• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:13
CEST 00:13
KST 07:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)52Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9283 users

[M] (2) On Rainy Days

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-11 17:55:10
January 09 2012 08:39 GMT
#1
[image loading]

On Rainy Days 0.5
Published on NA


[image loading]

Concept: The idea here was to create a map with contrast between very tight choke points and fairly wide open areas. It was also used to experiment with small scattered (with thought) doodads in the open areas to keep them from being too open for SC2 standards and also to break up death balls and increase ability for micro. Hopefully all this rewards the better player and brings good and interesting games as well.

+ Show Spoiler [overviews] +


[image loading]

[image loading]



+ Show Spoiler [data] +

Travel Distance: 44 seconds ramp-to-ramp
Size: 140x140
Bases: 10 (all 8min 2gas)

Tileset:
-Ulaan Dirt
-Ulaan Dirt Cracked
-Ulaan Pebbles
-Ulaan Rocky
-Ulaan Grunge
-Ulaan Rough Rock
-Aiur Small Bricks
-Char Mud

-Ulaan Organic Cliffs
-Aiur Manmade cliffs

Lighting: Braxis Alpha


+ Show Spoiler [analyzer] +


[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

Note: Analyzer pics don't show the trees which are around in the middle open areas, so it makes it look to open. Please see the overview pic to see where these trees are.



Destructible Rocks and Xel Naga Watchtowers:

There are none. Nor are there any LoSB. Not yet sure where to put any, I would love suggestions. Rocks can be added as necessary.

+ Show Spoiler [changelog] +

0.5 - Touched up some textures.
0.4 - Moved the natural back a few squares.
0.3 - Added a doodad to one of the natural which was left out in version 0.2
0.2 - Changed natural setup, added LoSB on the unpathable high ground areas, added textures
0.1 - initial release

all's fair in love and melodies
Yonnua
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United Kingdom2331 Posts
January 09 2012 09:59 GMT
#2
Building on bridges? If so, can the central bridges be blocked by planetaries?
LRSL 2014 Finalist! PartinG | Mvp | Bomber | Creator | NaNiwa | herO
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
January 09 2012 10:52 GMT
#3
The wide ones can, yes. It's similar to Bel Shir Beach in that regard, and no one has ever built planetaries there that I'm aware of, plus this map has the additional small bridge which would make that even less viable. The roundabout paths are longer, though, and those might need to be shortened if control over the bridges is too strong. I may need to widen those bridges a bit.

This map is actually a fair bit like Bel Shir Beach, I now see.
all's fair in love and melodies
TheSamuraj
Profile Joined October 2011
Netherlands27 Posts
January 09 2012 11:14 GMT
#4
Nice map really like all the bridges <3
got one concern though can u siege above the natural and lay fire upon the mineral line? It definetly seems like it.
"Be ready for all the miracles that are going to happen today": A Friend of Day[9]
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
January 09 2012 16:29 GMT
#5
You can reach to the minerals but I don't think past them to the workers. Still not necessarily ideal. I think I have to line the cliff with LosB as well because in this version you can see over it, which isn't intentional.

I'm going to adjust the natural anyway and update the map today.
all's fair in love and melodies
HyTex
Profile Joined August 2011
United States67 Posts
January 11 2012 05:15 GMT
#6
I've always wondered why we don't see bridges in popular maps. I think a 1FF wide bridge from a island (in blink range) to connect to the main would be an idea to try out, instead of the normal ramp to high ground base.
FlyingToilet
Profile Joined August 2011
United States840 Posts
January 11 2012 05:38 GMT
#7
This map is amazing looking, except the bridges to the main shouldn't have to be split up into 2 side by side. Seems kinda favored against zerg, but overall everything else looks awesome!
http://justin.tv/flyingtoilet
BlueBoxSC
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States582 Posts
January 11 2012 06:29 GMT
#8
I like how it looks, and I like the fact that there's rain! I live in a freaking desert.

And the bridges seem like they would create some racial imbalances, ie sieges, FF, etc. against Z, which isn't that huge a deal because this isn't exactly going to be the next GSL finals map. Mirror matchups would be really cool on this map, methinks.
BwCBlueBox.837
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
January 11 2012 08:36 GMT
#9
Oh, thanks, guys. I don't want to jump to the conclusion that the bridges are imbalanced, for various reasons. No one complains about this on Destination, for example. Anyway, I'm stubborn and won't admit it's bad without a heap of evidence.

all's fair in love and melodies
XenoX101
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia729 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-11 14:25:22
January 11 2012 14:25 GMT
#10
Great map but I think the third base's bridges are way too close to the main, putting siege tanks there with rines behind them I can't see a zerg being able to break that, just move the bridges a bit away from the third and it should work well.
CaptainCrush
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States785 Posts
January 11 2012 15:31 GMT
#11
I think this looks great, I like the idea of having a bridge choke instead of a ramp choke, that way height and vision arent as much of a factor. I dont think all maps should be like that but this looks interesting for a change of pace.
a176
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada6688 Posts
January 11 2012 16:08 GMT
#12
On January 11 2012 17:36 Gfire wrote:
Oh, thanks, guys. I don't want to jump to the conclusion that the bridges are imbalanced, for various reasons. No one complains about this on Destination, for example. Anyway, I'm stubborn and won't admit it's bad without a heap of evidence.



