• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:44
CEST 01:44
KST 08:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8289 users

Balance Patch 5.0.11 PTR Patch Notes - Page 24

Forum Index > SC2 General
594 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 22 23 24 25 26 30 Next All
Charoisaur
Profile Joined August 2014
Germany16101 Posts
January 09 2023 13:39 GMT
#461
On January 09 2023 20:18 SHODAN wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 09 2023 17:55 Charoisaur wrote:
On January 09 2023 17:28 Yoshi Kirishima wrote:
If SC2 was slowed down just slightly, it would be great and make it much more accessible a game.

It was slowed down successfully by discouraging deathballs and adding more units that zone and make the game more about smaller/spread out engagements, and more interaction on both sides, but it was also sped up since units' speed kept getting faster and faster. It kind of sucks that, especially if this patch goes through, it'll feel like a third of all units got their speed buffed over time, and we could have instead nerfed the speed of other units slightly instead, or come to some middleground.

Anyway, if the game speed was 10% slower, or if the DPS overall was decreased by ~15%, those would already be significant help in making micro and reacting more manageable for people who aren't fast, and make it feel more about thinking and less about speed.

Age of Empires is slower but less popular. I think it's a misbelief slowed down gamespeed makes the game more accessible


Age of Empires is a bad example because it's boring to watch

I'm not saying that SC2 should be as slow as WC3 (or any other RTS for that matter) because that would be awful, just that SC2 needs to find its own sweet spot in terms of game speed.

Warcraft III, on its own terms, hit a pace that was enjoyable for both viewership and players. it had a snappy early-game that was unsettled by the unpredictability of item drops, which led towards intense mid-game skirmishes and dramatic micro battles. what stands WC3 apart is the comeback potential. that's what made it exciting for me.

imagine Maru vs herO. Maru is down 60 supply vs herO's max. herO is ready to push in and land the killing blow. now take herO out of the chair and swap him with a low master player. Maru still loses from this position 90% of the time. WHY? because no amount of micro can overcome a severe supply deficit in SC2. to win from this position, Maru doesn't just need his opponent to play poorly. he needs the opponent to fuck up spectacularly beyond all belief

hatch a similar scenario in WC3 and what happens? Moon, Infi or Grubby win 90% of the time, in large part because the game is paced in favour of miracle micro.

SC2 is a numbers game first and a micro battler a very distant second. I suggest that the gulf between these 2 things should be narrowed so that micro can become more exciting and meaningful.

I've seen Maru come back from such a position (60 supply down) vs Serral lol
Many of the coolest moments in sc2 happen due to worker harassment
Charoisaur
Profile Joined August 2014
Germany16101 Posts
January 09 2023 13:44 GMT
#462
On January 09 2023 21:07 syndbg wrote:
The latest batch of changes. Overall tweaks to the power dynamic of HTs vs vipers, disruptors vs hydra and some tweaks to raven's strength while addressing cyclone dmg nerf vs armored (e.g town halls) by buffing lock-on range.

Also, ghost slightly more reliable with its snipe trades.

[image loading]

Okay, I'm losing hope in the balance council, all the feedback they got is that the patch is grossly Zerg favored and all they do is extremely minor value changes (some of them reducing the minor Zerg nerfs even like the Viper one wtf).
No one can tell me the council isn't run by Zerg players.
Many of the coolest moments in sc2 happen due to worker harassment
tigera6
Profile Joined March 2021
3516 Posts
January 09 2023 13:46 GMT
#463
On January 09 2023 21:50 CicadaSC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 09 2023 21:42 tigera6 wrote:
Its good that they still making change and testing, but how is this going to make it into IEM? Then again, these are more like "fine tuning" than change, they know that Ghost Snipe range nerf got pushed back so they extend it a bit, same with Hydra speed, Cyclone micro and Disruptor Ball AoE.

no, these are not minor changes protoss has a chance at winning if this patch doesnt go live, if it does as is, 100% zerg wins

I mean these are fine-tune from the previous version of the patch change (v1.7?). At this point, its likely that these change will go through after they iron out the exact values. The question is whether they want to make it for IEM for not.
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46484 Posts
Last Edited: 2023-01-09 14:27:12
January 09 2023 14:23 GMT
#464
On January 09 2023 20:18 SHODAN wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 09 2023 17:55 Charoisaur wrote:
On January 09 2023 17:28 Yoshi Kirishima wrote:
If SC2 was slowed down just slightly, it would be great and make it much more accessible a game.

It was slowed down successfully by discouraging deathballs and adding more units that zone and make the game more about smaller/spread out engagements, and more interaction on both sides, but it was also sped up since units' speed kept getting faster and faster. It kind of sucks that, especially if this patch goes through, it'll feel like a third of all units got their speed buffed over time, and we could have instead nerfed the speed of other units slightly instead, or come to some middleground.

Anyway, if the game speed was 10% slower, or if the DPS overall was decreased by ~15%, those would already be significant help in making micro and reacting more manageable for people who aren't fast, and make it feel more about thinking and less about speed.

