• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:57
CEST 13:57
KST 20:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)76Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8229 users

[M] (2) Braxis IX

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
NewSunshine
Profile Joined July 2011
United States5938 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-28 03:32:23
June 05 2012 05:44 GMT
#1
I sort of put my Zerg-y project on the side, cus I decided to have some fun and hammer out a faster map.

+ Show Spoiler [old overview] +
[image loading]

[image loading]
published on NA - 1.1


Introduction:
Okay, I know what you're thinking, the name is really stupid(*cougharcticravencough*). However, there is something to it. First, the planet Braxis, in the SC2 lore, is a big ball of super-thick ice. And science fiction does that cliche with naming planets with numbers all the time, so, to continue my tirade against Niflheim I dove back in, to create another snow map. I don't hate Niflheim as a tileset, but I find myself against the idea of reworking the dependencies of the map to enable the use of Niflheim. I want to keep the aesthetics purely confined to what can be easily accessed for the average user(the lighting is heavily tweaked, but that's a slightly different story).

Oh yeah, the name is also a subtle reference to this song -


For the layout itself, I wanted to keep it simple, but with a handful of simple, cool features. The aesthetics mirror this - simple in the way it conforms to the layout, but very clean and attractive in its execution.

+ Show Spoiler [images(old)] +
Analyzer Images:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

[image loading]


Aesthetic Shots:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]


Tileset Information:
+ Show Spoiler +
Psych! I'm keeping this one a secret. See if you can figure it out :p


Hit me with your pick-aparterie, fellow nerds :D
"If you find yourself feeling lost, take pride in the accuracy of your feelings." - Night Vale
lost_artz
Profile Joined January 2012
United States366 Posts
June 05 2012 07:00 GMT
#2
My 1st concern after having looked over this map is that it may be to easy to secure 4 bases for following reasons.
1) 4ths very close to 3rd - 3rd is farther from nat than from 4th, albeit barely
2) ramps leading into 4th are smaller than they could be

Other than that, 14 bases is a bit extreme, 12 is perfectly fine for 2 player map. The 4/10 o'clocks could use a layout rework. They look out of place almost as if they were after thoughts.

Tileset is pretty sweet, it looks much brighter in screenshots than overview though - is this accurate to in-game also? If so it could be a bit of a literal eye-sore.
NewSunshine
Profile Joined July 2011
United States5938 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-05 07:25:05
June 05 2012 07:14 GMT
#3
On June 05 2012 16:00 lost_artz wrote:
My 1st concern after having looked over this map is that it may be to easy to secure 4 bases for following reasons.
1) 4ths very close to 3rd - 3rd is farther from nat than from 4th, albeit barely
2) ramps leading into 4th are smaller than they could be

Other than that, 14 bases is a bit extreme, 12 is perfectly fine for 2 player map. The 4/10 o'clocks could use a layout rework. They look out of place almost as if they were after thoughts.

Tileset is pretty sweet, it looks much brighter in screenshots than overview though - is this accurate to in-game also? If so it could be a bit of a literal eye-sore.

1) I was thinking about pushing the 4th up a little bit, so the transition from base to base is a little better, I might also open things up a little bit too in that area.

2) I don't think 14 is extreme at all. 4 player maps generally have 14-16 bases, yet are used for 1v1's. 2 of the expo's here are also half bases. I see what you're saying, that 14 is more than usual, but it's fine.

The screenshots show what it's like in-game, because the overview ignores the lighting and gives an inaccurate image, aesthetically speaking. As for being an eyesore, well, I guess I'll wait for the map's debut on the ladder before I tackle that :p
Thanks for the feedback though, it sort of goes along with what I'm thinking to improve it. I also encourage anyone who can play on NA to test the map out, if the lighting is too strong I wanna know. Also, an in-game experience can give much better knowledge than an overview, so I encourage you to experience the map for what it is. GLHF
"If you find yourself feeling lost, take pride in the accuracy of your feelings." - Night Vale
lost_artz
Profile Joined January 2012
United States366 Posts
June 05 2012 07:28 GMT
#4
On June 05 2012 16:14 NewSunshine wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 05 2012 16:00 lost_artz wrote:
My 1st concern after having looked over this map is that it may be to easy to secure 4 bases for following reasons.
1) 4ths very close to 3rd - 3rd is farther from nat than from 4th, albeit barely
2) ramps leading into 4th are smaller than they could be

Other than that, 14 bases is a bit extreme, 12 is perfectly fine for 2 player map. The 4/10 o'clocks could use a layout rework. They look out of place almost as if they were after thoughts.

