• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:57
CEST 23:57
KST 06:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BW General Discussion BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8541 users

Bnet forums to be Real Name Only - Page 22

Forum Index > Closed
3046 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 24 153 Next
Hynda
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Sweden2226 Posts
July 06 2010 18:33 GMT
#421
On July 07 2010 03:30 afirlortwo wrote:
I have a relatively unique name, this would definitely not work well for me. Those with the names like "joe smith" wont have these changes affect them as much those with names like "alrik firl"
Also I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in the world, or at least in my own country with my name. So finding me would be easy as crap.
pencilcase
Profile Joined September 2007
United States330 Posts
July 06 2010 18:34 GMT
#422
Pretty crazy idea. How easy is it to create a fake RealID account? You just need to use a e-mail to register right? If so, it would still be pretty easy to troll.
mangina
Profile Joined March 2008
United States230 Posts
July 06 2010 18:34 GMT
#423
wow blizzard... you make me lawl

such a stupid idea, get rid of the facebook stuff with bnet2, they just want to advertise to people everywhere just so they can get more money, god damn activision....

yeah, i wouldnt post if my name was to come out in full
Kletus
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada580 Posts
July 06 2010 18:34 GMT
#424
On July 07 2010 03:32 Archerofaiur wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 07 2010 03:27 Kishime wrote:
My name is Jim O'Hearn. Have at me!!!!



A bunch of people like you have already made posts just like the one you made and a few posts later someone posts thier identifying info. I know you think your being clever. Your not.


Except a bunch of those people were wrong? Also you are missing his point; he doesn't care if you look him up.
Your resistance only serves to make my carapace harder.
Deadlift
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States358 Posts
July 06 2010 18:34 GMT
#425
On July 07 2010 03:32 Archerofaiur wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 07 2010 03:27 Kishime wrote:
My name is Jim O'Hearn. Have at me!!!!



A bunch of people like you have already made posts just like the one you made and a few posts later someone posts thier identifying info. I know you think your being clever. Your not.


And what is the negative associated with someone posting my "identifying info?"
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-06 18:35:21
July 06 2010 18:34 GMT
#426
Some guy gave his name on another forum and this is what turned up... (I bleeped the names because that's what reasonable people do on the Internet)

Your middle name is John. You've live/lived in the following locations:

Eugene, OR
Redwood City, CA
Belmont, CA
Rohnert Park, CA

Some of your relatives are:

Andrea M ***
Mary B *** (40)
Mary Elizabeth *** (40)
Marilyn ***
Beth ***

For $1.95, I can have access to your most recent address, DOB and your average income. Or I could simply log into the city/county courthouse databases in those cities listed & pull up your address there.
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
Diamond
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States10796 Posts
July 06 2010 18:35 GMT
#427
On July 07 2010 03:33 StayFrosty wrote:
Well I can see this thread has become a clusterfuck of rage in a little over 2 hours.


It's pretty impressive.

Seriously I am not surprised but I don't get why. If you are worried about people finding you, make ur FB private, and don't post your address anywhere.......
Ballistix Gaming Global Gaming/Esports Marketing Manager - twitter.com/esvdiamond
Zarahtra
Profile Joined May 2010
Iceland4053 Posts
July 06 2010 18:36 GMT
#428
On July 07 2010 03:28 McDonalds wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 07 2010 03:26 theDragoon wrote:
This is ridiculous. I've got a very unique name, if you google it first thing that comes up is my facebook page, not only that it shows pages from my school clubs and past competitions i've been to. A lot of information about me can potentially be revealed just by searching my name.

I like the anonymity of the internet and value my privacy.

This probably will stop the amount of trolls in the forums but I think other things could've been done instead of sacrificing users' privacy.


You obviously don't value your privacy if you have a Facebook, much less a Facebook with anything public on it.

