• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:58
CEST 00:58
KST 07:58
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War375.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
We built a tool to spot smurfs at match start 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Rollback Netcode in Brood War Making an Online Broodwar Manager Game BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8416 users

How to play Terran v Zerg as Terran atm ? Masters - Page 2

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Rano
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany11 Posts
May 19 2011 20:02 GMT
#21
Exwon, this sounds really interesting
I like the benefits of fast thor

when do you get your 2nd gas, right after the factory? when do you get your 2nd command center?
( do you cut marines, or after how many thors?
thx
Rano
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany11 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-19 20:14:17
May 19 2011 20:09 GMT
#22
Tenks,
this was really helpful,
yeah I really like the idea and the potential of quick reactor starports and the aggression it can offer , and the way you described the midgame transition it sounded save
thx
ShoeFactory
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States186 Posts
May 19 2011 20:09 GMT
#23
I am a former top 200 zerg player and I've been playing terran for two weeks. This is my best TvX matchup and I'd say my TvZ is about 1200 masters level.

I think the key to playing TvZ is constant aggression. I open 2 rax with bunker pressure into FE and subsequently marine tank medivac. Constantly try to push out to his base with and set up tanks right outside his creep. use marines to kill creep and drop marines to his peripheral expansions. This constant aggression buys time for your 3/3 upgrades. Marine spreading near your tanks is vital.
Tortious_Tortoise
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States944 Posts
May 19 2011 20:10 GMT
#24
A mostly mech composition is not countered by Roach/infestor. If you do damage with early BF Hellions, they have no units. If your hellions fail, good tank positioning and a slow push fucks up Roach infestor. If you're not caught with your pants down without detection or in bad positioning, you will roll through roach infestor. If the game progresses, when my 3rd starts to kick in, I add a fifth factory and two starports and crank vikings blindly. If Zerg has teched to BL, it works great. If not, Vikings dominate the map, shut down any magic box (four or five vikings plus 2ish thors do incredibly well against the same food in muta), serve as scouts and can kill stray overlords.
Treating eSports as a social science since 2011; Credo: "The system is never wrong"-- Day9 Daily #400 Part 3
Tenks
Profile Joined April 2010
United States3104 Posts
May 19 2011 20:15 GMT
#25
On May 20 2011 05:10 mbr2321 wrote:
A mostly mech composition is not countered by Roach/infestor. If you do damage with early BF Hellions, they have no units. If your hellions fail, good tank positioning and a slow push fucks up Roach infestor. If you're not caught with your pants down without detection or in bad positioning, you will roll through roach infestor. If the game progresses, when my 3rd starts to kick in, I add a fifth factory and two starports and crank vikings blindly. If Zerg has teched to BL, it works great. If not, Vikings dominate the map, shut down any magic box (four or five vikings plus 2ish thors do incredibly well against the same food in muta), serve as scouts and can kill stray overlords.



I've ran into problems doing this because if I get slightly out of position with my Vikings and they get caught in Fungal range but not Siege range they all die. Then they just move their BL and roll down all my tanks. I have to babysit the Vikings so much that I feel so nervous going that composition against Infestor/BL.
Wat
Shaithis
Profile Joined March 2010
United States383 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-19 20:20:43
May 19 2011 20:18 GMT
#26
The most basic rule to keep in mind when playing TvZ is to always have a way of dealing with mutas. It is incredibly easy for a zerg player to trade his army for most of your marines, then pop out 12 mutas and roll over your rauders and tanks and make a mess of your mineral lines. This is how I lost the vast majority of my TvZ games until I started adding ghosts to my unit mix, and got better at keeping my marines alive.

