• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:53
CEST 10:53
KST 17:53
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War435.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror TL Sidebar missing streams Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9858 users

Computer Build Resource Thread - Page 1451

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1626 Next
When using this resource, please read FragKrag's opening post. The Tech Support forum regulars have helped create countless of desktop systems without any compensation. The least you can do is provide all of the information required for them to help you properly.
mav451
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1596 Posts
April 10 2013 17:52 GMT
#29001
If you don't mind putting physics/effects to low, you raise your min FPS while maintaining relatively high GPU quality settings across the board. I'd emphasize spending more on your monitor tbh. I'd recommend 23" or higher. You use your monitor whether your gaming or not, and imo will make the biggest diff in your day-to-day experience.
With no power comes no responsibility?
ghindo
Profile Joined March 2012
United States58 Posts
April 10 2013 19:44 GMT
#29002
On April 10 2013 15:50 Myrmidon wrote:
How many drives?

btw those freebie Rosewill power supplies are pretty trashy. AL-8250SFX. It's a Deer I think, very poorly regarded. I think some of the In Win options (with included power supplies) are better.

Regarding the APU, we're talking C-60 here, Bobcat cores (competitive with low-end Atom). You don't really get (much) cheaper or lower power than that. That's fine. But is there a reason to go with that board if you're not using its SATA ports? I guess the APU is heatsinked well and passively, but hard drives and other noise sources would drown out a small CPU fan anyway.
Not sure how many drives yet. I might be building one for work too, so it could be quite a few.

Thanks for the advice about the power supplies, I'll look into better ones
Dreadsithar
Profile Joined March 2007
Canada49 Posts
April 11 2013 16:11 GMT
#29003
What I am wondering is after buying all the individual parts how hard is it to build the PC itself?
ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ ̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴
Blaec
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia4289 Posts
April 11 2013 16:17 GMT
#29004
On April 12 2013 01:11 Dreadsithar wrote:
What I am wondering is after buying all the individual parts how hard is it to build the PC itself?


Pretty easy as long as you are careful and patient.

It is like (even more) expensive lego.
azngamer828
Profile Joined July 2008
United States137 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-11 16:28:44
April 11 2013 16:28 GMT
#29005
im thinking of getting the ASRock Z77 Extreme3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
and have a quick question.
is a sound card neccessary? i dont know how much it would affect when either watching videos or playing starcraft 2
if it is necessary, would you mind recommending me some?
please and thanks
Pew Pew
Shikyo
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Finland33997 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-11 16:50:54
April 11 2013 16:48 GMT
#29006
Sound card really isn't necessary, the onboard ones in the newer motherboards are actually quite good and if you have a cheap headset(especially "gaming") you won't really notice anything
League of Legends EU West, Platinum III | Yousei Teikoku is the best thing that has ever happened to music.
wei2coolman
Profile Joined November 2010
United States60033 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-11 19:18:42
April 11 2013 19:17 GMT
#29007
On April 12 2013 01:11 Dreadsithar wrote:
What I am wondering is after buying all the individual parts how hard is it to build the PC itself?

Fairly easy; there are plenty of wonderful tutorials online as well. I'm pretty sure newegg has some tutorial vids.

the most important part is making sure all the parts you have are compatible.

On April 12 2013 01:28 azngamer828 wrote:
im thinking of getting the ASRock Z77 Extreme3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
and have a quick question.
is a sound card neccessary? i dont know how much it would affect when either watching videos or playing starcraft 2
if it is necessary, would you mind recommending me some?
please and thanks

Sound cards are not necessary; unless you have a sick ass audio setup. But if that were the case you'd already know the answer to that question.
liftlift > tsm
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-12 01:58:06
April 11 2013 20:03 GMT
#29008
Here are my screenshots that show more detail:
Idle: http://i.imgur.com/KxDopCa.jpg?1
Load: http://i.imgur.com/OKZvkhn.jpg?1
Memory: http://i.imgur.com/pg0ufkp.jpg?1

I manually set the vcore to 1.1 and started working up the turbo multiplier 1 at a time starting from 42 and I got up to 45 with everything working great and decided I didn't need to go higher so I stopped at that. But as I have read about this motherboard it doesnt have offset, so manually setting vcore means it never changes from 1.1 even when idle, so I set the vcore back to Auto which now means the vcore decreases during idle, and even at load my vcore was reading around the same as when I manually set it to 1.1 - which I am very happy with.

