• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:07
CEST 19:07
KST 02:07
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)58Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Fantasy returning? ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8047 users

Computer Build Resource Thread - Page 600

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 598 599 600 601 602 1626 Next
When using this resource, please read FragKrag's opening post. The Tech Support forum regulars have helped create countless of desktop systems without any compensation. The least you can do is provide all of the information required for them to help you properly.
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
September 25 2011 17:26 GMT
#11981
On September 26 2011 02:08 skyR wrote:
Yes, it could be an issue.


What would you recommend doing? Cleaning it off completely and buying new thermal paste?
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
September 25 2011 17:35 GMT
#11982
It's probably not a big issue though, not worth waiting for. Just run the computer and check the temps. If they're okay, then w/e. If not, then do something about it.
TexDrum
Profile Joined September 2011
United States67 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-25 17:41:55
September 25 2011 17:36 GMT
#11983
Ok so this thread is really helpful for me so far, and I've done what I think is a good job in picking out the various parts that I need. I'm not looking for a huge gaming rig, something that can run high-ultra with a comfortable buffer. So far I have:

Motherboard -ASUS LGA 1156
GPU -GTX 550 TI
CPU - Intel Core i3 Processor i3-540 3.06GHz 4MB
RAM - Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 for i3-7&AMD
HDD- 320 GB Hard Drive (I don't use much space. Over 2 years I've only filled up like 100 GB on my laptop)
PSU - Antec 550W Power Supply
Case - Antec300 ATX Mid Tower
Monitor - I do need a new monitor, what choices are there? I don't plan on playing on anything higher than like 1600x1000 resolution, and I'd like to not spend more than 700$, and as low as possible if I can.

Are there any places where I am overcompensating and can afford to downgrade but still be comfortable? Also, what other things am I missing that I will need? Does the motherboard come with a sound card? Or do I need one? I have a keyboard and mouse, so I think that will be ok. What other small things might I be missing, or do I have everything (minus the monitor)? Thanks!

P.S. I'm a brand new member, although I've played SC2 since Beta. I tried using the search function but I figured asking in the official thread would be better, especially since I can't post for three days

One other edit: If there's a better choice in a particular area, please let me know. Also, I'm using Newegg for my shopping, as I understand that they're one of the best if not the best choice in components.
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-25 17:55:16
September 25 2011 17:48 GMT
#11984
Terrible selection of components.

Antec Three Hundred Illusion is better and currently less expensive than the Antec Three Hundred on Newegg.

You're probably overpaying for memory since it's Corsair and it's XMS3...

You're probably overpaying for the power supply which is subpar since iirc Antec doesn't have any good units at 550w except for its TPN which is overpriced.

Why build on the LGA1156 platform which is outdated when the LGA1155 platform is new, performs better in every aspect, and can be had for the same price?

You're probably overpaying for the GTX 550 Ti. A MSI GTX 460 1GB Hawk which is better than the GTX 550 Ti can be had for $130 right now ($100 after mail in rebate): http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=55409&promoid=1367

Yes the motherboard comes with integrated sound. You're missing a DVD drive.

Here's a configuration that totals to $542 before mail in rebates, better in every aspect to yours:

Intel Core i5 2310 @ $175
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=61140&promoid=1367

MSI GTX 460 1GB Hawk @ $130 ($100 after mail in rebate)
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=55409&promoid=1367

Mushkin 2x4GB 1333MHz @ $30 ($25 after mail in rebate)
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=55544&promoid=1367

Seagate Barracuda TB @ $40
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=58746&promoid=1367

Seasonic S12II 620 @ $50
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=52174&promoid=1367

DVD Burner @ $17
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=60344&promoid=1367

Asrock H61M-VS @ $55
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157241

Antec Three Hundred Illusion @ $45 (w/ promo code EMCKAHH22, ends 9/28)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066
Grobyc
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Canada18410 Posts
September 25 2011 17:49 GMT
#11985
That's a first gen. i3, you're probably going to want to pick up a sandy bridge. You should also pick components specifically and link them for the mobo, HDD, etc.

