• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:35
CEST 03:35
KST 10:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8954 users

Bnet forums to be Real Name Only - Page 25

Forum Index > Closed
3046 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 23 24 25 26 27 153 Next
Sethronu
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United Kingdom450 Posts
July 06 2010 18:59 GMT
#481
I still haven't seen anyone reply to what I said earlier, and why would anyone think it's okay;

I don't know about everywhere else, but where I live, a person's name, address, and birthdate - all of which can quite often be easily found knowing someone's real name - are enough to cancel stuff like phone or broadband subscriptions, cable tv, or gym membership to name a few. This takes 5 minutes tops of 'work' on the 'bad guys' part, and can be a huge pain in the behind for the target of such a prank.

For me, a CHANCE at reducing trolling on their forums isn't worth the price...
keV.
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States3214 Posts
July 06 2010 19:00 GMT
#482
On July 07 2010 03:59 Sethronu wrote:
I still haven't seen anyone reply to what I said earlier, and why would anyone think it's okay;

I don't know about everywhere else, but where I live, a person's name, address, and birthdate - all of which can quite often be easily found knowing someone's real name - are enough to cancel stuff like phone or broadband subscriptions, cable tv, or gym membership to name a few. This takes 5 minutes tops of 'work' on the 'bad guys' part, and can be a huge pain in the behind for the target of such a prank.

For me, a CHANCE at reducing trolling on their forums isn't worth the price...


Couldn't have said it better... Though I tried, and will continue to.
"brevity is the soul of wit" - William Shakesman
RageOverdose
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States690 Posts
July 06 2010 19:00 GMT
#483
On July 07 2010 03:54 Myles wrote:


He's the situation, unlikely, but 100% possible now when it wasn't before.

You post something there about balance. Someone else posts that your wrong and you have a argument. Now some random person, not even the one you were talking to, can read that thread and decide you're worthy of harassment. They google your name, find your address and phone number, and maybe some of your relatives info as well. That isn't a big deal? It has happened just a month ago. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Counter-Strike-FPS-Knife-Fight,10543.html

The fact is that a situation like that will be extremely rare. But there are crazy people out there and I would rather not give them the opportunity.


Anything horrible can happen to you at any time, and there's nothing you can do about it.

And if someone is that dedicated, having your real name hidden will not realistically stop them. I'd say that it would be worse if they could get your email.
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-06 19:01:33
July 06 2010 19:01 GMT
#484
On July 07 2010 03:55 hifriend wrote:
"Awesome, so now when a chick I'm interested in decides to google me, she'll find my closet-gamer habit. Then there are potential employers. . ."

exactly the way I felt, no way I'm ever going to post there ^^

Even worse, if you are a girl you are now forced to let everyone else know.

Honestly, if I was a girl and played Starcraft, I wouldn't tell anyone I didn't know -_- At least not on the battle.net forums - I mean jesus, there's gonna be so many annoying posts lol
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
Auronz
Profile Joined April 2010
Brazil119 Posts
July 06 2010 19:01 GMT
#485
On July 07 2010 03:48 Offhand wrote:
Mentioned this on another forum but no one took up the challenge. If you're cool with this change please include your first and last name, email address, bnet account name, and facebook profile.

In the meantime, you can get as much info as you want off the following hints: Offhand, United States.

Thanks!


Sylvio S. Maia Conde, sylvioconde@gmail.com, facebook is barely used but it's there under my name as well somewhere. By googling it all, you can find lots about me actually.
Now when and where do I get my bombs? Seriously, if someone was going to kill somebody over a Starcraft match, I bet that by now it would have already happened and the victim would probably be Idra anyway, who coincidentally we all know the full name as of many other influential or important community members, this change is overrated imo.
In fact, there are many sites that list all the top players' names, at least the ones in the tournaments. WCG anyone? There are qualifiers every year afaik, if someone wanted for real to kill someone else online there would be really many many ways like abusing the fact that connections in almost every game are actually p2p, the idea that there is a psycho waiting in every gaming chatroom is funny to me.
Myles
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5162 Posts
July 06 2010 19:01 GMT
#486
On July 07 2010 03:59 McDonalds wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 07 2010 03:54 Myles wrote:
Here's the situation, unlikely, but 100% possible now when it wasn't before.

You post something there about balance. Someone else posts that your wrong and you have a argument.


Blizzard doesn't want you to have arguments. That's the point. Have a debate if you want to, but if you're having an argument that might make somebody want to bother you, then you're doing it wrong.


