• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:45
CEST 03:45
KST 10:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2317
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9126 users

The Ultimate Headphone/Audio Thread. Seriously - Page 11

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 47 Next All
Liszt
Profile Joined August 2012
Austria86 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-23 03:17:33
August 23 2012 02:07 GMT
#201
What is the best pair headphones (in ear) in the $50-$100 dollar range?
etherealfall
Profile Joined December 2011
Australia476 Posts
August 24 2012 15:38 GMT
#202
Looking to purchase a set of speakers for music listening for the desktop. Currently running SRH840s on Xonar Essence STX. My 2.1 Logitech set up sounds horrible compared to the headphones and I would like to change that.

Price range is sitting at around $200. Thoughts?
Womwomwom
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
5930 Posts
August 24 2012 16:06 GMT
#203
For $200, I honestly don't think you'll find anything significantly better. The cheapest "upgrade" would probably be the Audioengine 2s for ~$220 AUD.

Loudspeaker systems can get expensive extremely quickly, even if you buy second hand hardware.
Hetairoi
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Sweden508 Posts
August 24 2012 17:08 GMT
#204
On August 23 2012 11:07 Liszt wrote:
What is the best pair headphones (in ear) in the $50-$100 dollar range?


This thread should help you; http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-250-iems-compared-ultimate-ears-100-added-08-20-12
etherealfall
Profile Joined December 2011
Australia476 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-24 17:14:19
August 24 2012 17:11 GMT
#205
On August 25 2012 01:06 Womwomwom wrote:
For $200, I honestly don't think you'll find anything significantly better. The cheapest "upgrade" would probably be the Audioengine 2s for ~$220 AUD.

Loudspeaker systems can get expensive extremely quickly, even if you buy second hand hardware.


I listed 200$ as USD, sorry to miscommunicate. I'm willing to spend up to $400 AUD for speakers, or whichever of the aforementioned is the highest equivalent ceiling.

Edit: was looking at harmon kardon sound sticks 3 - thoughts? Upgrading from Logitech Z4s
Misanthrope
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States924 Posts
August 25 2012 22:06 GMT
#206
Are there any recommended computer speakers within the $50 range? I'm sure this range is filled with tons of crap just like it is in headphones, and I'd rather have the "best of the worst" rather than the "worst of the worst".
Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. - Benjamin Franklin
Firebolt145
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Lalalaland34507 Posts
August 26 2012 12:03 GMT
#207
Just got my sennheiser PC360's.

They are beautiful :D
Moderator
Womwomwom
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
5930 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-30 08:26:25
August 30 2012 08:16 GMT
#208
On August 25 2012 02:11 etherealfall wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 25 2012 01:06 Womwomwom wrote:
For $200, I honestly don't think you'll find anything significantly better. The cheapest "upgrade" would probably be the Audioengine 2s for ~$220 AUD.

Loudspeaker systems can get expensive extremely quickly, even if you buy second hand hardware.


I listed 200$ as USD, sorry to miscommunicate. I'm willing to spend up to $400 AUD for speakers, or whichever of the aforementioned is the highest equivalent ceiling.

Edit: was looking at harmon kardon sound sticks 3 - thoughts? Upgrading from Logitech Z4s


Sorry for the very late reply. 2.1 computer systems are all generally middling at best due to their limited size as well as their focus on being lifestyle products. Though, everyone has different standards so audition them if you think they're right for you.

Anyway, for $400 AUD, you have a few options:
- The stock answer would be "get the Audioengine A5s". Very good powered speakers. Don't worry about the lack of subwoofer, the bass is still adequate.
- You might find proper hifi stores selling stock for cheap. Some micro systems are quite good, like those from Cambridge Audio.
- Vintage hardware is also an option but keep in mind many can be quite noisy and suffer from grounding issues. Old 1970s Japanese amplifiers and receivers (i.e Pioneer, Yamaha, Rotel, Luxman) are generally very good, most will still output very nice sound, and look pretty sweet. There's also some other brands but Japanese will generally be the most affordable. A lot of old speakers are still very good, due to the glacially slow progress of loudspeakers. This is generally an option for people who want to play vinyl because all old amps have phono inputs.

When you get proper bookshelf speakers, make sure you position them properly. Tweeters should be at ear height.

On August 26 2012 07:06 Misanthrope wrote:
Are there any recommended computer speakers within the $50 range? I'm sure this range is filled with tons of crap just like it is in headphones, and I'd rather have the "best of the worst" rather than the "worst of the worst".


