• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:10
CEST 02:10
KST 09:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8408 users

ASL seeking submissions of new maps for season 4

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
prech
Profile Joined March 2014
United States2948 Posts
April 10 2017 02:56 GMT
#1
Looks like the organizers are soliciting new map submissions for the next ASL season (and potentially for later this season?). Guess this would be implicit confirmation of an ASL season 4

For all our mapmakers out there, might be a nice opportunity -- only caveat being everything's in Korean. Already about a dozen or submissions on the ASL Afreeca board.

Sources/discussion: Afreeca, Ygosu

On April 09 2017 20:49 GTR wrote:
Said board can be found here: http://live.afreecatv.com:8079/app/index.cgi?szBoard=list_bbs&szBjId=afstar1&nStationNo=15524207&nBbsNo=53049736

Good to see fellow Korean TL map poster Noah2nd on there already.

Hoping to see some foreign submissions, especially from NegativeZero and Freakling!

Liquipedia
Essbee
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Canada2371 Posts
April 10 2017 03:23 GMT
#2
This is seriously so damn cool that they are considering using maps from the public.
JungleTerrain
Profile Joined January 2012
Chile799 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-04-10 06:02:42
April 10 2017 05:59 GMT
#3
There seems to be a lack of 3 player maps. Most of the submissions so far are for 2 and 4 players.

And if we wanted to submit our maps, is there a way we can do this if we don't know korean? Maybe a little help from somebody? ^^

Edit: And can we finally have a Custom Maps forum on the left side for Brood War just like SC2?
www.broodwarmaps.net
Jealous
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
10392 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-04-10 08:37:25
April 10 2017 08:01 GMT
#4
EDIT: I am dumb.

Very happy for foreign map makers who finally have an opportunity to show their work. Foreign maps have had clean pathing and a lot more "math" to them in recent memory, from what I've seen. Hopefully their work will be appreciated.

I do hope that new maps are made for this I'm interested to see what is made when the pressure is on to rise to the top. Heck, maybe I'll make a map for the first time since 2004ish xD

EDIT 2: Is there a thread or external resource that lists all of the tools mapmakers use? I'm familiar with the actual map editors but I haven't seen the territory analysis or rush distance calculators anywhere.
"The right to vote is only the oar of the slaveship, I wanna be free." -- бум бум сучка!
gngfn
Profile Joined January 2009
United States1726 Posts
April 10 2017 08:19 GMT
#5
I'd love to see one of our pro mapmakers stream the process of putting together a map for this.
CoL_DarkstaR
Profile Joined January 2009
Germany649 Posts
April 10 2017 11:53 GMT
#6
Cool maps so far, but what is this madness?

[image loading]
Freakling
Profile Joined October 2012
Germany1534 Posts
April 10 2017 12:15 GMT
#7
On April 10 2017 14:59 JungleTerrain wrote:
There seems to be a lack of 3 player maps. Most of the submissions so far are for 2 and 4 players.

There seems to be a lack of 3 player maps. Most of the submissions so far are for 2 and 4 players.[/quote]
I guess we should finish and submit Uzi Sara, Frogstar World B and Legionnaire (and of course send Reap the Storm along with it).
And work on my island maps...

And if we wanted to submit our maps, is there a way we can do this if we don't know korean? Maybe a little help from somebody? ^^

Time to sign up on Afreeca TV, I guess...

Edit: And can we finally have a Custom Maps forum on the left side for Brood War just like SC2?

+1!

I do hope that new maps are made for this I'm interested to see what is made when the pressure is on to rise to the top. Heck, maybe I'll make a map for the first time since 2004ish xD

I have given up making maps for specific occasions. I have enough finished or almost finished maps to show and "it's done hen it's done" is the best philosophy. I definitely have some interesting maps in the pipeline right now.

EDIT 2: Is there a thread or external resource that lists all of the tools mapmakers use? I'm familiar with the actual map editors but I haven't seen the territory analysis or rush distance calculators anywhere.

For melee maps you really onlu need SCMDraft although StarForge can do at least one thing that SCMDraft cannot, but there is a workaround for that with SCMDraft. So at this point all you really need are SCMDraft for making the map and CHKDraft (specifically its terrain level display) as a debugging tool.
Unfortunately, there actually are no in-editor tools for anything pathfinding-related yet. We still need to spend hours with iterative in-game testing for that. With the renewed interest and activity spurred by the announcement of Remastered there is some progress to be expected on this front in the not-too-far future, though.

On April 10 2017 17:19 gngfn wrote:
I'd love to see one of our pro mapmakers stream the process of putting together a map for this.

A live stream would probably be terribly boring to watch... And making a single fleshed out map can take anything from 50 hours upwards (just an estimate, it is hard to take track when I usually do it in sessions of .5 to 2 hours over multiple months...), I could write a guide (if I ever find the time...) or make a gif from some map in progress pictures...
Freakling
Profile Joined October 2012
Germany1534 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-04-10 13:12:39
April 10 2017 12:18 GMT
#8
On April 10 2017 20:53 CoL_DarkstaR wrote:
Cool maps so far, but what is this madness?

