• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:26
CEST 15:26
KST 22:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7142 users

[G]TvZ +1 5Rax - Page 2

Forum Index > Brood War Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 Next All
CakeOrI)eath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States327 Posts
December 04 2011 05:22 GMT
#21
Great guide!

As I was reading it, I felt like I had seen it before... and sure enough I had. One of my favorite players, Sea, used it vs HoeJJa in Proleague last season. Here is the VOD:
http://www.teamliquid.net/tlpd/korean/games/73908_HoeJJa_vs_Sea/vod

+ Show Spoiler +
Even though Sea loses in the late game, its still a great example of how to pressure the zerg without committing too much so you can tech behind it and transition into mech. Very solid early-mid game that I will be copying with the help of this guide!
Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
Release
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States4397 Posts
December 04 2011 21:04 GMT
#22
FLash wrecked zero with this build on la mancha, then lost kind of horribly on icarus (he was in the weak position).
I think this build is very weak against a straight lurker build because the slower tech prevents you from damaging the zerg.
☺
LRM)nOoNe
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States231 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-05 14:26:08
December 05 2011 14:07 GMT
#23
On December 04 2011 00:08 Miwyfe wrote:
Nice guide. However, the build is considered cheese because it is an anti muta snipe build.
I would love to see some examples of pros using this build against 3 hatch lurker and surviving. All games I have seen of this build versus 3 hatch lurker have been losses. I think it was ForGG who I first saw use this build and showed just how devastating it can be though against mutas.

Not true at all.
Vs 3h Lurker, you simply camp outside zerg's natural and deny all attempts to take a third.
It's completely stable vs all 3h builds.

Here's my reaction to this build:
Assuming FS, I send a drone to two mains at once and double expand. Whichever main he attacks I cancel and morph lurkers at the other.
Notes:
I always open 3h muta
I make my first gas at 16
I only make 2 lings and use 3 sunks
I drone to 35, 3 ovy, expo, 11 muta, den/evo, expo (1 gets canceled)
It's really important to not lose mutas. Engaging a big ball of mnm in a good position is never a good idea, no matter how good you think your micro is. Instead, you should move in then quickly move out to force a stim/gain extra time for lurkers. Only attack stray units or when his army is in a line.
A lot of terrans will straight up attack my natural, so I make 5 sunks.

Not saying this is the best way to deal with it, but this is my solution.
Nice guide
ymir233
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States8275 Posts
December 05 2011 15:07 GMT
#24
On December 05 2011 23:07 DeuS wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 04 2011 00:08 Miwyfe wrote:
Nice guide. However, the build is considered cheese because it is an anti muta snipe build.
I would love to see some examples of pros using this build against 3 hatch lurker and surviving. All games I have seen of this build versus 3 hatch lurker have been losses. I think it was ForGG who I first saw use this build and showed just how devastating it can be though against mutas.

Not true at all.
Vs 3h Lurker, you simply camp outside zerg's natural and deny all attempts to take a third.
It's completely stable vs all 3h builds.

Here's my reaction to this build:
Assuming FS, I send a drone to two mains at once and double expand. Whichever main he attacks I cancel and morph lurkers at the other.
Notes:
I always open 3h muta
I make my first gas at 16
I only make 2 lings and use 3 sunks
I drone to 35, 3 ovy, expo, 11 muta, den/evo, expo (1 gets canceled)
It's really important to not lose mutas. Engaging a big ball of mnm in a good position is never a good idea, no matter how good you think your micro is. Instead, you should move in then quickly move out to force a stim/gain extra time for lurkers. Only attack stray units or when his army is in a line.
A lot of terrans will straight up attack my natural, so I make 5 sunks.

Not saying this is the best way to deal with it, but this is my solution.
Nice guide


Is the Terran army too hefty in a 5rax to wait for them to overstim after running circles around them and thenkill them off 2 groups of lings and some mutas like Soulkey does? Just wondering...
Come motivate me to be cynical about animus at http://infinityandone.blogspot.com/ // Stork proxy gates are beautiful.
LRM)nOoNe
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States231 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-05 15:24:02
December 05 2011 15:15 GMT
#25
On December 06 2011 00:07 ymir233 wrote:
Is the Terran army too hefty in a 5rax to wait for them to overstim after running circles around them and thenkill them off 2 groups of lings and some mutas like Soulkey does? Just wondering...

You can, but if you don't kill it you're kinda screwed. His reinforcement capability is way higher than yours and now you can't contest the middle of the map at all.
It has failed for me so many times that I just don't do it anymore.
Edit: Again, I'm just speaking out of how I do it. If that's your solution, then go for it. :D
Miwyfe
Profile Joined September 2010
England101 Posts
December 05 2011 15:49 GMT
#26
@ Deus, I thought someone might say what you did so well done. While I kind of agree with you, what do you think about 3 hatch lurker drop builds? Not necessarily offensive lurker drop (into Terrans main) but just to ferry a drone out to take a third with lurker support (for example on Benzene). Or to get a sandwichy on the mnm camped outside Zergs nat.

