:
On May 05 2012 01:45 GloPikkle wrote:
I don't really understand why people are defending Destiny given that his attitude over most of his controversial stuff has been "I do what I want". I don't think he ever didn't understand what the consequences might be, he just said that he didn't care. He doesn't really have anyone to blame but himself. Sensitive people will be sensitive, and some people will go further than others to rectify their perceived wrongs.

I think 95% of his BM is pretty funny, but if you're going to try to be edgier and more controversial, I think you also need to think about risk management. And honestly his risk management boiled down to "stfu I do what I want". Well, that's fine, but just don't expect that to be fine forever.

And yes, it IS indeed more professional to NOT be like that. Entertainers, athletes, politicians, anyone in the public eye is held to similar standards.


Because the cult of personality is a strong thing for some people. They don't understand why many people in the community think that his actions can be extremely damaging and that's why we contacted the team/sponsors.

I hate Destiny as a player and comedian, but nevertheless this was a massive abuse of community influence, and IMO what he said wasn't a big deal.

Saying nigger and gook and all sorts of racist shit is actually a big deal and you will get into shit if you say it in any other aspect of public life, so why should a public stream by an esports personality viewed by thousands of people be any different?

It shouldn't be a big deal anywhere, unless you're some sort of publicly funded position.

Yes, because casual racism is totally cool unless you're a politician! Moron.

Whether it's cool or otherwise, it's not worth getting fired over IMO, especially if it was part of an angry outburst or obvious comedy (this was both).

That's cool, tell that to the athletes and professionals that get reprimanded for shouting "niggers" every time they lose or get mad.

I don't think it's acceptable to fire those people. I'm not sure where you got the idea that I think so.


Society punishes people who used racial slurs towards people in a public arena, that doesn't always mean getting fired, although it often does.

There are tons of examples just over the last few years.

Yes...and I'm saying I disagree with that, too, unless it happens on the job or when the speaker is officially acting in some capacity as the voice of the company. Athletes calling each other 'niggers' on the field is obviously problematic given its televised to an international audience. But if some paparazzo catches them saying 'nigger' on their home practice court? Don't care at all. Hell, Destiny's stream even had a content advisory warning at the bottom.
Crushinator
Profile Joined August 2011
Netherlands2138 Posts
May 04 2012 17:10 GMT
#1596
On May 05 2012 01:56 Shiori wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 05 2012 01:48 partisan wrote:
On May 05 2012 01:45 GloPikkle wrote:
I don't really understand why people are defending Destiny given that his attitude over most of his controversial stuff has been "I do what I want". I don't think he ever didn't understand what the consequences might be, he just said that he didn't care. He doesn't really have anyone to blame but himself. Sensitive people will be sensitive, and some people will go further than others to rectify their perceived wrongs.

I think 95% of his BM is pretty funny, but if you're going to try to be edgier and more controversial, I think you also need to think about risk management. And honestly his risk management boiled down to "stfu I do what I want". Well, that's fine, but just don't expect that to be fine forever.

And yes, it IS indeed more professional to NOT be like that. Entertainers, athletes, politicians, anyone in the public eye is held to similar standards.


Because the cult of personality is a strong thing for some people. They don't understand why many people in the community think that his actions can be extremely damaging and that's why we contacted the team/sponsors.

I hate Destiny as a player and comedian, but nevertheless this was a massive abuse of community influence, and IMO what he said wasn't a big deal.


I'm glad Destiny didn't get a pass. I don't care much about professionalism, I wish there was less of it, honestly. But attacking someone on their race should always be a big deal. I do not like that the community damaged Quantic by this incident, but I do not feel Destiny is a victim in this. That is not to say I will now forever brand Destiny an evil racist in my mind, people say stupid shit when angry. I wish him good luck in the rest of his career, and hope he will refrain from attacking people based on their race.
Shiori
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
3815 Posts
May 04 2012 17:10 GMT
#1597
On May 05 2012 02:10 adrenaLinG wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 05 2012 02:05 Shiori wrote:
On May 05 2012 02:04 adrenaLinG wrote:
On May 05 2012 02:02 Shiori wrote:
On May 05 2012 02:01 adrenaLinG wrote:
On May 05 2012 02:00 Shiori wrote:
On May 05 2012 01:59 adrenaLinG wrote:
On May 05 2012 01:56 Shiori wrote:
On May 05 2012 01:48 partisan wrote:
On May 05 2012 01:45 GloPikkle wrote:
I don't really understand why people are defending Destiny given that his attitude over most of his controversial stuff has been "I do what I want". I don't think he ever didn't understand what the consequences might be, he just said that he didn't care. He doesn't really have anyone to blame but himself. Sensitive people will be sensitive, and some people will go further than others to rectify their perceived wrongs.