Age of Empires is slower but less popular. I think it's a misbelief slowed down gamespeed makes the game more accessible


Age of Empires is a bad example because it's boring to watch

I'm not saying that SC2 should be as slow as WC3 (or any other RTS for that matter) because that would be awful, just that SC2 needs to find its own sweet spot in terms of game speed.

Warcraft III, on its own terms, hit a pace that was enjoyable for both viewership and players. it had a snappy early-game that was unsettled by the unpredictability of item drops, which led towards intense mid-game skirmishes and dramatic micro battles. what stands WC3 apart is the comeback potential. that's what made it exciting for me.

imagine Maru vs herO. Maru is down 60 supply vs herO's max. herO is ready to push in and land the killing blow. now take herO out of the chair and swap him with a low master player. Maru still loses from this position 90% of the time. WHY? because no amount of micro can overcome a severe supply deficit in SC2. to win from this position, Maru doesn't just need his opponent to play poorly. he needs the opponent to fuck up spectacularly beyond all belief

hatch a similar scenario in WC3 and what happens? Moon, Infi or Grubby win 90% of the time, in large part because the game is paced in favour of miracle micro.


SC2 is a numbers game first and a micro battler a very distant second. I suggest that the gulf between these 2 things should be narrowed so that micro can become more exciting and meaningful.


I feel like you're primarily annoyed with the fact that micro and macro both matter in SC2, and that you wish only micro mattered. Also, the more comeback potential a game has, the less the gameplay up until that moment matters, so there definitely needs to be a balance where gaining a lead means something.

I also don't see your Maru vs. herO hypothetical as a fair comparison. They're both playing the entire game, and if you've created a scenario where one player has played so much better that they're definitionally in a basically-unlosable situation, then yes, tautologically they pretty much deserve to win unless something very unlikely happens. And even with that being said, we've seen players go full-foreigner and throw games before, or other players claw victory from the jaws of defeat. Playing poorly in the early game shouldn't be rewarded with having an equal chance of victory in the late game, unless they made up for the deficit somehow. And every competitive, skill-based game (that isn't a literal coinflip) gets to a point where "player X wins from this position 90% of the time", and that's a good thing because one player deserves that lead from playing well (or from their opponent playing poorly).
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
Athenau
Profile Joined March 2015
590 Posts
January 09 2023 14:32 GMT
#465
The cyclone change is, IMO, more significant than it appears. Cyclones tend to take chip damage when they stop to lock on to longer range units (6 range+), now there's a greater chance that they'll get the lock without penalty. It also allows more of them to lock on at once. In general, range changes are some of the most consequential buffs you can get in this game, so I wouldn't underestimate the impact here.

The other changes are whatever, and the fact that they're softening the viper abduct nerf (which has been barely noticeable in the games so far) is just wtf.
ejozl
Profile Joined October 2010
Denmark3553 Posts
January 09 2023 14:36 GMT
#466
Vision, Range and Move speed increases, all work towards making the game more claustrophobic, in the sense that the two players are closer to each other. And I think they are all a bit too big in SC2.

If you want to mount a come back as a surperior player vs. an inferior player (mechanically), you need time for this mechanical ability to take effect. You use space to create this time. Either you put an obstacle in the way, be it some backstab attack that the other player has to deal with. Or you move around, using mobility to slow down the push, and taking away vision. Then strong AoE needs to be an availability to make it possible that a smaller army can beat a bigger army. Else it just becomes a build order game. Big range units are stronger vs AoE, they don't need to commit as hard when battling. They also work better together when split vs. lower range units. There are other factors as well, such as defenders advantage and positional advantages and such. For instance, if you stand atop a ramp, imagine how much worse Roaches perform breaching that ramp vs. a bigger range unit like the Stalker, or Hydralisk.
Now lets say that Roaches are trying to defend atop the ramp and Stalkers try to attack the position from the low ground. If vision doesn't ruin it for the Stalker player, in a sense, the Stalker player BECOMES the defender, because of the range advantage.
I think Roach battles, while they get blamed for being boring, probably because of the stats of the unit and a long history of Roach vs. Roach in ZvZ's, they are a lot more intricate than Marine vs. Marine battles, or Stalker vs. Stalker (no Blink). The small ranges make position matter a lot more. This is the same with mass Archon usage, it gets blamed for being a-move, but it is really not. If it was a-moved the other player would abuse the hell out of that. But because of the Archon having only 3 range, the army is super positional. We see a lot of hold position being used, pulling back one side and etc. I'm thinking mostly of PvZ here.

The movespeed being buffed is such a cliché and genuinely makes the game worse. Players didn't find WoL too fast, but this all changed with HotS. The Medivac speed boost changed the entire game. This was done by David Kim to overbuff the 'exciting' units to enhance the viewing experience. The mistake here is that the Medivac became so strong that play not utilizing this unit becomes subpar (we can see the same effect with the current Warp Prism). So this not only made Terran play more 1-dimensional, but also had effect on the rest of gameplay. Because Medivacs are so strong, Mutalisks not only got a speed boost, but regeneration as well. Oracles that started out a slower unit, got an incredible speed boost. The Protos Mothership Core was so that Protoss could even deal with these faster Medivacs and Mutalisks. And even Phoenix got +1 range to deal with these Mutalisks. Hydralisks didn't even have a speed upgrade prior to HotS. Since then we've had an INSANE amount of speed increases, not to mention fast units implemented. And it's just kind of silly when you think about it. Mutalisk speed increased to fight off faster Medivacs, then Overseer speed being buffed so they can keep up with the Mutalisks fighting of Widow Mines, then Dark Templars getting Blink, because the unit is underutilized, it's laughable. And we wonder why people think this game is too fast.