Infact that has prompted me to realize that this build is weaker on island maps such as grandline or empire of the sun because Zerg can take an island base and there is no threat to it at all for a significant amount of time. However this is all assuming Zerg opens with a 3 hatch lurker build (and that is slightly risky in itself).

Yeah, its a really interesting build order no dount about it.
LRM)nOoNe
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States231 Posts
December 05 2011 15:58 GMT
#27
On December 06 2011 00:49 Miwyfe wrote:
@ Deus, I thought someone might say what you did so well done. While I kind of agree with you, what do you think about 3 hatch lurker drop builds? Not necessarily offensive lurker drop (into Terrans main) but just to ferry a drone out to take a third with lurker support (for example on Benzene). Or to get a sandwichy on the mnm camped outside Zergs nat.

Infact that has prompted me to realize that this build is weaker on island maps such as grandline or empire of the sun because Zerg can take an island base and there is no threat to it at all for a significant amount of time. However this is all assuming Zerg opens with a 3 hatch lurker build (and that is slightly risky in itself).

Yeah, its a really interesting build order no dount about it.

I have no experience with that build, so I have no idea.
It takes a long time for drop and ovy speed to finish though, so keep that in mind. Plus it eats into your already low gas count off 2bases.
kade
Profile Joined March 2011
94 Posts
December 06 2011 02:30 GMT
#28
On December 06 2011 00:58 DeuS wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2011 00:49 Miwyfe wrote:
@ Deus, I thought someone might say what you did so well done. While I kind of agree with you, what do you think about 3 hatch lurker drop builds? Not necessarily offensive lurker drop (into Terrans main) but just to ferry a drone out to take a third with lurker support (for example on Benzene). Or to get a sandwichy on the mnm camped outside Zergs nat.

Infact that has prompted me to realize that this build is weaker on island maps such as grandline or empire of the sun because Zerg can take an island base and there is no threat to it at all for a significant amount of time. However this is all assuming Zerg opens with a 3 hatch lurker build (and that is slightly risky in itself).

Yeah, its a really interesting build order no dount about it.

I have no experience with that build, so I have no idea.
It takes a long time for drop and ovy speed to finish though, so keep that in mind. Plus it eats into your already low gas count off 2bases.


Yeah I was gonna say you'd think it would slow down zerg tech/lower lurker count giving the terran an even bigger advantage
Mystlord *
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States10264 Posts
December 06 2011 13:08 GMT
#29
Heh I remember this one. It basically made 3 Hatch on Blue Storm an insta-lose, and 4 Rax was essentially the more conservative route that would royally screw Zerg over. It's still a really strong build, especially against foreign Zergs, since I'm willing to bet that most of them have never played against this style.
It is impossible to be a citizen if you don't make an effort to understand the most basic activities of your government. It is very difficult to thrive in an increasingly competitive world if you're a nation of doods.
CakeOrI)eath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States327 Posts
December 07 2011 00:14 GMT
#30
On December 06 2011 00:49 Miwyfe wrote:
@ Deus, I thought someone might say what you did so well done. While I kind of agree with you, what do you think about 3 hatch lurker drop builds? Not necessarily offensive lurker drop (into Terrans main) but just to ferry a drone out to take a third with lurker support (for example on Benzene). Or to get a sandwichy on the mnm camped outside Zergs nat.

Infact that has prompted me to realize that this build is weaker on island maps such as grandline or empire of the sun because Zerg can take an island base and there is no threat to it at all for a significant amount of time. However this is all assuming Zerg opens with a 3 hatch lurker build (and that is slightly risky in itself).

Yeah, its a really interesting build order no dount about it.


I played a game against someone who did exactly that. 3Hatch lurker into drop. Maybe you? It was on FS so no island expos, but still he was able to drop drones on the side expansions that I wasn't scouting (shame on me) and took his 3rd-4th without much of a problem. I don't care how many marines I have, 2 lurkers and a sunken or two right on top of a ramp will stop me every time. My only hope is be active scouting enough that I can deny it before he gets his defenses up.

