• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:51
CEST 09:51
KST 16:51
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon102Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12034 users

Is sc2 a spectator friendly Esport ? - Page 3

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
kubiks
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
France1328 Posts
November 12 2011 15:26 GMT
#41
On November 13 2011 00:07 ToguRo wrote:
cmon 70% saying they understand just as much as the pro players?

thats like saying you understand NFL defenses as much as Peyton Manning


Most of the time if you want a biased poll, it's not that hard, just make the right questions.

Look here there is basicely :
- I understand like a pro
- I barely get what's going on
So people picks the choice they feel they are the closer to.

Moreover while watching you fell smarter because you see obvious flaws in the pro's play (why is he making spore crawlers the guy is making seven gates ?).
Juanald you're my hero I miss you -> best troll ever on TL <3
Poehalcho
Profile Joined October 2011
149 Posts
November 12 2011 15:30 GMT
#42
I started watching Sc2 before I started playing it. that's kinda what made me buy it.
Afterwards I spent a lot of time spamming a friend of mine with sc2 vids. By now he seems to have taken a fair interest into it. I've never been under the impression that he dislikes watching sc2.
And Starcraft 2 isn't hard to watch or understand, sure you might not get everything at first, but you learn if you continue watching. Same goes for a sport like football.
Great Master Chief Nerdotaku God Emperor Bauss
BluePanther
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2776 Posts
November 12 2011 15:30 GMT
#43
On November 13 2011 00:07 ToguRo wrote:
cmon 70% saying they understand just as much as the pro players?

thats like saying you understand NFL defenses as much as Peyton Manning


You should see me play Madden. I tear defenses apart because I learned how to exploit different coverages and how to recognize them quickly. That doesn't mean I think I'm better at football than Peyton, but I can still understand it at an equivalent level. Executing... that's another thing.
Beastyqt
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Serbia516 Posts
November 12 2011 15:39 GMT
#44
On November 12 2011 22:34 yoigen wrote:
I have an understanding as good as the pro player themself of whats going on (18)

69%


hahhahhhahahahahaahahahhaha


That made me laugh too
Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/Beastyqt YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/beastyqtsc2
TotalBiscuit
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United Kingdom5437 Posts
November 12 2011 17:40 GMT
#45
Pretty shitty poll there when you ignore the most common caster combo within it. Gives some seriously biased results.
CommentatorHost of SHOUTcraft Clan Wars- http://www.mlg.tv/shoutcraft
Aurdon
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2007 Posts
November 12 2011 17:41 GMT
#46
I watch it and I don't play at all.


Add that option because it pretty much tells you that Yes it is very watchable.
Sighstorm
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands116 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-12 17:48:04
November 12 2011 17:46 GMT
#47
I barely play, but watch SC2 almost on a daily basis.

IMO SC2 is extremely noob friendly for spectators. I started watching SC2 during beta (Husky) and haven't played much RTS in the 10 years prior to that.I did play some very very low level dune, warcraft, C&C and 2 other RTS games i can't remember the name of before that. I bought my current computer specificly to play SC2 (1 or 2 months after the release of the game), because i enjoyed watching it so much.

I've played (board/role playing/card/PC/console) games all my life and have played MTG competatively for periods of time and poker for about 1 or 2 years.
I've always enjoyed watching (PC/console/card) games... just watching friends play or pro level games. I was always intrigued by competative PC gaming, but it was hard to find because of all the different labels that were used for it (competative gaming, pro gaming, virtual sports, electronics sports, cyber sports, etc). I was never into BW. With SC2 i finally found my way into the huge archives of "eSports". I really like shows like @#%$ Slasher and LO3, because it focusses on more then just SC2.

I've tried enjoying MOBA games, but it's just not exciting for me... the tension arc is bad, the ingame storyline is bad, there is no real climax, etc. I'm also no a big fan of watching FPS, except Quake (?)... maybe i simply don't enjoy watching team games. I'd rather watch competative Fifa, Trackmania or even Guitar Hero above MOBA games.

