• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:20
CEST 01:20
KST 08:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6298 users

[D] Pro Scene Evolution - Page 324

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 322 323 324 325 326 328 Next
League of Legends Events browser add-ons
Firefox Chrome
Slusher
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States19143 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-12-25 17:55:00
December 25 2014 17:52 GMT
#6461
well main reason your average reddit fan thinks Save is OBVIOUSLY (/s) better than Loopercorn is Monte Cristo. so unfortunately in this situation it's not as simple as it being a casual fan.

and this goes back to the thing I don't like about Monte, I actually really like and respect Monte but because of the way riot chokes out the airwaves of the majority of non-fluff content leaving a Vaccum where whatever Monte says is true, by default.

wildly controversial opinion/speculation incoming

Shiphtur being "one of the best mids in NA" is actually just a biproduct of Monte being annoyed with fans for thinking Zion Spartan was a potential best top laner NA. I think it's important that I insert a caviat here that I too was once a Zion bobo who thought the sky was the limit, in reality it seems like he a decent won't lose you a western LCS game and once in a blue moon will hard carry it top.

I'm sure you've been in solo q where a guy loses lane and he just constantly praises the other teams jungle in all chat to transfer any perceived glory off of his opponent. Monte simply applied the same tactics to try to get people to shut the fuck up about Zion. Shiphtur is not a bad player by any means but he never has shown anything in the pro scene worthy of the praise that Monte and CLG dumped on him by the truckload that split, I mean, at least he got a contract out of it!

mabye I'm just crazy.
+ Show Spoiler +
just wanted to add because every time I bring this up it seems to get confused. I really like Monte, I just don't like that there is nobody who could, in front of the public, disagree with him and be taken seriously. More Riot's fault than his own.
Carrilord has arrived.
wei2coolman
Profile Joined November 2010
United States60033 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-12-25 18:19:54
December 25 2014 18:18 GMT
#6462
Well where would you rank Shiphtur in NA LCS last split? cuz he's probably top 3, maybe top 2. Which is in your words "one of the best mids in NA", completely fits.

he's better than hai.
he's probably around xwx (maybe a little below)
not as good as bjergsen
better than voyboy
better than link
hard to measure vs godbelter (probably around equal, pobelter has more throw/carry potential, but hard to tell with innox in toplane)
better than prolly
That puts him top 2, top 3 status.
liftlift > tsm
oo_Wonderful_oo
Profile Blog Joined December 2013
The land of freedom23126 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-12-25 19:16:06
December 25 2014 19:12 GMT
#6463
On December 26 2014 03:18 wei2coolman wrote:
Well where would you rank Shiphtur in NA LCS last split? cuz he's probably top 3, maybe top 2. Which is in your words "one of the best mids in NA", completely fits.

he's better than hai.
he's probably around xwx (maybe a little below)
not as good as bjergsen
better than voyboy
better than link
hard to measure vs godbelter (probably around equal, pobelter has more throw/carry potential, but hard to tell with innox in toplane)
better than prolly
That puts him top 2, top 3 status.


Shiphtur better than Link last split? Pobelter was better, Link was better, i will even throw it here and say that Hai was better because Hai's impact was way bigger than Shiphtur by miles. Gosh, even Voyboy was better if we talk whole season.

Anyway, this season is going to be decider for Shiphtur.
If Dignitas falls again and he plays like he did last year - with absolute focus on himself, then he's done.

Right now, without knowing what can be patched in a month it's probably something like:

Bjergsen
Pobelter, XWX
Hai
Link, Keane, Shiphtur, Fenix
Slooshi, Jesiz.

Lol, Jesiz, i completely forgot that he exists again.

LiquidLegends StaffFPL 25 #1 | tfw I cast games on-air | back-to-back Liquibet winner
onlywonderboy
Profile Joined August 2012
United States23745 Posts
December 25 2014 19:14 GMT
#6464
He was a solid fantasy player though, so few deaths.
RIP Ryan Davis / TL or Die / @onlywonderboy
nobodywonder
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
United States848 Posts
December 25 2014 19:39 GMT
#6465
Well Zion and Shiphtur both were considered to be elo hell when they were on Coast. Basically they were considered good and hyped because they carried Nintendudex, Wiz and Daydreaming with split-push comps with Jax and Nidalee.

Those two champs fit them the best. Zion really likes dueling and split-pushing. Shiphtur with old Nidalee gets to keep that KDA dream alive and land spears.

