• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:59
CEST 13:59
KST 20:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7612 users

BW General Discussion - Page 248

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 246 247 248 249 250 520 Next
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
November 06 2018 22:45 GMT
#4941
Also, the last couple of SSL drastically went up in quality. I would say SSL8/9+ had some fantastic games and series.
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
[AS]Rattus
Profile Joined March 2017
428 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-11-07 00:29:15
November 07 2018 00:07 GMT
#4942
how high is the energy regenration in bw? and does it differ from unit to unit? couldn't find an answer in the liquipedia artice

edit: smth like 0,7E/S at least for medic and scanner
Ideas
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
United States8178 Posts
November 07 2018 00:57 GMT
#4943
Sorry I didn't mean to sound like I'm just shitting on that era of BW, just that it seems really good now. Although do I fear that it's in a bubble because there doesn't seem to be much new blood at all making any tournaments? Like are there any good players still in their teens or early 20s? Seems like every single name I see in KCM/ASL/KSL is an old pro so they're going to be at least like 24/25 years old.
Free Palestine
Highgamer
Profile Joined October 2015
1472 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-11-07 01:43:18
November 07 2018 01:41 GMT
#4944
I assume Korea, with the size of the player pool, the love for the game and the relative fame for players who make it high up, has quite a bit of fresh blood, young dedicated players who can play watchable games - but I doubt there will ever be a generation like those names you're talking about. The professional training they went through for years just seems unsurmountable, at least so far noone seems to have emerged to get even close... on top of that those ex-pros will take all the attention for as long as they're around.
I guess when those guys retire definitelly or really cut down on the amount that they play, and maybe a new generation steps up and tries to replace them, surely one level or rather several levels lower, that will be a decisive time for whether BW lives on under that condition as a considerable spectator sport or dies (in that regard!) with that Kespa-forged generaion.
Yanokabo
Profile Joined October 2018
268 Posts
November 07 2018 03:15 GMT
#4945
I always thought the generation you’re talking about would emerge but it never has or never did. Seems like a non existent bunch of people/ fantasy generation. Maybe no boys were born at the right time that cared for computer games. I have a younger brother irl who is 16 now would have been just a year or too or 3 younger than the ideal age for new Koreans pro game players but they’re all old 26-40.
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
November 07 2018 03:40 GMT
#4946
On November 07 2018 10:41 Highgamer wrote:
I assume Korea, with the size of the player pool, the love for the game and the relative fame for players who make it high up, has quite a bit of fresh blood, young dedicated players who can play watchable games - but I doubt there will ever be a generation like those names you're talking about. The professional training they went through for years just seems unsurmountable, at least so far noone seems to have emerged to get even close... on top of that those ex-pros will take all the attention for as long as they're around.
I guess when those guys retire definitelly or really cut down on the amount that they play, and maybe a new generation steps up and tries to replace them, surely one level or rather several levels lower, that will be a decisive time for whether BW lives on under that condition as a considerable spectator sport or dies (in that regard!) with that Kespa-forged generaion.

We probably won't see the same high level of play as the pros when they retire, but several amateurs have made it into ASL in 2017, and one did really well against BeSt and Mong. I think the scene will continue, but whether the same amount of people will follow these new players who don't really have a history is anyone's guess. Would be difficult for sure.
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
Dazed.
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada3301 Posts
November 07 2018 03:50 GMT
#4947
On November 07 2018 12:40 BigFan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 07 2018 10:41 Highgamer wrote:
I assume Korea, with the size of the player pool, the love for the game and the relative fame for players who make it high up, has quite a bit of fresh blood, young dedicated players who can play watchable games - but I doubt there will ever be a generation like those names you're talking about. The professional training they went through for years just seems unsurmountable, at least so far noone seems to have emerged to get even close... on top of that those ex-pros will take all the attention for as long as they're around.
I guess when those guys retire definitelly or really cut down on the amount that they play, and maybe a new generation steps up and tries to replace them, surely one level or rather several levels lower, that will be a decisive time for whether BW lives on under that condition as a considerable spectator sport or dies (in that regard!) with that Kespa-forged generaion.

