• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:42
CEST 16:42
KST 23:42
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)56Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9519 users

Computer Build Resource Thread - Page 598

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 596 597 598 599 600 1626 Next
When using this resource, please read FragKrag's opening post. The Tech Support forum regulars have helped create countless of desktop systems without any compensation. The least you can do is provide all of the information required for them to help you properly.
Shikyo
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Finland33997 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-24 19:55:59
September 24 2011 19:49 GMT
#11941
mostly it's better because of the energy usage I guess and actually 6850 wins by a frame or two afaik >_>

EDIT: I know its game dependent and I also know that GTX 460 overclocks better, if you aren't blind you might notice that I was recommending a 460.
League of Legends EU West, Platinum III | Yousei Teikoku is the best thing that has ever happened to music.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
September 24 2011 19:52 GMT
#11942
Look it up, the winner is game dependent. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/291?vs=313
460 wins a few at stock.

And if you consider the fact that they're near enough to identical to not make a difference for how they perform on individual games, it's really going to come down to a noise vs OC potential choice, I'd think. Or preference/brand loyalty, or price.
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-24 19:56:23
September 24 2011 19:55 GMT
#11943
On September 25 2011 04:36 JingleHell wrote:
The vast majority of Nvidia's cards use the same drivers, they just don't enable features you can't use.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-280.26-whql-driver.html

Check the Supported Products tab. Architecture doesn't mean anything for driver support. So you're both wrong.

Oh, and Shikyo's claim that the 6850 is superior to a stock 460 is dependent entirely on which games you prefer to play. The cards are pretty much equal, with differences on individual games due to the vagaries of design and drivers. Also, the 460 can OC to close to 150% of stock clocks, I doubt the 6850 can, although I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

But, he really likes AMD and wants them to be better than they are, and recently got disillusioned about their CPUs, so we mostly let it slide.



Oh well, I find I learn more and more about tech through these forums. I'm fully aware I'm probably the least tech inclined out of all who post regularly here^^. I just enjoy learning about it.

I think I'm the one that stated the 6850 is slightly better than the GTX 460 btw, while they're close enough it could be game dependent, overall people would usually give the 6850 an edge, no?
MIKster
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany333 Posts
September 24 2011 20:02 GMT
#11944
Hey guys!

I asked you for advice on my new PC setup a few weeks ago. Yesterday the suggested parts arrived.

This was my setup:
+ Show Spoiler +

http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=44315&agid=1192
8gb ram
30€

http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=42805&agid=1342
1tb hdd
43€

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=30074&agid=1627
Amazon 450W

http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=41505&agid=1004
hd6870
141€

http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=47362&agid=699
dvd burner
16€

http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=46914&agid=1603
cheap h61 mobo
45€

http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=41226&agid=1617
i5-2400
151€

I assembled them. The PC wouldn’t start. So I disassembled the whole thing and called a friend who’s more proficient than me in these things. We reassembled the whole rig the exact same way as I had done it before (minus one essential cable that I forgot ^^) and the PC jumped right on when we hit the power button. Hurray!

Now that’s the good part of the story. Later that evening I was installing software and drivers when the PC suddenly went out. It was late so I went to bed and didn’t think about it anymore that day. Next day I get up turn it on and after a few minutes while I was making my breakfast the pc went out again! Whaaaat??!

I started it up again and went straight into BIOS. Only to see that the CPU temperature was at 87 degrees Celsius = 188.6 degrees Fahrenheit!!

I assume that the high CPU temperature is causing an emergency shutdown, right? Then the next question would be, why is the CPU temperature is getting this high in the first place, right?
I checked. The CPU fan as well as all the others are running. Not very strong/loudly but I guess one could say they do their thing.

So the other thing that came to my mind is this:
When I first assembled the computer there already was thermal conductance paste on the cooler provided by Intel. When me and my friend reassembled the PC we didn’t have any new paste so we just left the old one on there. Could this have caused the problem? There were about 4 hours between me disassembling the computer and reassembling it with the friend.
Or are there any other options I should check before buying some new thermal conductance paste?

Hope you guys can help me out here. It’s a bad feeling to have a brand new computer right in front of you and not being able to use it

Greets, MIKster
Munich StarCraft & BarCraft | www.munich-starcraft.de
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
September 24 2011 20:04 GMT
#11945
That could possibly be the problem as you created air bubbles by remounting it without removing the old paste and applying new paste. The other possibility is that you didn't mount the heatsink correctly, I'm leaning towards this.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
September 24 2011 20:09 GMT
#11946
Even reusing old paste fairly soon, unless your ambient temp is shit, it won't be that bad. I've done it in emergencies, and while it's noticeable, it's the sort of thing to be insignificant to most users, particularly if they aren't OCing.