I feel Shiphtur is a middle of the pack mid laner. He has good KDA, but I feel that he doesn't have the same impact as players like XWX, Bjerg and Hai. Voy got better, but retired to get that Pooksie.
i want nobody nobody but you! *clap* *clap*- wonder girls
Fusilero
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United Kingdom50293 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-12-25 20:01:49
December 25 2014 20:01 GMT
#6466
To be fair shiphtur had a strong IEM where he looked aggressive for the first time. I don't hold IEM in high regard when evaluating players but it was a very promising tournament for him at least (The rest of his team, less so)
Glorious SEA doto
Shiznick
Profile Joined December 2008
United States2200 Posts
December 25 2014 20:02 GMT
#6467
shiphtur is the rekkles of mid lane, but it's a role where you can't be super passive, depending on meta.
Slusher
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States19143 Posts
December 25 2014 20:14 GMT
#6468
Except he also usually loses in farm whilst being passive
Carrilord has arrived.
ExceliosBeyond
Profile Joined September 2012
208 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-12-26 00:02:17
December 26 2014 00:01 GMT
#6469
It's funny we were just talking about how people overrate lane phase in regard to Looper because I feel Shiphtur is sorta the same way. He gets a really bad reputation because he sucks at farming in lane, but I think Shiphtur's ability to conceptualize team fights is actually really high level. Even if the execution is not always there, I think he is a cut above when it comes to the team fight.

This game (and this fight) in particular always stood out to me because of how he uses chokes and zone control so effectively in combination with his summoners:



It's always hard for me to judge Shiphtur compared to guys like Pobelter, who are really dominant laners but do not always transition well to the team fighting phase.
AlterKot
Profile Blog Joined January 2014
Poland7525 Posts
December 26 2014 00:39 GMT
#6470
On December 26 2014 02:52 Slusher wrote:
Shiphtur being "one of the best mids in NA" is actually just a biproduct of Monte being annoyed with fans for thinking Zion Spartan was a potential best top laner NA. I think it's important that I insert a caviat here that I too was once a Zion bobo who thought the sky was the limit, in reality it seems like he a decent won't lose you a western LCS game and once in a blue moon will hard carry it top.

I'm sure you've been in solo q where a guy loses lane and he just constantly praises the other teams jungle in all chat to transfer any perceived glory off of his opponent. Monte simply applied the same tactics to try to get people to shut the fuck up about Zion. Shiphtur is not a bad player by any means but he never has shown anything in the pro scene worthy of the praise that Monte and CLG dumped on him by the truckload that split, I mean, at least he got a contract out of it!

Actually remember when Dexter was talking about possible reasons why Nuke/Zoro/Mithy preferred hyrqbot over him? His main theory was that Nuke had a false perception of how good Hyrqbot is because in scrims he would just camp mid 24/7. And before Coast vs CLG 5th place match all Monte was talking about was "Shiphtur so good he literally carries 1v5 I'm so scared of him" so it's possible that for whatever reason he really thought that Shiphtur was so good that he disregarded Zion and just threw him in with the rest of Coast trash.

On December 26 2014 02:52 Slusher wrote:
just wanted to add because every time I bring this up it seems to get confused. I really like Monte, I just don't like that there is nobody who could, in front of the public, disagree with him and be taken seriously. More Riot's fault than his own.

I imagine someone like Fionn or Thomas Watts could, but maybe I'm being optimistic.

Anyway I definitely don't think about Shiphtur as highly as I did during his time in Coast. My list would probably be similar to Wonderful's, except I expect Keane and Fenix to be Hai tier.
Americans don't like to use unblockables, it is considered not honest. You press a button at the wrong time and hit the other person, you are random, not a top player. You DP Sim's far fierce, it is random and not honest.
wei2coolman
Profile Joined November 2010
United States60033 Posts
December 26 2014 01:45 GMT
#6471
I think shiphturs poor farming has a lot to do with his jungle pairings. He hasn't really had someone he could trust when he lanes.
liftlift > tsm
Redox
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany24794 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-12-26 01:51:59
December 26 2014 01:46 GMT
#6472
On December 26 2014 02:52 Slusher wrote:
I'm sure you've been in solo q where a guy loses lane and he just constantly praises the other teams jungle in all chat to transfer any perceived glory off of his opponent. Monte simply applied the same tactics to try to get people to shut the fuck up about Zion. Shiphtur is not a bad player by any means but he never has shown anything in the pro scene worthy of the praise that Monte and CLG dumped on him by the truckload that split, I mean, at least he got a contract out of it!

mabye I'm just crazy.

just wanted to add because every time I bring this up it seems to get confused. I really like Monte, I just don't like that there is nobody who could, in front of the public, disagree with him and be taken seriously. More Riot's fault than his own

I dont care about this discussion about whos better than who, but I am really confused about this Monte point. I cant believe people think his opinion is that important. I for one never heard what he said about Shiphtur and if I did I would not care about it. He is a famous caster, but really nothing special when it comes to game knowledge. I would value a random players opinion over his any day.