Thors are not a reliable muta counter, nor are turrets. Vikings fight mutas in the air like they fight everything else on the ground. The best readily available options are (1) stimmed marines and (2) ghosts. BCs work very well with upgrades but you won't be getting air weps / armor in 1v1.
jyLee
Profile Joined August 2009
United States350 Posts
May 19 2011 20:29 GMT
#27
As a masters zerg I prefer aggressive terrans that keep trying to do timing attacks. Its the terrans that turtle hard on 2 or 3 base and push out with a upgraded mechball or marine tank that gives me all sorts of trouble. As long as the zerg responds to terran aggression properly they gain map control and the upperhand. Map control doesnt mean shit against a turtling terran and all zerg can do is get rolled by incoming deathball and hope for a remax fast enough which is a crapshoot.
willy001
Profile Joined March 2011
United States89 Posts
May 19 2011 20:31 GMT
#28
one way that i have seen used to great success at gold level and down is to open with a 6rax. the 6rax i am referring to is the one that TLO used against spanishiwa in their show match. i find that when executed correctly it forces zerg to make banelings. just because banelings are made doesn't mean that they will be effective however, just make sure that when he makes banelings that you stutter step, especially since he will likely try to surround you with zerglings. during this initial push you should be able to safely expand and put up defenses in your main. if you attempt this build you will not be getting gas until towards the end of your first push. a key factor to this push is to make sure that he doesn't not scout you effectively. in other words you positioning of your barracks must be damn near unscoutable unless he busts in. you see an overlord you kill it before it sees those 6 rax. if you can hide the 6 rax until the push then he will be caught of guard and will not be able to make banelings until after your push is well underway. if your first push doesnt win outright you should be able to transition fairly smoothly but without, gas unfortunately.also be sure to wall off as quickly as you can. make those marines as constantly as you can and keep that scv count going to expand while your opponent is trying to recover. that's the best tvz early game strategy i have seen used other than MarineKingPrime's 2 rax opening consisting of 3 marines 7scvs that he used in game 1 of the finals against IMNestea
rmAmnesiac
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom185 Posts
May 19 2011 20:34 GMT
#29
On May 20 2011 04:52 eXwOn wrote:
Show nested quote +
From my perspective what currently happens is that it is impossible to lategame win vs a Zerg ? Can someone confirm , deny please?
It is not impossible no.

My second best MU is TvZ, right after TvP:
When do I put pressure? 5:00(hellion) - 7:00 (thor-medivac-marine) - 9:30 (thor tank medivac hellions) 13:30 (thor maine hellion tank banshee marauder medivac), and I do drops whenever he is aggressive.
When do I expo? 7:30-13:30-whenever feels right

You need to learn to effectively sim city across the entire map, here's a screenshot of one of my latest games in a TvZ
[image loading]

I'm not going to write out my build, because it's very long and tedious; but I open with a 1-1-1 fast thor expo into mech& harassment.

Don't sting on the turrets. If he gets allot of mutas out even up to five turrets is worth it, if it saves you 10 workers.

Show nested quote +
What is your army composition ?
I'm a big promoter of an even unit composition. So mine generally is: Thor, marine, tank, ghost, medivac, banshee, hellion (and sometimes vikings). Marine tank is a good for your main army; but later game you're going to need to have thors in there. By pushing with your thors first with marines a bit behind infestors have a hard time getting fungals. And Thors really make positioning of your marines much more forgiving against mutalisks.

Show nested quote +
How effective it is to have really fast medivacs and by that i mean so that you can dualdrop before 12 minutes?
Well 12 minutes for medivacs is extremely late. The two big timings for medivacs that I can think of is at 7:00 (fastest), and 9:30 (relatively fast after expo). Fast drops are extremely effective.

Show nested quote +
How many techlabs etc reactors for timing attacks?
For my barracks, absolutely zero reactors, with one tech lab for upgrades. Every additional barracks can be used for walling in and improving your sim city. All my factories/starports have reactors and techlabs, which is a given.

Best of luck.


scrap station lol. lets see it for tal darim typhoo peaks cross spots
Shaithis
Profile Joined March 2010
United States383 Posts
May 19 2011 20:35 GMT
#30
On May 20 2011 05:31 willy001 wrote:
one way that i have seen used to great success at gold level and down is to open with a 6rax. the 6rax i am referring to is the one that TLO used against spanishiwa in their show match. i find that when executed correctly it forces zerg to make banelings. just because banelings are made doesn't mean that they will be effective however, just make sure that when he makes banelings that you stutter step, especially since he will likely try to surround you with zerglings. during this initial push you should be able to safely expand and put up defenses in your main. if you attempt this build you will not be getting gas until towards the end of your first push. a key factor to this push is to make sure that he doesn't not scout you effectively. in other words you positioning of your barracks must be damn near unscoutable unless he busts in. you see an overlord you kill it before it sees those 6 rax. if you can hide the 6 rax until the push then he will be caught of guard and will not be able to make banelings until after your push is well underway. if your first push doesnt win outright you should be able to transition fairly smoothly but without, gas unfortunately.also be sure to wall off as quickly as you can. make those marines as constantly as you can and keep that scv count going to expand while your opponent is trying to recover. that's the best tvz early game strategy i have seen used other than MarineKingPrime's 2 rax opening consisting of 3 marines 7scvs that he used in game 1 of the finals against IMNestea