A debate and an argument are the same damn thing. Someone can still decide you're and idiot and want to take revenge.
Moderator
Sethronu
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United Kingdom450 Posts
July 06 2010 19:01 GMT
#487
On July 07 2010 04:01 Liquid`Jinro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 07 2010 03:55 hifriend wrote:
"Awesome, so now when a chick I'm interested in decides to google me, she'll find my closet-gamer habit. Then there are potential employers. . ."

exactly the way I felt, no way I'm ever going to post there ^^

Even worse, if you are a girl you are now forced to let everyone else know.

Honestly, if I was a girl and played Starcraft, I wouldn't tell anyone I didn't know -_- At least not on the battle.net forums - I mean jesus, there's gonna be so many annoying posts lol


Imagine if you're a girl and you play WoW rather than Starcraft. Let the good times roll!
bongjwa
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States199 Posts
July 06 2010 19:01 GMT
#488
what the hell are you people so paranoid that you won't post your first and last name? seriously? get fucking real its nothing at all

SHAWN KOTULA

seriously what is going to happen? my facebook and wow account get hacked if they are totally lucky?? oh man my world is over!
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=123578 <--- my tournament. sign up!
Myles
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5162 Posts
July 06 2010 19:03 GMT
#489
On July 07 2010 04:00 RageOverdose wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 07 2010 03:54 Myles wrote:


He's the situation, unlikely, but 100% possible now when it wasn't before.

You post something there about balance. Someone else posts that your wrong and you have a argument. Now some random person, not even the one you were talking to, can read that thread and decide you're worthy of harassment. They google your name, find your address and phone number, and maybe some of your relatives info as well. That isn't a big deal? It has happened just a month ago. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Counter-Strike-FPS-Knife-Fight,10543.html

The fact is that a situation like that will be extremely rare. But there are crazy people out there and I would rather not give them the opportunity.


Anything horrible can happen to you at any time, and there's nothing you can do about it.

And if someone is that dedicated, having your real name hidden will not realistically stop them. I'd say that it would be worse if they could get your email.


Yes, but many things you cant do anything about. This is 100% preventable and that's what I don't like. Putting your name upfront just makes it easier.
Moderator
Clearout
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Norway1060 Posts
July 06 2010 19:03 GMT
#490
I dont see why you should get into any problems using your real name unless you act like a total jackass. If you act as you would towards a person irl why would anyone want to do anything to you? If you act like a jackass irl you would probably get hit in the face too, so if youre acting as you should you wont have any problems.

Identity theft? How are you any less safe having your name on 1 more site (proper site too) when you
probably have it on several others as well?

I see no negative sides to this, if you want to hide your privacy or keep anynomous, you probably have something to hide which you should do in the first place.
really?
heishe
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany2284 Posts
July 06 2010 19:03 GMT
#491
who the fuck needs those forums. it's going to be full of "OMFG XYZ JUST RAPED ME!!! NERF" posts. TL > B.NETDF
If you value your soul, never look into the eye of a horse. Your soul will forever be lost in the void of the horse.
Rodiel
Profile Joined August 2006
France573 Posts
July 06 2010 19:04 GMT
#492
On July 07 2010 04:01 Liquid`Jinro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 07 2010 03:55 hifriend wrote:
"Awesome, so now when a chick I'm interested in decides to google me, she'll find my closet-gamer habit. Then there are potential employers. . ."

exactly the way I felt, no way I'm ever going to post there ^^

Even worse, if you are a girl you are now forced to let everyone else know.

Honestly, if I was a girl and played Starcraft, I wouldn't tell anyone I didn't know -_- At least not on the battle.net forums - I mean jesus, there's gonna be so many annoying posts lol


Only pro shemale now
Mulloy
Profile Joined March 2010
United States86 Posts
July 06 2010 19:05 GMT
#493
I mean, I don't post on the battle.net forums as it is, but I just don't care that they'd list your name. But I stopped caring about that back in like 2004.
I have been known, on occasion, to dapple in fancy hats.
Beazly101
Profile Joined June 2010
United States15 Posts
July 06 2010 19:05 GMT
#494
Blizz just needs to take a page out of TL's book and handle there forums the way they do on this site and take control of all the BS's on theirs. But instead they are going to turn there forums into a "ghost town" witch will solve nothing.
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
July 06 2010 19:05 GMT
#495
On July 07 2010 04:01 bongjwa wrote:
what the hell are you people so paranoid that you won't post your first and last name? seriously? get fucking real its nothing at all

SHAWN KOTULA

seriously what is going to happen? my facebook and wow account get hacked if they are totally lucky?? oh man my world is over!