The issue isn't so much about having your name out there or some information. It is about linking together online world and RL world. For many progamers, the online world is kind of their RL world, so they don't find this very threatening, but I don't want a chick I'm making my moves on to google me and find I'm an active SC2 player(that is I wouldn't want her to find out that way) and the same goes with employers, friends and basically everyone.
Facebook isn't so much an online world, at least not if you have just the people you know through RL or are on first name bases with on there. It's to me more like a RL extension if you will, hence having full name there isn't so terrible, though I'd still say people are way to free and careless with their privacy settings.
Mulloy
Profile Joined March 2010
United States86 Posts
July 06 2010 18:36 GMT
#429
People posting their real names are likely saying they don't care if you find things about them on the internet. I'm not going to be brazen about it, but like I said, I already post under my real name. If someone wants to go facebook it up and find out which Mulloys play SC2, go for it. If I really cared, I'd just not have made a facebook page in the first place. It's not that hard to prevent this stuff from harming you. The only exception, for me, are the younger people who sign up for crap before thinking about the impact (much like most teenage decisions), but that's a different matter.
I have been known, on occasion, to dapple in fancy hats.
lol.Donkament
Profile Joined June 2010
Malta50 Posts
July 06 2010 18:36 GMT
#430
WTF blizzard
Vimsey
Profile Joined May 2010
United Kingdom2235 Posts
July 06 2010 18:36 GMT
#431
On July 07 2010 03:29 Mulloy wrote:
Out of curiosity what exactly is it you're posting on the Blizzard forums that will render you unemployable? Or do you have experiences with employers flat out rejecting you because you played WoW or something? Every company I've worked at has had a large number of gamers and it hasn't been that big of an issue.

There are a lot of people that have an extremely negative bias towards computer games and computer gamers. Especially against those who maybe passionately arguing game balance at 2 oclock in the morning or playing 10 hours straight.
keV.
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States3214 Posts
July 06 2010 18:37 GMT
#432
On July 07 2010 03:35 iCCup.Diamond wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 07 2010 03:33 StayFrosty wrote:
Well I can see this thread has become a clusterfuck of rage in a little over 2 hours.


It's pretty impressive.

Seriously I am not surprised but I don't get why. If you are worried about people finding you, make ur FB private, and don't post your address anywhere.......


Do you really think this is reasonable? I've been using the internet for many many years, do you believe anyone with a rich internet history (basically anyone over 20) has the ability to tie up every single loose end? Give me a break.
"brevity is the soul of wit" - William Shakesman
ggfobster
Profile Joined April 2007
United States298 Posts
July 06 2010 18:37 GMT
#433
Never posted on the bnet forums because I was always too lazy to find a CDKey. Looks like with the name change I won't start anytime soon.
McDonalds
Profile Joined March 2010
Liechtenstein2244 Posts
July 06 2010 18:38 GMT
#434
On July 07 2010 03:30 Myles wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 07 2010 03:27 Kishime wrote:
Who cares?

My name is Jim O'Hearn. Have at me!!!!

IMO, unless you are a complete troll who everyone hates, nobody is going to try to get your personal info or care what your name is.


And you doubt that those people exist? It's called 4chan. There's no doubt that something happening would be rare, but I guarantee that it will happen if this goes through.


I don't mean to alarm you but unwarranted self-importance is one of the few things that would make them want to do that to you in the first place. The chances of anyone looking you up, much less trying to harass you, are pretty slim.

I'm positive that it will happen to somebody on the first day now just based on how much complaining people are doing, but you're not going to get an acid bomb in the mail.
High five :---)
Myles
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5162 Posts
July 06 2010 18:38 GMT
#435
On July 07 2010 03:33 Kishime wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 07 2010 03:30 Myles wrote:
On July 07 2010 03:27 Kishime wrote:
Who cares?

My name is Jim O'Hearn. Have at me!!!!

IMO, unless you are a complete troll who everyone hates, nobody is going to try to get your personal info or care what your name is.


And you doubt that those people exist? There's no doubt that something happening would be rare, but I guarantee that it will happen if this goes through.


I'm all for this if it causes any reduction in people acting like complete chodes on forums. What's wrong with people having repercussions for acting like jackasses?