The 6 rax build cuts SCV production at 15, and is an all-in. You cannot execute it and maintain constant SCV production. Also, zerg is not in fact forced to make banelings; roaches + spines work just fine. Also, 2 rax (12 rax and 14 rax) allows more pressure on the FE. I don't really recommend 6 rax in TvZ for these reasons.
WarSame
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1950 Posts
May 19 2011 20:36 GMT
#31
On May 20 2011 05:34 rmAmnesiac wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 20 2011 04:52 eXwOn wrote:
From my perspective what currently happens is that it is impossible to lategame win vs a Zerg ? Can someone confirm , deny please?
It is not impossible no.

My second best MU is TvZ, right after TvP:
When do I put pressure? 5:00(hellion) - 7:00 (thor-medivac-marine) - 9:30 (thor tank medivac hellions) 13:30 (thor maine hellion tank banshee marauder medivac), and I do drops whenever he is aggressive.
When do I expo? 7:30-13:30-whenever feels right

You need to learn to effectively sim city across the entire map, here's a screenshot of one of my latest games in a TvZ
[image loading]

I'm not going to write out my build, because it's very long and tedious; but I open with a 1-1-1 fast thor expo into mech& harassment.

Don't sting on the turrets. If he gets allot of mutas out even up to five turrets is worth it, if it saves you 10 workers.

What is your army composition ?
I'm a big promoter of an even unit composition. So mine generally is: Thor, marine, tank, ghost, medivac, banshee, hellion (and sometimes vikings). Marine tank is a good for your main army; but later game you're going to need to have thors in there. By pushing with your thors first with marines a bit behind infestors have a hard time getting fungals. And Thors really make positioning of your marines much more forgiving against mutalisks.

How effective it is to have really fast medivacs and by that i mean so that you can dualdrop before 12 minutes?
Well 12 minutes for medivacs is extremely late. The two big timings for medivacs that I can think of is at 7:00 (fastest), and 9:30 (relatively fast after expo). Fast drops are extremely effective.

How many techlabs etc reactors for timing attacks?
For my barracks, absolutely zero reactors, with one tech lab for upgrades. Every additional barracks can be used for walling in and improving your sim city. All my factories/starports have reactors and techlabs, which is a given.

Best of luck.


scrap station lol. lets see it for tal darim typhoo peaks cross spots

Exactly what I was thinking. If you tried to split map on TDA the Zerg would have so much money he could do Ultra drops on you.
Can it be I stayed away too long? Did you miss these rhymes while I was gone?
WarSame
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1950 Posts
May 19 2011 20:37 GMT
#32
On May 20 2011 05:35 Shaithis wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 20 2011 05:31 willy001 wrote:
one way that i have seen used to great success at gold level and down is to open with a 6rax. the 6rax i am referring to is the one that TLO used against spanishiwa in their show match. i find that when executed correctly it forces zerg to make banelings. just because banelings are made doesn't mean that they will be effective however, just make sure that when he makes banelings that you stutter step, especially since he will likely try to surround you with zerglings. during this initial push you should be able to safely expand and put up defenses in your main. if you attempt this build you will not be getting gas until towards the end of your first push. a key factor to this push is to make sure that he doesn't not scout you effectively. in other words you positioning of your barracks must be damn near unscoutable unless he busts in. you see an overlord you kill it before it sees those 6 rax. if you can hide the 6 rax until the push then he will be caught of guard and will not be able to make banelings until after your push is well underway. if your first push doesnt win outright you should be able to transition fairly smoothly but without, gas unfortunately.also be sure to wall off as quickly as you can. make those marines as constantly as you can and keep that scv count going to expand while your opponent is trying to recover. that's the best tvz early game strategy i have seen used other than MarineKingPrime's 2 rax opening consisting of 3 marines 7scvs that he used in game 1 of the finals against IMNestea