The point is there's no reason to force people to reveal their identity. Lots of people know my name already, that's fine, but I shouldn't be forced to reveal it =/
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
Tray
Profile Joined March 2010
United States122 Posts
July 06 2010 19:05 GMT
#496
On July 07 2010 03:56 keV. wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 07 2010 03:52 ikkyixo wrote:
On July 07 2010 03:48 Offhand wrote:
Mentioned this on another forum but no one took up the challenge. If you're cool with this change please include your first and last name, email address, bnet account name, and facebook profile.

In the meantime, you can get as much info as you want off the following hints: Offhand, United States.

Thanks!


Blizzard is only showing your First and Last name, not all the credentials you're stating. And I'll bite on your challenge: Gregory Dodd.

Have fun.


Show nested quote +
On July 07 2010 03:52 McDonalds wrote:
On July 07 2010 03:48 Offhand wrote:
Mentioned this on another forum but no one took up the challenge. If you're cool with this change please include your first and last name, email address, bnet account name, and facebook profile.

In the meantime, you can get as much info as you want off the following hints: Offhand, United States.

Thanks!


You're not the first person to post this and you won't be the second person I reply to about it.


I find it so amusing that people keep posting things like this as proof that it doesn't matter, where, meanwhile, in the Blizzard WoW thread, several people have done the same and been met with tons of their personal information: Including relatives and job history.

To argue that you can't get a lot from just someones name is insane, obviously it is incredibly dependent on the common-ness of the name and internet history. Just because you think you are invincible (and you might be!) that doesn't mean there isn't someone who can be really hurt with just their name available. How can you be that short sighted and selfish? Pay attention to what is being said and think about it a second.


Despite the fact that you're an idiot of epic proportions, I find your post humorously ironic. You're the one who is short sighted and selfish. You are condoning trolling and the only reason you're against this is because you want to continue to troll the bnet forums without any recourse. It's actually the people who are all for this idea that are the ones that are thinking of the community as a whole, and not just a few nerdraged losers.

User was warned for this post
Backpack
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States1776 Posts
July 06 2010 19:06 GMT
#497
On July 07 2010 04:03 Myles wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 07 2010 04:00 RageOverdose wrote:
On July 07 2010 03:54 Myles wrote:


He's the situation, unlikely, but 100% possible now when it wasn't before.

You post something there about balance. Someone else posts that your wrong and you have a argument. Now some random person, not even the one you were talking to, can read that thread and decide you're worthy of harassment. They google your name, find your address and phone number, and maybe some of your relatives info as well. That isn't a big deal? It has happened just a month ago. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Counter-Strike-FPS-Knife-Fight,10543.html

The fact is that a situation like that will be extremely rare. But there are crazy people out there and I would rather not give them the opportunity.


Anything horrible can happen to you at any time, and there's nothing you can do about it.

And if someone is that dedicated, having your real name hidden will not realistically stop them. I'd say that it would be worse if they could get your email.


Yes, but many things you cant do anything about. This is 100% preventable and that's what I don't like. Putting your name upfront just makes it easier.

How many thousands of people know your name? Everyone you ever went to school with, all of your current and past friends, all of your co-workers.

Do you find that scary? Do you complain that you can't go to school and learn anonymously without other students knowing your name?
"You people need to just generally care a lot less about everything." -Zatic
RedTaisha
Profile Joined June 2010
United States51 Posts
July 06 2010 19:06 GMT
#498
One more reason to stick with TL .
One in a million is next Tuesday.
Najda
Profile Joined June 2010
United States3765 Posts
July 06 2010 19:06 GMT
#499
I don't post there anyway, and I will continue not posting there, but really I couldn't care less about Real Names on the forums.
e4e5nf3
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
Canada599 Posts
July 06 2010 19:06 GMT
#500
I guess Blizz is using facebook logic: while some fb users use fake names, a great many don't. The starcraft facebook group has thousands of members, but none are complaining about maintaining anonymity with each other.
King takes Queen
Prev 1 23 24 25 26 27 153 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 25m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 51
NaDa 24
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm230
LuMiX0
Other Games
summit1g9362
JimRising 744
ViBE149
ArmadaUGS97
Mew2King91
Trikslyr31
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1302
BasetradeTV168
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream117
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 114
• davetesta55
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
8h 25m
INu's Battles
10h 25m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
13h 25m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
17h 25m
BSL Open Qualifier
17h 25m
Replay Cast
21h 25m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 8h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 9h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 14h
Replay Cast
1d 21h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.