• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:00
CEST 01:00
KST 08:00
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9144 users

Brutal NUR, Marine only

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 HotS
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 11 12 13 Next All
Shiladie
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Canada1631 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-13 14:06:54
September 23 2010 07:19 GMT
#1
Edit: For skill-level I am an 1100 diamond zerg player, my only terran experience is from the campaign and a few 3v3 or 4v4 games.

I said I'd try it in the original Brutal No upgrade run thread, and I've now had the time to knock a few of these out.

The rules:
The only units that may be trained are marines and SCVs (this includes not being allowed to summon mercenaries)
No between mission armoury upgrades or research may be used
Difficulty is obviously Brutal
Protoss missions, only zealots are allowed to be built.
This means my primary unit will be marines without stim, combat shield, or medics to heal them.

I am able to build bunkers and turrets though, so i expect to be using plenty of those...
I also can use the units granted to me at the start of the mission, or as rescues throughout(this does not mean I can build more of those though)

So far I've done:

1 - Liberation Day (no VOD)
2 - The Oulaws (no VOD)
3 - Zero Hour (no VOD)
4 - Smash and Grab
5 - The Devil's Playground
6 - Welcome to the Jungle
7 - The Great Train Robbery
8 - Cutthroat
9 - The Dig
10 - Engine of Destruction
11 - Media Blitz
12 - Breakout (no VOD)
13 - Moebius Factor
14 - Piercing the Shroud (no VOD)
15 - The Evacuation
16 - Outbreak
17 - Safe Haven
18 - Supernova
19 - Maw of th Void
20 - Whispers of Doom (No VOD)
21 - A Sinister Turn
22 - Echoes of the Future
23 - In Utter Darkness
24 - Gates of Hell
25a - Shatter the Sky
25b - Belly of the Beast (No VOD)

I have gotten camtasia working adequetly and have begun uploading to youtube. It will be a bit before I get all of the one's I've done so far uploaded. I started getting huge lag spikes during the dig, so those may appear in the video too...

http://www.youtube.com/user/ShiladieSC


I have done the protoss missions with just zealots to compliment this run and try and make it complete.

I will be going back and doing the alternate missions I missed after I finish All-in (mostly talking haven's fall here)
skronch
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States2717 Posts
September 23 2010 07:28 GMT
#2
haha good luck....even if you complete everything else, all in is going to be RIDICULOUSLY hard. i'd love to see a video if you manage to complete it
Chocobo
Profile Joined November 2006
United States1108 Posts
September 23 2010 07:41 GMT
#3
All In will be easy if you allow yourself to use the zerg mind control tower. Otherwise it'll be completely impossible. Maw of the Void might be impossible.
hellokitty[hk]
Profile Joined June 2009
United States1309 Posts
September 23 2010 07:51 GMT
#4
What about mobius?
You should just allow youself to use a single Hercules.
People are imbeciles, lucky thing god made cats.
DHD
Profile Joined September 2010
United States18 Posts
September 23 2010 08:47 GMT
#5
why do this? and yeah , maw of the void will be impossible
TheDominator
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
New Zealand336 Posts
September 23 2010 08:57 GMT
#6
wow. this will be difficult. seven levels though... but the last level will be IMPOSSIBLE. crazy impossible. good luck!
You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun.
professorjoak
Profile Joined July 2008
318 Posts
September 23 2010 09:17 GMT
#7
Beside the obvious All In problem, think for just one second about Maw of the Void. There's clearly no way to kill all the shield generators with just marines+dts or 1 battlecruiser.
"The different branches of Arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision." --Lewis Carroll
teekesselchen
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany886 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-23 09:46:02
September 23 2010 09:44 GMT
#8
I think Maw of the Void will be absolutely impossible. I guess the marines can't even reach the generators before dying. All in... maybe with enough planetary fortresses, yeah.
The Dig has quite some Colossi in the later stages so I don't see how you can tell that it will be so easy? :D
Haven's fall on the other hand doesn't sound too hard to me.
When they were introduced, he made a witticism, hoping to be liked. She laughed extremely hard, hoping to be liked. Then each drove home alone, staring straight ahead, with the very same twist to their faces.
The Touch
Profile Joined September 2010
United Kingdom667 Posts
September 23 2010 11:53 GMT
#9
Good luck on the Ihan Crystal missions :p