You don't have many options and those options aren't really good in some way or form. The options are basically...Altec Lansing, Logitech, or Sony...?
Nacs
Profile Joined November 2010
United States35 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-31 03:41:49
August 31 2012 02:50 GMT
#209
Just received my pair of Audio Technica AH-700X's. Sound great so far. Can definitely hear some new sounds that previous Siberia V2's and $20 Sennheiser earbuds couldn't pick up. These did come with an adapter for an amp, but I don't think an amp is really necessary for these (right?). Very comfortable headphones but they don't seem to be adjustable. They are not as snug as I would like them to be on my small head but its fine. Its not like they are slipping off. Listening to FLAC music is particularly enjoyable, as I expected it to be.
RainSunShowers
Profile Joined August 2011
Norway152 Posts
September 03 2012 15:08 GMT
#210
Ok. so my earplugs died today, Ive gone through 2 sets of Creative HS-730i in the last year, so Im looking for a replacement that will not break on me to easy, I will go up to around 60$
Founder of CTL http://choboteamleague.enjin.com/home
Tennet
Profile Joined January 2010
United States1458 Posts
September 09 2012 03:28 GMT
#211
My 7h's decided to break again, so I decided to look for this thread and pay less than these are worth for something better and more reliable. This thread was really helpful to find quality for cheap, thanks!
"The harder it gets, the more you need to focus on the basics." - Seo Gyung Jong
SigmaoctanusIV
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States3313 Posts
September 09 2012 04:17 GMT
#212
On August 26 2012 21:03 Firebolt145 wrote:
Just got my sennheiser PC360's.

They are beautiful :D


I have been dreaming about those for quite some time but I am thinking of the 350s since they are closed, and slightly cheaper I have HD 555s but I need a mic and the mic on the 350s and 360s Looks amazing and I have to share the 555s with my fiance so it's a bugger having to run around getting my headset since we both fight over who gets to use them since they are so damn comforatable.

My question is how do you like the mic? how is the positioning and I heard it was like of heavy what do you think?
I am Godzilla You are Japan
tuestresfat
Profile Joined December 2010
2555 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-25 05:05:08
September 25 2012 05:03 GMT
#213
I read through a few pages in this thread and I have absolutely no idea what to look for T_T

I just want a good set of headphones for music (computer/ipod) for under $100 =[ could someone more knowledgeable in this field point me in the right way? A friend recommended the Sony mdr v6, is this a good choice for what I'm looking for? What are some good there alternatives?

edit: http://www.overclock.net/t/1014902/ocns-most-recommended-audio-products#post_13493402
I also read through that, but their reviews are so vague and short I couldn't really draw any conclusions =/
Rollin
Profile Joined March 2011
Australia1552 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-25 05:20:41
September 25 2012 05:19 GMT
#214
Supposedly the sony mdr zx700's are similarly priced with a more balanced out and clearer sound, for a similar price. The mdr v6 are possibly a little outdated is all, newer models such as the one I linked would probably be better for a similar price, but that's not to say the mdr v6 is objectively bad.
Throw off those chains of reason, and your prison disappears. | Check your posting frequency timeline: http://www.teamliquid.net/mytlnet/post_activity_img.php
Womwomwom
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
5930 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-25 06:06:47
September 25 2012 06:05 GMT
#215
Sony V6 are perfectly good and have solid hardware design. It's one of those old designs that are unbreakable. Objectively they're going to be harder to listen to than zx900s because they're monitors. People say the zx900s sound like a better Bower and Wilkins P5 and I think that's kind of true.
tuestresfat
Profile Joined December 2010
2555 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-27 04:16:22
September 27 2012 04:13 GMT
#216
^thanks for the above comments, would either of you recommend the Sennheiser Stereo Headphones (HD429)? Asking cuz they're currently on sale...
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/sennheiser-sennheiser-stereo-headphones-hd429-black-hd-429/10199828.aspx?path=14f4be26a3a7de03ba8e1655582872aden02

if not i think i'll take your advice and go for sony

edit: nvm, checked other sources. doesn't seem to be a good deal in terms of value at all.
QuackPocketDuck
Profile Joined January 2011
410 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-27 04:37:11
September 27 2012 04:36 GMT
#217
On August 25 2012 02:11 etherealfall wrote:

I listed 200$ as USD, sorry to miscommunicate. I'm willing to spend up to $400 AUD for speakers


lol? our dollar is better than you think buy online

Saved mountains of money buying music gear from the US, from guitars to effects to amplifiers etc
Aussie shops rip you off so much that i could afford to ship the same product back and forth between US and AUS around 5 times before it would be cheaper for me to buy it in Australia.

Also half those stores just get whatever they can online just like YOU CAN and put it on shelves...
the customer always think that shops have some sort of a magic deal with the supplier, when in reality half the time they dont know the supplier they just sell what they can grab where ever they can grab it.

$400 is just below KRK Rockit 5", so i'd probably be looking at some cheaper M-Audio or Alesis alternatives.

Hope you dont find my advice off the topic, there is some people here who know alot more about Audio gear than I do, but I'm pretty good at not paying more than I should.
I bought a pack of cigarettes for $20, What have you done for your country today?
HansK
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
249 Posts
September 29 2012 05:23 GMT
#218
Does anyone here have any recommendations for the most comfortable headphones that do NOT clamp down very tight at all? Currently using G35's(I know, not suppose to use gaming headsets!) and they're way too tight. Like unreasonable tight and very uncomfortable after a few hours.

