• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:11
CEST 13:11
KST 20:11
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20264Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
https://www.facebook.com/BreathiZen.USD/ ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6368 users

[ASL19] Grand Finals - Page 46

Forum Index > Brood War Tournaments
Post a Reply
Prev 1 44 45 46 47 48 51 Next
Recommended Games
+ Show Spoiler +
+ Show Spoiler [Game 1] +
Poll: Recommend Soulkey vs BeSt Game 1?

No (25)
 
93%

Yes (1)
 
4%

If you have time (1)
 
4%

27 total votes

Your vote: Recommend Soulkey vs BeSt Game 1?

(Vote): Yes
(Vote): No
(Vote): If you have time


+ Show Spoiler [Game 2] +
Poll: Recommend Soulkey vs BeSt Game 2?

If you have time (12)
 
57%

Yes (6)
 
29%

No (3)
 
14%

21 total votes

Your vote: Recommend Soulkey vs BeSt Game 2?

(Vote): Yes
(Vote): No
(Vote): If you have time


+ Show Spoiler [Game 3] +
Poll: Recommend Soulkey vs BeSt Game 3?

Yes (18)
 
78%

No (4)
 
17%

If you have time (1)
 
4%

23 total votes

Your vote: Recommend Soulkey vs BeSt Game 3?

(Vote): Yes
(Vote): No
(Vote): If you have time


+ Show Spoiler [Game 4] +
Poll: Recommend Soulkey vs BeSt Game 4?

Yes (28)
 
93%

If you have time (2)
 
7%

No (0)
 
0%

30 total votes

Your vote: Recommend Soulkey vs BeSt Game 4?

(Vote): Yes
(Vote): No
(Vote): If you have time


+ Show Spoiler [Game 5] +
Poll: Recommend Soulkey vs BeSt Game 5?

Yes (35)
 
97%

If you have time (1)
 
3%

No (0)
 
0%

36 total votes

Your vote: Recommend Soulkey vs BeSt Game 5?

(Vote): Yes
(Vote): No
(Vote): If you have time


+ Show Spoiler [Game 6] +
Poll: Recommend Soulkey vs BeSt Game 6?

Yes (30)
 
94%

No (1)
 
3%

If you have time (1)
 
3%

32 total votes

Your vote: Recommend Soulkey vs BeSt Game 6?

(Vote): Yes
(Vote): No
(Vote): If you have time


+ Show Spoiler [Game 7] +
Poll: Recommend Soulkey vs BeSt Game 7?

No (17)
 
46%

Yes (10)
 
27%

If you have time (10)
 
27%

37 total votes

Your vote: Recommend Soulkey vs BeSt Game 7?

(Vote): Yes
(Vote): No
(Vote): If you have time


LpTraxamillion
Profile Joined October 2020
265 Posts
June 05 2025 18:41 GMT
#901
On June 05 2025 19:07 Kyle8 wrote:
debating Kespa era is stupid IMO. the pros of today are old & washed up & the KESPA era folks would learn how to beat them & do the same strategies,

BUT

today's pros would win for sure until the meta caught up all those years of knowledge.....

people back then played such unoptimized crap


Yea bro soulkey and snow are so old and washed lol
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-06-05 20:29:18
June 05 2025 19:36 GMT
#902
On June 05 2025 23:26 iFU.pauline wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 05 2025 20:47 Bonyth wrote:
for some reasons people tend to think that you can close the gap in knowledge in a matter of days (when talking about teleporting kespa players to current tournaments)
also same people: foreigners cannot get in ASL because the knowledge gap is too big

We believe what we want to believe, huh?


How long do you think it would take to close the knowledge gap? Beside theory, I only have my own little experience. I have been away for 4 years, it took me 3 months to catch up with the new meta (and I am nowhere near a genius, actually I found myself pretty bad). The most difficult was zvp. Rest is pretty much similar.

Big picture stuff like the meta changes, probably not that long no.

At the very bleeding edge of the game, there’s a metric fuckton of optimisation and improvements over the years, that is basically everything. Every wee micro trick, optimal response, even something like mineral boosting.

I’d imagine that would take considerably longer, and elements of this are accelerated quite a bit in the post-Kespa, or I suppose you could say ‘open’ era.

Less so the ‘what?’, more the ‘how? or the ‘why?’ I guess is really the accelerant.

Soma is atypically good at mineral boosting (IIRC, BW experts can correct if I’m mistaken!) and just squeezes out a little more money to hit benchmarks slightly faster.

One can see from a VoD, ‘hey Soma has a bit more money’, clearly it is something possible as he’s doing it. What game mechanic he’s actually exploiting and how that works, not necessarily.

Whereas hey I’m Soma, ‘here’s a full guide with explanations of the mechanics on how I do that’, way more time-efficient.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Biff The Understudy
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
France8195 Posts
June 06 2025 20:03 GMT
#903
On June 06 2025 03:29 Timebon3s wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 06 2025 02:15 Bonyth wrote:
On June 05 2025 23:26 iFU.pauline wrote:
On June 05 2025 20:47 Bonyth wrote:
for some reasons people tend to think that you can close the gap in knowledge in a matter of days (when talking about teleporting kespa players to current tournaments)
also same people: foreigners cannot get in ASL because the knowledge gap is too big

We believe what we want to believe, huh?


How long do you think it would take to close the knowledge gap? Beside theory, I only have my own little experience. I have been away for 4 years, it took me 3 months to catch up with the new meta (and I am nowhere near a genius, actually I found myself pretty bad). The most difficult was zvp. Rest is pretty much similar.

Sure, if you compare yourself from the past to yourself from the present, it would seem that way. But if you had imaginable friends who were your equals these 4 years ago and they continuosly played starcraft, you would have had 20% win rate against them now. With time, going up to 30% and slowly and slowly up towards 50%.

Anyways, perhaps I shouldnt have written my post in the first place, as I don't know it myself for sure, but if gaining that knowledge gap was so easy, wouldnt we see more foreigners near ASL level? I think the likes of Draco or Nony had the speed, multitasking, mechanics on top level, so what was really holding them from matching, or even touching, top korean level of play? Is it just that they were worse in the aspects above? Or was it more about game knowledge? (game knowledge = decisions that you make based on what you see and understanding what needs to be done to increase your odds for winning). I believe it's game knowledge and time they would have to invest to get to top kor level.

According to Nony, the reason he didn’t reach his full potential in Korea, was because all they did was grind games 12 hours a day.
He didn’t really get to learn more from Koreans.
So yes, it was game knowledge as far as I understand.
Interestingly Idra thought it was good practice.

They talk about it around 30 minutes here:



I really don’t think consistently practicing anything 12 hours a day is a productive way to learn.

I’m quite certain that 6 hours a day with method and a fresh mindset would get anyone further than 12 hours being miserable and just binging games.
The fellow who is out to burn things up is the counterpart of the fool who thinks he can save the world. The world needs neither to be burned up nor to be saved. The world is, we are. Transients, if we buck it; here to stay if we accept it. ~H.Miller
mtcn77
Profile Joined September 2013
Turkey729 Posts
June 06 2025 20:11 GMT
#904
On June 07 2025 05:03 Biff The Understudy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 06 2025 03:29 Timebon3s wrote:
On June 06 2025 02:15 Bonyth wrote:
On June 05 2025 23:26 iFU.pauline wrote:
On June 05 2025 20:47 Bonyth wrote:
for some reasons people tend to think that you can close the gap in knowledge in a matter of days (when talking about teleporting kespa players to current tournaments)
also same people: foreigners cannot get in ASL because the knowledge gap is too big

We believe what we want to believe, huh?


How long do you think it would take to close the knowledge gap? Beside theory, I only have my own little experience. I have been away for 4 years, it took me 3 months to catch up with the new meta (and I am nowhere near a genius, actually I found myself pretty bad). The most difficult was zvp. Rest is pretty much similar.