I'm with skyR on the bad mounting.

@fabled: you compared it to a 550Ti, Shikyo was the one saying a 6850 was slightly better than a 460, when there's really no clear overall winner until you look at a second factor, like noise, OC potential, price, brand loyalty, etc.
MIKster
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany333 Posts
September 24 2011 20:15 GMT
#11947
On September 25 2011 05:04 skyR wrote:
That could possibly be the problem as you created air bubbles by remounting it without removing the old paste and applying new paste. The other possibility is that you didn't mount the heatsink correctly, I'm leaning towards this.

I read your post and thirst I though like: Whaaaaaat?! No surely we had placed the heatsink nice and tight!

But I wanted to be sure so I opened the case to double check… and as I touch the heatsink it almost falls into my hands. Turns out my friend must have placed it there and never tightened it?!!

Thanks a thousand man! That’s what I call good advice on the fly! >.< :D
Munich StarCraft & BarCraft | www.munich-starcraft.de
MIKster
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany333 Posts
September 24 2011 20:16 GMT
#11948
CPU temperature is at a chilling 32C/89F now :D
Munich StarCraft & BarCraft | www.munich-starcraft.de
Womwomwom
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
5930 Posts
September 24 2011 20:17 GMT
#11949
I'm constantly surprised by how often people casually throw around piracy of games and operating systems on what is a site dedicated to eSports.
MisterFred
Profile Joined October 2010
United States2033 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-24 22:52:17
September 24 2011 20:21 GMT
#11950
People are pretty brazen. What amazes me is that pirates think that like half of computer users are like them, when as far as I can tell the vast majority of people buy their software legitimately.

Edit: @Jinglehell below. Good point. My apologies.

Edit2: Jinglehells' blog is pretty entertaining, btw. I recommend the rest of you check it out for a few minutes of light reading.
"The victor? Not the highest scoring, nor the best strategist, nor the best tactitian. The victor was he that was closest to the Tao of FFA." -.Praetor
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-24 20:57:25
September 24 2011 20:25 GMT
#11951
Wholeheartedly concur, but lets please not derail this particular thread into that can of worms.

My take, and a much better place for that discussion.
Shikyo
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Finland33997 Posts
September 24 2011 20:28 GMT
#11952
On September 25 2011 05:21 MisterFred wrote:
People are pretty brazen. What amazes me is that pirates think that like half of computer users are like them, when as far as I can tell the vast majority of people buy their software legitimately.

If WC3 and DotA are a good indicator, I highly doubt that. Kind of offtopic though.

Hm, I just noticed that SIlver Arrow is only 50 euros on some european site
League of Legends EU West, Platinum III | Yousei Teikoku is the best thing that has ever happened to music.
Legatus Lanius
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
2135 Posts
September 25 2011 01:38 GMT
#11953
On September 25 2011 05:17 Womwomwom wrote:
I'm constantly surprised by how often people casually throw around piracy of games and operating systems on what is a site dedicated to eSports.


i support the watching of sc, not the buying of sc
"He's the Triple H of Brood War." - Ribbon on Flash | "He's more like the John Cena of Brood War." - Aus)MaCrO on Flash
kunstderfugue
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Mexico375 Posts
September 25 2011 02:13 GMT
#11954
I have now gone to some stores and have checked the prices and availability. The build would look along these lines.

Gigabyte H61 chipset (not sure about the model, but i think it's a Micro ATX and it doesn't have USB 3.0) 1100 MXN or ~$84

Core i3 2100 - 1680 MXN, ~$129

GeForce GTS 430 - 1200 MXN, ~$92
Alternatively, AMD Radeon HD 5670 - 1500MXN, ~$115

4 GB Kingston DDR3 1333 MHz - 435 MXN, ~$33

1TB HDD, SATA, 7200rpm - 750 MXN, ~$57

PSU: Cooler Master Elite 460 W - 750 MXN, $57

Some Cooler Master Case, don't know the model but it looks simple and good - 1000 MXN, ~$77
Alternatively, Thermaltake Case for 1650 MXN, ~$127

Monitor - 1600x900 In this case, LED or LCD? The difference is only about 10 USD, with the LED being at 1500 MXN, or $115; and the LCD being at 1350 MXN, or $104

Windows 7, i'm still figuring out how i'm going to get it, but it will probably cost about $100

Are the components i chose good? Is there any alternatives i should consider looking for?
Old lamps for new!
Shikyo
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Finland33997 Posts
September 25 2011 02:17 GMT
#11955
Don't pay 127$ for the case, only pay 77$ if it's a quality case.