The 6 rax build cuts SCV production at 15, and is an all-in. You cannot execute it and maintain constant SCV production. Also, zerg is not in fact forced to make banelings; roaches + spines work just fine. Also, 2 rax (12 rax and 14 rax) allows more pressure on the FE. I don't really recommend 6 rax in TvZ for these reasons.

No no no no. You misunderstand. It's at a gold level. Obviously, you can do the same thing but execute it better and you will always win at the Master's level.
Can it be I stayed away too long? Did you miss these rhymes while I was gone?
Rano
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany11 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-19 20:58:15
May 19 2011 20:51 GMT
#33
I gues everyone agrees that 6 Raxx Marine is an all in

Summarizing up I like the most so far

- Remedy s Helion/Banshee - Expand - Blueflame idea
- Boxer s fast Medivac Reactor idea
- Amnesiac s 1/1/1 Thor Expand idea

Those 3 builds are by far the most interesting except of 2 raxx pressure , havent lookd at QXCs yet
Prestig0s
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany14 Posts
May 19 2011 21:05 GMT
#34
On May 20 2011 04:52 eXwOn wrote:
Show nested quote +
From my perspective what currently happens is that it is impossible to lategame win vs a Zerg ? Can someone confirm , deny please?
It is not impossible no.

My second best MU is TvZ, right after TvP:
When do I put pressure? 5:00(hellion) - 7:00 (thor-medivac-marine) - 9:30 (thor tank medivac hellions) 13:30 (thor maine hellion tank banshee marauder medivac), and I do drops whenever he is aggressive.
When do I expo? 7:30-13:30-whenever feels right

You need to learn to effectively sim city across the entire map, here's a screenshot of one of my latest games in a TvZ
[image loading]

I'm not going to write out my build, because it's very long and tedious; but I open with a 1-1-1 fast thor expo into mech& harassment.

Don't sting on the turrets. If he gets allot of mutas out even up to five turrets is worth it, if it saves you 10 workers.

Show nested quote +
What is your army composition ?
I'm a big promoter of an even unit composition. So mine generally is: Thor, marine, tank, ghost, medivac, banshee, hellion (and sometimes vikings). Marine tank is a good for your main army; but later game you're going to need to have thors in there. By pushing with your thors first with marines a bit behind infestors have a hard time getting fungals. And Thors really make positioning of your marines much more forgiving against mutalisks.

Show nested quote +
How effective it is to have really fast medivacs and by that i mean so that you can dualdrop before 12 minutes?
Well 12 minutes for medivacs is extremely late. The two big timings for medivacs that I can think of is at 7:00 (fastest), and 9:30 (relatively fast after expo). Fast drops are extremely effective.

Show nested quote +
How many techlabs etc reactors for timing attacks?
For my barracks, absolutely zero reactors, with one tech lab for upgrades. Every additional barracks can be used for walling in and improving your sim city. All my factories/starports have reactors and techlabs, which is a given.

Best of luck.


This strat is so fucking ridiciolous.... I'm zerg and find now way vs Terran atm :D Marines actually are countering all units zerg has and Medivacs are like invincable
imBLIND
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States2626 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-19 21:06:11
May 19 2011 21:05 GMT
#35
The only, and imo, the best, build I use at the masters level build for TvZ is the 1rax reaper FE

The beginning build order is an absolute piece of cake

10depot
12rax
12gas

OC and Tech lab when the rax finishes
Reaper when the tech lab finishes

The timings work out perfectly so that you have 25 gas when the barracks is done and 50 when the lab is done.

From here, I use 1 or 2 scvs to build bunkers to force him to pull drones or to sneak a bunker in a critical spot, like his choke or behind his mineral lines. I try and force as many lings, spines, and drones off minerals as I can with 2 scvs, a reaper, and a bunker. Keeping the reaper alive is essential.
You'll find that microing the reaper often leaves you with a huge surplus of minerals and about 100~200 gas sometimes. Get your CC sometime before or during the harass. I find it efficient to leave an idle scv in a close spot and pressing F1 to build the cc. The better your multitasking, the better this build becomes.