Noone who disagrees with him would be taken serious? That is just ridiculous. Any player would be taken serious, and also casters like Jatt or Kobe.

Or did I misunderstand something here?
Off-season = best season
Gahlo
Profile Joined February 2010
United States35174 Posts
December 26 2014 02:19 GMT
#6473
On December 26 2014 10:45 wei2coolman wrote:
I think shiphturs poor farming has a lot to do with his jungle pairings. He hasn't really had someone he could trust when he lanes.

Going to leave a note here that the last month that Shiphtur and Nintendude were playing together, Shiphtur completely shut down and didn't communicate with him at all. Is nintendude Kakao or Dandy? No, but going silent treatment isn't going to make either of them look any better.
AlterKot
Profile Blog Joined January 2014
Poland7525 Posts
December 26 2014 02:20 GMT
#6474
Jatt shouldnt be taken serious though he's the perfect example of riot-approved fantasy.
Americans don't like to use unblockables, it is considered not honest. You press a button at the wrong time and hit the other person, you are random, not a top player. You DP Sim's far fierce, it is random and not honest.
Gahlo
Profile Joined February 2010
United States35174 Posts
December 26 2014 02:21 GMT
#6475
On December 26 2014 11:20 AlterKot wrote:
Jatt shouldnt be taken serious though he's the perfect example of riot-approved fantasy.

No, the Riot-approved fantasy is Quickshot being a good caster.
Slusher
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States19143 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-12-26 02:31:43
December 26 2014 02:31 GMT
#6476
the problem with Jatt is that Riot has put him front stage as a used car salesman of terrible players too many times. Like yea he could tell me X player is really good, but then I remember all the times Riot casters told me player Y (insert any former lcs player who didn't cut the mustard for Y) was really good too.
Carrilord has arrived.
wei2coolman
Profile Joined November 2010
United States60033 Posts
December 26 2014 02:46 GMT
#6477
On December 26 2014 11:19 Gahlo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 26 2014 10:45 wei2coolman wrote:
I think shiphturs poor farming has a lot to do with his jungle pairings. He hasn't really had someone he could trust when he lanes.

Going to leave a note here that the last month that Shiphtur and Nintendude were playing together, Shiphtur completely shut down and didn't communicate with him at all. Is nintendude Kakao or Dandy? No, but going silent treatment isn't going to make either of them look any better.

that was after a terrible season of playing out of his mind despite nintendude. I think towards relegation he was like "fuck it, i don't care any more".
liftlift > tsm
cLutZ
Profile Joined November 2010
United States19574 Posts
December 26 2014 03:11 GMT
#6478
On December 26 2014 10:46 Redox wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 26 2014 02:52 Slusher wrote:
I'm sure you've been in solo q where a guy loses lane and he just constantly praises the other teams jungle in all chat to transfer any perceived glory off of his opponent. Monte simply applied the same tactics to try to get people to shut the fuck up about Zion. Shiphtur is not a bad player by any means but he never has shown anything in the pro scene worthy of the praise that Monte and CLG dumped on him by the truckload that split, I mean, at least he got a contract out of it!

mabye I'm just crazy.

just wanted to add because every time I bring this up it seems to get confused. I really like Monte, I just don't like that there is nobody who could, in front of the public, disagree with him and be taken seriously. More Riot's fault than his own

I dont care about this discussion about whos better than who, but I am really confused about this Monte point. I cant believe people think his opinion is that important. I for one never heard what he said about Shiphtur and if I did I would not care about it. He is a famous caster, but really nothing special when it comes to game knowledge. I would value a random players opinion over his any day.

Noone who disagrees with him would be taken serious? That is just ridiculous. Any player would be taken serious, and also casters like Jatt or Kobe.

Or did I misunderstand something here?

Monte is disproportionately important because he is one of like 3 people not affiliated with a team (anymore, he still obviously is anti TSM) that will say a player is shit, or even that they played like shit.