For your GPU, if you're going to want to play comfortably on high/ultra you should reconsider and go with a GTX 460 1GB/768MB, I believe there was a link going around recently to one on sale for around the same price as that 550 TI.

You can get a 1TB 7200RPM (Samsung Spinpoints are popular) for quite cheap, if you don't mind dishing out an extra $10-20, but that's up to you.

Your motherboard is going to have an on-bound sound card, so that's not an issue.
If you watch Godzilla backwards it's about a benevolent lizard who helps rebuild a city and then moonwalks into the ocean.
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-25 17:50:01
September 25 2011 17:49 GMT
#11986
edit: got ninja'd, skyR covered it all

+ Show Spoiler +
i3-540 is LAST generation. i3-2100 costs the same and is better, and lower-end LGA 1155 motherboards (for current generation) are cheaper than lower-end LGA 1156 motherboards.

To run ultra comfortably, I'd look at a HD 6850 instead of a GTX 550 Ti. It's generally only about $20 more, but is much better.

Actually right now NCIXUS opening has some great sales. brb
Shikyo
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Finland33997 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-25 17:59:25
September 25 2011 17:55 GMT
#11987
On September 26 2011 02:36 TexDrum wrote:
Ok so this thread is really helpful for me so far, and I've done what I think is a good job in picking out the various parts that I need. I'm not looking for a huge gaming rig, something that can run high-ultra with a comfortable buffer. So far I have:

Motherboard -ASUS LGA 1156
GPU -GTX 550 TI
CPU - Intel Core i3 Processor i3-540 3.06GHz 4MB
RAM - Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 for i3-7&AMD
HDD- 320 GB Hard Drive (I don't use much space. Over 2 years I've only filled up like 100 GB on my laptop)
PSU - Antec 550W Power Supply
Case - Antec300 ATX Mid Tower
Monitor - I do need a new monitor, what choices are there? I don't plan on playing on anything higher than like 1600x1000 resolution, and I'd like to not spend more than 700$, and as low as possible if I can.

Are there any places where I am overcompensating and can afford to downgrade but still be comfortable? Also, what other things am I missing that I will need? Does the motherboard come with a sound card? Or do I need one? I have a keyboard and mouse, so I think that will be ok. What other small things might I be missing, or do I have everything (minus the monitor)? Thanks!

P.S. I'm a brand new member, although I've played SC2 since Beta. I tried using the search function but I figured asking in the official thread would be better, especially since I can't post for three days

One other edit: If there's a better choice in a particular area, please let me know. Also, I'm using Newegg for my shopping, as I understand that they're one of the best if not the best choice in components.

First of all include the links to the exact products.

Second, listen to Skyr until you give the exact links so that we can optimize the build.

Oh but I just need to echo him: Do NOT buy a 1156 now. Also why not just play on 1080p?

The list SkyR gave is really good.
League of Legends EU West, Platinum III | Yousei Teikoku is the best thing that has ever happened to music.
TexDrum
Profile Joined September 2011
United States67 Posts
September 25 2011 18:02 GMT
#11988
Ok guys, thank you very much haha. I'm computer saby in all but hardware, and the actual organization of everything is very confusing. I'll take a look at what SkyR said, and again, thank you a ton!
TexDrum
Profile Joined September 2011
United States67 Posts
September 25 2011 18:06 GMT
#11989
On September 26 2011 02:48 skyR wrote:

Here's a configuration that totals to $542 before mail in rebates, better in every aspect to yours:

Intel Core i5 2310 @ $175
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=61140&promoid=1367

MSI GTX 460 1GB Hawk @ $130 ($100 after mail in rebate)
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=55409&promoid=1367

Mushkin 2x4GB 1333MHz @ $30 ($25 after mail in rebate)
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=55544&promoid=1367

Seagate Barracuda TB @ $40
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=58746&promoid=1367

Seasonic S12II 620 @ $50
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=52174&promoid=1367

DVD Burner @ $17
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=60344&promoid=1367

Asrock H61M-VS @ $55
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157241

Antec Three Hundred Illusion @ $45 (w/ promo code EMCKAHH22, ends 9/28)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066


Do I need the i5 at 175$? Or is there a less expensive one? (I am by no means saying that you did a bad job selecting parts or anything, I am REALLY appreciative of this, I am just curious as to whether or not I can cut anywhere, especially as that seems like the most expensive component.) What are the advantages of a quad core processor over a dual core, specifically?