Anyone have any experience with wearing a headset that does not clamp almost all just enough to not randomly fall off and have like bit cloth closed or open ears or something? Preferably < $100.
Womwomwom
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
5930 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-29 08:53:09
September 29 2012 08:52 GMT
#219
On September 27 2012 13:36 QuackPocketDuck wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 25 2012 02:11 etherealfall wrote:

I listed 200$ as USD, sorry to miscommunicate. I'm willing to spend up to $400 AUD for speakers


lol? our dollar is better than you think buy online

Saved mountains of money buying music gear from the US, from guitars to effects to amplifiers etc
Aussie shops rip you off so much that i could afford to ship the same product back and forth between US and AUS around 5 times before it would be cheaper for me to buy it in Australia.

Also half those stores just get whatever they can online just like YOU CAN and put it on shelves...
the customer always think that shops have some sort of a magic deal with the supplier, when in reality half the time they dont know the supplier they just sell what they can grab where ever they can grab it.

$400 is just below KRK Rockit 5", so i'd probably be looking at some cheaper M-Audio or Alesis alternatives.

Hope you dont find my advice off the topic, there is some people here who know alot more about Audio gear than I do, but I'm pretty good at not paying more than I should.


Importing means you get slugged by delivery fees and they're considered grey imports so you get no warranty (unless the company specifically mentions international warranty).

On September 29 2012 14:23 HansK wrote:
Does anyone here have any recommendations for the most comfortable headphones that do NOT clamp down very tight at all? Currently using G35's(I know, not suppose to use gaming headsets!) and they're way too tight. Like unreasonable tight and very uncomfortable after a few hours.

Anyone have any experience with wearing a headset that does not clamp almost all just enough to not randomly fall off and have like bit cloth closed or open ears or something? Preferably < $100.


Can't you just get the headphones and leave it overnight over a tissue box? If the band is metal, this tends to loosen it up a bit. If its too loose, just bend it back.
guitarizt
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States1492 Posts
September 29 2012 08:55 GMT
#220
On August 25 2012 00:38 etherealfall wrote:
Looking to purchase a set of speakers for music listening for the desktop. Currently running SRH840s on Xonar Essence STX. My 2.1 Logitech set up sounds horrible compared to the headphones and I would like to change that.

Price range is sitting at around $200. Thoughts?


I have a pair of srh 840s that I love. It's insanely hard for me to find a pair or speakers I like that sound like them without spending at least 1k except for advent speakers. They are raved about on forums and they're 100 or less used on forums so I decided to give them a try.

I bought a pair of 5012w for 100 used that are my fav speakers and some of the best I've personally heard regardless of price. They sound just like the srh 840s to me. Even better because I like speakers more than headphones.

If you're in cali they tend to go more for at least 100 for a pair. People are being greedy and even asking for 150 now. In vegas the prices are more sane at around 50-100. I bought a pair of advent walnut with the bullnose in front speakers for 40 a couple months ago in vegas. They sound good, but too trebly to me. I have a feeling that they probably color the sound less though as what I think is natural probably has a mid bass hump like the srh 840s do. This isn't going to be a perfect analogy, but the srh 840s sound like the 5012w speakers and the srh 940s sound like the walnut with bullnose front speakers. The "newer" ones I bought still sound awesome, but the 5012w's are heavenly.

If you need help identifying them this thread is great. You have to signup to view the pics, but it's well worth it.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=126376

The only thing is since they're old speakers they might need a refoam. I have to refoam one of my 5012w speakers as the outer foam totally came off one and it's starting to come off on the other. Luckily someone already refoamed the newer ones I bought.

I'm using a random old onkyo 2.0 receiver I got off craigslist to power them which works great. Another thing is the speakers sound not listenable to me from the headphone jack on my motherboard, but if I use the audio gd compass I have as the dac (usb from pc) for them they are awesome. With my srh 840s I'm not sure if I could pass a blind test without a/b'ing songs from my compass vs onboard sound.

Just talking about it makes me want to order a refoam kit for my 5012w's and grab a record player again. Will probably be a christmas present to myself. I've listened to a ton of pc speakers and they just don't hold a candle to advent speakers. For me, I don't get that same quality sound until you start spending 500-1500 for book shelf or floor standing speakers depending on if they're used or on sale.
“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” - Hemingway
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 47 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1976
GuemChi 1590
Artosis 658
910 68
Bale 16
ajuk12(nOOB) 14
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm158
Counter-Strike
taco 418
minikerr21
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox450
Other Games
summit1g8367
Doublelift2007
JimRising 514
C9.Mang0352
Day[9].tv333
PiGStarcraft279
Maynarde137
CosmosSc2 45
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick955
BasetradeTV162
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream22
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 124
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP99
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv333
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
8h 15m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
9h 15m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
22h 15m
Patches Events
1d 14h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.