• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:08
CEST 02:08
KST 09:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)53Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9256 users

[?] PvZ -> Zealot Speed Into 2 Stargate

Forum Index > Brood War Strategy
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
OptimusTom
Profile Joined October 2009
United States154 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-10 01:28:19
February 10 2010 01:19 GMT
#1
Hey guys, I'm a D level Protoss right now, and I was just wondering your take on this strategy I tried to copy from while watching a stream.

The basis was that versus Zerg, he FE into citadel first, before Stargate. Research Leg Enhancements and throw down another Gateway. As the research ticks away and you pump Zealots from your 1, soon to be 2 gates, put down 2 Stargates and pump Corsairs. As soon as the speed upgrade finishes, rush out with whatever Zealots you have and harass the crap out of their Overlords with your massive Corsair army. You can either deny a 3rd, rush into the main and take out the pool/hydra den/spire, or go straight for workers.

I'm just curious as to what everyone else's take is on this (I browsed around the forum and didn't seem to see anything referring to this idea). I for one have crushed almost all of my recent Zerg opponents at the D/D+ level with this idea. It seems fairly weak against an early ling all-in, as I found out the hard way. But if protected properly, this seems to do massive damage to most zergs. I guess my question is, does this work for anyone else? Or for people at higher levels?

I'll try posting a replay as soon as I find out how ><;

[EDIT: Here's an example of me loosely using this idea against a Zerg on Destination. The only real difference here is instead of throwing up a lot of Gateways, I rushed observers after my first few Zealots to anticipate the Lurker counter I seem to always see. Causes the game to be drawn out very long. That and I suck at base management. Most games are about half as long as this ^^;

http://repdepot.net/replay.php?id=31096 ]
De4ngus
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States6533 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-10 01:51:01
February 10 2010 01:49 GMT
#2
First of all, this build isn't any weaker vs zergling all-ins than any other build is after fe. Second, I don't get what you're trying to achieve with this OP.

"Hey look I always win, will I keep winning?"

BTW you should know that it works at "higher levels" since you saw it on stream in the first place -_-

Here is a pro game of it anyway.

GANDHISAUCE
OptimusTom
Profile Joined October 2009
United States154 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-10 01:58:14
February 10 2010 01:56 GMT
#3
I was just curious on people's opinions on the build, how reliable it could be, if there's some sort of counter that completely rapes it I ave yet to encounter. After all, I read the rules and the [?] is a request for information, unless I'm mistaken? I appreciate the VOD though, thank you very much. And true, the build shouldn't die to ling all-ins more than any other, that is probably just my lack of skill.

EDIT: The stream I was watching at the time was of a C- player, so I was also curious as to if it held up in levels beyond that, or as you cited in the pros.
Ftrunkz
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
Australia2474 Posts
February 10 2010 01:57 GMT
#4
a teammate of mine who's a high level zerg said this build is really popular atm and he struggles with it, it works really well because a lot of zergs will counter an early spinning forge (expected early +1 zealot attack) by going muta. then the duel stargates come into play and the sairs rape the overlords and the +1 zealots have a field day on zerglings.

I'm yet to try it tho, but it seems as if like most +1 zealot attacks, good sim city would simply stop it and lots of scourge will stop the corsair threat as usual.
@NvPinder on twitter | Member of Gamecom Nv | http://www.clan-ta.com | http://www.youtube.com/user/ftrunkz | http://www.twitchtv.com/xghpinder
Stone
Profile Joined February 2009
United Kingdom155 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-10 02:05:34
February 10 2010 01:58 GMT
#5
OptimusTom, ur not alone with this build bud, its become quite common for p to open with speed zeal after FE, although perhaps not so common to switch into 2 stargate afterwords. i believe the trick is determining from early recon wether or not to attack before speed finishes, and or to ajust the timing of your build based on zergs early build. Their are alot of variations of when to time the attack with the zealots.
Usurper
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Macedonia283 Posts
February 10 2010 02:01 GMT
#6
On February 10 2010 10:19 OptimusTom wrote:
Hey guys, I'm a D level Protoss right now, and I was just wondering your take on this strategy I tried to copy from while watching a stream.

The basis was that versus Zerg, he FE into citadel first, before Stargate. Research Leg Enhancements and throw down another Gateway. As the research ticks away and you pump Zealots from your 1, soon to be 2 gates, put down 2 Stargates and pump Corsairs. As soon as the speed upgrade finishes, rush out with whatever Zealots you have and harass the crap out of their Overlords with your massive Corsair army. You can either deny a 3rd, rush into the main and take out the pool/hydra den/spire, or go straight for workers.