I would love to see Soul Caliber and Dynablaster competatively.

DjWheat & Apolo @ IPL3 is the caster combination i've enjoyed the most in the past year.

I think i've covered all the points in the OP now.
zimms
Profile Joined November 2009
Austria561 Posts
November 12 2011 17:53 GMT
#48
So many people thinking they understand the game as well as pros XD Made my day.
Nukm_
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany104 Posts
November 12 2011 17:54 GMT
#49
65% saying that they understand the game as good as the pros, lmao. this explains a lot. get real people
phiinix
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States1169 Posts
November 12 2011 18:21 GMT
#50
I vote this poll best example of TL elitism of all time.
"pretty decent" -high masters/GM level. FFS these people are not decent, they are good. GOOD. NOT DECENT. How does it make any sense to call the top 1% of players decent? That's like saying the top 1% of Americans are "decently wealthy". THEY'RE NOT. THEY'RE FUCKING RICH.
-There are 7 people who are pro players, yet 110 people understand what's going on on a pro level. So people are on the same mental level as pros, yet they're "decent". What a joke.
The number of clearly dominated choices and representations in here is sooooo skewed, I can't see how you could possibly use any of this data.

Why is the question of "is sc2 a spectator friendly e-sport to watch" not just a YES or a NO. The OP discusses absolutely nothing relevant to spectating other e-sports, and all of a sudden there's an extra 6 options? Where's the rationality for that?
KawaiiRice
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States2914 Posts
November 12 2011 18:24 GMT
#51
On November 12 2011 22:15 Aterons_toss wrote:
Poll: How much do you understand the mathces ?

I have an understanding as good as the pro player themself of whats going on (147)
 
60%

I don't always understand the new tactics/meta game shifts but other than that i get whats going on (83)
 
34%

I onyl understand it at a mid-ish level ( aka upgrades are good, expansions are good..etc ) (10)
 
4%

I don't understand pretty much anything except for who won the games/battles (4)
 
2%

I only understand it at a "who microed better" " who has more suply" level (1)
 
0%

245 total votes

Your vote: How much do you understand the mathces ?

(Vote): I have an understanding as good as the pro player themself of whats going on
(Vote): I don't always understand the new tactics/meta game shifts but other than that i get whats going on
(Vote): I onyl understand it at a mid-ish level ( aka upgrades are good, expansions are good..etc )
(Vote): I only understand it at a "who microed better" " who has more suply" level
(Vote): I don't understand pretty much anything except for who won the games/battles



my god where have these people been hiding all this time?!
LOL
@KawaiiRiceLighT
Jakkerr
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands2549 Posts
November 12 2011 18:27 GMT
#52
Pretty useless poll on an SC2 forum.
Off course every1 is gonna vote positive.
Fact is that SC2 isn't spectator friendly at all, if you don't play the game urself u have absolutely no idea what ur watching.
PhiliBiRD
Profile Joined November 2009
United States2643 Posts
November 12 2011 18:27 GMT
#53
Lol, I like how the majority voted that they know as much as the pros. I can easily say the vast majority of people are misleading themselves if they actually believe this. The vast majority of casters don't even know, even some of the good ones.

As for the OP, I say yes it is friendly. But it's not the friendliest.
Kieofire
Profile Joined June 2011
United States1809 Posts
November 12 2011 18:30 GMT
#54
On November 13 2011 03:27 Jakkerr wrote:
Pretty useless poll on an SC2 forum.
Off course every1 is gonna vote positive.
Fact is that SC2 isn't spectator friendly at all, if you don't play the game urself u have absolutely no idea what ur watching.