Sure, if you compare yourself from the past to yourself from the present, it would seem that way. But if you had imaginable friends who were your equals these 4 years ago and they continuosly played starcraft, you would have had 20% win rate against them now. With time, going up to 30% and slowly and slowly up towards 50%.

Anyways, perhaps I shouldnt have written my post in the first place, as I don't know it myself for sure, but if gaining that knowledge gap was so easy, wouldnt we see more foreigners near ASL level? I think the likes of Draco or Nony had the speed, multitasking, mechanics on top level, so what was really holding them from matching, or even touching, top korean level of play? Is it just that they were worse in the aspects above? Or was it more about game knowledge? (game knowledge = decisions that you make based on what you see and understanding what needs to be done to increase your odds for winning). I believe it's game knowledge and time they would have to invest to get to top kor level.

According to Nony, the reason he didn’t reach his full potential in Korea, was because all they did was grind games 12 hours a day.
He didn’t really get to learn more from Koreans.
So yes, it was game knowledge as far as I understand.
Interestingly Idra thought it was good practice.

They talk about it around 30 minutes here:

https://youtu.be/4B_DhT3SrXo?si=91MTD8O5ZjangPe_

I really don’t think consistently practicing anything 12 hours a day is a productive way to learn.

I’m quite certain that 6 hours a day with method and a fresh mindset would get anyone further than 12 hours being miserable and just binging games.

You are not accounting for time. Those were teenagers back then. You can work teenagers on sugar drinks alone. Today you cannot get them to play well with a bad sleep the night prior.
Turrican
Timebon3s
Profile Joined May 2018
Norway772 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-06-06 23:25:40
June 06 2025 23:25 GMT
#905
It’s also different for each player.
Nony said that style didn’t suit him at all where as Idra said it did.
Terran is extremely mechanically difficult, so that may be why he responded better to that kind of training.


Anyway, the Koreans were so incredibly far ahead of the rest of us, so while it’s not sustainable for the long run, there must have been something to it. And who are we to criticize that when we have no results to support it.
Biff The Understudy
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
France8195 Posts
June 07 2025 05:01 GMT
#906
On June 07 2025 05:11 mtcn77 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2025 05:03 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On June 06 2025 03:29 Timebon3s wrote:
On June 06 2025 02:15 Bonyth wrote:
On June 05 2025 23:26 iFU.pauline wrote:
On June 05 2025 20:47 Bonyth wrote:
for some reasons people tend to think that you can close the gap in knowledge in a matter of days (when talking about teleporting kespa players to current tournaments)
also same people: foreigners cannot get in ASL because the knowledge gap is too big

We believe what we want to believe, huh?


How long do you think it would take to close the knowledge gap? Beside theory, I only have my own little experience. I have been away for 4 years, it took me 3 months to catch up with the new meta (and I am nowhere near a genius, actually I found myself pretty bad). The most difficult was zvp. Rest is pretty much similar.

Sure, if you compare yourself from the past to yourself from the present, it would seem that way. But if you had imaginable friends who were your equals these 4 years ago and they continuosly played starcraft, you would have had 20% win rate against them now. With time, going up to 30% and slowly and slowly up towards 50%.

Anyways, perhaps I shouldnt have written my post in the first place, as I don't know it myself for sure, but if gaining that knowledge gap was so easy, wouldnt we see more foreigners near ASL level? I think the likes of Draco or Nony had the speed, multitasking, mechanics on top level, so what was really holding them from matching, or even touching, top korean level of play? Is it just that they were worse in the aspects above? Or was it more about game knowledge? (game knowledge = decisions that you make based on what you see and understanding what needs to be done to increase your odds for winning). I believe it's game knowledge and time they would have to invest to get to top kor level.

According to Nony, the reason he didn’t reach his full potential in Korea, was because all they did was grind games 12 hours a day.
He didn’t really get to learn more from Koreans.
So yes, it was game knowledge as far as I understand.
Interestingly Idra thought it was good practice.

They talk about it around 30 minutes here:

https://youtu.be/4B_DhT3SrXo?si=91MTD8O5ZjangPe_

I really don’t think consistently practicing anything 12 hours a day is a productive way to learn.

I’m quite certain that 6 hours a day with method and a fresh mindset would get anyone further than 12 hours being miserable and just binging games.

You are not accounting for time. Those were teenagers back then. You can work teenagers on sugar drinks alone. Today you cannot get them to play well with a bad sleep the night prior.

That’s not the point. What i mean is you don’t learn very efficiently by doing something 12 hours a day. Conscious, focused practice is infinitely superior as a way to improve. No one becomes a concert pianist but just playing mindlessly 12 hours a day. They do very conscious practice, scales, exercises, studies, practice slowly, etc.

Esports are a young discipline, and the way they are approached is very primitive imo. The simple fact that no one practices StarCraft slowly, for example, tells you all you need to know.
The fellow who is out to burn things up is the counterpart of the fool who thinks he can save the world. The world needs neither to be burned up nor to be saved. The world is, we are. Transients, if we buck it; here to stay if we accept it. ~H.Miller
mtcn77
Profile Joined September 2013
Turkey729 Posts
June 07 2025 06:35 GMT
#907
On June 07 2025 14:01 Biff The Understudy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2025 05:11 mtcn77 wrote:
On June 07 2025 05:03 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On June 06 2025 03:29 Timebon3s wrote:
On June 06 2025 02:15 Bonyth wrote:
On June 05 2025 23:26 iFU.pauline wrote:
On June 05 2025 20:47 Bonyth wrote:
for some reasons people tend to think that you can close the gap in knowledge in a matter of days (when talking about teleporting kespa players to current tournaments)
also same people: foreigners cannot get in ASL because the knowledge gap is too big

We believe what we want to believe, huh?


How long do you think it would take to close the knowledge gap? Beside theory, I only have my own little experience. I have been away for 4 years, it took me 3 months to catch up with the new meta (and I am nowhere near a genius, actually I found myself pretty bad). The most difficult was zvp. Rest is pretty much similar.

Sure, if you compare yourself from the past to yourself from the present, it would seem that way. But if you had imaginable friends who were your equals these 4 years ago and they continuosly played starcraft, you would have had 20% win rate against them now. With time, going up to 30% and slowly and slowly up towards 50%.

Anyways, perhaps I shouldnt have written my post in the first place, as I don't know it myself for sure, but if gaining that knowledge gap was so easy, wouldnt we see more foreigners near ASL level? I think the likes of Draco or Nony had the speed, multitasking, mechanics on top level, so what was really holding them from matching, or even touching, top korean level of play? Is it just that they were worse in the aspects above? Or was it more about game knowledge? (game knowledge = decisions that you make based on what you see and understanding what needs to be done to increase your odds for winning). I believe it's game knowledge and time they would have to invest to get to top kor level.

According to Nony, the reason he didn’t reach his full potential in Korea, was because all they did was grind games 12 hours a day.
He didn’t really get to learn more from Koreans.
So yes, it was game knowledge as far as I understand.
Interestingly Idra thought it was good practice.

They talk about it around 30 minutes here:

https://youtu.be/4B_DhT3SrXo?si=91MTD8O5ZjangPe_

I really don’t think consistently practicing anything 12 hours a day is a productive way to learn.

I’m quite certain that 6 hours a day with method and a fresh mindset would get anyone further than 12 hours being miserable and just binging games.

You are not accounting for time. Those were teenagers back then. You can work teenagers on sugar drinks alone. Today you cannot get them to play well with a bad sleep the night prior.

That’s not the point. What i mean is you don’t learn very efficiently by doing something 12 hours a day. Conscious, focused practice is infinitely superior as a way to improve. No one becomes a concert pianist but just playing mindlessly 12 hours a day. They do very conscious practice, scales, exercises, studies, practice slowly, etc.

Esports are a young discipline, and the way they are approached is very primitive imo. The simple fact that no one practices StarCraft slowly, for example, tells you all you need to know.