I'm just curious as to what everyone else's take is on this (I browsed around the forum and didn't seem to see anything referring to this idea). I for one have crushed almost all of my recent Zerg opponents at the D/D+ level with this idea. It seems fairly weak against an early ling all-in, as I found out the hard way. But if protected properly, this seems to do massive damage to most zergs. I guess my question is, does this work for anyone else? Or for people at higher levels?

I'll try posting a replay as soon as I find out how ><;

[EDIT: Here's an example of me loosely using this idea against a Zerg on Destination. The only real difference here is instead of throwing up a lot of Gateways, I rushed observers after my first few Zealots to anticipate the Lurker counter I seem to always see. Causes the game to be drawn out very long. That and I suck at base management. Most games are about half as long as this ^^;

http://repdepot.net/replay.php?id=31096 ]


I've watched Nony going this build few days ago when he was streaming, and i liked it very much. His execution was top notch, rushing into Zerg sim cities with 8+ Speedlots (+1), and after the 3rd is down (and all Zeals have burned down due to Mutas - who have just popped out - or zerglings), you have like 4 Corsairs in base to start terrorizing the skies.
I love humanity. It is people that i can't stand.
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44336 Posts
February 10 2010 02:03 GMT
#7
Basically the fast zealot speed is a cheese designed to hit at a weird timing and fuck up a 3 hat lair zerg while the 2 stargate is your way of getting out of it if shit goes wrong or if the zerg survives with a bad eco but muta tech. It actually functions quite similarly to the old speedlot into archon build. The difference is that modern zergs have such good muta micro that archons cannot protect a probe line, especially with buildings blocking them. As such you need corsairs, and corsairs in sufficient numbers to stop a mutascourge allin wiping them out. You shouldn't always build up a fuckload of corsairs, that's situational and very bad (because v late storm) in the wrong contexts. But 150 gas thrown down for the extra production capacity is cheap and will save you if he has the muta. That's basically how and why it works.
It's not a build designed for general use. It's a specific situational build to exploit a zerg with poor scouting doing a specific build.

Don't do it every game but do be aware of it.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44336 Posts
February 10 2010 02:07 GMT
#8
On February 10 2010 10:57 Ftrunkz wrote:
I'm yet to try it tho, but it seems as if like most +1 zealot attacks, good sim city would simply stop it and lots of scourge will stop the corsair threat as usual.

A careless zerg will often sim city at the standard timing (especially because his 4th and 5th hats are usually a part of it). This build hits before then.

A protoss with +1 air (standard with double stargate) and stacked corsairs will eat through scourge like they're not even there.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Drums
Profile Joined February 2009
United States35 Posts
February 10 2010 02:20 GMT
#9
I was watching Nony's stream the other day and he used this build in every PvZ he did on tornado. So it works some what i higher levels. But nony was on his C+ account so he was playing kids that would lose to him no matter what he did. But what i did see is that he didnt kill any of the zerg straight up with it. BEcuase as zerg you look at the forge and see if the +1 is spinning. most of the zergs were ready for it and countered with a wall, good placed sunks and hydra's. Muta is a bad counter becuase of the dual stargate sair. That is imo anyways. and there are a few C/C+ zergs on my team that say mutas are bad counter. But over all the +1 speed lot timing attack build is good, Im C- protoss and iv been doing farely well with it. But like anything in this game, It has a counter it will never win you every game, and for builds to work you have to understand the goals of the build and how to execute them and how to recover and make the right decisions if it fails. Most of the time i seen nony retreating back to his base with what ever 4 or 5 lots he had left to defend while throwing up cannons and waiting for storms. So be scared of a hydra break if you do no damage, Cuz yo storms will be lait boy.

gg gl
why do i suck so bad?
Manlot
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Mexico111 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-10 02:27:31
February 10 2010 02:25 GMT
#10
I think I saw nony doing it with subtle differences. For example, sometimes he would make citadel first then gate then 2 SG. Sometimes He would make 2 SG fisrt. I think it's a pretty cool build if you know how to make those subtle changes.

Altought maybe I didn't paid enought atention.
OptimusTom
Profile Joined October 2009
United States154 Posts
February 10 2010 02:33 GMT
#11
On February 10 2010 11:25 Manlot wrote:
I think I saw nony doing it with subtle differences. For example, sometimes he would make citadel first then gate then 2 SG. Sometimes He would make 2 SG fisrt. I think it's a pretty cool build if you know how to make those subtle changes.

Altought maybe I didn't paid enought atention.