Seriously though, I'm interested in watching the vids of your successes. It sounds like a fun and interesting (though extremely frustrating) challenge.
You Got The Touch
Macavenger
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States1132 Posts
September 23 2010 13:53 GMT
#10
Haven's Fall doesn't seem like it would be too bad, and if you're not going for 29/29 do Safe Haven instead and it should be really easy. I did it with pure Medic/Marine once and it was really easy, like the first three losing Medics shouldn't change much. The Nexuses were obviously trivial, and for the Purifier you just keep all your Marines clumped together and run directly up to the Mothership, run into the Vortex once it pops, then right click the Mothership afterwards. With ~100 Marines it evaporates in about 2 seconds.
ohlala
Profile Joined October 2007
Germany232 Posts
September 23 2010 14:15 GMT
#11
why are you people doing this to yourself?
dudeman001
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States2412 Posts
September 23 2010 14:27 GMT
#12
I would say due to certain map mechanics like.... kill-everything-in-this-radius in Maw, your proposed marine-play will go unfinished. Colossi on The Dig will completely f you up unless you bunker up like crazy. Without being able to get any research either... you're boned. But best of luck to you in your bloody marine struggle!
Sup.
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-23 14:57:24
September 23 2010 14:53 GMT
#13
Maw is going to be insanely difficult, though the DTs and starting BCs might be able to manage it somehow?

Gates of Hell should be no problem really, so many rescued units and marines work great in general for blasting through to the nydus worms.

All-in should be impossible. You won't be able to kill the nydus worms consistently and ultras should have their old stats of generic damage meaning they'll rip apart marines. You can go air but... lol hahahahaaha good luck with that. I guess if you can keep the 2-3 BCs you start with alive you have a shot, but I kinda doubt it.

What about the mobius mission (the one with Kerrigan rampaging through a city). You'll have what, 2 medivacs to complete the mission with? Seems very impractical.
Logo
MangoTango
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States3670 Posts
September 23 2010 15:06 GMT
#14
Haha, I thought the Brutal NUR thread was going to be stupid hard on All-In, this takes the cake. Marines against mass Ultra? No tanks? Marines against mass Brood Lord? No Medic support? Rofl, glhf with that!

if you manage it though!
"One fish, two fish, red fish, BLUE TANK!" - Artosis
Triky
Profile Joined September 2010
Peru99 Posts
September 23 2010 15:06 GMT
#15
wow, this would be very very hard :O
my life for pylo!
Shiladie
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Canada1631 Posts
September 23 2010 16:10 GMT
#16
I have a plan for maw that will be fucked up if it works, otherwise I'm planning on doing it very slowly with yammato cannon from the original BC to kill detection.

The dig will be easy, but take a while. My plan is to just bunker up and snipe off all the immortals+colossus with the laser.

Gates of hell I think will be easier then i first thought, my concern was that without upgrades the marines may be torn apart and unable to get to the rescue points.

Supernova, my concern is the HTs that will rape a marine force, I'll probably end up doing this by cheesing the last base by letting the fire kill everything and then hoping to last-hit the temple.

Mobius I'm not too worried about, enough rescue troops, and I think I know a quick and dirty way to get the last base.

For All-in, I have a few different plans for fucked up strats that may work, I'm tossing between which version will be easier(less impossible), as I have cheese strats going through my head for both right now. I'll probably need to do the ground version because of broodlords though.

When(if?) I get to all-in I'll probably start streaming if it doesn't mess with fraps (total video capture noob here)
Shiladie
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Canada1631 Posts
September 23 2010 16:17 GMT
#17
On September 23 2010 20:53 The Touch wrote:
Good luck on the Ihan Crystal missions :p

Seriously though, I'm interested in watching the vids of your successes. It sounds like a fun and interesting (though extremely frustrating) challenge.


Heh, I could probably do zealot only, utter darkness would be the killer, I'd need to micro the troops given nearly perfectly...
JHancho
Profile Joined May 2010
United States166 Posts
September 23 2010 16:20 GMT
#18
To answer your encoding question...

Camtasia works alright, as does Sony Vegas. You can also look into Virtual Dub (free!).

And GL, though I suspect you'll need a little more than that.
Take it easy. And if it is easy, it must be cheese
Shiladie
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Canada1631 Posts
September 23 2010 16:55 GMT
#19
On September 24 2010 01:20 JHancho wrote:
To answer your encoding question...

Camtasia works alright, as does Sony Vegas. You can also look into Virtual Dub (free!).

And GL, though I suspect you'll need a little more than that.


tyty, I'll see if I can grab one of those off demonoid or somewhere
Fa1nT
Profile Joined September 2010
United States3423 Posts
September 23 2010 17:06 GMT
#20
Doing ALL missions or just campaign?

I highly doubt Safe Haven is possible with just marines, the purifier will destroy your base long befoer you can kill the last nexus.


I also thing the Dig would be difficult, you might actually just run out of minerals.
1 2 3 4 5 11 12 13 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
CranKy Ducklings8
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O141
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 1085
ZZZero.O 141
Bale 17
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm141
League of Legends
Doublelift5296
JimRising 700
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby6663
Other Games
summit1g8793
FrodaN3058
KnowMe207
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1203
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream31
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie955
• Shiphtur152
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
11h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
12h
Monday Night Weeklies
17h
Replay Cast
1d
Afreeca Starleague
1d 11h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 12h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.