Practice Starcraft slowly, what does that mean? The fact stands there is a huge resemblance between how Jaedong and my camping coach started basketball. Jaedong survived the qualifiers, I forgot the name. My camping coach said they couldn't win a game for two years. His star youth team was put against two year older players as qualification.
Turrican
Magic Powers
Profile Joined April 2012
Austria4478 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-06-07 09:12:35
June 07 2025 09:12 GMT
#908
On June 07 2025 15:35 mtcn77 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2025 14:01 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On June 07 2025 05:11 mtcn77 wrote:
On June 07 2025 05:03 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On June 06 2025 03:29 Timebon3s wrote:
On June 06 2025 02:15 Bonyth wrote:
On June 05 2025 23:26 iFU.pauline wrote:
On June 05 2025 20:47 Bonyth wrote:
for some reasons people tend to think that you can close the gap in knowledge in a matter of days (when talking about teleporting kespa players to current tournaments)
also same people: foreigners cannot get in ASL because the knowledge gap is too big

We believe what we want to believe, huh?


How long do you think it would take to close the knowledge gap? Beside theory, I only have my own little experience. I have been away for 4 years, it took me 3 months to catch up with the new meta (and I am nowhere near a genius, actually I found myself pretty bad). The most difficult was zvp. Rest is pretty much similar.

Sure, if you compare yourself from the past to yourself from the present, it would seem that way. But if you had imaginable friends who were your equals these 4 years ago and they continuosly played starcraft, you would have had 20% win rate against them now. With time, going up to 30% and slowly and slowly up towards 50%.

Anyways, perhaps I shouldnt have written my post in the first place, as I don't know it myself for sure, but if gaining that knowledge gap was so easy, wouldnt we see more foreigners near ASL level? I think the likes of Draco or Nony had the speed, multitasking, mechanics on top level, so what was really holding them from matching, or even touching, top korean level of play? Is it just that they were worse in the aspects above? Or was it more about game knowledge? (game knowledge = decisions that you make based on what you see and understanding what needs to be done to increase your odds for winning). I believe it's game knowledge and time they would have to invest to get to top kor level.

According to Nony, the reason he didn’t reach his full potential in Korea, was because all they did was grind games 12 hours a day.
He didn’t really get to learn more from Koreans.
So yes, it was game knowledge as far as I understand.
Interestingly Idra thought it was good practice.

They talk about it around 30 minutes here:

https://youtu.be/4B_DhT3SrXo?si=91MTD8O5ZjangPe_

I really don’t think consistently practicing anything 12 hours a day is a productive way to learn.

I’m quite certain that 6 hours a day with method and a fresh mindset would get anyone further than 12 hours being miserable and just binging games.

You are not accounting for time. Those were teenagers back then. You can work teenagers on sugar drinks alone. Today you cannot get them to play well with a bad sleep the night prior.

That’s not the point. What i mean is you don’t learn very efficiently by doing something 12 hours a day. Conscious, focused practice is infinitely superior as a way to improve. No one becomes a concert pianist but just playing mindlessly 12 hours a day. They do very conscious practice, scales, exercises, studies, practice slowly, etc.

Esports are a young discipline, and the way they are approached is very primitive imo. The simple fact that no one practices StarCraft slowly, for example, tells you all you need to know.

Practice Starcraft slowly, what does that mean? The fact stands there is a huge resemblance between how Jaedong and my camping coach started basketball. Jaedong survived the qualifiers, I forgot the name. My camping coach said they couldn't win a game for two years. His star youth team was put against two year older players as qualification.


SC has a speed option. You can literally practice things more slowly if you can't do them faster.
If you want to do the right thing, 80% of your job is done if you don't do the wrong thing.
mtcn77
Profile Joined September 2013
Turkey729 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-06-07 09:34:55
June 07 2025 09:34 GMT
#909
On June 07 2025 18:12 Magic Powers wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2025 15:35 mtcn77 wrote:
On June 07 2025 14:01 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On June 07 2025 05:11 mtcn77 wrote:
On June 07 2025 05:03 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On June 06 2025 03:29 Timebon3s wrote:
On June 06 2025 02:15 Bonyth wrote:
On June 05 2025 23:26 iFU.pauline wrote:
On June 05 2025 20:47 Bonyth wrote:
for some reasons people tend to think that you can close the gap in knowledge in a matter of days (when talking about teleporting kespa players to current tournaments)
also same people: foreigners cannot get in ASL because the knowledge gap is too big

We believe what we want to believe, huh?


How long do you think it would take to close the knowledge gap? Beside theory, I only have my own little experience. I have been away for 4 years, it took me 3 months to catch up with the new meta (and I am nowhere near a genius, actually I found myself pretty bad). The most difficult was zvp. Rest is pretty much similar.

Sure, if you compare yourself from the past to yourself from the present, it would seem that way. But if you had imaginable friends who were your equals these 4 years ago and they continuosly played starcraft, you would have had 20% win rate against them now. With time, going up to 30% and slowly and slowly up towards 50%.

Anyways, perhaps I shouldnt have written my post in the first place, as I don't know it myself for sure, but if gaining that knowledge gap was so easy, wouldnt we see more foreigners near ASL level? I think the likes of Draco or Nony had the speed, multitasking, mechanics on top level, so what was really holding them from matching, or even touching, top korean level of play? Is it just that they were worse in the aspects above? Or was it more about game knowledge? (game knowledge = decisions that you make based on what you see and understanding what needs to be done to increase your odds for winning). I believe it's game knowledge and time they would have to invest to get to top kor level.

According to Nony, the reason he didn’t reach his full potential in Korea, was because all they did was grind games 12 hours a day.
He didn’t really get to learn more from Koreans.
So yes, it was game knowledge as far as I understand.
Interestingly Idra thought it was good practice.

They talk about it around 30 minutes here:

https://youtu.be/4B_DhT3SrXo?si=91MTD8O5ZjangPe_

I really don’t think consistently practicing anything 12 hours a day is a productive way to learn.

I’m quite certain that 6 hours a day with method and a fresh mindset would get anyone further than 12 hours being miserable and just binging games.

You are not accounting for time. Those were teenagers back then. You can work teenagers on sugar drinks alone. Today you cannot get them to play well with a bad sleep the night prior.

That’s not the point. What i mean is you don’t learn very efficiently by doing something 12 hours a day. Conscious, focused practice is infinitely superior as a way to improve. No one becomes a concert pianist but just playing mindlessly 12 hours a day. They do very conscious practice, scales, exercises, studies, practice slowly, etc.

Esports are a young discipline, and the way they are approached is very primitive imo. The simple fact that no one practices StarCraft slowly, for example, tells you all you need to know.

Practice Starcraft slowly, what does that mean? The fact stands there is a huge resemblance between how Jaedong and my camping coach started basketball. Jaedong survived the qualifiers, I forgot the name. My camping coach said they couldn't win a game for two years. His star youth team was put against two year older players as qualification.


SC has a speed option. You can literally practice things more slowly if you can't do them faster.

Yeah, right. Any more brilliant ideas? Next, we play tournaments at slow? How about offline against the computer. See who wins fastest in the slowest speed. Turtle against the rabbit race.
PS: mechanical speed is what makes Starcraft special. We could play Starcraft 2, but we don't.
Turrican
Magic Powers
Profile Joined April 2012
Austria4478 Posts
June 07 2025 09:48 GMT
#910
On June 07 2025 18:34 mtcn77 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2025 18:12 Magic Powers wrote:
On June 07 2025 15:35 mtcn77 wrote:
On June 07 2025 14:01 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On June 07 2025 05:11 mtcn77 wrote:
On June 07 2025 05:03 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On June 06 2025 03:29 Timebon3s wrote:
On June 06 2025 02:15 Bonyth wrote:
On June 05 2025 23:26 iFU.pauline wrote:
On June 05 2025 20:47 Bonyth wrote:
for some reasons people tend to think that you can close the gap in knowledge in a matter of days (when talking about teleporting kespa players to current tournaments)
also same people: foreigners cannot get in ASL because the knowledge gap is too big

We believe what we want to believe, huh?