Tileset is pretty sweet, it looks much brighter in screenshots than overview though - is this accurate to in-game also? If so it could be a bit of a literal eye-sore.

1) I was thinking about pushing the 4th up a little bit, so the transition from base to base is a little better, I might also open things up a little bit too in that area.

2) I don't think 14 is extreme at all. 4 player maps generally have 14-16 bases, yet are used for 1v1's. 2 of the expo's here are also half bases. I see what you're saying, that 14 is more than usual, but it's fine.

The screenshots show what it's like in-game, because the overview ignores the lighting and gives an inaccurate image, aesthetically speaking. As for being an eyesore, well, I guess I'll wait for the map's debut on the ladder before I tackle that :p
Thanks for the feedback though, it sort of goes along with what I'm thinking to improve it.


No problem On a final note I like the XNT placement a lot. They're just far enough out of the way to the point where they're not vital to winning the game but still very important to knowing whats going on around the map. Plus they're so far apart from each other that you simply can't hold both because you hold one.
NewSunshine
Profile Joined July 2011
United States5938 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-05 07:36:40
June 05 2012 07:35 GMT
#5
On June 05 2012 16:28 lost_artz wrote:
No problem On a final note I like the XNT placement a lot. They're just far enough out of the way to the point where they're not vital to winning the game but still very important to knowing whats going on around the map. Plus they're so far apart from each other that you simply can't hold both because you hold one.

Thanks :D
If you can, try to play a test game some time, and lemme know if the lighting is too harsh. I know not everyone has the same gamma setting, so although I think it's fine, someone else might be having a small seizure. The original goal with the lighting was to bend the color of the textures towards the pristine white of snow, as most of the textures are sort of yellow-ish by default.

Maybe I could use the beta's sweet new copy features to make a quick and easy revision, hmmm. I might have some changes ready before long.
"If you find yourself feeling lost, take pride in the accuracy of your feelings." - Night Vale
lost_artz
Profile Joined January 2012
United States366 Posts
June 05 2012 07:42 GMT
#6
On June 05 2012 16:35 NewSunshine wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 05 2012 16:28 lost_artz wrote:
No problem On a final note I like the XNT placement a lot. They're just far enough out of the way to the point where they're not vital to winning the game but still very important to knowing whats going on around the map. Plus they're so far apart from each other that you simply can't hold both because you hold one.

Thanks :D
If you can, try to play a test game some time, and lemme know if the lighting is too harsh. I know not everyone has the same gamma setting, so although I think it's fine, someone else might be having a small seizure. The original goal with the lighting was to bend the color of the textures towards the pristine white of snow, as most of the textures are sort of yellow-ish by default.

Maybe I could use the beta's sweet new copy features to make a quick and easy revision, hmmm. I might have some changes ready before long.


Perhaps tomorrow or early next week (just ordered parts for new PC so I could always test out Sc2 in general at the same time). . Last time I played I was only silver though haha. I play Sc2 very rarely these days. Mostly just watch VODs/replays/tourneys. Definitely potential for this map to see ladder/tournaments once it's refined.
Aunvilgod
Profile Joined December 2011
2653 Posts
June 05 2012 09:26 GMT
#7
ZhakulDas lightning hurts my eyes.

I like the setup of your expos. No perfect third, that is great.
ilovegroov | Blizzards mapmaker(s?) suck ass | #1 Protoss hater
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
June 05 2012 14:52 GMT
#8
Please change the lighting.

