• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:31
CEST 22:31
KST 05:31
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11513 users

Why are English casts so "newb" in comparison? - Page 3

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
kaisr
Profile Joined October 2007
Canada715 Posts
January 26 2012 01:38 GMT
#41
On January 26 2012 10:34 Rucho wrote:
I don't like it when people say "the BW casters are much more passionate" or whatever.

Just because they yell louder and more excitedly, it's not to say they are more passionate. It honestly seems a big forced when they go GEEEE GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE all at the same time. It's kind of like latino football casters shouting GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAL

I think it's mostly a tradition of sorts. Anyhow, I cannot comment of the quality of the informativeness of the korean commentators' casting. What I hear when i listen to BW casting is one of the commentators talking at length in the early game, while the other commentator responds "ne" again and again. Who knows, maybe some serious high level discussion is at hand. I don't know. What I do know however, is that there is definitely room for improvement from ALL English casters, even Tastosis.

I love their jokes, it's a big reason for why I watch GomTv. However it's also bothersome when they don't seem to be paying attention and miss details or the build order entirely. To get a glimpse of how could their casting can be, try watching them cast a PVP or another P matchup. Artosis sometimes doles out some knowledge of cutting edge PVP, and it's great to hear, even though I'm not a Protoss


There's a few transcribed and translated korean BW Vods floating around somewhere on teamliquid. They are leagues more informative/analytical than english BW casts. But thats BW, I have no idea how different it is in sc2.
Eknoid4
Profile Joined October 2010
United States902 Posts
January 26 2012 01:39 GMT
#42
On January 26 2012 10:36 shizna wrote:
there is a lot of chaff around.... i haven't watched gsl for about 6 months, got tired of opening up a vod and discovering that it wasn't tastosis.

it's become suprisingly evident that to keep my focus on a stream, an entertaining commentary is equally important to the quality of games. not necessarily analytical or faff, just entertaining with a spot of improvisation.

there's nothing less entertaining than a caster that has a vocabulary consisting of 3 words plus the SC2 terminology handbook, who sweats awkwardly when asked to 'fill' a 30 second pause... FFS wing it... do something funny... don't just go "lets look at the liquipedia page to see the brackets... oh look he's done very well he's top of his group!"... that's not my idea of entertainment.

incontrol, apollo, totalbiscuit, day9 and tastosis are pure entertainment...

Considering 99% of vods with day9 in them are purely instructional, educational, and aimed toward spreading/improving E-sports (in particular, SC2), i really think it's bullshit to say that he is pure entertainment. Unless you mean his soul is of the essence of pure entertainment, in which case, i will allow it.
If you're mad that someone else is brazenly trumpeting their beliefs with ignorance, perhaps you should be mad that you are doing it too.
SgtCoDFish
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United Kingdom1520 Posts
January 26 2012 01:40 GMT
#43
I enjoyed Khaldor in German, but haven't really had any experience of German casts outside of him. I don't speak any other languages to compare them to English.

I don't feel the "hype" that the Korean casters are meant to bring. I just listen to what they're saying and pick up patterns and shit like that (for the longest time, I just kept focusing on the 애 sound that's so common and wondering if there was a pattern to it. I know now, but it hasn't improved my enjoyment of the casts ).

I dunno if other people have the same sort of problem, but I can't enjoy shit I don't understand. I want to know what it means too much
Tiazi
Profile Joined February 2010
Netherlands761 Posts
January 26 2012 01:40 GMT
#44
On January 26 2012 10:08 piplup wrote:
It's because everyone's trying to copy/one up tastosis


Couldn't disagree more.

"A brilliant yet deluded man once said, 'Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos.' Gumiho is that agent of chaos." -monk
Netsky
Profile Joined October 2010
Australia1155 Posts
January 26 2012 01:40 GMT
#45
Unfortunately I'm not fluent in another language so I can't compare the English casts.

The English speaking community seems to focus (generalisation of course) on the "entertainment" aspect of SC2, rather than the actual game, so to them it doesn't really matter if the commentators understand what is going on in the game or even they even talk about it.

Nearly every commentator would need to be replaced if we wanted to go down the analysis route rather than "play-by-play" and filler.
Oktyabr
Profile Joined July 2011
Singapore2234 Posts
January 26 2012 01:41 GMT
#46
On January 26 2012 10:21 willoc wrote:
Question: Are the Chinese and Russian casts live like the English ones?