How long do you think it would take to close the knowledge gap? Beside theory, I only have my own little experience. I have been away for 4 years, it took me 3 months to catch up with the new meta (and I am nowhere near a genius, actually I found myself pretty bad). The most difficult was zvp. Rest is pretty much similar.

Sure, if you compare yourself from the past to yourself from the present, it would seem that way. But if you had imaginable friends who were your equals these 4 years ago and they continuosly played starcraft, you would have had 20% win rate against them now. With time, going up to 30% and slowly and slowly up towards 50%.

Anyways, perhaps I shouldnt have written my post in the first place, as I don't know it myself for sure, but if gaining that knowledge gap was so easy, wouldnt we see more foreigners near ASL level? I think the likes of Draco or Nony had the speed, multitasking, mechanics on top level, so what was really holding them from matching, or even touching, top korean level of play? Is it just that they were worse in the aspects above? Or was it more about game knowledge? (game knowledge = decisions that you make based on what you see and understanding what needs to be done to increase your odds for winning). I believe it's game knowledge and time they would have to invest to get to top kor level.

According to Nony, the reason he didn’t reach his full potential in Korea, was because all they did was grind games 12 hours a day.
He didn’t really get to learn more from Koreans.
So yes, it was game knowledge as far as I understand.
Interestingly Idra thought it was good practice.

They talk about it around 30 minutes here:

https://youtu.be/4B_DhT3SrXo?si=91MTD8O5ZjangPe_

I really don’t think consistently practicing anything 12 hours a day is a productive way to learn.

I’m quite certain that 6 hours a day with method and a fresh mindset would get anyone further than 12 hours being miserable and just binging games.

You are not accounting for time. Those were teenagers back then. You can work teenagers on sugar drinks alone. Today you cannot get them to play well with a bad sleep the night prior.

That’s not the point. What i mean is you don’t learn very efficiently by doing something 12 hours a day. Conscious, focused practice is infinitely superior as a way to improve. No one becomes a concert pianist but just playing mindlessly 12 hours a day. They do very conscious practice, scales, exercises, studies, practice slowly, etc.

Esports are a young discipline, and the way they are approached is very primitive imo. The simple fact that no one practices StarCraft slowly, for example, tells you all you need to know.

Practice Starcraft slowly, what does that mean? The fact stands there is a huge resemblance between how Jaedong and my camping coach started basketball. Jaedong survived the qualifiers, I forgot the name. My camping coach said they couldn't win a game for two years. His star youth team was put against two year older players as qualification.


SC has a speed option. You can literally practice things more slowly if you can't do them faster.

Yeah, right. Any more brilliant ideas? Next, we play tournaments at slow? How about offline against the computer. See who wins fastest in the slowest speed. Turtle against the rabbit race.
PS: mechanical speed is what makes Starcraft special. We could play Starcraft 2, but we don't.


The suggestion was about practice, not tournaments.
If you want to do the right thing, 80% of your job is done if you don't do the wrong thing.
mtcn77
Profile Joined September 2013
Turkey729 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-06-07 09:58:43
June 07 2025 09:54 GMT
#911
On June 07 2025 18:48 Magic Powers wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2025 18:34 mtcn77 wrote:
On June 07 2025 18:12 Magic Powers wrote:
On June 07 2025 15:35 mtcn77 wrote:
On June 07 2025 14:01 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On June 07 2025 05:11 mtcn77 wrote:
On June 07 2025 05:03 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On June 06 2025 03:29 Timebon3s wrote:
On June 06 2025 02:15 Bonyth wrote:
On June 05 2025 23:26 iFU.pauline wrote:
[quote]

How long do you think it would take to close the knowledge gap? Beside theory, I only have my own little experience. I have been away for 4 years, it took me 3 months to catch up with the new meta (and I am nowhere near a genius, actually I found myself pretty bad). The most difficult was zvp. Rest is pretty much similar.

Sure, if you compare yourself from the past to yourself from the present, it would seem that way. But if you had imaginable friends who were your equals these 4 years ago and they continuosly played starcraft, you would have had 20% win rate against them now. With time, going up to 30% and slowly and slowly up towards 50%.

Anyways, perhaps I shouldnt have written my post in the first place, as I don't know it myself for sure, but if gaining that knowledge gap was so easy, wouldnt we see more foreigners near ASL level? I think the likes of Draco or Nony had the speed, multitasking, mechanics on top level, so what was really holding them from matching, or even touching, top korean level of play? Is it just that they were worse in the aspects above? Or was it more about game knowledge? (game knowledge = decisions that you make based on what you see and understanding what needs to be done to increase your odds for winning). I believe it's game knowledge and time they would have to invest to get to top kor level.

According to Nony, the reason he didn’t reach his full potential in Korea, was because all they did was grind games 12 hours a day.
He didn’t really get to learn more from Koreans.
So yes, it was game knowledge as far as I understand.
Interestingly Idra thought it was good practice.

They talk about it around 30 minutes here:

https://youtu.be/4B_DhT3SrXo?si=91MTD8O5ZjangPe_

I really don’t think consistently practicing anything 12 hours a day is a productive way to learn.

I’m quite certain that 6 hours a day with method and a fresh mindset would get anyone further than 12 hours being miserable and just binging games.

You are not accounting for time. Those were teenagers back then. You can work teenagers on sugar drinks alone. Today you cannot get them to play well with a bad sleep the night prior.

That’s not the point. What i mean is you don’t learn very efficiently by doing something 12 hours a day. Conscious, focused practice is infinitely superior as a way to improve. No one becomes a concert pianist but just playing mindlessly 12 hours a day. They do very conscious practice, scales, exercises, studies, practice slowly, etc.

Esports are a young discipline, and the way they are approached is very primitive imo. The simple fact that no one practices StarCraft slowly, for example, tells you all you need to know.

Practice Starcraft slowly, what does that mean? The fact stands there is a huge resemblance between how Jaedong and my camping coach started basketball. Jaedong survived the qualifiers, I forgot the name. My camping coach said they couldn't win a game for two years. His star youth team was put against two year older players as qualification.


SC has a speed option. You can literally practice things more slowly if you can't do them faster.

Yeah, right. Any more brilliant ideas? Next, we play tournaments at slow? How about offline against the computer. See who wins fastest in the slowest speed. Turtle against the rabbit race.
PS: mechanical speed is what makes Starcraft special. We could play Starcraft 2, but we don't.


The suggestion was about practice, not tournaments.

If your suggestion was everyone ought to practice like Mini I would say yes. Otherwise, this is supposed to be practice, not casual.
Turrican
Magic Powers
Profile Joined April 2012
Austria4478 Posts
June 07 2025 10:40 GMT
#912
On June 07 2025 18:54 mtcn77 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2025 18:48 Magic Powers wrote:
On June 07 2025 18:34 mtcn77 wrote:
On June 07 2025 18:12 Magic Powers wrote:
On June 07 2025 15:35 mtcn77 wrote:
On June 07 2025 14:01 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On June 07 2025 05:11 mtcn77 wrote:
On June 07 2025 05:03 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On June 06 2025 03:29 Timebon3s wrote:
On June 06 2025 02:15 Bonyth wrote:
[quote]
Sure, if you compare yourself from the past to yourself from the present, it would seem that way. But if you had imaginable friends who were your equals these 4 years ago and they continuosly played starcraft, you would have had 20% win rate against them now. With time, going up to 30% and slowly and slowly up towards 50%.

Anyways, perhaps I shouldnt have written my post in the first place, as I don't know it myself for sure, but if gaining that knowledge gap was so easy, wouldnt we see more foreigners near ASL level? I think the likes of Draco or Nony had the speed, multitasking, mechanics on top level, so what was really holding them from matching, or even touching, top korean level of play? Is it just that they were worse in the aspects above? Or was it more about game knowledge? (game knowledge = decisions that you make based on what you see and understanding what needs to be done to increase your odds for winning). I believe it's game knowledge and time they would have to invest to get to top kor level.

