• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:42
CEST 19:42
KST 02:42
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7964 users

Bnet forums to be Real Name Only - Page 21

Forum Index > Closed
3046 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 19 20 21 22 23 153 Next
Archerofaiur
Profile Joined August 2008
United States4101 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-06 18:30:45
July 06 2010 18:27 GMT
#401
On July 07 2010 03:23 thragar wrote:
Show nested quote +

What the fuck?

What the fuck.

What.

The.

Fuck.


Get a grip and gain some perspective. Is not posting on the official forums really going to drastically change your life?



Ah the old "dont like it, dont play it" arguement how I missed you....
http://sclegacy.com/news/28-scl/250-starcraftlegacy-macro-theorycrafting-contest-winners
Renaissance
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Canada273 Posts
July 06 2010 18:27 GMT
#402
I just realized this:
Code of Conduct - NO POSTS CONTAINING PERSONAL INFORMATION ABOUT OTHER PLAYERS.
Facebook their name and find out more!
Live forever or die trying.
Deadlift
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States358 Posts
July 06 2010 18:27 GMT
#403
Who cares?

My name is Jim O'Hearn. Have at me!!!!

IMO, unless you are a complete troll who everyone hates, nobody is going to try to get your personal info or care what your name is.
Lysogen
Profile Joined March 2010
United States38 Posts
July 06 2010 18:27 GMT
#404
I hate my name. So, I hate this idea.
Luckily I'm not in google results yet. Unluckily, it's an uncommon name and you could easily find me on facebook.
McDonalds
Profile Joined March 2010
Liechtenstein2244 Posts
July 06 2010 18:28 GMT
#405
On July 07 2010 03:26 theDragoon wrote:
This is ridiculous. I've got a very unique name, if you google it first thing that comes up is my facebook page, not only that it shows pages from my school clubs and past competitions i've been to. A lot of information about me can potentially be revealed just by searching my name.

I like the anonymity of the internet and value my privacy.

This probably will stop the amount of trolls in the forums but I think other things could've been done instead of sacrificing users' privacy.


You obviously don't value your privacy if you have a Facebook, much less a Facebook with anything public on it.
High five :---)
Mjolnir
Profile Joined January 2009
912 Posts
July 06 2010 18:28 GMT
#406
Q u o t e:
One important point which I don't believe has been relayed yet is that the switch to showing RealID on the forums will only happen with the new forum systems we're launching for StarCraft II shortly before its release, and a new forum system for World of Warcraft launching shortly before the release of Cataclysm.

All posts here on the current World of Warcraft forums, or any of our classic Battle.net forums, will remain as-is. They won't (and can't) automatically switch to showing a real first and last name.

All posts in the future on the new forum systems will be an opt-in choice and ample warning will be given that you're posting with your real first and last name.


This is good to know. That Blizz post should ease quite a few concerns.

Still not ideal in my mind but better than how it sounded at the start.
One.two
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada116 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-06 18:29:45
July 06 2010 18:29 GMT
#407
I don't mind having a name like my SC2 character linked to my global acct, but I am not enthousiastic about having my real name all over the internet forums. I don't even have facebook because I don't want people snooping around my life... now this...


P.S. the new forum system LOOKS great. Just don't show our real name...
SC2 Editor tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/onetwosc
StarStruck
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
25339 Posts
July 06 2010 18:29 GMT
#408
Looks like Blizzard is trying to take measures against trolling. Cutos to them, but everyone knows there are ways around that.

They should just start banning more often.
Mulloy
Profile Joined March 2010
United States86 Posts
July 06 2010 18:29 GMT
#409
Out of curiosity what exactly is it you're posting on the Blizzard forums that will render you unemployable? Or do you have experiences with employers flat out rejecting you because you played WoW or something? Every company I've worked at has had a large number of gamers and it hasn't been that big of an issue.
I have been known, on occasion, to dapple in fancy hats.
Yomach
Profile Joined June 2009
Croatia11 Posts
July 06 2010 18:30 GMT
#410
Few pages back someone posted his name and last name. I don't know if he posted his real name or last name but I found out where he or a person with the same name went to school and some other stuff. I am sure I can track him down if I really want to. I mean if we assume I didn't like his post at all and he just pisses me off when I read his post I am sure I can find him and just shoot him to solve my problems ( I ain't that crazy person but lets assume I am xD) and the worst part in this is I can hurt a person with the same ID as the poster. Giving real names out isn't really rewarding in any way it just puts you in unnecessary risk. Because I am sure there will be a person that will snap and try and do something crazy if he has the means. The world ain't a pretty place but at least the virtual world was little prettier (even with trolls in it and other stupid stuff).
Myles
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5162 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-06 18:30:58
July 06 2010 18:30 GMT
#411
On July 07 2010 03:27 Kishime wrote:
Who cares?

My name is Jim O'Hearn. Have at me!!!!

IMO, unless you are a complete troll who everyone hates, nobody is going to try to get your personal info or care what your name is.