The Chinese stream from Neotv were casted live during the GSL seasons last year .
ghostCatalyst
Profile Joined June 2011
Philippines39 Posts
January 26 2012 01:42 GMT
#47
If I could understand what Korean commentators are saying, I would totally love to hear from them more than the English commentators. But I love Tastosis, Day9 and all the others as personalities, so it's hard to say that they are bad per se, but I really wish they would give more in-depth analysis, especially at how knowledgeable they are of the game.
Aggressive zerg play tickles my fancy!
ptrpb
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada753 Posts
January 26 2012 01:42 GMT
#48
I love Korean casting but I think it has to do with the flow of the Korean language. English really is such a choppy language where word sounds clash and mix terribly.
They do yell a lot more. All that PASSION.
MBAACC | SG | shit at fighting games
Fiendish
Profile Joined April 2010
United States210 Posts
January 26 2012 01:42 GMT
#49
my opinion of your experience depends on how good you are at the game. what is your league?
Cereb
Profile Joined November 2011
Denmark3388 Posts
January 26 2012 01:43 GMT
#50
To me, entertainment is most important aspect as I rarely learn anything from casts anyway.

If I really want game analysis I guess I'd watch day9 daily or some pro coaching or just analyse my own games
"Until the very very top in almost anything, all that matters is how much work you put in. The only problem is most people can't work hard even at things they do enjoy, much less things they don't have a real passion for. -Greg "IdrA" Fields
mrtomjones
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada4020 Posts
January 26 2012 01:44 GMT
#51
Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Tastosis are amazing and they drop the knowledge bombs when they need to. In fact they drop quite a lot of knowledge on you if you pay attention. They just joke during the slow parts and thats the way it should be. Some of the other casters don't necessarily have the same level of knowledge as them and you will get less knowledge but they do still maintain a decent balance.

taitanik
Profile Joined December 2011
Latvia231 Posts
January 26 2012 01:45 GMT
#52
when i heard koreans casting even though i dont understand a single word i almost never watch english casts anymore (i just mute gsl and stuff)
"the game is over only when you make it over"
mrtomjones
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada4020 Posts
January 26 2012 01:45 GMT
#53
On January 26 2012 10:42 ptrpb wrote:
I love Korean casting but I think it has to do with the flow of the Korean language. English really is such a choppy language where word sounds clash and mix terribly.
They do yell a lot more. All that PASSION.

Moletrap used to yell a lot too. Then everyone yelled at him to stop
stk01001
Profile Joined September 2007
United States786 Posts
January 26 2012 01:46 GMT
#54
I used to love watching korean broodwar casts with english subtitles when i could find them.... the korean bw commentators really were pretty awesome..
a.k.a reLapSe ---
andeh
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States904 Posts
January 26 2012 01:48 GMT
#55
I've always enjoyed the Korean casters more, they seem more exciting. Kennegit linked a video to some OGN LoL game and the Korean casters made the hero picking exciting. OGN factor, go figure.

Reading the translated stuff from bw of Korean casters, they seem to talk about more of what he could be doing, and why they think so. I wish english casters did more of that. But there's a lot of stigma that goes along with being an english casters that they bring upon themselves, minus a few. Artosis for example, is one that avoids that, mad props to him ^^
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46484 Posts
January 26 2012 01:48 GMT
#56
I would definitely prefer more in-depth analysis (some of my favorite casters are Artosis- not necessarily when he jokes around with Tasteless, Day[9], and orb), but I'll take what I can get in English just because I'd like to at least understand the casters.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
Eknoid4
Profile Joined October 2010
United States902 Posts
January 26 2012 01:53 GMT
#57
Nobody is reading the OP. This is centered around the GSL English cast being worse than other languages.
If you're mad that someone else is brazenly trumpeting their beliefs with ignorance, perhaps you should be mad that you are doing it too.
Sinensis
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States2513 Posts
January 26 2012 01:54 GMT
#58
I don't speak Korean but watching any Korean commentary makes me wish I did.
StRyKeR
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
United States1756 Posts
January 26 2012 01:55 GMT
#59
I noticed this in BW. Korean commentators would spend 75% of time on in-depth analysis of the game, less than 10% on what's happening on the screen, and the rest on jokes / related builds / events / backstory. Was always amazed by how much the commentators knew.
Ars longa, vita brevis, principia aeturna.
paintfive
Profile Joined September 2011
785 Posts
January 26 2012 01:57 GMT
#60
What's worse from the fact that only about 2-3 casters actually know how to play the game well, is that 99% of them don't know how to control the camera. I mute streams these days, but god how I wish they could just move around the map without missing things.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O80
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason159
BRAT_OK 52
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 16174
Artosis 955
ZZZero.O 80
Hyun 37
NaDa 25
Bale 23
League of Legends
Doublelift3120
JimRising 340
Counter-Strike
Fnx 740
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5909
Liquid`Hasu916
Other Games
summit1g7347
FrodaN2735
B2W.Neo776
ToD239
KnowMe160
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1486
BasetradeTV273
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream50
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 48
• Hupsaiya 33
• Adnapsc2 28
• Reevou 7
• musti20045 3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki25
• FirePhoenix6
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie917
• Shiphtur224
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
2h 29m
Afreeca Starleague
13h 29m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
14h 29m
Monday Night Weeklies
19h 29m
Replay Cast
1d 2h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 13h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 14h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.