According to Nony, the reason he didn’t reach his full potential in Korea, was because all they did was grind games 12 hours a day.
He didn’t really get to learn more from Koreans.
So yes, it was game knowledge as far as I understand.
Interestingly Idra thought it was good practice.

They talk about it around 30 minutes here:

https://youtu.be/4B_DhT3SrXo?si=91MTD8O5ZjangPe_

I really don’t think consistently practicing anything 12 hours a day is a productive way to learn.

I’m quite certain that 6 hours a day with method and a fresh mindset would get anyone further than 12 hours being miserable and just binging games.

You are not accounting for time. Those were teenagers back then. You can work teenagers on sugar drinks alone. Today you cannot get them to play well with a bad sleep the night prior.

That’s not the point. What i mean is you don’t learn very efficiently by doing something 12 hours a day. Conscious, focused practice is infinitely superior as a way to improve. No one becomes a concert pianist but just playing mindlessly 12 hours a day. They do very conscious practice, scales, exercises, studies, practice slowly, etc.

Esports are a young discipline, and the way they are approached is very primitive imo. The simple fact that no one practices StarCraft slowly, for example, tells you all you need to know.

Practice Starcraft slowly, what does that mean? The fact stands there is a huge resemblance between how Jaedong and my camping coach started basketball. Jaedong survived the qualifiers, I forgot the name. My camping coach said they couldn't win a game for two years. His star youth team was put against two year older players as qualification.


SC has a speed option. You can literally practice things more slowly if you can't do them faster.

Yeah, right. Any more brilliant ideas? Next, we play tournaments at slow? How about offline against the computer. See who wins fastest in the slowest speed. Turtle against the rabbit race.
PS: mechanical speed is what makes Starcraft special. We could play Starcraft 2, but we don't.


The suggestion was about practice, not tournaments.

If your suggestion was everyone ought to practice like Mini I would say yes. Otherwise, this is supposed to be practice, not casual.


What are we arguing about?
If you want to do the right thing, 80% of your job is done if you don't do the wrong thing.
Biff The Understudy
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
France8195 Posts
June 07 2025 11:08 GMT
#913
On June 07 2025 15:35 mtcn77 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2025 14:01 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On June 07 2025 05:11 mtcn77 wrote:
On June 07 2025 05:03 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On June 06 2025 03:29 Timebon3s wrote:
On June 06 2025 02:15 Bonyth wrote:
On June 05 2025 23:26 iFU.pauline wrote:
On June 05 2025 20:47 Bonyth wrote:
for some reasons people tend to think that you can close the gap in knowledge in a matter of days (when talking about teleporting kespa players to current tournaments)
also same people: foreigners cannot get in ASL because the knowledge gap is too big

We believe what we want to believe, huh?


How long do you think it would take to close the knowledge gap? Beside theory, I only have my own little experience. I have been away for 4 years, it took me 3 months to catch up with the new meta (and I am nowhere near a genius, actually I found myself pretty bad). The most difficult was zvp. Rest is pretty much similar.

Sure, if you compare yourself from the past to yourself from the present, it would seem that way. But if you had imaginable friends who were your equals these 4 years ago and they continuosly played starcraft, you would have had 20% win rate against them now. With time, going up to 30% and slowly and slowly up towards 50%.

Anyways, perhaps I shouldnt have written my post in the first place, as I don't know it myself for sure, but if gaining that knowledge gap was so easy, wouldnt we see more foreigners near ASL level? I think the likes of Draco or Nony had the speed, multitasking, mechanics on top level, so what was really holding them from matching, or even touching, top korean level of play? Is it just that they were worse in the aspects above? Or was it more about game knowledge? (game knowledge = decisions that you make based on what you see and understanding what needs to be done to increase your odds for winning). I believe it's game knowledge and time they would have to invest to get to top kor level.

According to Nony, the reason he didn’t reach his full potential in Korea, was because all they did was grind games 12 hours a day.
He didn’t really get to learn more from Koreans.
So yes, it was game knowledge as far as I understand.
Interestingly Idra thought it was good practice.

They talk about it around 30 minutes here:

https://youtu.be/4B_DhT3SrXo?si=91MTD8O5ZjangPe_

I really don’t think consistently practicing anything 12 hours a day is a productive way to learn.

I’m quite certain that 6 hours a day with method and a fresh mindset would get anyone further than 12 hours being miserable and just binging games.

You are not accounting for time. Those were teenagers back then. You can work teenagers on sugar drinks alone. Today you cannot get them to play well with a bad sleep the night prior.

That’s not the point. What i mean is you don’t learn very efficiently by doing something 12 hours a day. Conscious, focused practice is infinitely superior as a way to improve. No one becomes a concert pianist but just playing mindlessly 12 hours a day. They do very conscious practice, scales, exercises, studies, practice slowly, etc.

Esports are a young discipline, and the way they are approached is very primitive imo. The simple fact that no one practices StarCraft slowly, for example, tells you all you need to know.

Practice Starcraft slowly, what does that mean? The fact stands there is a huge resemblance between how Jaedong and my camping coach started basketball. Jaedong survived the qualifiers, I forgot the name. My camping coach said they couldn't win a game for two years. His star youth team was put against two year older players as qualification.

If you want your brain to learn very fast, very well coordinated movements very well, you need to do them very slowly, very relaxed, very controlled at a very slow tempo, and increase progressively the speed. Every single musician knows that.

Playing starcraft is on a mechanical level not so different from playing a hard piece of piano.

If I were to coach someone, i would put the game settings on very slow, and play very clearly, with absolutely zero tension, and zero unnecessary movement.

I know for a fact it would bring better results in a fraction of the practice time, and prevent injuries later down the line.
The fellow who is out to burn things up is the counterpart of the fool who thinks he can save the world. The world needs neither to be burned up nor to be saved. The world is, we are. Transients, if we buck it; here to stay if we accept it. ~H.Miller
iFU.pauline
Profile Joined September 2009
France1775 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-06-07 12:15:06
June 07 2025 12:09 GMT
#914
On June 06 2025 02:15 Bonyth wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 05 2025 23:26 iFU.pauline wrote:
On June 05 2025 20:47 Bonyth wrote:
for some reasons people tend to think that you can close the gap in knowledge in a matter of days (when talking about teleporting kespa players to current tournaments)
also same people: foreigners cannot get in ASL because the knowledge gap is too big

We believe what we want to believe, huh?


How long do you think it would take to close the knowledge gap? Beside theory, I only have my own little experience. I have been away for 4 years, it took me 3 months to catch up with the new meta (and I am nowhere near a genius, actually I found myself pretty bad). The most difficult was zvp. Rest is pretty much similar.

Sure, if you compare yourself from the past to yourself from the present, it would seem that way. But if you had imaginable friends who were your equals these 4 years ago and they continuosly played starcraft, you would have had 20% win rate against them now. With time, going up to 30% and slowly and slowly up towards 50%.

Anyways, perhaps I shouldnt have written my post in the first place, as I don't know it myself for sure, but if gaining that knowledge gap was so easy, wouldnt we see more foreigners near ASL level? I think the likes of Draco or Nony had the speed, multitasking, mechanics on top level, so what was really holding them from matching, or even touching, top korean level of play? Is it just that they were worse in the aspects above? Or was it more about game knowledge? (game knowledge = decisions that you make based on what you see and understanding what needs to be done to increase your odds for winning). I believe it's game knowledge and time they would have to invest to get to top kor level.


