• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:07
CEST 06:07
KST 13:07
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BW General Discussion [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Rp8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8124 users

Chess 960 Match - TL Community Chess Match 5

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-23 05:11:11
January 07 2012 04:12 GMT
#1
If you want to join in and don't know wtf is going on please refer to the second post of this thread.

The Draft


1st Nb3
2nd c3
3rd h3
4th f4
5th d3
6th f3
7th b3
8th a4
9th d4
10th g4
11th e3
12th g3
13th Nh3
14th Nf3
15th h4
16th e4
17th b4
18th a3
19th c4


And the lucky draw is... Nh3. My friend chose number 13 a while ago, so that's that.


The Actual Position


[image loading]

Edit: By the way this was starting position 363.

Here it is!


Move Deadlines


You'll have a whole week for the first move. Enough to make plans for both you and me.

13:00 KST, 30th January, Monday.
6:00 CET, 30th January, Monday.
0:01 EST, 30th January, Monday.


For copyright reasons I have to mention that I made the screenshot from the software ChessBase. I own a legal copy, but the copyrights are held by the appropriate firm that I will look up once the game gets underway.
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-23 05:10:21
January 07 2012 04:12 GMT
#2
Plea


Please spread the hype and make this grow bigger. It will be fun. Make shoutouts, direct people who would might be interested here, etc. etc.

Poll: Intrigued?

Yes. (13)
 
76%

My vote doesn't count. (4)
 
24%

17 total votes

Your vote: Intrigued?

(Vote): Yes.
(Vote): My vote doesn't count.



The Starting Position


[image loading]

Edit: By the way this is position 363.

Here it is!


I hope you will find the position as intriguing as I did. I actually generated five random starting positions and chose the one that was the most interesting looking and that had it's characteristics as little concentrated as possible while being as different from the normal starting position as possible.

Starting Date Updated!!


13:00 KST, 23rd January, Monday.
6:00 CET, 23rd January, Monday.
0:01 EST, 23rd January, Monday.


The What


I think it would be nice to start another chess match - not because the other is too deep in the game, but because there seems to be an interest. This time around though I want to make it another variant to make it a little more fun - not to say different - from the game already running.

960 random chess is one of the better known chess variants, you can find the rules here. I would encourage everyone to read it and ask questions if something is not clear. I will pick the starting position completely randomly out of all the possibilities.

Since I am black in the other game I will play white in this one. But to make it even more random I will choose my first move completely randomly. I will number them and just throw a die to decide. As such when I post my first move I will leave you either six days or a whole week to both analyze and decide on the starting position.

To avoid collisions with the other game we'll take moves in an alternating manner. When it's my turn in the other game it will be yours in this one and vica versa.

Signing up is completely optional, and it shows your intention to be on the starting roster, plus it will make it possible for me to send you a reminding PM when the game starts. Otherwise you can just start voting right away as it runs.

The When


It will start somewhere between ten-twenty days from now, but certainly before the start of February.

The How


Everything will be completely and entirely the same as the other running game. Me vs your votes, three days per move. You can find the guidelines, rules, and get a general glance and taste of how something like this is going from this thread.



Well that's all so far. Feel free to post ideas, signups, thoughts even before the game starts.

Cheers,
me

For copyright reasons I have to mention that I made the screenshot from the software ChessBase. I own a legal copy, but the copyrights are held by the appropriate firm that I will look up once the game gets underway.
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
January 07 2012 04:12 GMT
#3
R.
chesshaha
Profile Joined March 2010
United States1117 Posts
January 07 2012 04:18 GMT
#4
Signing up.
"Hopefully you're not the real TLO so it's not casted" - SpecialK
Bill Murray
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States9292 Posts
January 07 2012 04:22 GMT
#5
Is this where the pieces are arranged randomly on the back row?
i'll play regardless
University of Kentucky Basketball #1
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
January 09 2012 03:11 GMT
#6
Well... You guys certainly don't shower you with your undisputed interest here. Eh-eh.
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-10 00:01:15
January 10 2012 00:00 GMT
#7
I'll sign up. No need for reminding PMs, though: when I go to TL, I always check http://www.teamliquid.net/mytlnet/myposts.php?action=last_reply first.