Layout seems cool. Perhaps the base density is a bit too high? Outer expos should perhaps be stretched towards the map edges a bit. But it's got a cool, unique shape, and I like it.
all's fair in love and melodies
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10569 Posts
June 05 2012 15:55 GMT
#9
The third seems really far away from the natural, no matter which one you take.
Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
NewSunshine
Profile Joined July 2011
United States5938 Posts
June 05 2012 16:00 GMT
#10
On June 05 2012 18:26 Aunvilgod wrote:
ZhakulDas lightning hurts my eyes.

shhhh, nobody's supposed to know what it is! :p
ZD is the base lighting, but that's not why it's as bright as it is. I got some changes incoming, for both the lighting and the layout, that should be an improvement. thanks for the feedback so far!
"If you find yourself feeling lost, take pride in the accuracy of your feelings." - Night Vale
Aunvilgod
Profile Joined December 2011
2653 Posts
June 05 2012 19:30 GMT
#11
Are you sure that the ZD lighting is saved? The overview usually works fine for me.

If you modify the brightness of the lighting you should check how warping in buildings look like. There is not much space to modify until it looks weird afair.

BTW is it lighting or lightning? Either way a lot of people are writing it wrong and confusing the shit out of me. :p
ilovegroov | Blizzards mapmaker(s?) suck ass | #1 Protoss hater
NewSunshine
Profile Joined July 2011
United States5938 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-05 20:52:17
June 05 2012 20:51 GMT
#12
I've already played a test game on the initial version, and the lighting is fine(as in, what you see in the screenshots). The overviews generated from my particular copy of the editor never seem to have the proper lighting, so it's something I'm sort of used to by now. Once I'm done revising I'll have some new screenshots to show what I've come up with lighting-wise, it should still work for the snow, without being too strong. Guess we'll see.
"If you find yourself feeling lost, take pride in the accuracy of your feelings." - Night Vale
NewSunshine
Profile Joined July 2011
United States5938 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-05 23:17:12
June 05 2012 23:15 GMT
#13
Alright, I've got an overview to show the layout changes. I've made lighting changes too, so it's a bit more like how it looks in the overview. Anyway,

+ Show Spoiler [old overview] +
[image loading]

[image loading]

The main changes regard the Clockwise 4th base, which has been pushed a slight bit away from its respective 3rd base, and opened up. It now also sits next to a 4-width ramp, instead of 3.
"If you find yourself feeling lost, take pride in the accuracy of your feelings." - Night Vale
Aunvilgod
Profile Joined December 2011
2653 Posts
June 05 2012 23:44 GMT
#14
Hmm. It actually seems easier to me to just take the three bottom bases and not the center ones. At least the outer lowground base is the best 4th to take. Just as a note, I don´t think anything needs to be changed.
ilovegroov | Blizzards mapmaker(s?) suck ass | #1 Protoss hater
RumbleBadger
Profile Joined July 2011
322 Posts
June 05 2012 23:55 GMT
#15
I feel like there's some proportion issues with the map. Most of the high ground areas are very choky and tight, while the low ground areas are huuuuge. Widening the central path a little (doesn't have to be much) as well as bulking out some of the ramps a tad would help, and also larger obstructions on the low ground would help too.
Games before dames.
NewSunshine
Profile Joined July 2011
United States5938 Posts
June 06 2012 00:14 GMT
#16
On June 06 2012 08:55 RumbleBadger wrote:
I feel like there's some proportion issues with the map. Most of the high ground areas are very choky and tight, while the low ground areas are huuuuge. Widening the central path a little (doesn't have to be much) as well as bulking out some of the ramps a tad would help, and also larger obstructions on the low ground would help too.

I'm not sure that's so much an issue, as it is the way the map plays. I'm all for fixing something that's a problem, but I don't want to conform to what a normal map looks like just because it's the standard. I feel this map would be very different if I were to sort of homogenize the openness, and I'm not sure it's necessary(come up with a specific problem area though, and I could crank out a reasonable fix np). Keep the thoughts and feedback coming though! I do appreciate the opinions/advice so far.
"If you find yourself feeling lost, take pride in the accuracy of your feelings." - Night Vale
Jebediah
Profile Joined April 2012
Germany106 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-06 00:42:37
June 06 2012 00:41 GMT
#17
On June 06 2012 09:14 NewSunshine wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 06 2012 08:55 RumbleBadger wrote:
I feel like there's some proportion issues with the map. Most of the high ground areas are very choky and tight, while the low ground areas are huuuuge. Widening the central path a little (doesn't have to be much) as well as bulking out some of the ramps a tad would help, and also larger obstructions on the low ground would help too.