Well, you have a point here, it is true that closing up with other opponent that used to be your equal and continued to play, and are still playing might take longer than 3 months. I am currently experiencing it.
No coward soul is mine, No trembler in the world's storm-troubled sphere, I see Heaven's glories shine, And Faith shines equal arming me from Fear
iFU.pauline
Profile Joined September 2009
France1775 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-06-07 12:10:36
June 07 2025 12:10 GMT
#915
miss post.
No coward soul is mine, No trembler in the world's storm-troubled sphere, I see Heaven's glories shine, And Faith shines equal arming me from Fear
mtcn77
Profile Joined September 2013
Turkey729 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-06-07 13:27:47
June 07 2025 12:56 GMT
#916
On June 07 2025 20:08 Biff The Understudy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2025 15:35 mtcn77 wrote:
On June 07 2025 14:01 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On June 07 2025 05:11 mtcn77 wrote:
On June 07 2025 05:03 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On June 06 2025 03:29 Timebon3s wrote:
On June 06 2025 02:15 Bonyth wrote:
On June 05 2025 23:26 iFU.pauline wrote:
On June 05 2025 20:47 Bonyth wrote:
for some reasons people tend to think that you can close the gap in knowledge in a matter of days (when talking about teleporting kespa players to current tournaments)
also same people: foreigners cannot get in ASL because the knowledge gap is too big

We believe what we want to believe, huh?


How long do you think it would take to close the knowledge gap? Beside theory, I only have my own little experience. I have been away for 4 years, it took me 3 months to catch up with the new meta (and I am nowhere near a genius, actually I found myself pretty bad). The most difficult was zvp. Rest is pretty much similar.

Sure, if you compare yourself from the past to yourself from the present, it would seem that way. But if you had imaginable friends who were your equals these 4 years ago and they continuosly played starcraft, you would have had 20% win rate against them now. With time, going up to 30% and slowly and slowly up towards 50%.

Anyways, perhaps I shouldnt have written my post in the first place, as I don't know it myself for sure, but if gaining that knowledge gap was so easy, wouldnt we see more foreigners near ASL level? I think the likes of Draco or Nony had the speed, multitasking, mechanics on top level, so what was really holding them from matching, or even touching, top korean level of play? Is it just that they were worse in the aspects above? Or was it more about game knowledge? (game knowledge = decisions that you make based on what you see and understanding what needs to be done to increase your odds for winning). I believe it's game knowledge and time they would have to invest to get to top kor level.

According to Nony, the reason he didn’t reach his full potential in Korea, was because all they did was grind games 12 hours a day.
He didn’t really get to learn more from Koreans.
So yes, it was game knowledge as far as I understand.
Interestingly Idra thought it was good practice.

They talk about it around 30 minutes here:

https://youtu.be/4B_DhT3SrXo?si=91MTD8O5ZjangPe_

I really don’t think consistently practicing anything 12 hours a day is a productive way to learn.

I’m quite certain that 6 hours a day with method and a fresh mindset would get anyone further than 12 hours being miserable and just binging games.

You are not accounting for time. Those were teenagers back then. You can work teenagers on sugar drinks alone. Today you cannot get them to play well with a bad sleep the night prior.

That’s not the point. What i mean is you don’t learn very efficiently by doing something 12 hours a day. Conscious, focused practice is infinitely superior as a way to improve. No one becomes a concert pianist but just playing mindlessly 12 hours a day. They do very conscious practice, scales, exercises, studies, practice slowly, etc.

Esports are a young discipline, and the way they are approached is very primitive imo. The simple fact that no one practices StarCraft slowly, for example, tells you all you need to know.

Practice Starcraft slowly, what does that mean? The fact stands there is a huge resemblance between how Jaedong and my camping coach started basketball. Jaedong survived the qualifiers, I forgot the name. My camping coach said they couldn't win a game for two years. His star youth team was put against two year older players as qualification.

If you want your brain to learn very fast, very well coordinated movements very well, you need to do them very slowly, very relaxed, very controlled at a very slow tempo, and increase progressively the speed. Every single musician knows that.

Playing starcraft is on a mechanical level not so different from playing a hard piece of piano.

If I were to coach someone, i would put the game settings on very slow, and play very clearly, with absolutely zero tension, and zero unnecessary movement.

I know for a fact it would bring better results in a fraction of the practice time, and prevent injuries later down the line.

Yes, but we are not learning to play the harmonica, or exercising to gain muscle mass without losing range of motion. This is Starcraft. It has a batch input structure with 0.5 second buffer. If you are not up to speed, you won't be able to dodge lurkers with marines. That is not smart, that is plain wrong.
PS: also your idea of injury is wrong. These kinds of injuries are due to repetitive motion. You could say bad posture although I cannot verify, was never good at physiotherapy. I cannot tell what Flash has. If you tell me I can tell you how it develops.
There are strength trainers who bash bricks. Apparently, every microfracture increases trabecular bone density. It doesn't come at first. You need to put in the hours like Howard Levy says 10000h is necessary for mastery of the instrument. I've heard it for swimming, too.
It is not related to the speed of the motion. Carpal tunnel is also a strain injury you can treat with a vertical mouse that you click buttons to the palm of your hand instead of towards the ground.
This is also how you can develop a knee injury at cycling if you use opposing muscle groups simultaneously if your saddle position is wrong. Some swimmers like Michael Phelps have better RoM because they have some form of laxity - their muscles don't work as hard. For normal people without laxity, we have carpal tunnel due to stronger wrist bands that can pinch the medial nerve in wrist extension. If you want to control the same mouse without the same effort, you need a lighter mouse AND a better posture. Your flexors and extensors are contracting simultaneously to lock your wrist which is not how it was meant to be used, like the cycling example.
PS2: also, NSAID pain killers in the first 3 days of the injury inhibit healing process. That is what Flash did on occasion.
Turrican
Magic Powers
Profile Joined April 2012
Austria4478 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-06-07 13:28:29
June 07 2025 13:25 GMT
#917
On June 07 2025 21:56 mtcn77 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2025 20:08 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On June 07 2025 15:35 mtcn77 wrote:
On June 07 2025 14:01 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On June 07 2025 05:11 mtcn77 wrote:
On June 07 2025 05:03 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On June 06 2025 03:29 Timebon3s wrote:
On June 06 2025 02:15 Bonyth wrote:
On June 05 2025 23:26 iFU.pauline wrote:
On June 05 2025 20:47 Bonyth wrote:
for some reasons people tend to think that you can close the gap in knowledge in a matter of days (when talking about teleporting kespa players to current tournaments)
also same people: foreigners cannot get in ASL because the knowledge gap is too big

We believe what we want to believe, huh?


How long do you think it would take to close the knowledge gap? Beside theory, I only have my own little experience. I have been away for 4 years, it took me 3 months to catch up with the new meta (and I am nowhere near a genius, actually I found myself pretty bad). The most difficult was zvp. Rest is pretty much similar.

Sure, if you compare yourself from the past to yourself from the present, it would seem that way. But if you had imaginable friends who were your equals these 4 years ago and they continuosly played starcraft, you would have had 20% win rate against them now. With time, going up to 30% and slowly and slowly up towards 50%.

Anyways, perhaps I shouldnt have written my post in the first place, as I don't know it myself for sure, but if gaining that knowledge gap was so easy, wouldnt we see more foreigners near ASL level? I think the likes of Draco or Nony had the speed, multitasking, mechanics on top level, so what was really holding them from matching, or even touching, top korean level of play? Is it just that they were worse in the aspects above? Or was it more about game knowledge? (game knowledge = decisions that you make based on what you see and understanding what needs to be done to increase your odds for winning). I believe it's game knowledge and time they would have to invest to get to top kor level.

According to Nony, the reason he didn’t reach his full potential in Korea, was because all they did was grind games 12 hours a day.
He didn’t really get to learn more from Koreans.
So yes, it was game knowledge as far as I understand.
Interestingly Idra thought it was good practice.

They talk about it around 30 minutes here:

https://youtu.be/4B_DhT3SrXo?si=91MTD8O5ZjangPe_

I really don’t think consistently practicing anything 12 hours a day is a productive way to learn.