The RAM seems very overpriced.

I don't think that's the best PSU you could choose.


All in all, you waste way too much money on cases and stuff when your CPU and GPU are so poor in comparison. Also, please get a 1080p monitor. Your mobo also seems to be overpriced by around 20 dollars.
League of Legends EU West, Platinum III | Yousei Teikoku is the best thing that has ever happened to music.
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
September 25 2011 02:47 GMT
#11956
If you can find something like a XFX Core, Corsair CX V2, Antec Earthwatts or High Current Gamer, Silverstone Strider Essential, or some others, at any wattage, for under 1000 MXN, I would get that instead. The Cooler Master Elite 460W is not absolutely terrible, but it should be avoided when there are better alternatives.
Shikyo
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Finland33997 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-25 03:04:09
September 25 2011 03:01 GMT
#11957
I would call cooler master elite 460w terrible actually, only like 27A on 12V.. and it can't even provide the full 460W... and it's not 80+... terrible noise and ripple...
League of Legends EU West, Platinum III | Yousei Teikoku is the best thing that has ever happened to music.
kunstderfugue
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Mexico375 Posts
September 25 2011 03:06 GMT
#11958
I haven't found any cheaper 4GB RAM but i'll keep trying. I pretty much didn't find Antec at all unfortunately, nor Corsair, but i'll go check again later. If i save enough money, which GPU should i go for? I found things like the HD 5850 but it was priced at about 3000 MXN or $230

The i5 2300, as low as i found it, was 2650 or $203, is this a good price?

Will try and find better PSUs, also, i'll see if i can get a mobo with H61 chipset for a lower price. Why do i need a 1080p monitor?
Old lamps for new!
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-25 03:17:38
September 25 2011 03:16 GMT
#11959
Terrible to me is like...out of spec operation at half load, Fuhjyyu or similar caps and otherwise failure-prone components, lack of reasonable protections, and so on. We need to keep things in perspective since there are much much worse out there. 80+ is whatever, and most computers will never see 300W draw anyway. His might take 150W on a really bad day.

Actually I made the mistake of calling it the Cooler Mater Elite 460W. It's the Cooler Master Elite 460. Model number of 460. As they say on the label, "The +3.3V & +5V & +12V total output shall not exceed 377.9W."


i5-2300 price is a little bit high but almost fair in comparison to the i3-2100. However, unless you need a quad core for something other than games, the i3-2100 is fine. For gaming you're better off upgrading the GPU to a GTS 450, HD 5770, or HD 6770 (or HD 5750 or HD 6750 if the price is right). Those go for around $100-110 in the US, compared to about $70 for the HD 5670, and performance is roughly double.
kunstderfugue
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Mexico375 Posts
September 25 2011 03:24 GMT
#11960
kk thanks for the advice, and i'll go check those cards, see if i can find them.
Old lamps for new!
Prev 1 596 597 598 599 600 1626 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 3
IntoTheiNu 988
ComeBackTV 874
SteadfastSC680
TaKeTV 448
IndyStarCraft 144
Rex120
EnkiAlexander 67
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 680
IndyStarCraft 144
ProTech144
Rex 120
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 50495
Bisu 1830
Horang2 1265
EffOrt 1117
Soma 619
Hyuk 591
Mini 540
BeSt 538
Light 426
Larva 418
[ Show more ]
Rush 267
ZerO 215
910 89
Mong 83
Leta 72
firebathero 69
Pusan 54
Snow 54
Sexy 45
Mind 38
ToSsGirL 36
JYJ 31
Aegong 30
Bale 21
Shine 18
Rock 16
Terrorterran 15
Noble 13
Trap 13
Sacsri 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
Dota 2
Gorgc7511
qojqva1050
Counter-Strike
Fnx 770
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1520
Khaldor1105
Lowko461
Other Games
singsing1999
olofmeister1496
hiko1196
Beastyqt664
B2W.Neo404
Livibee202
Hui .184
Liquid`VortiX145
XaKoH 125
ArmadaUGS107
KnowMe102
djWHEAT83
Mew2King79
QueenE65
ZerO(Twitch)15
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV206
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream84
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 11
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• poizon28 19
• mYiSmile19
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 37
• FirePhoenix10
• Michael_bg 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3064
Other Games
• Shiphtur179
Upcoming Events
OSC
7h 19m
CranKy Ducklings
19h 19m
Online Event
20h 19m
FEL
1d 1h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 2h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 4h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 19h
INu's Battles
1d 21h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.