The primary objective of this aggression though, is to force a tech path or to scout what tech path he is going. I usually encounter mass lings or roaches, sometimes banelings but not very often.

The best part of this build is what comes after it. The instant the reaper finishes, you will have 100 gas for stim or a factory. This is pretty amazing because now you have a bunch of options to choose from, depending on what you want to do or what you scout:
Hellion harass w/ drops
Hellion/marauder push
4rax marine pressure --> marine/tank/medivac aggression
Thors
Mech and turtle
Any build you can think of can transition out of this 1rax reaper.

If you analyze his army composition, how hard he's droning, the map, and his tech path, you can choose the most effective means of crippling him. I don't think I need to explain what to pick vs what the zerg does.

The hardest part comes after the initial aggression.
If you succeed, start pressuring him in more places, like having a drop and a decent attack going at the same time.
If you fail, start turtling, but keep the map control if you can with hellions and drops.

The goal, whether your pressure was effective or not, is to make the zerg attack you when he does not want to attack. Constant aggression is a good way to do this b/c you will never miss the timing window that way, but timing attacks are even more powerful if your scouting is extremely accurate.
Some very efficient ways to do this in SC2:
Keep expanding and force him to take them out early or die to upgraded mech
Keep using small marine drops along with a medium sized army somewhere else to do an absurd amount of damage
im deaf
D_K_night
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada615 Posts
May 19 2011 21:16 GMT
#36
i can attest that I'm having problems with TvZ. If my first push fails, there's no real comeback, unless the zerg makes huge mistakes or I by some huge fluke kill off a large number of his units.

If I focus on expanding the zerg just takes +2 bases ahead of me, and soon I'm overun by some huge army that I cannot hope to defeat. I'm starting to see a lot of Brood lord play which comes much faster than I'm expecting. The problem is, if I go for a blue flame hellion drop and zerg is completely expecting it, I don't end up dropping it at all and forced to just go back home, putting me behind while zerg just mass drones up or takes yet another base. If I try to somehow transition to hellion/thor, I'm overrun by roaches before I can get any decent army size going.

I am just simply outmacroed and can't compete. There's even been games where I roast tons of drones with my blue flame hellions, expo up, feel confident, and what do you know? Brood lords show up and I'm dead. I'm starting to feel that blue flame hellion doesn't do as much damage that I think it does. The situation seems to be -

1) I roast ~13 drones on a drop on his main
2) he knows a real push ain't coming any time soon, and just replaces the drones he's lost.

In the end, seemingly no net gain for me.
Canada
Shaithis
Profile Joined March 2010
United States383 Posts
May 19 2011 21:21 GMT
#37
[B]
You'll find that microing the reaper often leaves you with a huge surplus of minerals and about 100~200 gas sometimes. Get your CC sometime before or during the harass. I find it efficient to leave an idle scv in a close spot and pressing F1 to build the cc. The better your multitasking, the better this build becomes.

The primary objective of this aggression though, is to force a tech path or to scout what tech path he is going. I usually encounter mass lings or roaches, sometimes banelings but not very often.


If your micro is leaving you with a huge mineral surplus, then you are not doing it right. Macro >>> micro; all that funky reaper antics will do you no good if the zerg has 20 more food than you in the end.

One reaper will never force a tech path, as any master-level (and probably below) zerg is capable of dealing with a lone reaper with just queens and lings on creep.

Rest of the post is solid, but I am still not sold on the early reaper in TvZ; I myself prefer 2 rax pressure on small maps, and hellion expand on big maps.
shifty
Profile Joined July 2010
United States280 Posts
May 19 2011 21:27 GMT
#38
If any high diamond or above is doing well in TvZ I would like to see some replays. I just cannot seem to ever feel good in this matchup no matter what I do.
Western Tribe http://www.wtr1be.com
Yoshi Kirishima
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States10383 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-19 21:33:25
May 19 2011 21:31 GMT
#39
I always open 2 rax and either pressure with a bunker from the scv from the first barracks or wait for about 10 marines before doing "light" pressure with an expansion asap.