I’m quite certain that 6 hours a day with method and a fresh mindset would get anyone further than 12 hours being miserable and just binging games.

You are not accounting for time. Those were teenagers back then. You can work teenagers on sugar drinks alone. Today you cannot get them to play well with a bad sleep the night prior.

That’s not the point. What i mean is you don’t learn very efficiently by doing something 12 hours a day. Conscious, focused practice is infinitely superior as a way to improve. No one becomes a concert pianist but just playing mindlessly 12 hours a day. They do very conscious practice, scales, exercises, studies, practice slowly, etc.

Esports are a young discipline, and the way they are approached is very primitive imo. The simple fact that no one practices StarCraft slowly, for example, tells you all you need to know.

Practice Starcraft slowly, what does that mean? The fact stands there is a huge resemblance between how Jaedong and my camping coach started basketball. Jaedong survived the qualifiers, I forgot the name. My camping coach said they couldn't win a game for two years. His star youth team was put against two year older players as qualification.

If you want your brain to learn very fast, very well coordinated movements very well, you need to do them very slowly, very relaxed, very controlled at a very slow tempo, and increase progressively the speed. Every single musician knows that.

Playing starcraft is on a mechanical level not so different from playing a hard piece of piano.

If I were to coach someone, i would put the game settings on very slow, and play very clearly, with absolutely zero tension, and zero unnecessary movement.

I know for a fact it would bring better results in a fraction of the practice time, and prevent injuries later down the line.

Yes, but we are not learning to play the harmonica, or exercising to gain muscle mass without losing range of motion. This is Starcraft. It has a batch input structure with 0.5 second buffer. If you are not up to speed, you won't be able to dodge lurkers with marines. That is not smart, that is plain wrong.


From a mechanical learning viewpoint, Starcraft and the harmonica are extremely similar. What you can do differs, but how you learn your instrument is virtually identical. It's exactly as Biff says. I've played various musical instruments for many years, and from that experience I can say that treating SC practice like musical practice is very smart and highly recommended. I can't put it into an exact percentage, but a good portion of the practice should focus on slow movements. This helps the brain truly understand what's going on by breaking down big complex tasks into digestible chunks. It's the same with SC as with music.

Theoretical SC knowledge also has strong overlaps to musical theory. Learning the name of musical notes and keys and what they sound like is extremely similar to learning the SC inputs, how the units move and what the terrain does or doesn't allow.

I can add that this way of practicing is so highly regarded nowadays that it's also being done this way in sports. Training is no longer just about pushing your muscles to the limit all the time. A good amount of focus is now on visualizing movement patterns. What use is a bigger muscle if you don't know what to use it for or how to optimize the direction of your force?
If you want to do the right thing, 80% of your job is done if you don't do the wrong thing.
mtcn77
Profile Joined September 2013
Turkey729 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-06-07 13:34:04
June 07 2025 13:29 GMT
#918
On June 07 2025 22:25 Magic Powers wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2025 21:56 mtcn77 wrote:
On June 07 2025 20:08 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On June 07 2025 15:35 mtcn77 wrote:
On June 07 2025 14:01 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On June 07 2025 05:11 mtcn77 wrote:
On June 07 2025 05:03 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On June 06 2025 03:29 Timebon3s wrote:
On June 06 2025 02:15 Bonyth wrote:
On June 05 2025 23:26 iFU.pauline wrote:
[quote]

How long do you think it would take to close the knowledge gap? Beside theory, I only have my own little experience. I have been away for 4 years, it took me 3 months to catch up with the new meta (and I am nowhere near a genius, actually I found myself pretty bad). The most difficult was zvp. Rest is pretty much similar.

Sure, if you compare yourself from the past to yourself from the present, it would seem that way. But if you had imaginable friends who were your equals these 4 years ago and they continuosly played starcraft, you would have had 20% win rate against them now. With time, going up to 30% and slowly and slowly up towards 50%.

Anyways, perhaps I shouldnt have written my post in the first place, as I don't know it myself for sure, but if gaining that knowledge gap was so easy, wouldnt we see more foreigners near ASL level? I think the likes of Draco or Nony had the speed, multitasking, mechanics on top level, so what was really holding them from matching, or even touching, top korean level of play? Is it just that they were worse in the aspects above? Or was it more about game knowledge? (game knowledge = decisions that you make based on what you see and understanding what needs to be done to increase your odds for winning). I believe it's game knowledge and time they would have to invest to get to top kor level.

According to Nony, the reason he didn’t reach his full potential in Korea, was because all they did was grind games 12 hours a day.
He didn’t really get to learn more from Koreans.
So yes, it was game knowledge as far as I understand.
Interestingly Idra thought it was good practice.

They talk about it around 30 minutes here:

https://youtu.be/4B_DhT3SrXo?si=91MTD8O5ZjangPe_

I really don’t think consistently practicing anything 12 hours a day is a productive way to learn.

I’m quite certain that 6 hours a day with method and a fresh mindset would get anyone further than 12 hours being miserable and just binging games.

You are not accounting for time. Those were teenagers back then. You can work teenagers on sugar drinks alone. Today you cannot get them to play well with a bad sleep the night prior.

That’s not the point. What i mean is you don’t learn very efficiently by doing something 12 hours a day. Conscious, focused practice is infinitely superior as a way to improve. No one becomes a concert pianist but just playing mindlessly 12 hours a day. They do very conscious practice, scales, exercises, studies, practice slowly, etc.

Esports are a young discipline, and the way they are approached is very primitive imo. The simple fact that no one practices StarCraft slowly, for example, tells you all you need to know.

Practice Starcraft slowly, what does that mean? The fact stands there is a huge resemblance between how Jaedong and my camping coach started basketball. Jaedong survived the qualifiers, I forgot the name. My camping coach said they couldn't win a game for two years. His star youth team was put against two year older players as qualification.

If you want your brain to learn very fast, very well coordinated movements very well, you need to do them very slowly, very relaxed, very controlled at a very slow tempo, and increase progressively the speed. Every single musician knows that.

Playing starcraft is on a mechanical level not so different from playing a hard piece of piano.

If I were to coach someone, i would put the game settings on very slow, and play very clearly, with absolutely zero tension, and zero unnecessary movement.

I know for a fact it would bring better results in a fraction of the practice time, and prevent injuries later down the line.

Yes, but we are not learning to play the harmonica, or exercising to gain muscle mass without losing range of motion. This is Starcraft. It has a batch input structure with 0.5 second buffer. If you are not up to speed, you won't be able to dodge lurkers with marines. That is not smart, that is plain wrong.


From a mechanical learning viewpoint, Starcraft and the harmonica are extremely similar. What you can do differs, but how you learn your instrument is virtually identical. It's exactly as Biff says. I've played various musical instruments for many years, and from that experience I can say that treating SC practice like musical practice is very smart and highly recommended. I can't put it into an exact percentage, but a good portion of the practice should focus on slow movements. This helps the brain truly understand what's going on by breaking down big complex tasks into digestible chunks. It's the same with SC as with music.

Theoretical SC knowledge also has strong overlaps to musical theory. Learning the name of musical notes and keys and what they sound like is extremely similar to learning the SC inputs, how the units move and what the terrain does or doesn't allow.