We probably won't see the same high level of play as the pros when they retire, but several amateurs have made it into ASL in 2017, and one did really well against BeSt and Mong. I think the scene will continue, but whether the same amount of people will follow these new players who don't really have a history is anyone's guess. Would be difficult for sure.
I think your underestimating the lack of new players. Yes, new players can rise to the top-- if your very dedicated and smart you can get really solid in broodwar in a year or two, so that doesnt mean much. Those are just a couple people, but the actual state of the game isnt good. It hasnt had cross generational appeal.
Never say Die! ||| Fight you? No, I want to kill you.
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-11-07 04:02:42
November 07 2018 04:01 GMT
#4948
On November 07 2018 12:50 Dazed. wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 07 2018 12:40 BigFan wrote:
On November 07 2018 10:41 Highgamer wrote:
I assume Korea, with the size of the player pool, the love for the game and the relative fame for players who make it high up, has quite a bit of fresh blood, young dedicated players who can play watchable games - but I doubt there will ever be a generation like those names you're talking about. The professional training they went through for years just seems unsurmountable, at least so far noone seems to have emerged to get even close... on top of that those ex-pros will take all the attention for as long as they're around.
I guess when those guys retire definitelly or really cut down on the amount that they play, and maybe a new generation steps up and tries to replace them, surely one level or rather several levels lower, that will be a decisive time for whether BW lives on under that condition as a considerable spectator sport or dies (in that regard!) with that Kespa-forged generaion.

We probably won't see the same high level of play as the pros when they retire, but several amateurs have made it into ASL in 2017, and one did really well against BeSt and Mong. I think the scene will continue, but whether the same amount of people will follow these new players who don't really have a history is anyone's guess. Would be difficult for sure.
I think your underestimating the lack of new players. Yes, new players can rise to the top-- if your very dedicated and smart you can get really solid in broodwar in a year or two, so that doesnt mean much. Those are just a couple people, but the actual state of the game isnt good. It hasnt had cross generational appeal.

Maybe, but the thing is that you have to keep in mind that sign-ups for qualifiers have topped what was it, 700? That's not to say that all these players are ultra gosu, but I'm sure there will be 24 of them that will be good enough to give us some interesting games even with the expros leaving. Also, I doubt we'll see all the current expros drop at once. Even if they leave for the army, they'll have to eventually earn some income while probably finding a job so we'll likely see some of the play in quals as a fun side thing, kinda like Hiya stopped streaming BW but then qualified for ASL4 and lost 0-2 in his group.

Having said that, depending on the game quality and who we lose, there is a chance that BW will lose a lot of support, especially from the hardcore fans who are fans of the expros. From that perspective, it might be really bad T.T Anyways, we can't do much. We'll just have to watch things as they proceed and hope for the best.

Edit: Cross generational appeal would be difficult. When people are told about Starcraft, their first thought is that it's really hard, not that it's extremely rewarding and has a great UMS scene. Younger people are also more interested in what's on TV or mobas like LoL or Dota. Can't do much to change that unfortunately.
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
angrypofke
Profile Joined March 2017
Lithuania174 Posts
November 07 2018 07:59 GMT
#4949
That's why the teamleagues like the current BJ league and upcoming MPL2 are really important. Maybe we'll lose a pro or two to army, but the teams will fill up and the hype will continue.
Dazed.
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada3301 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-11-07 15:21:40
November 07 2018 15:21 GMT
#4950
On November 07 2018 13:01 BigFan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 07 2018 12:50 Dazed. wrote:
On November 07 2018 12:40 BigFan wrote:
On November 07 2018 10:41 Highgamer wrote:
I assume Korea, with the size of the player pool, the love for the game and the relative fame for players who make it high up, has quite a bit of fresh blood, young dedicated players who can play watchable games - but I doubt there will ever be a generation like those names you're talking about. The professional training they went through for years just seems unsurmountable, at least so far noone seems to have emerged to get even close... on top of that those ex-pros will take all the attention for as long as they're around.
I guess when those guys retire definitelly or really cut down on the amount that they play, and maybe a new generation steps up and tries to replace them, surely one level or rather several levels lower, that will be a decisive time for whether BW lives on under that condition as a considerable spectator sport or dies (in that regard!) with that Kespa-forged generaion.