What players say is always meaningless, and nearly everyone else in the scene is a cheerleader.
Freeeeeeedom
Redox
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany24794 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-12-26 13:13:58
December 26 2014 13:12 GMT
#6479
On December 26 2014 12:11 cLutZ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 26 2014 10:46 Redox wrote:
On December 26 2014 02:52 Slusher wrote:
I'm sure you've been in solo q where a guy loses lane and he just constantly praises the other teams jungle in all chat to transfer any perceived glory off of his opponent. Monte simply applied the same tactics to try to get people to shut the fuck up about Zion. Shiphtur is not a bad player by any means but he never has shown anything in the pro scene worthy of the praise that Monte and CLG dumped on him by the truckload that split, I mean, at least he got a contract out of it!

mabye I'm just crazy.

just wanted to add because every time I bring this up it seems to get confused. I really like Monte, I just don't like that there is nobody who could, in front of the public, disagree with him and be taken seriously. More Riot's fault than his own

I dont care about this discussion about whos better than who, but I am really confused about this Monte point. I cant believe people think his opinion is that important. I for one never heard what he said about Shiphtur and if I did I would not care about it. He is a famous caster, but really nothing special when it comes to game knowledge. I would value a random players opinion over his any day.

Noone who disagrees with him would be taken serious? That is just ridiculous. Any player would be taken serious, and also casters like Jatt or Kobe.

Or did I misunderstand something here?

Monte is disproportionately important because he is one of like 3 people not affiliated with a team (anymore, he still obviously is anti TSM) that will say a player is shit, or even that they played like shit.

What players say is always meaningless, and nearly everyone else in the scene is a cheerleader.

Dont get why a players opinion is meaningless. They might not be as good at expressing themselves but they are the ones that actually play with the player they talk about on a daily basis. I would always prefer their opinion over one of the professional talking heads.

Of course these kinds of discussions are always very distorted by extreme hyperbole anyway. As we see with the Shiphtur example here who goes from "best player NA" to "total shit" to "really good" again in some peoples opinion. I dont take it all that serious.
Off-season = best season
nafta
Profile Joined August 2010
Bulgaria18893 Posts
December 26 2014 13:19 GMT
#6480
On December 26 2014 22:12 Redox wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 26 2014 12:11 cLutZ wrote:
On December 26 2014 10:46 Redox wrote:
On December 26 2014 02:52 Slusher wrote:
I'm sure you've been in solo q where a guy loses lane and he just constantly praises the other teams jungle in all chat to transfer any perceived glory off of his opponent. Monte simply applied the same tactics to try to get people to shut the fuck up about Zion. Shiphtur is not a bad player by any means but he never has shown anything in the pro scene worthy of the praise that Monte and CLG dumped on him by the truckload that split, I mean, at least he got a contract out of it!

mabye I'm just crazy.

just wanted to add because every time I bring this up it seems to get confused. I really like Monte, I just don't like that there is nobody who could, in front of the public, disagree with him and be taken seriously. More Riot's fault than his own

I dont care about this discussion about whos better than who, but I am really confused about this Monte point. I cant believe people think his opinion is that important. I for one never heard what he said about Shiphtur and if I did I would not care about it. He is a famous caster, but really nothing special when it comes to game knowledge. I would value a random players opinion over his any day.

Noone who disagrees with him would be taken serious? That is just ridiculous. Any player would be taken serious, and also casters like Jatt or Kobe.

Or did I misunderstand something here?

Monte is disproportionately important because he is one of like 3 people not affiliated with a team (anymore, he still obviously is anti TSM) that will say a player is shit, or even that they played like shit.

What players say is always meaningless, and nearly everyone else in the scene is a cheerleader.

Dont get why a players opinion is meaningless. They might not be as good at expressing themselves but they are the ones that actually play with the player they talk about on a daily basis. I would always prefer their opinion over one of the professional talking heads.

Of course these kinds of discussions are always very distorted by extreme hyperbole anyway. As we see with the Shiphtur example here who goes from "best player NA" to "total shit" to "really good" again in some peoples opinion. I dont take it all that serious.

You completely missed the point.Nobody would actually say "yeah this guy is bad".Not in public at least.Which isn't bad or anything it just makes their opinions worthless.
Prev 1 322 323 324 325 326 328 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 10h 40m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 582
White-Ra 133
910 43
Dota 2
monkeys_forever493
NeuroSwarm164
Super Smash Bros
PPMD82
AZ_Axe52
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby8734
Liquid`Hasu1339
Trikslyr95
Other Games
summit1g8293
Liquid`RaSZi2616
shahzam548
JimRising 376
C9.Mang0244
ArmadaUGS91
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick569
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream312
Other Games
BasetradeTV214
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki15
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1023
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10h 40m
Afreeca Starleague
10h 40m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d
Kung Fu Cup
1d 11h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.