And you doubt that those people exist? It's called 4chan. There's no doubt that something happening would be rare, but I guarantee that it will happen if this goes through.
Moderator
afirlortwo
Profile Joined April 2010
United States161 Posts
July 06 2010 18:30 GMT
#412
I have a relatively unique name, this would definitely not work well for me. Those with the names like "joe smith" wont have these changes affect them as much those with names like "alrik firl"
Just a momentary diversion on the road to the grave
Aikin
Profile Joined April 2010
Austria532 Posts
July 06 2010 18:31 GMT
#413
I really wounder what blizzard thought when they decided this. It might reduce stupid spams usw but it will also upset a lot of people who arn´t comfortable showing there real name in the forums. Personally I dont think its that much of a deal because well i dont post there anyways and I wouldnt care that much.
[A]dmiral Bulldog | Naniwa | [A]lliance
DTown
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States428 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-06 18:31:58
July 06 2010 18:31 GMT
#414
On July 07 2010 03:29 StarStruck wrote:
Cutos

= Kudos

= )
Kambing
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1176 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-06 18:32:55
July 06 2010 18:31 GMT
#415
On July 07 2010 03:23 thragar wrote:Either way, my point is that even if it is a bad idea, its effect is fairly minimal in terms of the game. If Blizzard isn't getting the necessary feedback anymore on their official forums, you can bet they'll revisit it or find some other method.


Practically speaking, yes. Most people won't be using the official forums so it will be a non-issue. But there is room for concern because

1) We were previously led to believe that RealIDs were going to be for friends only. Blizzard is setting the precedent that this will not be the case. Even if this is only for opt-in public content, ala the forums, there is rightful concern this might be extended even further, further limiting participation of those who prefer to keep their RealIDs private from said content.

2) The "other option", a choice of a pseudonym for one's battle.net account, is infeasible for a variety of reasons:

- Current battle.net accounts cannot change names without proof of an official name change.
- Many people have accounts loaded with blizzard games (e.g., wow accounts) that cannot be transferred to a new account.
- Even if you create a pseudonym battle.net account, recovery options for said account will not be available to you (e.g., if you get hacked) because they require proof of identification.
Hynda
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Sweden2226 Posts
July 06 2010 18:31 GMT
#416
I wonder how long it will take for someone to get beaten up or worse because some unstable idiot reads the forums. The reason why this shouldn't be on the forums is simply because you don't know who is going to read it, and you certainly don't know how that person would react. In real life you have the ability to actually moderate who hears you aswell as being able to judge the consequences before hand.

I've had my fair share of death threats over the internet, empty threats I'm sure but I'm also sure as hell that some of those people wouldn't hesitate to fight me if they got the chance to do so. The Internet is filled with way to many idiots for me to ever display my real name.
Archerofaiur
Profile Joined August 2008
United States4101 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-06 18:32:27
July 06 2010 18:32 GMT
#417
On July 07 2010 03:27 Kishime wrote:
My name is Jim O'Hearn. Have at me!!!!



A bunch of people like you have already made posts just like the one you made and a few posts later someone posts thier identifying info. I know you think your being clever. Your not.
http://sclegacy.com/news/28-scl/250-starcraftlegacy-macro-theorycrafting-contest-winners
shinosai
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1577 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-06 18:36:20
July 06 2010 18:32 GMT
#418
That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Seriously? I will definitely not be posting on the forums. I do not give out my real name except to people that I become friends with. Definitely have no desire to post with it. I don't like the idea of having to be exceptionally nice to everyone or else I could be "researched".

I think instead of blizzard game icons when we post they should just make it our facebook default to make it easier for everyone.
Be versatile, know when to retreat, and carry a big gun.
Deadlift
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States358 Posts
July 06 2010 18:33 GMT
#419
On July 07 2010 03:30 Myles wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 07 2010 03:27 Kishime wrote:
Who cares?

My name is Jim O'Hearn. Have at me!!!!

IMO, unless you are a complete troll who everyone hates, nobody is going to try to get your personal info or care what your name is.


And you doubt that those people exist? There's no doubt that something happening would be rare, but I guarantee that it will happen if this goes through.


I'm all for this if it causes any reduction in people acting like complete chodes on forums. What's wrong with people having repercussions for acting like jackasses?
StayFrosty
Profile Joined February 2010
Canada743 Posts
July 06 2010 18:33 GMT
#420
Well I can see this thread has become a clusterfuck of rage in a little over 2 hours.
Prev 1 19 20 21 22 23 153 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 4
Laughngamez YouTube
FEL
01:00
ScienceCraft Qualifier
IndyStarCraft 241
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
IndyStarCraft 241
BRAT_OK 71
MindelVK 10
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 27028
Mini 457
Hyuk 253
firebathero 183
ggaemo 121
Liquid`Ret 58
Mong 52
Hyun 41
Killer 35
PianO 25
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 23
Rock 16
Bale 9
Dota 2
Gorgc10444
qojqva1688
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1341
crisheroes1239
Liquid`Hasu750
Other Games
Grubby2613
FrodaN2187
fl0m1184
Beastyqt1039
Mlord425
KnowMe155
Livibee152
ArmadaUGS127
Mew2King61
Trikslyr47
ToD37
mouzStarbuck25
CosmosSc2 19
Chillindude15
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick981
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream39
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• printf 63
• StrangeGG 48
• mYiSmile119
• Adnapsc2 14
• LUISG 6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 7779
Other Games
• imaqtpie467
• Shiphtur292
• WagamamaTV233
Upcoming Events
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1h 18m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
16h 18m
INu's Battles
18h 18m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
21h 18m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 1h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 1h
Replay Cast
1d 6h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 16h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 17h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 22h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.