No, you're right. I've seen Nony do this a lot too. I'm pretty sure his timing and build choice depends on scouting information. He goes the Stargates first almost every time he can't scout information to see if it's a muta based or hydra based build. The advantages vs mutas are obvious, but vs hydras it lets yo stack your 4-6 corsairs and go to town on their supply limit. Since they have a bunch of hydras already, it really messes with them.
Xiphos
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada7507 Posts
February 10 2010 02:37 GMT
#12
Can't Lurkers rape this build?
2014 - ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ Raise your bows brood warriors! ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ
da_head
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Canada3350 Posts
February 10 2010 02:43 GMT
#13
On February 10 2010 11:37 Xiphos wrote:
Can't Lurkers rape this build?

that's what i was thinking :S
When they see MC Probe, all the ladies disrobe.
kineSiS-
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Korea (South)1068 Posts
February 10 2010 02:44 GMT
#14
What if you went 5 hatch hydra... ignoring the other BO which 3 Hatch Spire --> 5 Hatch Hydra. Because then your hatcheries would be put up so much faster, and my hydras out so much quicker, how would this build fair with a zerg that can simcity?
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44336 Posts
February 10 2010 02:48 GMT
#15
It's a situational build. Yes, in many situations it is raped. However those are the situations in which it should not be used. The key to this build is knowing when to use it and when not to. It is not a standard build for general use.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
OptimusTom
Profile Joined October 2009
United States154 Posts
February 10 2010 02:50 GMT
#16
On February 10 2010 11:44 kineSiS- wrote:
What if you went 5 hatch hydra... ignoring the other BO which 3 Hatch Spire --> 5 Hatch Hydra. Because then your hatcheries would be put up so much faster, and my hydras out so much quicker, how would this build fair with a zerg that can simcity?


It would rape, I've had it done to me. The zerg just needs to scout very well.

Lurkers do work too, but normally after the timing of the zealot attack I push out against with 12 or so more zealots, getting pushed back by lurkers, After that, I have enough time for about 4 gateways of Zealots Dragoons, and teched to Observers in response. Then the lurkers kind of melt, unless the map is destination with the bridges like the replay I posted.
Manlot
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Mexico111 Posts
February 10 2010 02:50 GMT
#17
Probably the corsairs would pop out around 5:40, maybe 5:20 if you cut probes, and that would help against those builds because you would be able to scout them.
Neon_Monkey
Profile Joined February 2008
United States270 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-10 02:55:39
February 10 2010 02:51 GMT
#18
The build can work out really well, but it can also backfire. If zerg responds to your really fast +1 by going lurker tech instead of a spire, then he can still have hydra tech ready by the time your corsairs become a threat.

I don't have much experience against this, but I had little trouble holding off this rush against Nony a few days ago by only making 5 mutalisks to fend off the initial rush before transitioning into hydra tech. Of course despite being handed 2 waves of zealots with minimal damage, I still ended up getting run over...

If the zerg doesn't anticipate the corsairs and goes the normal 11 mutalisks, then you will probably be in a really good position. I think there was some 30 minute game between Jaedong and Rock on un'goro crater a long time ago where such happened.

On February 10 2010 11:44 kineSiS- wrote:
What if you went 5 hatch hydra... ignoring the other BO which 3 Hatch Spire --> 5 Hatch Hydra. Because then your hatcheries would be put up so much faster, and my hydras out so much quicker, how would this build fair with a zerg that can simcity?


Pretty badly, but only if their simcity is incredibly good:
http://www.teamliquid.net/tlpd/games/30528_BackHo_vs_Hyuk/vod
Xiphos
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada7507 Posts
February 10 2010 03:12 GMT
#19
Okay now that I thought about this build, it can be actually be REALLY good versus Zergs. If you see Zergs doing the standard 3-Hatch Mutalisk into 5 Hatch Hydra, then this build would be fine if you get damage Zerg's base with the +1 Speedlot right before the Muta pops up but at that time you have already some Corsairs to defend against it and then continue popping Zealots to maybe end the game. BUT if the other guy goes Hydralisk (instead of Mutalisk), you know that he is not producing any Mutalisk soon, so that's STORM time! since you already have the Citadel and continue teching up for High Templar, WILL melt through the army.
2014 - ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ Raise your bows brood warriors! ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ
lazz
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Australia3119 Posts
February 10 2010 03:16 GMT
#20
i remember there was a time when i saw a lot of estro protosses use this build in broadcasted games but they ended up losing :/
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings13
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 158
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 9802
Rain 1689
Artosis 581
Bale 15
League of Legends
Doublelift4602
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox592
Mew2King251
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1071
Other Games
summit1g9777
Day[9].tv632
shahzam614
JimRising 519
PiGStarcraft215
C9.Mang0181
ArmadaUGS83
ViBE59
NeuroSwarm57
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV191
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream92
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 74
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP11
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 29
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie752
• Day9tv632
• Scarra559
• Shiphtur182
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
12h 52m
OSC
21h 52m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 9h
Online Event
1d 10h
FEL
1d 15h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 16h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 18h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.