• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:22
CEST 02:22
KST 09:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2317
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7500 users

The Ultimate Headphone/Audio Thread. Seriously - Page 10

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 47 Next All
minitelemaster
Profile Joined May 2011
United States95 Posts
August 16 2012 07:27 GMT
#181
Sennheisers are very similar, just throwing out another option. The Sony construction quality is very robust, but then Sennheiser is known for making great headphones. Considering the price, the brand, and the 2 year warranty, I don't see you going wrong with the Sennheiser 419. I kinda want a pair now...
Bite my shiny metal @$$
Medrea
Profile Joined May 2011
10003 Posts
August 16 2012 13:56 GMT
#182
Thats a pretty good accolade.

Im pretty set on the 419's at this point unless someone comes along with something better.
twitch.tv/medrea
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-16 14:12:36
August 16 2012 14:09 GMT
#183
Yeah, that looks about right. There are plenty more factors to sound quality than what we went through—that said, the frequency response is the most important thing. Impulse response plot seems to indicate that there may be some unwanted resonances at one or more frequencies. The funky bump at around 100Hz is a common artifact, particularly for closed headphones, but the corresponding increase in measured distortion there is a bit worrying. Maybe.

I don't know about the HD 4xx lineup, but relatively recent HD 5xx series is known for build quality issues like cracking headbands, but mostly only after a while and mostly just cosmetic, not affecting the adjustment and actual operation.

Warranties may only be honored if you buy through an official distributor in general. These official ones tend to abide by pricing guidelines.
Medrea
Profile Joined May 2011
10003 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-16 17:02:45
August 16 2012 17:00 GMT
#184
I can spring for the Sony XB-500's no problem if they are better. Do that then?

I notice the distortion on the 419's is in one ear only. But still not even 1 percent. Not sure whats going on there.
twitch.tv/medrea
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
August 16 2012 17:59 GMT
#185
Drivers are often mismatched somewhat, behave differently. Maybe the enclosure isn't made that precisely. Or it could be an issue with the test setup.

XB500 is another choice. People seem to like that more than the XB700.

Based on the gray lines, it looks like the XB500 depends more on the fitment to get the right sound compared to the HD 419. The bass boost extends even further into the midrange, which suits some tastes but not others. But it doesn't seem to have that anomaly or two, which may or may not be that important or noticeable. Flip a coin, or figure out what you think is better for you—or better yet, try both if you can.
fatfail
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States386 Posts
August 16 2012 18:10 GMT
#186
Hm I listened to beats last week, and the large ones are quite good (rich and sonorous, albeit very bass heavy). The smaller ones on the other hand, sound like garbage. If you need the fashion, get the big ones, seriously.
Kong fan... <3 Stork <3 Jangbi <3 Yellow <3 Fantasy
[MD]Frostbite
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Canada292 Posts
August 16 2012 18:31 GMT
#187
I'm looking for some gaming headphones that i can also use for listening to music

Price range: 50$
White-Ra, the godfather Protoss
colblitz
Profile Joined June 2011
United States41 Posts
August 16 2012 18:39 GMT
#188
@Medrea - If you're comparing the XB500 with the XB700, this may help - http://www.head-fi.org/t/538785/sony-mdr-xb500-vs-sony-mdr-xb700

I have a pair of XB700s - I can't really speak for sound quality, as I'm not confident enough in my own listening ability to really nitpick, and as it tends to be very subjective anyways. In terms of comfort, though, they're the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn (in the small set of Sennheiser HD 202, 438, AT ATH M50S, Ultrasone HFI 780, Koss Pro DJ100). The padding is actually an inch thick, and it doesn't clamp as tightly as the M50 or the HFI 780.
minitelemaster
Profile Joined May 2011
United States95 Posts
August 16 2012 19:23 GMT
#189
Regarding the Sony XB line, I also find them extremely comfortable since the padding is so thick; however, the super thick ear pads can make you look a little funny if you care about that sort of thing. Cord is only 1.2m as well.
Bite my shiny metal @$$
colblitz
Profile Joined June 2011
United States41 Posts
August 16 2012 20:12 GMT
#190
@GalDiator, what exactly do you mean by "gaming headphones"? There usually isn't much meaning to the distinction; any pair of good headphones can be used for gaming.

For under $50 the Sennheiser HD 202 II (around $20) and Beyerdynamic DT 235 (around $40) are pretty good all-around headphones that you can look into.
Medrea
Profile Joined May 2011
10003 Posts
August 16 2012 20:51 GMT
#191
On August 17 2012 03:39 colblitz wrote:
@Medrea - If you're comparing the XB500 with the XB700, this may help - http://www.head-fi.org/t/538785/sony-mdr-xb500-vs-sony-mdr-xb700

I have a pair of XB700s - I can't really speak for sound quality, as I'm not confident enough in my own listening ability to really nitpick, and as it tends to be very subjective anyways. In terms of comfort, though, they're the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn (in the small set of Sennheiser HD 202, 438, AT ATH M50S, Ultrasone HFI 780, Koss Pro DJ100). The padding is actually an inch thick, and it doesn't clamp as tightly as the M50 or the HFI 780.


Im comparing Sennheiser HD419 to Sony XB500
twitch.tv/medrea
[MD]Frostbite
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Canada292 Posts
August 17 2012 02:09 GMT
#192
@colblitz

Sorry for not being specific. Probably just some good headphones that I can use to play Starcraft 2 , watch videos and listen to music. That what I am looking for. Thank you for the advice. I am quite clueless in these kind of things. I was gonna buy some Turtle Beach headphones before i read this thread. Now I know there are better out there for less.