There is a finer way to say it. It is analog. However the question is where do you get the experience if you don't recognise we rise on top of the shoulders of giants. Any person who doesn't put in the work will NEVER learn the instrument, like myself, lol.
PS: also what your brain breaks down is a highly contentious subject. I know from my endocrinology professor people on good thyroid status have stronger synapses to learn information. You might be falling behind if you aren't in good form. This also takes practice by being a pro with health surveys.
Turrican
[sc1f]eonzerg
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Belgium7171 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-06-07 15:40:49
June 07 2025 15:39 GMT
#919
Larva tried to teach this girl. I wonder if the Piano aproach could have been a better way for her.

https://data.ygosu.com/upload_files/board_starbbs/3203075/602eaa021fd61.mp4?1613670914
Biff The Understudy
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
France8195 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-06-07 15:49:40
June 07 2025 15:47 GMT
#920
On June 07 2025 21:56 mtcn77 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2025 20:08 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On June 07 2025 15:35 mtcn77 wrote:
On June 07 2025 14:01 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On June 07 2025 05:11 mtcn77 wrote:
On June 07 2025 05:03 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On June 06 2025 03:29 Timebon3s wrote:
On June 06 2025 02:15 Bonyth wrote:
On June 05 2025 23:26 iFU.pauline wrote:
On June 05 2025 20:47 Bonyth wrote:
for some reasons people tend to think that you can close the gap in knowledge in a matter of days (when talking about teleporting kespa players to current tournaments)
also same people: foreigners cannot get in ASL because the knowledge gap is too big

We believe what we want to believe, huh?


How long do you think it would take to close the knowledge gap? Beside theory, I only have my own little experience. I have been away for 4 years, it took me 3 months to catch up with the new meta (and I am nowhere near a genius, actually I found myself pretty bad). The most difficult was zvp. Rest is pretty much similar.

Sure, if you compare yourself from the past to yourself from the present, it would seem that way. But if you had imaginable friends who were your equals these 4 years ago and they continuosly played starcraft, you would have had 20% win rate against them now. With time, going up to 30% and slowly and slowly up towards 50%.

Anyways, perhaps I shouldnt have written my post in the first place, as I don't know it myself for sure, but if gaining that knowledge gap was so easy, wouldnt we see more foreigners near ASL level? I think the likes of Draco or Nony had the speed, multitasking, mechanics on top level, so what was really holding them from matching, or even touching, top korean level of play? Is it just that they were worse in the aspects above? Or was it more about game knowledge? (game knowledge = decisions that you make based on what you see and understanding what needs to be done to increase your odds for winning). I believe it's game knowledge and time they would have to invest to get to top kor level.

According to Nony, the reason he didn’t reach his full potential in Korea, was because all they did was grind games 12 hours a day.
He didn’t really get to learn more from Koreans.
So yes, it was game knowledge as far as I understand.
Interestingly Idra thought it was good practice.

They talk about it around 30 minutes here:

https://youtu.be/4B_DhT3SrXo?si=91MTD8O5ZjangPe_

I really don’t think consistently practicing anything 12 hours a day is a productive way to learn.

I’m quite certain that 6 hours a day with method and a fresh mindset would get anyone further than 12 hours being miserable and just binging games.

You are not accounting for time. Those were teenagers back then. You can work teenagers on sugar drinks alone. Today you cannot get them to play well with a bad sleep the night prior.

That’s not the point. What i mean is you don’t learn very efficiently by doing something 12 hours a day. Conscious, focused practice is infinitely superior as a way to improve. No one becomes a concert pianist but just playing mindlessly 12 hours a day. They do very conscious practice, scales, exercises, studies, practice slowly, etc.

Esports are a young discipline, and the way they are approached is very primitive imo. The simple fact that no one practices StarCraft slowly, for example, tells you all you need to know.

Practice Starcraft slowly, what does that mean? The fact stands there is a huge resemblance between how Jaedong and my camping coach started basketball. Jaedong survived the qualifiers, I forgot the name. My camping coach said they couldn't win a game for two years. His star youth team was put against two year older players as qualification.

If you want your brain to learn very fast, very well coordinated movements very well, you need to do them very slowly, very relaxed, very controlled at a very slow tempo, and increase progressively the speed. Every single musician knows that.

Playing starcraft is on a mechanical level not so different from playing a hard piece of piano.

If I were to coach someone, i would put the game settings on very slow, and play very clearly, with absolutely zero tension, and zero unnecessary movement.

I know for a fact it would bring better results in a fraction of the practice time, and prevent injuries later down the line.

Yes, but we are not learning to play the harmonica, or exercising to gain muscle mass without losing range of motion. This is Starcraft. It has a batch input structure with 0.5 second buffer. If you are not up to speed, you won't be able to dodge lurkers with marines. That is not smart, that is plain wrong.
PS: also your idea of injury is wrong. These kinds of injuries are due to repetitive motion. You could say bad posture although I cannot verify, was never good at physiotherapy. I cannot tell what Flash has. If you tell me I can tell you how it develops.
There are strength trainers who bash bricks. Apparently, every microfracture increases trabecular bone density. It doesn't come at first. You need to put in the hours like Howard Levy says 10000h is necessary for mastery of the instrument. I've heard it for swimming, too.
It is not related to the speed of the motion. Carpal tunnel is also a strain injury you can treat with a vertical mouse that you click buttons to the palm of your hand instead of towards the ground.
This is also how you can develop a knee injury at cycling if you use opposing muscle groups simultaneously if your saddle position is wrong. Some swimmers like Michael Phelps have better RoM because they have some form of laxity - their muscles don't work as hard. For normal people without laxity, we have carpal tunnel due to stronger wrist bands that can pinch the medial nerve in wrist extension. If you want to control the same mouse without the same effort, you need a lighter mouse AND a better posture. Your flexors and extensors are contracting simultaneously to lock your wrist which is not how it was meant to be used, like the cycling example.
PS2: also, NSAID pain killers in the first 3 days of the injury inhibit healing process. That is what Flash did on occasion.

Mate, i have been playing the violin since i am four years old, and played professionally for 20 years. I did auditions and competitions all my life. And I can guarantee you that playing Tchaikovsky concerto is as at the extremely least as difficult as playing SK terran with perfect macro, flawless micro and insane multitasking. As a matter of fact, it’s so hard that it’s borderline impossible if you haven’t started playing as a small kid AND have practiced every single day of your life.

I know plenty of people who have practiced by just playing an absurd lot, very fast, with no method. They end up injured, and they end up not playing as well as people who have method in what they do. They are tense (hence the injuries), it’s messy, there are lots of unnecessary muscular activity. And that leads me to think what they were doing in those houses in Korea was absolutely stupid. They injured and made life absolutely miserable for a bunch of very talented kids.

I don’t think esports as an industry has had time to learn how to approach learning mechanically demanding games the most efficiently. And i think that will come off esports continues to exist.
The fellow who is out to burn things up is the counterpart of the fool who thinks he can save the world. The world needs neither to be burned up nor to be saved. The world is, we are. Transients, if we buck it; here to stay if we accept it. ~H.Miller
Prev 1 44 45 46 47 48 51 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
IntoTheiNu 383
LiquipediaDiscussion
The PondCast
19:00
Episode 112
CranKy Ducklings36
CranKy Ducklings SOOP8
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko247
OGKoka 196
Rex 11
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 40443
Calm 3512
Shuttle 1330
Bisu 937
Hyuk 353
Stork 319
actioN 316
Zeus 264
Soma 231
FanTaSy 212
[ Show more ]
Rush 183
Mong 175
firebathero 153
EffOrt 110
Mini 109
Last 99
Soulkey 97
Light 84
Dewaltoss 61
Pusan 60
ZerO 58
Snow 54
Bale 45
Shine 44
Killer 42
NotJumperer 41
Barracks 35
Free 34
ToSsGirL 34
Shinee 34
Yoon 30
hero 25
Sharp 22
Noble 18
HiyA 17
sorry 15
Aegong 13
Sacsri 13
JYJ 12
yabsab 12
Sea.KH 6
Dota 2
Gorgc5232
League of Legends
JimRising 306
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1312
shoxiejesuss720
kRYSTAL_6
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King111
Other Games
gofns27326
summit1g6165
singsing1654
crisheroes250
DeMusliM176
B2W.Neo174
ZerO(Twitch)4
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick611
BasetradeTV215
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream25
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 56
• LUISG 23
• killerbeecast3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV306
• lizZardDota2113
League of Legends
• Stunt276
Upcoming Events
OSC
1h 49m
OSC
11h 4m
Replay Cast
11h 49m
OSC
1d 11h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 22h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.