(...) I feel this map would be very different if I were to sort of homogenize the openness (...)


I agree, if a player manages to force a fight on his terms, he actually has an advantage and that's how it should be.

Any chance of seeing the map published on EU soon? :D Would really like to try it out.
Are the analyzer pics showing the playable area or do they just cut off at the border of the ground? The airspace in the overview looks excessive, but I doubt that it shows the playable area.
NewSunshine
Profile Joined July 2011
United States5938 Posts
June 06 2012 00:52 GMT
#18
On June 06 2012 09:41 Jebediah wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 06 2012 09:14 NewSunshine wrote:
On June 06 2012 08:55 RumbleBadger wrote:
I feel like there's some proportion issues with the map. Most of the high ground areas are very choky and tight, while the low ground areas are huuuuge. Widening the central path a little (doesn't have to be much) as well as bulking out some of the ramps a tad would help, and also larger obstructions on the low ground would help too.

(...) I feel this map would be very different if I were to sort of homogenize the openness (...)


I agree, if a player manages to force a fight on his terms, he actually has an advantage and that's how it should be.

Any chance of seeing the map published on EU soon? :D Would really like to try it out.
Are the analyzer pics showing the playable area or do they just cut off at the border of the ground? The airspace in the overview looks excessive, but I doubt that it shows the playable area.

You are correct, the overview shows the full bounds, the playable bounds have no excess airspace.

I can get it published on EU before too long hopefully, if Raven doesn't hate the name at least.

*crosses fingers*
"If you find yourself feeling lost, take pride in the accuracy of your feelings." - Night Vale
TheSwamp
Profile Joined November 2010
United States1497 Posts
June 06 2012 03:15 GMT
#19
If you click the spoiler really fast, the map dances.
MLG: How is your Protoss? Idra: I make Blink Stalkers, so really, really good.
Reptilia
Profile Joined June 2010
Chile913 Posts
June 06 2012 03:18 GMT
#20
i like it a lot but i feel that you can't choose to engage vs your opponent in a wide area.
I imagine this in a TvP where the protoss has a deathball and you must find an open area to do the engagement.
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
20:00
Kung Fu Cup Weekly #26
IntoTheiNu 784
RotterdaM319
SteadfastSC153
TKL 135
Rex86
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 319
ByuN 225
TKL 135
SteadfastSC 131
Rex 83
Codebar 42
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 30152
Shuttle 1801
Mong 803
Bisu 660
Jaedong 652
Horang2 473
Soulkey 332
actioN 261
Mini 256
firebathero 245
[ Show more ]
Stork 239
Soma 230
BeSt 205
Larva 164
Zeus 144
EffOrt 132
Rush 128
Last 125
Snow 111
ZerO 101
Pusan 77
910 76
Hyun 71
Mind 68
PianO 65
Free 63
Yoon 63
Sexy 54
Shine 50
Sharp 47
hero 42
Shinee 33
sorry 28
Bale 24
JYJ 21
HiyA 19
ZergMaN 18
ToSsGirL 18
Aegong 15
Hm[arnc] 13
yabsab 12
scan(afreeca) 11
Sacsri 9
Noble 7
Dota 2
Dendi441
canceldota88
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1339
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King224
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes441
Other Games
gofns57716
singsing2170
B2W.Neo283
Lowko277
DeMusliM209
Pyrionflax187
Livibee140
Trikslyr28
ZerO(Twitch)8
QueenE4
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV172
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 88
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream31
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV471
League of Legends
• Jankos1251
Other Games
• Shiphtur578
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
4h 3m
The PondCast
22h 3m
INu's Battles
23h 3m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 10h
Replay Cast
1d 11h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.