I think 95% of his BM is pretty funny, but if you're going to try to be edgier and more controversial, I think you also need to think about risk management. And honestly his risk management boiled down to "stfu I do what I want". Well, that's fine, but just don't expect that to be fine forever.

And yes, it IS indeed more professional to NOT be like that. Entertainers, athletes, politicians, anyone in the public eye is held to similar standards.


Because the cult of personality is a strong thing for some people. They don't understand why many people in the community think that his actions can be extremely damaging and that's why we contacted the team/sponsors.

I hate Destiny as a player and comedian, but nevertheless this was a massive abuse of community influence, and IMO what he said wasn't a big deal.

Saying nigger and gook and all sorts of racist shit is actually a big deal and you will get into shit if you say it in any other aspect of public life, so why should a public stream by an esports personality viewed by thousands of people be any different?

It shouldn't be a big deal anywhere, unless you're some sort of publicly funded position.

Yes, because casual racism is totally cool unless you're a politician! Moron.

Whether it's cool or otherwise, it's not worth getting fired over IMO, especially if it was part of an angry outburst or obvious comedy (this was both).

That's cool, tell that to the athletes and professionals that get reprimanded for shouting "niggers" every time they lose or get mad.

I don't think it's acceptable to fire those people. I'm not sure where you got the idea that I think so.

Yeah, because this is what separates the good companies from the bad companies. If you want to work somewhere where people call each others niggers and faggots, and owned and ran by 99% white males, go right on ahead.

Woosh go the goal posts.
tMomiji
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States1115 Posts
May 04 2012 17:12 GMT
#1598
On May 05 2012 02:08 adrenaLinG wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 05 2012 02:06 OmiDeLta wrote:
Honestly...I don't see what's wrong with people saying what they want on their own streams. I may not agree with it, but their stream is their own stream - it's not in a professional environment. Now people who act unprofessionally during TOURNAMENTS (Idra swearing at Mana during IPL3 and Naniwa's infamous probe rush immediately come to mind)...that's bad and they're the ones who should be punished. What people do on their own streams is their business. I feel like this is Orb all over again. Why are so many people out to get players who do what they want on the privacy (ha!) of their own streams? It's not like you're forced to watch their stream. A player's stream is like his home - you are a guest there. Who are you to come barging in telling him what to say and how to act? It's HIS stream, not YOURS. So some guys are jerks on their streams - what's the big deal?? As long as they're professional in public, who cares?! What they do on their own time is none of anyone's business...well, that's my two cents anyway.

A player's stream is not their home, it is public, viewed by thousands of people, and attracts as many people as television from time to time. There is already case law on this and you have no privacy protections for streaming and content you share over the internet is not considered a part of your private physical home.


That was supposed to be a metaphor. ...Similie technically, since I used "like". The point is, nobody is forced to watch it, so why is everyone getting so hot and bothered?
"I wonder if there is a league below copper? If so, I would like to inhabit it." -TotalBiscuit "In the event of a sudden change in cabin pressure, ROOF FLIES OFF!" -George Carlin <3 HerO <3 Kiwikaki <3 MKP
partisan
Profile Joined January 2011
United States783 Posts
May 04 2012 17:13 GMT
#1599
On May 05 2012 02:08 HolyExlxF wrote:
I have a two opinions regarding these situations (orb and now Destiny):

1. I think it's great that the community is now big enough that prospective players/teams have to be careful with what they say. Becoming PC sucks, and I hate avoiding language simply because someone could be "offended" by the word I use, regardless of MY connotation, but I think it speaks to the growth of the community that this is now a concern.