Also, how would I select a monitor? Are basically all monitors compatible with computers, or does it depend on the motherboard?
ThesePretzels
Profile Joined July 2010
United States4 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-25 18:13:39
September 25 2011 18:07 GMT
#11990
This will be my first time building a computer. So far this is what I have:

Motherboard - ASRock P67 PRO3 (B3) LGA 1155
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185
PSU - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020
CPU - i5 2500k
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072
HDD - Samsung Desktop Class Spinpoint F3 1 TB SATA 3.0 Gb-s 16 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare-OEM Drives, HD103SJ
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185
RAM - Corsair Vengeance Blue 8 GB (2X4 GB) PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345
GPU - GTX 460
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130566
Case - Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case (RC-912-KKN1)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233

My biggest questions right now are:
1) Are there any glaring flaws?
2) Are the motherboard and PSU fine? I can probably go up to $150 on the mobo
3) I'm buying all of the parts from amazon, the shipping on newegg costs too much where I live. Will this be a problem?
4) Can I put my current hard drive into the new computer and expect it to run?
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-25 18:10:51
September 25 2011 18:09 GMT
#11991
On September 26 2011 03:06 TexDrum wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 26 2011 02:48 skyR wrote:

Here's a configuration that totals to $542 before mail in rebates, better in every aspect to yours:

Intel Core i5 2310 @ $175
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=61140&promoid=1367

MSI GTX 460 1GB Hawk @ $130 ($100 after mail in rebate)
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=55409&promoid=1367

Mushkin 2x4GB 1333MHz @ $30 ($25 after mail in rebate)
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=55544&promoid=1367

Seagate Barracuda TB @ $40
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=58746&promoid=1367

Seasonic S12II 620 @ $50
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=52174&promoid=1367

DVD Burner @ $17
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=60344&promoid=1367

Asrock H61M-VS @ $55
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157241

Antec Three Hundred Illusion @ $45 (w/ promo code EMCKAHH22, ends 9/28)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066


Do I need the i5 at 175$? Or is there a less expensive one? (I am by no means saying that you did a bad job selecting parts or anything, I am REALLY appreciative of this, I am just curious as to whether or not I can cut anywhere, especially as that seems like the most expensive component.) What are the advantages of a quad core processor over a dual core, specifically?

Also, how would I select a monitor? Are basically all monitors compatible with computers, or does it depend on the motherboard?


Any chance you live near a microcenter? I bought an i5 2400 + MSI H61 board yesterday for a grand total of $182.11 after tax (which is quite expensive in CA). i5 2400 was $149.99 and the board was $19.99 (off from $64.99) because of a bundle deal. They sell for below cost, so if you can manage that...

Any current monitor will be compatible with any current motherboard via DVI.
TexDrum
Profile Joined September 2011
United States67 Posts
September 25 2011 18:13 GMT
#11992


Any chance you live near a microcenter? I bought an i5 2400 + MSI H61 board yesterday for a grand total of $182.11 after tax (which is quite expensive in CA). i5 2400 was $149.99 and the board was $19.99 (off from $64.99) because of a bundle deal. They sell for below cost, so if you can manage that...

Any current monitor will be compatible with any current motherboard via DVI.