Except you can't go around doing that. If someone acts like an idiot in real life you can't punch them in the face or constantly harass them. This gives that option to 1000s of more people then you do on a normal basis. Idiots/crazies who you wouldn't ever interact with can now read your post, not like it, and find out who you are and where you live.
Moderator
Archerofaiur
Profile Joined August 2008
United States4101 Posts
July 06 2010 18:38 GMT
#436
On July 07 2010 03:34 Kishime wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 07 2010 03:32 Archerofaiur wrote:
On July 07 2010 03:27 Kishime wrote:
My name is Jim O'Hearn. Have at me!!!!



A bunch of people like you have already made posts just like the one you made and a few posts later someone posts thier identifying info. I know you think your being clever. Your not.


And what is the negative associated with someone posting my "identifying info?"



I am not even going to dignify this kind of stupidity with an answer.




http://sclegacy.com/news/28-scl/250-starcraftlegacy-macro-theorycrafting-contest-winners
Loverman
Profile Joined September 2007
Romania266 Posts
July 06 2010 18:38 GMT
#437
It's made so people buy more copies and register under fake names to troll for instance John White.
USn
Profile Joined March 2010
United States376 Posts
July 06 2010 18:39 GMT
#438
I'm so glad I canceled my pre-order after the bay area lan.

I just don't have any trust in this company. I don't see this as a big deal, but it shows they're willing to inch the line forward and who knows where that goes?
Diamond
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States10796 Posts
July 06 2010 18:39 GMT
#439
On July 07 2010 03:37 keV. wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 07 2010 03:35 iCCup.Diamond wrote:
On July 07 2010 03:33 StayFrosty wrote:
Well I can see this thread has become a clusterfuck of rage in a little over 2 hours.


It's pretty impressive.

Seriously I am not surprised but I don't get why. If you are worried about people finding you, make ur FB private, and don't post your address anywhere.......


Do you really think this is reasonable? I've been using the internet for many many years, do you believe anyone with a rich internet history (basically anyone over 20) has the ability to tie up every single loose end? Give me a break.


So have I. But seriously I don't see the big issue unless you got something big to hide.

Again. Patrick Francis Soulliere II
Ballistix Gaming Global Gaming/Esports Marketing Manager - twitter.com/esvdiamond
Deadlift
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States358 Posts
July 06 2010 18:39 GMT
#440
On July 07 2010 03:36 Vimsey wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 07 2010 03:29 Mulloy wrote:
Out of curiosity what exactly is it you're posting on the Blizzard forums that will render you unemployable? Or do you have experiences with employers flat out rejecting you because you played WoW or something? Every company I've worked at has had a large number of gamers and it hasn't been that big of an issue.

There are a lot of people that have an extremely negative bias towards computer games and computer gamers. Especially against those who maybe passionately arguing game balance at 2 oclock in the morning or playing 10 hours straight.


If any of you honestly think any prospective hiring company is going to search through your posts on a VIDEO GAME FORUM, you are out of your goddamn minds.

Hell, even if they do you can just say you have no idea what they're talking about.
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 24 153 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#2 - $100
ZZZero.O139
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 138
PiGStarcraft45
Nina 32
ViBE24
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 14483
Dewaltoss 140
ZZZero.O 139
firebathero 99
Hyuk 82
Terrorterran 23
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm82
febbydoto52
League of Legends
Doublelift2817
Counter-Strike
Fnx 782
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5901
Other Games
summit1g6574
FrodaN2333
fl0m804
mouzStarbuck369
KnowMe271
ToD236
JimRising 155
ArmadaUGS137
Mew2King44
Railgan31
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1175
BasetradeTV178
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream91
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 51
• musti20045 34
• Adnapsc2 19
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie837
• Shiphtur243
• tFFMrPink 16
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
12h 3m
INu's Battles
14h 3m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
17h 3m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
21h 3m
BSL Open Qualifier
21h 3m
Replay Cast
1d 1h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 12h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 13h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 18h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
6 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.