2. I hate that the community has found this new power and is using it to intentionally destroy people. You don't only email the team manager, you don't send well-thought out letters to the player asking him to consider his actions a little more carefully, you don't make civil, but still poignant, threads about community actions. NO. You make hate threads. You dig for ANY past evidence, unconcerned with age of the event. You lambast and slander and send emails and tweets and letters of vitriol to sponsors until the ONLY option is to bury these figures. And you do these things because you think these people should suffer and because you can make them suffer. You're not fucking arbiters who both merit and execute the law.

Stop this shit, or this community will implode and you can be sure future eSports endeavors will never see the sponsorship dollars.



Quit being so naive, you think the sponsor will never find out about this kind of behavior as long as nobody makes a thread on TL about it? You seriously think it will be better for someone outside the community to approach a sponsor about this? The idea that this is hurting the community is hilarious.

All it takes it one really well publicized incident of a player being a racist/bigot/etc to get the entire community labeled. The only way we stop that is to put pressure on teams or players to stop that from happening.
adrenaLinG
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada676 Posts
May 04 2012 17:13 GMT
#1600
On May 05 2012 02:12 OmiDeLta wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 05 2012 02:08 adrenaLinG wrote:
On May 05 2012 02:06 OmiDeLta wrote:
Honestly...I don't see what's wrong with people saying what they want on their own streams. I may not agree with it, but their stream is their own stream - it's not in a professional environment. Now people who act unprofessionally during TOURNAMENTS (Idra swearing at Mana during IPL3 and Naniwa's infamous probe rush immediately come to mind)...that's bad and they're the ones who should be punished. What people do on their own streams is their business. I feel like this is Orb all over again. Why are so many people out to get players who do what they want on the privacy (ha!) of their own streams? It's not like you're forced to watch their stream. A player's stream is like his home - you are a guest there. Who are you to come barging in telling him what to say and how to act? It's HIS stream, not YOURS. So some guys are jerks on their streams - what's the big deal?? As long as they're professional in public, who cares?! What they do on their own time is none of anyone's business...well, that's my two cents anyway.

A player's stream is not their home, it is public, viewed by thousands of people, and attracts as many people as television from time to time. There is already case law on this and you have no privacy protections for streaming and content you share over the internet is not considered a part of your private physical home.


That was supposed to be a metaphor. ...Similie technically, since I used "like". The point is, nobody is forced to watch it, so why is everyone getting so hot and bothered?

Yeah and nobody forces you to watch professional sports either, so why does everyone in society get bothered when athletes start saying racist things?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Prev 1 78 79 80 81 82 147 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
herO vs ClassicLIVE!
ByuN vs Shameless
CranKy Ducklings147
SHIN 73
CranKy Ducklings SOOP52
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 304
OGKoka 270
ByuN 268
SHIN 73
MindelVK 18
Railgan 6
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 68248
Calm 10798
Rain 2666
soO 981
Bisu 837
FanTaSy 788
BeSt 621
Stork 401
Soulkey 295
Rush 291
[ Show more ]
Soma 229
firebathero 203
Last 140
Snow 134
Mind 100
Light 80
Pusan 77
ToSsGirL 65
Shinee 47
hero 45
Trap 38
Free 37
Killer 31
Mong 29
Bale 29
Sexy 29
Sea.KH 29
Hm[arnc] 28
Sharp 24
zelot 22
yabsab 16
HiyA 15
sorry 15
Shine 14
Noble 11
Sacsri 10
scan(afreeca) 10
IntoTheRainbow 8
Shuttle 1
Dota 2
Gorgc6784
League of Legends
Reynor102
Counter-Strike
x6flipin938
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King85
Other Games
gofns31300
singsing2218
byalli628
Pyrionflax241
B2W.Neo117
Chillindude9
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV231
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 112
• Gemini_19 7
• Dystopia_ 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV537
League of Legends
• Jankos3595
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
3h 34m
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 34m
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 34m
OSC
11h 34m
OSC
1d
WardiTV Weekly
1d 23h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.