I reacted to his lurker drop in my main fairly well, but due to some unfortunate building placement, it still did a fair bit of damage; probably 5-10scvs and 10-15 marines for 6 lurkers. Definitely paid for itself but I'm pretty sure he would have won anyways since I let him get such a fast 4th gas T.T
Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
konadora *
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Singapore66365 Posts
December 07 2011 01:30 GMT
#31
hiya personally recommended this build on his stream lol
POGGERS
PUPATREE
Profile Joined August 2009
340 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-07 06:54:50
December 07 2011 06:54 GMT
#32
Fuck this build and anyone that plays it. I'm like 0-12 against it so far.
+ Show Spoiler +
Nice guide etc etc
ㅋㄲㅈㅁ
Reuental
Profile Joined July 2009
United States457 Posts
December 07 2011 08:00 GMT
#33
This build is rough to play against as Z. I have found the best solution is just to build 2-3 groups of lings after mutas but before you grab your third.
I'm a Crab made of men.
Phyrigian
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
New Zealand1332 Posts
December 15 2011 07:34 GMT
#34
--- Nuked ---
don_kyuhote
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
3007 Posts
December 15 2011 10:41 GMT
#35
On December 15 2011 16:34 Phyrigian wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 07 2011 17:00 Reuental wrote:
This build is rough to play against as Z. I have found the best solution is just to build 2-3 groups of lings after mutas but before you grab your third.


hi crabmanx, guess who this is

op, i hate this build so much :x, can you try find a pro game of a zerg winning vs it so i can study it?

http://www.teamliquid.net/tlpd/korean/games/77410_HiyA_vs_n.Die_soO/vod
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
icystorage
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Jollibee19350 Posts
December 15 2011 12:19 GMT
#36
what happens if he puts his 3rd hatch in base?
although i dont know what are the ramifications on the zerg's part of it builds its 3rd hatch in base. gas shortage?
LiquidDota StaffAre you ready for a Miracle-? We are! The International 2017 Champions!
don_kyuhote
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
3007 Posts
December 15 2011 12:43 GMT
#37
On December 15 2011 21:19 icystorage wrote:
what happens if he puts his 3rd hatch in base?
although i dont know what are the ramifications on the zerg's part of it builds its 3rd hatch in base. gas shortage?

??
It's normal for Zerg to put his 3rd hatch in base.
we're talking about pressuring his 3rd gas which normally would be his 4th hatch.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
ZeKk
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Sweden320 Posts
December 15 2011 20:44 GMT
#38
plz read your pm's..
icystorage
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Jollibee19350 Posts
December 16 2011 07:25 GMT
#39
On December 15 2011 21:43 don_kyuhote wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 15 2011 21:19 icystorage wrote:
what happens if he puts his 3rd hatch in base?
although i dont know what are the ramifications on the zerg's part of it builds its 3rd hatch in base. gas shortage?

??
It's normal for Zerg to put his 3rd hatch in base.
we're talking about pressuring his 3rd gas which normally would be his 4th hatch.

oh lol, i was thinking 3rd gas ._.
LiquidDota StaffAre you ready for a Miracle-? We are! The International 2017 Champions!
LightningStrike
Profile Joined February 2011
United States14277 Posts
December 17 2011 20:07 GMT
#40
This strat is good i might use it in the futre :o
May the next light shine/Former #1 Alliance LoL fan/ Current Teamliquid LoL Fan
Prev 1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
20:00
Kung Fu Cup Weekly #26
IntoTheiNu 1036
RotterdaM536
TKL 221
SteadfastSC201
Rex114
CosmosSc2 27
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 536
ByuN 284
TKL 212
SteadfastSC 201
Rex 114
CosmosSc2 27
Codebar 25
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 38465
Shuttle 2406
Jaedong 1127
Horang2 873
Soulkey 490
Mini 391
EffOrt 361
Stork 347
Larva 272
Soma 234
[ Show more ]
actioN 224
BeSt 213
ZerO 206
Rush 187
Snow 181
Last 156
Mong 149
firebathero 133
Zeus 91
910 78
Free 75
Mind 74
Hyun 61
sorry 55
hero 47
PianO 47
Sharp 41
Yoon 40
JYJ 38
Shinee 36
Pusan 34
Shine 31
Hm[arnc] 30
Bale 30
Sexy 23
ToSsGirL 22
Aegong 21
HiyA 17
Terrorterran 12
scan(afreeca) 9
Sacsri 8
Noble 8
Rock 7
Icarus 6
Dota 2
Gorgc4370
Dendi1325
canceldota71
Counter-Strike
fl0m1169
edward34
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King171
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes533
Lowko338
Other Games
gofns77620
singsing2320
olofmeister1027
B2W.Neo329
hiko306
DeMusliM223
Livibee176
Pyrionflax163
Liquid`VortiX104
QueenE61
Trikslyr58
ZerO(Twitch)13
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 1376
Other Games
BasetradeTV192
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream34
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH140
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis1579
• Jankos1530
• TFBlade343
Other Games
• Shiphtur629
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
2h 34m
The PondCast
20h 34m
INu's Battles
21h 34m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 8h
Replay Cast
1d 9h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.