|
I don't know how things work in the US, but in France, if someone gets involved in an accident under the influence of alcohol, or simply is controlled under the influence without having an accident, he may not even lose his license. Especially if it's his/her first offense. And even if he does, he'll be allowed to take the driving license tests again 6 months later, and he'll be driving again.
I feel even more strongly about this because I had my license revoked because I lost all the points of my license for being controlled several times by the same automatic radar for driving between 90-100 km/h (92-94-97) on a highway where the speed limit was 90 km/h (dunno how that translates into mph). It was 3 weekends in a row on my way home from my girlfriend's which means I didn't have the chance to even lie about who was driving the car (like every other French people would have done).
So basically, what I'm saying is : you are not paying attention to your speed counter for 3 seconds, and you're at risk of losing your license. On the other hand, you drink til you don't remember your name, and you drive, and you may end up NOT losing it. This is utter bullshit.
In my opinion, someone drinking and driving should immediately and FOR LIFE have his driving rights revoked. There is simply no excuse for such a lame and irresponsible behaviour.
How does it go in the States?
|
On June 17 2011 13:28 Husnan wrote: I don't know how things work in the US, but in France, if someone gets involved in an accident under the influence of alcohol, or simply is controlled under the influence without having an accident, he may not even lose his license. Especially if it's his/her first offense. And even if he does, he'll be allowed to take the driving license tests again 6 months later, and he'll be driving again.
I feel even more strongly about this because I had my license revoked because I lost all the points of my license for being controlled several times by the same automatic radar for driving between 90-100 km/h (92-94-97) on a highway where the speed limit was 90 km/h (dunno how that translates into mph). It was 3 weekends in a row on my way home from my girlfriend's which means I didn't have the chance to even lie about who was driving the car (like every other French people would have done).
So basically, what I'm saying is : you are not paying attention to your speed counter for 3 seconds, and you're at risk of losing your license. On the other hand, you drink til you don't remember your name, and you drive, and you may end up NOT losing it. This is utter bullshit.
In my opinion, someone drinking and driving should immediately and FOR LIFE have his driving rights revoked. There is simply no excuse for such a lame and irresponsible behaviour.
How does it go in the States?
Drinking and driving is the fastest way to lose your license in the state, bars you from easy entry across the Canadian border, etc.
|
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
I'm not a tee-totalling nerd, in fact I'm for most drug legalization
It's just the whole "it's culture" argument that is total bs, if humanity had that view women wouldn't vote today or any number of progressive developments
Politicians are quite frequently in the pocket of drinks companies anyway, and if they aren't they will not wish to do anything deeply unpopular. Because apparently everybody is a 'sensible' drinker right!?
|
Whats wrong with being an insensible drinker? Binge drinking is fun, random, and wild. Has hangover taught these people nothing?
Going at a bottle of booze like a crackhead in a free crack giveaway does not equal murder/drunk driving or whatever else.
I mean i enjoy beating myself into a drunken stupor just to ..grasp.. at the fringes of peace. This world is a fucked up place. Maybe its abnormal or unhealthy but i mean really, who wants to deal with that 24/7.
|
alcohol doesn't kill people. People kill people
|
On June 17 2011 16:08 Halcyondaze wrote: alcohol doesn't kill people. People kill people
Unfortunately, people under the influence of one or more detrimental substances are more likely to kill people than are people free from the influence of said substances.
|
It's incredible to me how easy it is for people to separate themselves from consequences that they cause in very indirect ways. That ability is most generally the core of people arguing in favor of keeping on drinking. The topic is general to be sure, but the OP's point was to get the reader to think about indirect effects of actions that are easily thought of as "Just good fun". What ended up occurring is exactly what occurs when meat eaters hear about the global benefits of Vegetarianism. They respond by confusing purposeful action against humanity with effects that effect humanity and claim innocence. "I eat meat and it isn't REALLY all that bad because I'm not directly causing immediate harm" is what it comes down to (or they don't think about it at all...). See how easy it is to substitute meat and Alcohol? Because of the general lack of respect for the life of a faceless stranger that capitalistically driven societies teach (Or at least American Society which happens to be Capitalist) people can simply say, "I will do what I want because it is my right and that is all there is to it". People who think such things are the reason the world is going to be a giant shit-storm for our children. TLDR: You are a puppet of a society that doesn't care about life. Feel bad. Also, I think having a lack of respect for life makes you a lower form of human
Oh gosh this post might cause some hate...
|
Excuse me.
I think OP is a hypocrite hiding his trolling behind a wall of post. NOBODY ALONE IN THE BLOODY WORLD JUDGES 67% of any census ALONE and finds them worthy of some right or not.. Except OP.
Thanks for wasting 9 minutes of my life.
According to Gallup, 67% of Americans drank alcohol in 2008.