On a map like Xel'Naga, mech builds work really well (2 rax into expand and blue flame 5 hellions + 15-25 marines depending how many survived earlier, snipe third if he already has it and if not then add a combination of tanks/thors/rauders to help deal with roaches and mutas).

Other than that, I always marine tank, adding a few Thors later in the game. It works really well. Move out with 4 tanks and ~30-50 marines each wave, unless your reinforce path is secured, in which you can just rally.

A mostly mech composition is not countered by Roach/infestor. If you do damage with early BF Hellions, they have no units. If your hellions fail, good tank positioning and a slow push fucks up Roach infestor. If you're not caught with your pants down without detection or in bad positioning, you will roll through roach infestor. If the game progresses, when my 3rd starts to kick in, I add a fifth factory and two starports and crank vikings blindly. If Zerg has teched to BL, it works great. If not, Vikings dominate the map, shut down any magic box (four or five vikings plus 2ish thors do incredibly well against the same food in muta), serve as scouts and can kill stray overlords.


This. Although I have only found this useful on Xel'Naga and to a lesser extent Metal. You know what other maps this works well on? And I'd also like to stress, a couple tanks shut down Infestors really really hard as long as you target fire them.
Mid-master streaming MECH ONLY + commentary www.twitch.tv/yoshikirishima +++ "If all-in fails, all-in again."
imBLIND
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States2626 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-19 22:33:17
May 19 2011 22:33 GMT
#40
On May 20 2011 06:21 Shaithis wrote:
Show nested quote +
[B]
You'll find that microing the reaper often leaves you with a huge surplus of minerals and about 100~200 gas sometimes. Get your CC sometime before or during the harass. I find it efficient to leave an idle scv in a close spot and pressing F1 to build the cc. The better your multitasking, the better this build becomes.

The primary objective of this aggression though, is to force a tech path or to scout what tech path he is going. I usually encounter mass lings or roaches, sometimes banelings but not very often.


If your micro is leaving you with a huge mineral surplus, then you are not doing it right. Macro >>> micro; all that funky reaper antics will do you no good if the zerg has 20 more food than you in the end.

One reaper will never force a tech path, as any master-level (and probably below) zerg is capable of dealing with a lone reaper with just queens and lings on creep.

Rest of the post is solid, but I am still not sold on the early reaper in TvZ; I myself prefer 2 rax pressure on small maps, and hellion expand on big maps.


The threat of the bunker rush and the mobility of the reaper is usually enough to compensate for the lack of power in the 2rax. It's very micro intensive, but you spend less resources on marines than you do on a single reaper and you get the same job mostly done compared to 4-6 marines.

It also hits a little sooner than a 2rax because of how fast the reaper moves and due to the fact that you only need 1 reaper, as opposed to waiting for 4 marines to walk and move across the map. You usually get to harass him right as the 2nd hatch finishes or a little after if the map is bigger.

Also, the reaper can be kept alive longer than 4 marines if you micro it properly, meaning you have a scout and a way to annoy his drone count for twice as long.

The mineral surplus is also a good way to mass up raxes and factories; 400 mins is usually about 10 seconds of reaper harass, and 450 mins for 3 more raxes is also about 10 seconds of reaper harass. You're not going to be doing any heavy macroing on 1rax anyways =p.
im deaf
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 212
ProTech174
ViBE106
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12606
910 70
NaDa 19
Dota 2
monkeys_forever368
canceldota142
League of Legends
Doublelift4683
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3974
Other Games
summit1g4820
JimRising 360
C9.Mang0306
Liquid`Hasu263
ToD199
PPMD33
JuggernautJason31
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick162
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 91
• poizon28 47
• musti20045 34
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP22
• RyuSc2 21
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix6
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21560
League of Legends
• Scarra774
Other Games
• imaqtpie1111
• Shiphtur576
• tFFMrPink 7
Upcoming Events
OSC
3m
CranKy Ducklings2
Big Brain Bouts
11h 3m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
18h 3m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
20h 3m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 11h
Patches Events
1d 16h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 20h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 20h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.