Actually I think I do. Would it be a good idea to take the parts that he gave me, and search around for better pricing? I don't know if it makes a difference, but I also live about 10 minutes away from Fry's, I've seen around here that they would be a good place to go to as well.
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-25 18:19:30
September 25 2011 18:15 GMT
#11993
On September 26 2011 03:07 ThesePretzels wrote:+ Show Spoiler +
This will be my first time building a computer. So far this is what I have:

Motherboard - ASRock P67 PRO3 (B3) LGA 1155
PSU - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650
CPU - i5 2500k
HDD - Samsung Desktop Class Spinpoint F3 1 TB SATA 3.0 Gb-s 16 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare-OEM Drives, HD103SJ
RAM - Corsair Vengeance Blue 8 GB (2X4 GB) PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3
GPU - GTX 460
Case - Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case (RC-912-KKN1)

My biggest questions right now are:
1) Are there any glaring flaws?
2) Are the motherboard and PSU fine? I can probably go up to $150 on the mobo
3) I'm buying all of the parts from amazon, the shipping on newegg costs too much where I live. Will this be a problem?
4) Can I put my current hard drive into the new computer and expect it to run?


Yes, there are glaring flaws with your selection of components. You have an old TX650 when the TX650v2 can be had for the same price or even a lower price and is all around better. Another problem is that your board is a Pro3 which is not capable of a multi-GPU configuration so 650w is complete overkill for a single GPU configuration. A ~500w unit leaves you with plenty of headroom.

Motherboard choice is fine. Power supply, explained above.

Higher frequency memory provides little to zero benefits for gaming so you're wasting money here:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/sandy-bridge-ddr3.html
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3
http://techreport.com/articles.x/20377

You're also missing an aftermarket heatsink for overclocking.

No it won't but you should also check out us.ncix.com as they have free shipping and there are many hot deals, especially for graphics cards. The 2500k is $200 while a MSI GTX 460 1GB Hawk is $130. But I thought Newegg had free shipping on the majority of components?

Yes you can put in your current harddrive and use it as a storage drive.



On September 26 2011 03:13 TexDrum wrote:+ Show Spoiler +


Any chance you live near a microcenter? I bought an i5 2400 + MSI H61 board yesterday for a grand total of $182.11 after tax (which is quite expensive in CA). i5 2400 was $149.99 and the board was $19.99 (off from $64.99) because of a bundle deal. They sell for below cost, so if you can manage that...

Any current monitor will be compatible with any current motherboard via DVI.


Actually I think I do. Would it be a good idea to take the parts that he gave me, and search around for better pricing? I don't know if it makes a difference, but I also live about 10 minutes away from Fry's, I've seen around here that they would be a good place to go to as well.


There is currently nothing better than what I've listed. You'll only find better processor pricing at Microcenter and the power supply can only be better if you want to deal with mail in rebates.
Shikyo
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Finland33997 Posts
September 25 2011 18:16 GMT
#11994
On September 26 2011 03:06 TexDrum wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 26 2011 02:48 skyR wrote:

Here's a configuration that totals to $542 before mail in rebates, better in every aspect to yours:

Intel Core i5 2310 @ $175
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=61140&promoid=1367

MSI GTX 460 1GB Hawk @ $130 ($100 after mail in rebate)
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=55409&promoid=1367

Mushkin 2x4GB 1333MHz @ $30 ($25 after mail in rebate)
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=55544&promoid=1367

Seagate Barracuda TB @ $40
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=58746&promoid=1367

Seasonic S12II 620 @ $50
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=52174&promoid=1367

DVD Burner @ $17
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=60344&promoid=1367

Asrock H61M-VS @ $55
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157241

Antec Three Hundred Illusion @ $45 (w/ promo code EMCKAHH22, ends 9/28)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066


Do I need the i5 at 175$? Or is there a less expensive one? (I am by no means saying that you did a bad job selecting parts or anything, I am REALLY appreciative of this, I am just curious as to whether or not I can cut anywhere, especially as that seems like the most expensive component.) What are the advantages of a quad core processor over a dual core, specifically?