To sum this up in more layman terms, the life of each person in America is worth the freedom of 14,759 other people to enjoy and consume alcohol. In other words, the right of 14,759 people to enjoy alcoholic beverages is worth more than the life of one person.
those 13759 waiver-ed their rights the moment they drink and drive.
13,846 alcohol-related traffic fatalities in 2008.
I do believe it starts with something like this. "You have the right to remain silent..."
@ OP how would you like to get banned because of something I wrote?
|
On June 17 2011 16:45 VictorJones wrote: People who think such things are the reason the world is going to be a giant shit-storm for our children. Please, do explain what you mean when you say "a giant shit-storm". The general consensus of scientists and intellectuals is that the future will keep improving at an exponential rate. Even if we do things that affect the future in a negative way, the next generation will always have a more comfortable life than the previous one. (Excluding the small possibility of a WW3 and an alien invasion)
|
Kinda funny how stoners will say "lets ban that horrible stuff called alcohol but WEED IS FINE" Bottom line is that drugs alter your perception and judgment. I say you either ban them both or legalize weed and keep alcohol legal. Banning anything by law doesn't make it go away, look at pretty much every illegal drug out there (I mean weed is almost like alcohol was during prohibition). In the end people want to have their freedom to do what they want within limits and having a drink is perfectly fine. Its all about moderation and some people are suck at decision making (its a bad decision to drink if you know you will do something retarded).
|
I wouldn't even stop drinking if it lead to MY death. I drink a small amount, at rare occasions. I don't see why you people are hopping on the "drinking should be illegal" bandwagon. It should not be taxed any more than a video game is. It's simply a good thing to have when you come home from a hard day's work and need to relax.
Therefore, my answer is no. I would not give up drinking if the enjoyment of many will save the lives a few. It's just that those "few" need to be less dumb about what they do.
|
On June 17 2011 17:00 TurkeyKnight wrote: I wouldn't even stop drinking if it lead to MY death. I drink a small amount, at rare occasions. I don't see why you people are hopping on the "drinking should be illegal" bandwagon. It should not be taxed any more than a video game is. It's simply a good thing to have when you come home from a hard day's work and need to relax.
Therefore, my answer is no. I would not give up drinking if the enjoyment of many will save the lives a few. It's just that those "few" need to be less dumb about what they do. The reason alcohol is taxed is to a)reduce damage done to society by reducing the amount of alcohol consumed and b)pay for the damage alcohol-related incidents cause.
|
I don't think you can blame traffic accident on alcohol. Its the people that drive after drinking needs to be blamed. I heard that in Japan, they have a service that will drive your car home if you drink and Japanese people are quite strict about driving after drinking. People just need to be more civilized, educated in order to stop themselves from driving after drinking.
For normal drink, well I will keep drinking, I don't understand why people want alcohol to get banned. Those "drug" along with many others things that make us human, I don't want to live like a robot until I am 120 years old.
|
On June 17 2011 17:10 Caphe wrote: I don't think you can blame traffic accident on alcohol. Its the people that drive after drinking needs to be blamed. I heard that in Japan, they have a service that will drive your car home if you drink and Japanese people are quite strict about driving after drinking. People just need to be more civilized, educated in order to stop themselves from driving after drinking.
For normal drink, well I will keep drinking, I don't understand why people want alcohol to get banned. Those "drug" along with many others things that make us human, I don't want to live like a robot until I am 120 years old.
Unfortunately alcohol tends to have a negative effect on your reasoning and thus the reason they drove drunk was that they were drunk.
|
Would I give up drinking to save lives? Of course, but how the hell do the two relate? OP seems ignorant and starry eyed to me.
|
On June 17 2011 17:24 VonLego wrote: Would I give up drinking to save lives? Of course, but how the hell do the two relate? OP seems ignorant and starry eyed to me. Alcohol makes you do stupid things, stupid things kill.
|
Russian Federation114 Posts
You should only consider the deaths directly related to the long term alcohol consumption on the organism, not situational incidents that may or may not happen because of alcohol.
|
/sigh. People who don't understand even the most basic moral theories constantly espousing their random emotional inclinations.
If you don't even consider the various moral theories that can be applied, why ask the question? It's like asking if someone is tall or short, without considering the the differences in heights about ethnicity or gender.
Or even worse, asking the average American their opinion about any scientific fact. I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here, other than people are woefully anti-introspective
|
On June 17 2011 17:50 Hadraziel wrote: You should only consider the deaths directly related to the long term alcohol consumption on the organism, not situational incidents that may or may not happen because of alcohol.
Those are the only deaths you should not consider because he is talking about harming other people not yourself
|
Zurich15366 Posts
Since the last 10 pages seem to be recycling the same argument over and over again I am going to close this. PM me if there is discussion in here that is worth keeping the thread open.
|
|
|
|
|
|