By the way, why not post the starting position right away?
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
January 10 2012 00:54 GMT
#8
I need a few days to myself. Starting last time was hectic and right in the middle of a lot of things, I want to go calmer and more collected this time.

I started doing the PM thing when I was asked by several people in a row. It's not all that much hassle and I'm happy to spend that extra few minutes on it.

Funny, I played blitz for most of my trans-ocean flight and it made me wanna play a little, but the forum things are good enough now. Don't really want to spend more than that on actively playing and I'll probably start coaching soon, too. Should be fun - and time consuming enough - along with the TL stuff.
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
January 10 2012 01:36 GMT
#9
On January 10 2012 09:54 Ng5 wrote:
I need a few days to myself. Starting last time was hectic and right in the middle of a lot of things, I want to go calmer and more collected this time.
I didn't mean why not start the game now, just why not post the starting position now. Gives us something to look at.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
GenesisX
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada4267 Posts
January 10 2012 03:55 GMT
#10
signing up
133 221 333 123 111
jampidampi
Profile Joined December 2011
Finland386 Posts
January 10 2012 16:53 GMT
#11
Sign me in!
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
January 11 2012 02:44 GMT
#12
Hm...

I'll try to remind myself of posting a position this weekend. I will not make it completely random though - if it's too close to the 'normal' starting position I will make the random create another position. I want this to be something different - at least for the first dozen or so moves.

I'm willing to give you more time to look at the initial position or even on the first few moves. That would also give me more time to try and find some crazy opening plans for after the first move.
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-17 05:10:03
January 17 2012 04:47 GMT
#13
Okay guys. Here is the starting position for you to have something to look at, and a few minor updates to the OP.

Don't forget that these are different rules to regular chess - the rules are being linked to, but if you want I could maybe include it in a later post or in spoilers.

Let's make a deal. You have almost a week to look at it. After the deadline of the other chess match going I will make my move in that on in one day, so your next turn will run out late Sunday/early Monday. That's when I will make a random move on this board, and you will have a good set of days to argue for your next move.

I would like to say a whole week, but I do not want to make it too boring if there's not a lot of people interested, so let's wait and see.

Edit: Also adding a counter poll to the OP.
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
January 17 2012 05:11 GMT
#14
This is pretty neat.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
January 17 2012 05:19 GMT
#15
Cool! Small thing: could you post the board with Black on the bottom?
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-17 05:23:12
January 17 2012 05:23 GMT
#16
Oh sure, here you go.

Hope you like the position.
Zen5034
Profile Joined July 2011
United States384 Posts
January 17 2012 15:30 GMT
#17
The castling thing blows my mind.
Jaedong!
calgar
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
United States1277 Posts
January 17 2012 16:04 GMT
#18
I'm down.
Raysalis
Profile Joined July 2010
Malaysia1034 Posts
January 17 2012 16:25 GMT
#19
This will be interesting. At least we will have plenty to discuss from move 1
:)
Mash2
Profile Joined February 2011
United States132 Posts
January 17 2012 16:36 GMT
#20
I'm in for this one as well.
"Quite often the flood of history is undammed or diverted by the character and actions of one man." - Pat Frank, "Alas, Babylon"
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 53m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SortOf 24
Nina 21
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2407
Shinee 57
NotJumperer 16
Noble 7
Dota 2
monkeys_forever867
NeuroSwarm194
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft449
Other Games
summit1g7680
Coldzera 747
JimRising 687
C9.Mang0372
PiGStarcraft263
ArmadaUGS41
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1019
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream362
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo1000
• Rush974
• Stunt191
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5h 53m
Afreeca Starleague
5h 53m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
19h 53m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 6h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.