Also, how would I select a monitor? Are basically all monitors compatible with computers, or does it depend on the motherboard?

quadcore is usually preferred to dual core as many newer games use 4 cores(although SC2 uses only 2) and it also helps with multitasking and running many programs at once etc. It's going to be much better in the long run, and it's only 40 dollars more than the i3 2100 because that is an amazing deal. In Starcraft 2 specifically, the differences are as large as 10-15 fps in advantage of the i5-2310. I definitely think it'd be worth it.

My current favorite out of the Newegg monitors is this at 170$ with EMCKAHK59(sale ends tomorrow):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236112
League of Legends EU West, Platinum III | Yousei Teikoku is the best thing that has ever happened to music.
TexDrum
Profile Joined September 2011
United States67 Posts
September 25 2011 18:21 GMT
#11995


There is currently nothing better than what I've listed. You'll only find better processor pricing at Microcenter and the power supply can only be better if you want to deal with mail in rebates.


Alright, thank you SkyR. I have one last question - will the prices be increasing due to any deals ending anytime soon? I'm buying soon, but not within the next week (I think). It looks like a lot of the rebates might be ending soon, so is it a good idea (if I want this rig,) to get it now? If the prices are ending soon, it might affect my decision I guess. Thank you a ton!
Shikyo
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Finland33997 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-25 18:23:50
September 25 2011 18:22 GMT
#11996
On September 26 2011 03:21 TexDrum wrote:
Show nested quote +


There is currently nothing better than what I've listed. You'll only find better processor pricing at Microcenter and the power supply can only be better if you want to deal with mail in rebates.


Alright, thank you SkyR. I have one last question - will the prices be increasing due to any deals ending anytime soon? I'm buying soon, but not within the next week (I think). It looks like a lot of the rebates might be ending soon, so is it a good idea (if I want this rig,) to get it now? If the prices are ending soon, it might affect my decision I guess. Thank you a ton!

all the deals end this month
League of Legends EU West, Platinum III | Yousei Teikoku is the best thing that has ever happened to music.
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
September 25 2011 18:26 GMT
#11997
Newegg's promo on the Antec Three Hundred Illusion ends this week on the 28th. Most of NCIX's sales are ending on the 28th as well. The Seasonic S12II 620 already sold out so ya... but there's an Antec Earthwatts promo on Newegg that's basically the same thing so this isn't a problem.

The GTX 460 Hawk for $130 and Seagate 1TB for $40, you probably won't be seeing these again at next week's sale.
ThesePretzels
Profile Joined July 2010
United States4 Posts
September 25 2011 18:28 GMT
#11998
On September 26 2011 03:15 skyR wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 26 2011 03:07 ThesePretzels wrote:+ Show Spoiler +
This will be my first time building a computer. So far this is what I have:

Motherboard - ASRock P67 PRO3 (B3) LGA 1155
PSU - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650
CPU - i5 2500k
HDD - Samsung Desktop Class Spinpoint F3 1 TB SATA 3.0 Gb-s 16 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare-OEM Drives, HD103SJ
RAM - Corsair Vengeance Blue 8 GB (2X4 GB) PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3
GPU - GTX 460
Case - Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case (RC-912-KKN1)

My biggest questions right now are:
1) Are there any glaring flaws?
2) Are the motherboard and PSU fine? I can probably go up to $150 on the mobo
3) I'm buying all of the parts from amazon, the shipping on newegg costs too much where I live. Will this be a problem?
4) Can I put my current hard drive into the new computer and expect it to run?


Yes, there are glaring flaws with your selection of components. You have an old TX650 when the TX650v2 can be had for the same price or even a lower price and is all around better. Another problem is that your board is a Pro3 which is not capable of a multi-GPU configuration so 650w is complete overkill for a single GPU configuration. A ~500w unit leaves you with plenty of headroom.

Motherboard choice is fine. Power supply, explained above.

Higher frequency memory provides little to zero benefits for gaming so you're wasting money here:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/sandy-bridge-ddr3.html
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3
http://techreport.com/articles.x/20377

You're also missing an aftermarket heatsink for overclocking.

No it won't but you should also check out us.ncix.com as they have free shipping and there are many hot deals, especially for graphics cards. The 2500k is $200 while a MSI GTX 460 1GB Hawk is $130. But I thought Newegg had free shipping on the majority of components?