We probably won't see the same high level of play as the pros when they retire, but several amateurs have made it into ASL in 2017, and one did really well against BeSt and Mong. I think the scene will continue, but whether the same amount of people will follow these new players who don't really have a history is anyone's guess. Would be difficult for sure.
I think your underestimating the lack of new players. Yes, new players can rise to the top-- if your very dedicated and smart you can get really solid in broodwar in a year or two, so that doesnt mean much. Those are just a couple people, but the actual state of the game isnt good. It hasnt had cross generational appeal.

Maybe, but the thing is that you have to keep in mind that sign-ups for qualifiers have topped what was it, 700? That's not to say that all these players are ultra gosu, but I'm sure there will be 24 of them that will be good enough to give us some interesting games even with the expros leaving. Also, I doubt we'll see all the current expros drop at once. Even if they leave for the army, they'll have to eventually earn some income while probably finding a job so we'll likely see some of the play in quals as a fun side thing, kinda like Hiya stopped streaming BW but then qualified for ASL4 and lost 0-2 in his group.

Having said that, depending on the game quality and who we lose, there is a chance that BW will lose a lot of support, especially from the hardcore fans who are fans of the expros. From that perspective, it might be really bad T.T Anyways, we can't do much. We'll just have to watch things as they proceed and hope for the best.

Edit: Cross generational appeal would be difficult. When people are told about Starcraft, their first thought is that it's really hard, not that it's extremely rewarding and has a great UMS scene. Younger people are also more interested in what's on TV or mobas like LoL or Dota. Can't do much to change that unfortunately.
I dont think its just a matter of them wanting easier games in that simple sense, I think broodwar has really and honestly changed over the years. If you came into the game in 2002 and tried out melee, the game was about rushing/counter rushing, but had macro elements. Thats viscerally interesting to someone who hasnt really explored the game yet, but today, even at very low levels the game is centered around defensive macro. Its just not as interesting an experience for new comers.
Never say Die! ||| Fight you? No, I want to kill you.
oxKnu
Profile Joined December 2017
1267 Posts
November 08 2018 21:17 GMT
#4951
When is Bisu finishing up his service? It's been a year and a half right?

I really hope we get a few more decent years out of him.
Yanokabo
Profile Joined October 2018
268 Posts
November 08 2018 21:19 GMT
#4952
I really want Bisu back too. I bet he’s sipping pina coladas ona beach in Australia.
DJONES
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States218 Posts
November 09 2018 05:52 GMT
#4953
On November 09 2018 06:19 Yanokabo wrote:
I really want Bisu back too. I bet he’s sipping pina coladas ona beach in Australia.


The 🐝-suit back in action? That would be cool. Only thing that would be better (in my opinion) is if Jaedong came back and we could see some more classic Flash-JD battles.
facebook.com/DJONESisagod
Xxio
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada5565 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-11-09 16:27:32
November 09 2018 16:27 GMT
#4954
On November 09 2018 06:17 oxKnu wrote:
When is Bisu finishing up his service? It's been a year and a half right?

I really hope we get a few more decent years out of him.

Serving from 5th Dec 2017 to 4th Sep 2019 according to this thread.
KTY
oxKnu
Profile Joined December 2017
1267 Posts
November 09 2018 23:03 GMT
#4955
On November 10 2018 01:27 Xxio wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 09 2018 06:17 oxKnu wrote:
When is Bisu finishing up his service? It's been a year and a half right?