So here's my main concern - from what I've read my vcore seems to be really low for a 4.5ghz overclock, which in CPU-Z show as 0.8v at idle and have never gone above 1.088v at 4.5ghz.

At first I thought my CPU-Z was lying to me, so as I already had my multimeter to hand from testing the 12V on my PSU (you can see in the SS that HWMonitor thought my 12V was giving under 8, which scared me, tested it though and it was telling fibs!) I used the GD65's onboard voltage checkpoints and the multimeter seems to agree with CPU-Z. I say 'seems to agree' because my multimeter is old school so its a needle readout instead of digital which obviously isnt as accurate. But never the less it was reading under 1v at idle, and slightly over 1v with Prime95 running.

So have I just got really lucky and landed myself an amazing chip? Or can you see / think of anything that seems to be too good to be true?


I have to admit im freaking out a little over this, crazy new batch? I think it qualifies. 49c second hottest core under load 4.5ghz on a HR-02 Macho? There's no way you'd have those temps with higher than the listed voltage.

well, im still under 70C with prime running


Effortless 5ghz

No comments on this for 3 hours? I am dissapointed :0

Pretty big deal to have a teamliquid forum member make a new build and get this haha
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
MrCon
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
France29748 Posts
April 12 2013 01:45 GMT
#29009
I see people look for fans, basically the best noise/cooling ratio for 120mm are the Shadow Wing and SilentWings 2 PWM from BeQuiet.
More silence, Nanoxia FX Evo – 1000, and little less silence but more cooling, Coolink SWIF2 120P.
Any Scythe is good too (SY1225SL12LM-P).

mav451
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1596 Posts
April 12 2013 01:52 GMT
#29010
Haha Cyro - I'm more impressed by true 24/7 OCs...so I'll await his overnight 1792K P95 custom blend proofs

With no power comes no responsibility?
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-12 15:37:12
April 12 2013 01:57 GMT
#29011
He's doing overnight custom blend ~95% max RAM, increased priority, error checking, round off checking, checking WHEA errors, etc.

Took a big amount of pushing to have a single failure at 1.275v bios across various tests (which was not reproducable running the fft lengh it failed on for 20 mins), so went up to 1.285. I doubt it'll fail overnight custom blend or IBT.

This is 5ghz - pretty crazy. Temps more than acceptable without delid, because voltages are so low.

http://i.imgur.com/I1DwriU.jpg

[image loading]

You could probably go 5.1 or even 5.2 24/7 with this kind of chip with just a hr-02 macho and no delid, wouldn't want belial to get his hands on one >.>
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
wei2coolman
Profile Joined November 2010
United States60033 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-12 08:17:06
April 12 2013 04:56 GMT
#29012
Does anyone here do case mods? Anyone know how to make new rivet holes? is it as simple as just drilling a hole for new rivets?
liftlift > tsm
ZeratuLsc2
Profile Joined November 2011
Canada426 Posts
April 12 2013 07:30 GMT
#29013
+ Show Spoiler +
On April 08 2013 05:35 MisterFred wrote:
@Hellfury

You can go cheaper not overclocking (i5-3470 + whatever bottom-priced B75 mobo, no CPU cooler), but if you want to stream SC2 overclocking will absolutely be worth learning. You could spend more on GPU if maxxing out graphics in every game is important to you, but this is going to perform very well for 1920x1080, and above the 7870 LE you start to hit diminishing returns. Overall, this build has a fair number of luxury components.