Yes you can put in your current harddrive and use it as a storage drive.



Show nested quote +
On September 26 2011 03:13 TexDrum wrote:+ Show Spoiler +


Any chance you live near a microcenter? I bought an i5 2400 + MSI H61 board yesterday for a grand total of $182.11 after tax (which is quite expensive in CA). i5 2400 was $149.99 and the board was $19.99 (off from $64.99) because of a bundle deal. They sell for below cost, so if you can manage that...

Any current monitor will be compatible with any current motherboard via DVI.


Actually I think I do. Would it be a good idea to take the parts that he gave me, and search around for better pricing? I don't know if it makes a difference, but I also live about 10 minutes away from Fry's, I've seen around here that they would be a good place to go to as well.


There is currently nothing better than what I've listed. You'll only find better processor pricing at Microcenter and the power supply can only be better if you want to deal with mail in rebates.


Ok, thanks! I'll check out us.ncix but I see that they don't have free shipping to Alaska, so I'll pick whichever site is cheaper in the end.

My brother is going to provide me with a heat sink, so that won't be a problem.

I'll also pick out a lower wattage PSU and some cheaper RAM.
Shikyo
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Finland33997 Posts
September 25 2011 18:45 GMT
#11999
On September 26 2011 03:28 ThesePretzels wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 26 2011 03:15 skyR wrote:
On September 26 2011 03:07 ThesePretzels wrote:+ Show Spoiler +
This will be my first time building a computer. So far this is what I have:

Motherboard - ASRock P67 PRO3 (B3) LGA 1155
PSU - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650
CPU - i5 2500k
HDD - Samsung Desktop Class Spinpoint F3 1 TB SATA 3.0 Gb-s 16 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare-OEM Drives, HD103SJ
RAM - Corsair Vengeance Blue 8 GB (2X4 GB) PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3
GPU - GTX 460
Case - Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case (RC-912-KKN1)

My biggest questions right now are:
1) Are there any glaring flaws?
2) Are the motherboard and PSU fine? I can probably go up to $150 on the mobo
3) I'm buying all of the parts from amazon, the shipping on newegg costs too much where I live. Will this be a problem?
4) Can I put my current hard drive into the new computer and expect it to run?


Yes, there are glaring flaws with your selection of components. You have an old TX650 when the TX650v2 can be had for the same price or even a lower price and is all around better. Another problem is that your board is a Pro3 which is not capable of a multi-GPU configuration so 650w is complete overkill for a single GPU configuration. A ~500w unit leaves you with plenty of headroom.

Motherboard choice is fine. Power supply, explained above.

Higher frequency memory provides little to zero benefits for gaming so you're wasting money here:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/sandy-bridge-ddr3.html
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3
http://techreport.com/articles.x/20377

You're also missing an aftermarket heatsink for overclocking.

No it won't but you should also check out us.ncix.com as they have free shipping and there are many hot deals, especially for graphics cards. The 2500k is $200 while a MSI GTX 460 1GB Hawk is $130. But I thought Newegg had free shipping on the majority of components?

Yes you can put in your current harddrive and use it as a storage drive.



On September 26 2011 03:13 TexDrum wrote:+ Show Spoiler +


Any chance you live near a microcenter? I bought an i5 2400 + MSI H61 board yesterday for a grand total of $182.11 after tax (which is quite expensive in CA). i5 2400 was $149.99 and the board was $19.99 (off from $64.99) because of a bundle deal. They sell for below cost, so if you can manage that...

Any current monitor will be compatible with any current motherboard via DVI.


Actually I think I do. Would it be a good idea to take the parts that he gave me, and search around for better pricing? I don't know if it makes a difference, but I also live about 10 minutes away from Fry's, I've seen around here that they would be a good place to go to as well.


There is currently nothing better than what I've listed. You'll only find better processor pricing at Microcenter and the power supply can only be better if you want to deal with mail in rebates.