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

Lots of them are really weird concepts that are probably not very playable or balanced and I see lots of them having some serious bug just from the pictures.
Who can teach me Korean so I can post comments O_o ?!
CoL_DarkstaR
Profile Joined January 2009
Germany649 Posts
April 10 2017 12:27 GMT
#9
I like the concept of a three player map which always turns out completely different due to the positions, but in the posted picture it just seems like in some matchups it's game over once the player in the center controls the map and the other player is cornered.
Freakling
Profile Joined October 2012
Germany1534 Posts
April 10 2017 12:29 GMT
#10
Or the player in the centre just gets killed through muta harrassment or other air based play.
JungleTerrain
Profile Joined January 2012
Chile799 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-04-10 13:44:52
April 10 2017 13:38 GMT
#11
On April 10 2017 17:19 gngfn wrote:
I'd love to see one of our pro mapmakers stream the process of putting together a map for this.


I have the next best thing ... I've been taking pictures of each update for one of my maps recently.
Here is the one for my current map I've been working on so you can kinda see the process. Freakling, Jukado, CrystalDrag, Nzero, Neobowman all chimed in a bit (Freakling the most lol).

This is how I do it, not sure how everyone else does it exactly. But it gives an idea... just a bunch of edits over time. It's pretty boring, as Freak said.

imgur.com

Edit: Lol somebody uploaded Lost Temple for ASL 4 haha
www.broodwarmaps.net
BLinD-RawR
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
ALLEYCAT BLUES51549 Posts
April 10 2017 13:52 GMT
#12
yeah I saw Lost Temple and was like, why not blood bath instead?
Brood War EICWoo Jung Ho, never forget.| Twitter: @BLinDRawR
Greg_J
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
China4409 Posts
April 10 2017 13:55 GMT
#13
It is your calling in life Freakling to get a map submited for the ASL. I would love to see pro's playing on almost anyone one of your maps. Beautiful maps + beautiful players must equal some kind of beautiful thing.
c3rberUs
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Japan11801 Posts
April 10 2017 14:28 GMT
#14
I wonder what the pros would think if an island map made it through.

Uzi Sara o.o
It feels like Aztec but the concept of the natural is so good o.o
WriterMovie, 진영화 : "StarCraft will never die".
Endymion
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United States3701 Posts
April 10 2017 15:12 GMT
#15
they should use steps of war from the wings of liberty beta
Have you considered the MMO-Champion forum? You are just as irrational and delusional with the right portion of nostalgic populism. By the way: The old Brood War was absolutely unplayable
Tadah
Profile Joined February 2010
Sweden120 Posts
April 10 2017 15:23 GMT
#16
Again, anyone know how to create an Afreeca account? Is it possible without a KSSN?

Really wanna add CrystalDrag's map Kiseyras, but this Afreeca account-creation process has me stumped.
JungleTerrain
Profile Joined January 2012
Chile799 Posts
April 10 2017 15:31 GMT
#17
On April 11 2017 00:23 Tadah wrote:
Again, anyone know how to create an Afreeca account? Is it possible without a KSSN?

Really wanna add CrystalDrag's map Kiseyras, but this Afreeca account-creation process has me stumped.


Crystal is korean so he should be able to do it himself, I just havent seen him in awhile...
www.broodwarmaps.net
Freakling
Profile Joined October 2012
Germany1534 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-04-10 15:44:05
April 10 2017 15:42 GMT
#18
On April 10 2017 22:55 Greg_J wrote:
It is your calling in life Freakling to get a map submited for the ASL. I would love to see pro's playing on almost anyone one of your maps. Beautiful maps + beautiful players must equal some kind of beautiful thing.

Well, we just had this for a start.

Crystal is American, actually. I don't think he has Korean ID or even speaks Korean that well...
outscar
Profile Joined September 2014
2832 Posts
April 10 2017 16:10 GMT
#19
Some of those maps which are submitted look cool. Many of them when I try to download says "Forbidden". If anyone got luck to download please share.
sunbeams are never made like me...
Trozz
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Canada3456 Posts
April 10 2017 16:17 GMT
#20
How about this map?
[image loading]
I'm sure the pros would love it!
Here's a download link: http://www.panschk.de/mappage/comments.php?mapid=4660
A build is not a guess, an estimation or a hunch, a feeling, or a foolish intuition. A build is a dependable, unwavering, unarguably accurate, portrayer of your ambition.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
CranKy Ducklings89
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O149
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 140
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 908
ZZZero.O 149
Bale 19
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm198
League of Legends
Doublelift4718
JimRising 790
Counter-Strike
minikerr3
Other Games
summit1g10655
FrodaN3308
C9.Mang0249
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1216
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream31
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP96
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
9h 50m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
10h 50m
Monday Night Weeklies
15h 50m
Replay Cast
22h 50m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 9h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 10h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 23h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.