I really hope we get a few more decent years out of him.

Serving from 5th Dec 2017 to 4th Sep 2019 according to this thread.


Thanks for the info.

I remember somewhere reading that it said the period is not 2-year fixed for all people.
prosatan
Profile Joined September 2009
Romania9359 Posts
November 11 2018 14:56 GMT
#4956


Although I can't understand a single word, I really enjoy watching this !!
Lee JaeDong Fighting! The only church that illuminates is the one that burns.
DJONES
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States218 Posts
November 11 2018 19:50 GMT
#4957
On November 11 2018 23:56 prosatan wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSK2_XCO--I

Although I can't understand a single word, I really enjoy watching this !!


I like watching the Korean streams / commentators even though I can't understand anything either. I love the enthusiasm, but all I hear is "simida" "neh" and "pectory". I guess you can say I speak 3 words of Korean 😂
facebook.com/DJONESisagod
cremice
Profile Joined August 2018
3 Posts
November 14 2018 15:37 GMT
#4958
Does anyone know why Rain transitioned from SC2 to BW?

Are there other pros who have done the same or tried to do the same?

Dazed.
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada3301 Posts
November 14 2018 17:00 GMT
#4959
On November 15 2018 00:37 cremice wrote:
Does anyone know why Rain transitioned from SC2 to BW?

Are there other pros who have done the same or tried to do the same?

he was originally a bw player, and most of the top pros currently were at least temporarily playing sc2. The reason they did that was essentially kespa/blizzard pressure, and the reason they came back was, A: Some of them preferred bw to sc2, B, sc2's scene isnt doing as well as bw's in korea and C, some of them are just better suited to bw than sc2. I dont follow the sc2 scene but IIRC fantasy is only an "ok" player, but in bw he was top tier, for example.
Never say Die! ||| Fight you? No, I want to kill you.
ne4aJIb
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Russian Federation3209 Posts
November 14 2018 19:43 GMT
#4960
On November 11 2018 23:56 prosatan wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSK2_XCO--I

Although I can't understand a single word, I really enjoy watching this !!


lol, Flash wearing a T-shirt with Russian text "Полный огонь". It means sth like "open fire from all weapons"
Bisu,Best,Stork,Jangbi and Flash, Fantasy, Leta, Light and Jaedong, Hydra, Zero, Soulkey assemble in ACE now!
Prev 1 246 247 248 249 250 520 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
11:00
WardiTV Mondays #106
IntoTheiNu 912
WardiTV408
OGKoka 196
Rex135
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko371
mouzHeroMarine 303
OGKoka 196
Rex 135
ProTech121
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 2646
Horang2 1418
Larva 1220
EffOrt 922
BeSt 634
Soma 413
Hyuk 339
Mini 282
Stork 197
ZerO 190
[ Show more ]
Light 177
Rush 171
ggaemo 139
Zeus 130
Barracks 115
Killer 90
Hyun 88
Sea.KH 38
Shinee 35
Bale 33
ToSsGirL 31
Mong 26
sorry 23
Aegong 20
soO 19
PianO 19
Sacsri 14
ajuk12(nOOB) 14
zelot 11
Sexy 10
HiyA 9
Noble 8
Dota 2
Dendi1425
BananaSlamJamma164
League of Legends
KnowMe33
Counter-Strike
byalli772
x6flipin413
Other Games
singsing2157
olofmeister1589
crisheroes265
XaKoH 264
Sick222
Pyrionflax187
B2W.Neo180
ArmadaUGS70
Mew2King45
ZerO(Twitch)4
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream525
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 10
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH305
• StrangeGG 36
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1698
Other Games
• WagamamaTV229
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
4h 1m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
22h 1m
Afreeca Starleague
22h 1m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 12h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 23h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.