Thank you.
White-Ra, the godfather Protoss
Ckalvin
Profile Joined February 2012
Australia150 Posts
August 17 2012 02:52 GMT
#193
GalDiator, you are precisely the person I created this thread for. Good to see it's working (:
Stay calm and split drones. I'M NESTEAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I'M NESTEAAAAAAAAAAAA
Medrea
Profile Joined May 2011
10003 Posts
August 17 2012 03:13 GMT
#194
I ended up going with the 419's. On closer inspection and reading about it the sound profile is perhaps a bit better regardless of the dip (other websites corroborate on the information).

But also 2 year warranty is good, and the price is very good. Worst case scenario I end up paying the restocking fee, 15 percent on 50 bucks, not too bad. And if I decide to go with a better pair of headphones, I can use these as a backup or for other things.
twitch.tv/medrea
Nisani201
Profile Joined September 2010
United States1400 Posts
August 17 2012 05:46 GMT
#195
Anyone know a good IEM with superb build quality? All the ones I have tried break after a certain amount of time, first one ear starts to sort of go out (but then goes back on), then it goes out completely, then the other ear. It's the same pattern for multiple brands. Is this because the IEMs I'm getting are cheap or am I just not treating them well? If the former is the case, what is a good high quality one?
Enjoy your day.
B-Wong
Profile Joined October 2010
United States240 Posts
August 17 2012 07:07 GMT
#196
On August 17 2012 14:46 Nisani201 wrote:
Anyone know a good IEM with superb build quality? All the ones I have tried break after a certain amount of time, first one ear starts to sort of go out (but then goes back on), then it goes out completely, then the other ear. It's the same pattern for multiple brands. Is this because the IEMs I'm getting are cheap or am I just not treating them well? If the former is the case, what is a good high quality one?


It depends: What brands are you getting and in what way are you handling them? (i.e. How are you storing them, wrapping them up? Wrapping them around your phone/music player? Not using them on-the-go? Are you getting Skullcandy? Sony? JVC?)
Nisani201
Profile Joined September 2010
United States1400 Posts
August 17 2012 17:47 GMT
#197
On August 17 2012 16:07 B-Wong wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 17 2012 14:46 Nisani201 wrote:
Anyone know a good IEM with superb build quality? All the ones I have tried break after a certain amount of time, first one ear starts to sort of go out (but then goes back on), then it goes out completely, then the other ear. It's the same pattern for multiple brands. Is this because the IEMs I'm getting are cheap or am I just not treating them well? If the former is the case, what is a good high quality one?


It depends: What brands are you getting and in what way are you handling them? (i.e. How are you storing them, wrapping them up? Wrapping them around your phone/music player? Not using them on-the-go? Are you getting Skullcandy? Sony? JVC?)

They are $30 monoprice headphones-- I can't seem to find them on the site any more though. I do carry them around a lot (in my pocket-- that's why I like IEMs) though normally I just wrap them around my hand and then put them in my pocket. I don't like using a "wrapping method" because it's very time consuming IMO.
Enjoy your day.
B-Wong
Profile Joined October 2010
United States240 Posts
August 17 2012 18:17 GMT
#198
On August 18 2012 02:47 Nisani201 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 17 2012 16:07 B-Wong wrote:
On August 17 2012 14:46 Nisani201 wrote:
Anyone know a good IEM with superb build quality? All the ones I have tried break after a certain amount of time, first one ear starts to sort of go out (but then goes back on), then it goes out completely, then the other ear. It's the same pattern for multiple brands. Is this because the IEMs I'm getting are cheap or am I just not treating them well? If the former is the case, what is a good high quality one?


It depends: What brands are you getting and in what way are you handling them? (i.e. How are you storing them, wrapping them up? Wrapping them around your phone/music player? Not using them on-the-go? Are you getting Skullcandy? Sony? JVC?)

They are $30 monoprice headphones-- I can't seem to find them on the site any more though. I do carry them around a lot (in my pocket-- that's why I like IEMs) though normally I just wrap them around my hand and then put them in my pocket. I don't like using a "wrapping method" because it's very time consuming IMO.


I've been using the same JVC marshmallow IEMs for an entire year (http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAFX30S-Headphone-Marshmallow-Silver/dp/B005FDOGCU/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1345227346&sr=1-5&keywords=jvc+marshmallow ~10$) without any issues so far. I don't know if that stands for the build quality as I use them whenever I go out of the house or if it's the way I use them, but it may be worth a shot as it's not too much money being thrown around.
Medrea
Profile Joined May 2011
10003 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-21 01:37:37
August 21 2012 01:12 GMT
#199
I got my Sennheiser 419's in today.

These approximate the sound of my old Aiwa's quite closely.

These have a fuzzy distortion effect in the right ear at certain high pitch expressions, but it isnt major, my last headphones did this, and I half expect it to go away with time and use. (its also based on high volumes)

One nice thing is that the headphones have a small angle secondary joint that allows you to angle the headphones away from your head slightly so taking them on and off puts lets stress on the headband. And I also think it allows people with glasses to use them without the headphones squeezing.
twitch.tv/medrea
Firebolt145
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Lalalaland34507 Posts
August 21 2012 02:08 GMT
#200
Just ordered my Sennheiser PC360, should get it in 2-3 days.
Moderator
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 47 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
CranKy Ducklings56
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 134
SpeCial 108
CosmosSc2 50
StarCraft: Brood War
GuemChi 1562
Rain 1545
Artosis 623
910 58
Bale 15
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm129
League of Legends
Doublelift3609
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox221
Other Games
summit1g9106
shahzam560
JimRising 393
C9.Mang0353
PiGStarcraft272
Maynarde130
Liquid`Ken7
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick856
BasetradeTV188
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream17
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 110
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP58
• davetesta26
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21504
Other Games
• imaqtpie823
• Shiphtur189
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
9h 38m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
10h 38m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
23h 38m
Patches Events
1d 15h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.