Eh I don't play sc2 at all, it does take time to learn the terms and what goes on but if you are interested in it then it will not matter as much.
MaV_gGSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada1345 Posts
November 12 2011 18:31 GMT
#55
Sometimes it just looks like clump vs clump wars but other than that it's amazing to watch sometimes even to the point where I get nerd chills
Life's good :D
SuperGnu
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden240 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-12 18:37:28
November 12 2011 18:37 GMT
#56

btw

I watch it and i am a pro player (2)

I have an understanding as good as the pro player themself of whats going on (52)

It seems like 50 potentially pro players have been shafted out of their successful SC2 careers. How tragic.


I might know exactly how a nuclear reactor work inside and out but that does not mean that i can actually build one.
From: TL.net Bot; This is a Warning! - Your posting sucks. Try to work on that. - Thanks in advance for your cooperation, KwarK
Phobbers
Profile Joined May 2011
773 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-12 18:41:31
November 12 2011 18:37 GMT
#57
On November 13 2011 02:54 Nukm_ wrote:
65% saying that they understand the game as good as the pros, lmao. this explains a lot. get real people

There is a difference between understanding and executing. One can understand a vast amount of information, but when that information needs to be put to use, the odds are, the pro will put it to better use and execute in a superior fashion. There are some scenarios in which one won't have any idea, whether they are pro or not, of what is going on. Big example, Nestea vs Anypro on Dual Site. Nestea went for a fast lair to spine rush Anypro, at that point Artosis and Tasteless were both stumped.

At the same time, the term "understanding the game" may be to broad as well. Does that me just a general understanding? Or are we moving towards areas that are clouded? Such as Nestea's spine rush.

Pertaining to myself personally, I am a platinum player and I feel I have a vast basic understanding of the game at a pro level. I understand the different styles a terran can use in a TvT, bio, mech, bio/mech, sky. I understand the concept of why mutas are so important in TvZ, not just for harass and containment, but for drop protection. I understand the concept of why blink robo builds are the new big thing in PvP. But, did I understand when Nestea spine rushed Anypro? No, not one bit. But that is a case of learning and going forth and becoming familiar with something. I've gathered that information now, I understand why that is a decent FFE counter.

All in all, while I may not be able to execute at a pro level, I feel I understand the basics and even to the extent of most of they "tiny" things, such as superior timings for certain units and why pros do it in that fashion.

Edit:Typo
EG/C9/ALL/TSM
Apollo_Shards
Profile Joined February 2011
1210 Posts
November 12 2011 18:40 GMT
#58
I like to watch JYP and Sase stream. I also catch all the big tournaments except for IEM. And Im only Gold.
Jaedong, sOs, avilo, MaSa, Oprah
Propanelol
Profile Joined October 2011
United States81 Posts
November 12 2011 18:40 GMT
#59
Quit bitching about how there is no dual caster option, the poll is asking if there was only ONE caster would you prefer analytic or shoutcasting style
NexCa
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany954 Posts
November 12 2011 18:42 GMT
#60
of course it is, compared to other games like Counter strike or any FPS game, its simply great for watching !
Best Protoss Player 4 ever - Bisu[Shield] || http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=326242 || THIS IS WHERE WE STAND, THIS IS WHERE THEY FALL, GIVE THEM NOTHING, BUT TAKE FROM THEM EVERYTHING ! || SKT FIGHTIIING
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 10m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
hero 652
soO 533
BeSt 443
Hyuk 406
Killer 66
Mind 40
Shinee 37
Mong 34
Bale 25
ZergMaN 12
[ Show more ]
yabsab 11
Dota 2
monkeys_forever932
XaKoH 659
XcaliburYe179
League of Legends
JimRising 516
Other Games
summit1g9655
olofmeister705
ceh9503
Happy276
Livibee166
Mew2King81
crisheroes70
ArmadaUGS57
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick544
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH375
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2307
League of Legends
• Rush1385
• Stunt443
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
2h 10m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
3h 10m
Monday Night Weeklies
8h 10m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 2h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 2h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 16h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.