I really appreciate that you're trying out original concepts. But BW =/= SC2.

I like the general layout of the map and I'm sure you can do something with it.
starleague forever
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
January 11 2012 17:18 GMT
#13
Alright. I think this requires a question: When a Terran beats a Zerg with a Tank push on this map, does that mean the Terran had to outplay the Zerg to do so? I couldn't say.

I do think people answer this question differently between the mapping forum and when a map is in a tournament. I think with the proper use of flanking this map has the potential to be acceptable, if only after being adjusted a little.

I'm a little disheartened that it is condemned so easily. Even for educational purposes only, I would love to see people play it. I kind of feel this way about new concepts, that they should be played a bit to further our understanding even if they could be considered bad after a look at the map.

I think, due to flanking and the longer rush distance, the bridges at the third wouldn't be as difficult to defend as the one at the natural. I think I'll move the natural back a little for a little more space there, so they can't assault as directly from the bridges, and shouldn't have to gain any terrain advantage that way. It's a pretty subtle change but I think it's good to keep changes small to begin with.

all's fair in love and melodies
docvoc
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States5491 Posts
January 11 2012 17:28 GMT
#14
Looks really great, i like the idea of having bridges instead of completely open land masses. Idk if its a new idea, but i can't tell how open the big bridge is for zerg surrouds. Also are the ledges close enough for dropped seige tanks and collosus to seige openly on bases? Also can planetaries block the little bridges, if so would that be a map imbalance?
User was warned for too many mimes.
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
January 11 2012 17:39 GMT
#15
Yeah. If necessary, I can make the bridges unbuidable like ramps, I guess. I like the idea of controlling the space and literally not letting someone else through there without some strong way of dealing with it. Whether it's balanced, though, is yet to be seen. Defensive planetaries (not at a base) are basically never used so hopefully this just makes them "viable" and not op.

Do you mean the ledges by the far corner expansions? That corner base can be sieged by it, but those sorts of vulnerabilities matter less in the later game when taking that. It has the potential to swing the favor towards Terran in the endgame of TvZ, which is seems like many maps also do. They are pretty far away in the corners, though, so I think it should be better for Zerg than a map like Shakuras at that stage of the game.

Updating to version 0.4 where the natural has been pushed back a few squares.
all's fair in love and melodies
kappadevin
Profile Joined February 2011
United States284 Posts
January 12 2012 02:44 GMT
#16
Those bridges to the natural/third would be a nightmare to play vs a terran as a zerg. You park your tanks in that choke by the third and there is virtually nothing the Zerg can do to break that as all the lings and banelings would be funneled down into a perfect little line for all the tanks to smash to bits.
Little Tortilla Boy
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10567 Posts
January 12 2012 03:23 GMT
#17
Map looks like a 2 player map of destination and fighting spirit combined in terms of the bridges and the third base. You may need to widen the bridges at the 3rd, or make it one large bridge so that tanks can't just park there and sit.
Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-12 03:40:55
January 12 2012 03:33 GMT
#18
I was hoping that you could flank if they attacked the third. We'll see, if it's too difficult I was thinking of pushing the base back and removing that tree area or something.

The natural ones, on the other hand, are different, because if you set the tanks so far back you have to funnel your units through the choke to attack them, then they won't be close enough to you to actually hit anything. It would only be a contain. Still could be too powerful, though.

The map is actually bigger than it looks, and the siege tank range doesn't seem to reach as far as one would expect.

I guess I'm gonna get some games played so I'll see how it goes.
all's fair in love and melodies
Ragoo
Profile Joined March 2010
Germany2773 Posts
January 12 2012 12:51 GMT
#19
Bridges are a good way to divide big army balls, so that gives a nice defender's advantage the way you used it.

What you need to do is reduce the openness (probably by reducing the map size). Those huge pink chunks you see on the analyzer summary are NOT good.
Also make the third easier/closer and make the transition to a fourth better (add a base at 5 and 11 probably)
Member of TPW mapmaking team/// twitter.com/Ragoo_ /// "goody represents border between explainable reason and supernatural" Cloud
Meltage
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany613 Posts
January 13 2012 13:36 GMT
#20
Nice general concept with more chokes and openess rather than an overall-balance of openess.
I agree on bases being too far from one another. I also think the 12 and 6 oclock bridges should be a wider path, to provide a wider attack path. Right now, armys must push over the bridges on a 3 bases game.
http://mentalbalans.se/aggedesign
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 47m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 117
SpeCial 102
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12311
Artosis 272
Bale 12
League of Legends
Doublelift3308
JimRising 473
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox314
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4744
Khaldor1178
Liquid`Hasu737
Other Games
summit1g7285
shahzam505
FrodaN145
ArmadaUGS77
NeuroSwarm73
Mew2King61
JuggernautJason50
ViBE41
PPMD11
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV225
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream58
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 35
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 23
• blackmanpl 14
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie868
• Scarra391
• Shiphtur200
Upcoming Events
OSC
1h 47m
Stellar Fest
14h 47m
OSC
23h 47m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 11h
Online Event
1d 12h
FEL
1d 17h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 18h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 20h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.