Ok, thanks! I'll check out us.ncix but I see that they don't have free shipping to Alaska, so I'll pick whichever site is cheaper in the end.

My brother is going to provide me with a heat sink, so that won't be a problem.

I'll also pick out a lower wattage PSU and some cheaper RAM.

Wow Amazon interface and prices are trash, but here's a good choice for the RAM:
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-1333mhz-PC3-10666-240-pin-Channel/dp/B0055LGG3Y/ref=sr_1_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1316975829&sr=1-1

This is a relatively cheap and decent PSU that should be enough if you really want to use Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Bronze-Supply-ACAAD3/dp/B00518M82E/ref=sr_1_54?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1316976106&sr=1-54
League of Legends EU West, Platinum III | Yousei Teikoku is the best thing that has ever happened to music.
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-25 18:59:02
September 25 2011 18:56 GMT
#12000
On September 26 2011 03:13 TexDrum wrote:
Show nested quote +


Any chance you live near a microcenter? I bought an i5 2400 + MSI H61 board yesterday for a grand total of $182.11 after tax (which is quite expensive in CA). i5 2400 was $149.99 and the board was $19.99 (off from $64.99) because of a bundle deal. They sell for below cost, so if you can manage that...

Any current monitor will be compatible with any current motherboard via DVI.


Actually I think I do. Would it be a good idea to take the parts that he gave me, and search around for better pricing? I don't know if it makes a difference, but I also live about 10 minutes away from Fry's, I've seen around here that they would be a good place to go to as well.


Microcenter will have better CPU/Mobo deals, but that's it, everything else is already absurdly cheap on that list. Fry's prices won't compare to anything on that list, I know because I also live near Fry's and checked their latest ads, which are garbage this week. Just make sure if you go to microcenter you'll get a mobo that can be bundled, as I said the motherboard I bought was also an H61 and ended up being $19.99.

I JUST helped pick out parts for my younger brother and I ended up paying more for almost everything compared to that list. The NCIXUS sale is pretty good right now, I'd recommend buying some stuff almost ASAP before it sells out and you end up paying more. The RAM (with rebate) is $15 cheaper than you could usually fine, $10 w/o rebate, the HDD is a 1TB size that's priced at a 500GB size, the GTX 460 is like $40 cheaper after rebate than you'd find anywhere else, at least (to the point I'm considering buying a second to SLI mine). The only thing you might want to double check is the PSU because I'm fairly sure it's not selling at $50 anymore, but $90, which no longer is a super good deal.
Prev 1 598 599 600 601 602 1626 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 3
IntoTheiNu 1184
ComeBackTV 759
SteadfastSC757
TaKeTV 516
IndyStarCraft 225
Rex133
EnkiAlexander 77
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 757
IndyStarCraft 225
Rex 133
ProTech130
BRAT_OK 39
MindelVK 16
UpATreeSC 3
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 42879
Shuttle 732
Larva 423
Mini 420
Rush 376
Hyuk 103
Dewaltoss 81
firebathero 77
Mong 70
Trap 31
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 29
Sexy 27
Bale 20
Rock 17
Sacsri 14
Shine 13
Terrorterran 12
Dota 2
Gorgc8902
qojqva1995
Counter-Strike
fl0m1368
Fnx 804
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1434
Khaldor1226
Other Games
hiko1337
FrodaN1028
DeMusliM305
Beastyqt255
ArmadaUGS195
XBOCT175
KnowMe116
XaKoH 99
C9.Mang092
Mew2King83
QueenE82
CosmosSc2 12
Mlord6
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV258
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream65
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH293
• StrangeGG 47
• poizon28 37
• Hinosc 20
• Kozan
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix11
• Michael_bg 6
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3239
Other Games
• Shiphtur340
• imaqtpie183
Upcoming Events
OSC
4h 54m
CranKy Ducklings
16h 54m
Online Event
17h 54m
FEL
22h 54m
AI Arena Tournament
23h 54m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 1h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 16h
INu's Battles
1d 18h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.