Also, regarding pricing. Specials may change in the middle of the week, so be warned about that. And NCIX, like other major canadian retailers, price-matches. So you can shop around, find out who's offering the lowest price on a given component, and then use price-matching to buy all at once place. I didn't go to that trouble.

i5-3570k ($240)
http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=70541&vpn=BX80637I53570K&manufacture=Intel&promoid=1277

Gigabyte z77a-hd4 mobo ($120)
http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=78646&vpn=GA-Z77-HD4&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1360

Zalman CPU Cooler ($35)
http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=51106&vpn=CNPS10X Performa&manufacture=ZALMAN TECH

Powercolor 7870 Tahiti LE ($255)
http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=80887&vpn=AX7870 2GBD5-2DHPPV2E&manufacture=PowerColor

Corsair 2x4gb 1600mhz RAM ($68)
http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=62841&vpn=CML8GX3M2A1600C9W&manufacture=Corsair

Bit Fenix Ghost Case ($80)
http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=73006&vpn=BFC-GHO-300-KKN1-RP&manufacture=BitFenix&promoid=1277

XFX Core 450w ($52)
http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=63238&vpn=P1450SX2B9&manufacture=XFX

Samsung 840 120gb ($100)
http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=77210&vpn=MZ-7TD120BW&manufacture=Samsung Memory & Storage&promoid=1277

Seagate 1.5tb HDD ($90)
http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=70854&vpn=ST1500DM003&manufacture=Seagate

Samsung DVD-burner ($23)
http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=76258&vpn=SH-224BB/BEBE&manufacture=Samsung

Total: $1063



Placed my order earlier today Even saved and extra $50 by pricematching. Thanks again, quite excited for my parts to arrive.
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
April 12 2013 09:17 GMT
#29014
Should have posted before you ordered because you could have done better in some places.
ZeratuLsc2
Profile Joined November 2011
Canada426 Posts
April 12 2013 10:25 GMT
#29015
On April 12 2013 18:17 skyR wrote:
Should have posted before you ordered because you could have done better in some places.


I did posted before I ordered, that's where I got the build from.
MrCon
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
France29748 Posts
April 12 2013 11:34 GMT
#29016
Yeah, nice build, have fun
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-12 15:54:53
April 12 2013 15:35 GMT
#29017
On April 12 2013 10:52 mav451 wrote:
Haha Cyro - I'm more impressed by true 24/7 OCs...so I'll await his overnight 1792K P95 custom blend proofs


13 hours: http://i.imgur.com/AENE6DH.jpg

Didnt hit 1792k might manually test the tricky ones but if it can do this, it's probably good. Any in particular? Got 1792, 1344, 4096, but it already did 1344.

56, 63, 59, 58 current temps under p95 with 70/78/80/74 absolute max for undelidded 5ghz is just awesome.
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
mav451
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1596 Posts
April 12 2013 15:48 GMT
#29018
Haha is there a reason you're providing the updates instead of this guy directly?
With no power comes no responsibility?
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
April 12 2013 15:55 GMT
#29019
I dunno, little excited about amazing CPU i guess
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
findingthelimit
Profile Joined May 2012
Hong Kong219 Posts
April 12 2013 15:59 GMT
#29020
hey guys, i'm having trouble shutting my hyper 212+ up. i boot into BIOS, and when I tab to the fan settings instead of having settings as high, medium, and low, it asks what I want my max temp to be. I assume it adjusts accordingly, so if i set my max temps to 90, my fan would stop running, no problem. but obviously, i don't want my computer to explode...

the default one is 50 celcius, and my computer is extremely extremely loud, even when i'm on the windows desktop. quite strange, as i have a good i5 3570, 8gbs of ram, and a modest 450w gold-cert psu. my gpu is 7870 if it matters...

are the asrock motherboards just stranger than the other ones? i have a h77 pro4-mvp. also, there are built-in fan controllers in my antec 900, but i've set them all on low manually already. i don't think it made much of a difference.
Prev 1 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1626 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 7m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Free 886
Soulkey 338
Soma 208
Larva 191
Mind 72
ZerO 56
soO 25
ajuk12(nOOB) 22
scan(afreeca) 21
zelot 7
League of Legends
JimRising 565
Counter-Strike
edward134
Other Games
summit1g7935
singsing1410
Coldzera 685
WinterStarcraft661
Sick204
ZerO(Twitch)7
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick678
BasetradeTV251
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 15
• LUISG 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2243
League of Legends
• Jankos2143
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
1h 7m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
3h 7m
AI Arena Tournament
8h 7m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
10h 7m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 1h
Patches Events
1d 6h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 10h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 10h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.