I want to put this post to a close, so I will just end by saying: Increasing movespeeds further is a mistake. I think the Hydralisk speed buff is fine, if you remove the +1 range upgrade (I do think Hydralisk should've always been a "fast" unit). Buffing the Observer speed, which is already a broken detector unit is especially a mistake. The Ultralisk size decrease is also a mistake and it looks terrible.
Decreasing Protoss ability to survive allins (Shield Battery, Disruptor nerf) is a mistake.

---

It should also be said that increasing the accessibility of getting units, removing upgrades, decreasing build times and resource costs, these also further this problem of making the game faster. Because more options can come at you at an earlier time all at once. You really just have to blink and eyelid and already Carriers are out, the build time decrease on this unit is probably the only problem it has, it's a pretty weak unit.
SC2 Archon needs "Terrible, terrible damage" as one of it's quotes.
ZeroByte13
Profile Joined March 2022
799 Posts
Last Edited: 2023-01-09 14:47:48
January 09 2023 14:45 GMT
#467
On January 09 2023 20:18 SHODAN wrote:
imagine Maru vs herO. Maru is down 60 supply vs herO's max. herO is ready to push in and land the killing blow. now take herO out of the chair and swap him with a low master player. Maru still loses from this position 90% of the time.
Not true, check Harstem's channel where he debunks exactly this myth.
A few people said "even I'd win from this position, it's unlosable" - and then Harstem destroyed them in the span of 2 minutes. He went from "it's impossible to win" to "it's impossible to lose" position in 2 minutes, because he's that much better than low masters players. Usually after a single minute it was obvious he'll win and it won't be even close.

And Maru is even stronger, he or Serral / Dark / Reynor / herO would probably crush any non-pro GM in 2 minutes in this situation.
Beelzebub1
Profile Joined May 2015
1005 Posts
January 09 2023 14:50 GMT
#468
On January 09 2023 22:44 Charoisaur wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 09 2023 21:07 syndbg wrote:
The latest batch of changes. Overall tweaks to the power dynamic of HTs vs vipers, disruptors vs hydra and some tweaks to raven's strength while addressing cyclone dmg nerf vs armored (e.g town halls) by buffing lock-on range.

Also, ghost slightly more reliable with its snipe trades.

[image loading]

Okay, I'm losing hope in the balance council, all the feedback they got is that the patch is grossly Zerg favored and all they do is extremely minor value changes (some of them reducing the minor Zerg nerfs even like the Viper one wtf).
No one can tell me the council isn't run by Zerg players.


I mean, it is a Hydra speed nerf, a reduction of the Disruptor nerf and a snipe buff ultimately lol I'm not sure this latest patch iteration is the best example of the, "shadow Zerg cabal ".

Still, that being said, this patch has no business going out before a major tournament when they are still doing little changes every day or two. I'd say we need a minimum of another month of testing.

I mean what's the rush? Hopefully our community casters can maybe get a bit more time, put together a couple of Bo7 match ups between all 9 match ups. I know the ESL open cup and Wardii already did some stuff but then the balance team went and made a few more changes.
Athenau
Profile Joined March 2015
590 Posts
Last Edited: 2023-01-09 15:02:40
January 09 2023 15:00 GMT
#469
On January 09 2023 23:50 Beelzebub1 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 09 2023 22:44 Charoisaur wrote:
On January 09 2023 21:07 syndbg wrote:
The latest batch of changes. Overall tweaks to the power dynamic of HTs vs vipers, disruptors vs hydra and some tweaks to raven's strength while addressing cyclone dmg nerf vs armored (e.g town halls) by buffing lock-on range.

Also, ghost slightly more reliable with its snipe trades.

[image loading]

Okay, I'm losing hope in the balance council, all the feedback they got is that the patch is grossly Zerg favored and all they do is extremely minor value changes (some of them reducing the minor Zerg nerfs even like the Viper one wtf).
No one can tell me the council isn't run by Zerg players.


I mean, it is a Hydra speed nerf, a reduction of the Disruptor nerf and a snipe buff ultimately lol I'm not sure this latest patch iteration is the best example of the, "shadow Zerg cabal ".

Still, that being said, this patch has no business going out before a major tournament when they are still doing little changes every day or two. I'd say we need a minimum of another month of testing.

I mean what's the rush? Hopefully our community casters can maybe get a bit more time, put together a couple of Bo7 match ups between all 9 match ups. I know the ESL open cup and Wardii already did some stuff but then the balance team went and made a few more changes.

They're the smallest possible changes they can make in response to the public outcry. If someone was a member of the ShadowZerg conspiracy this is absolutely how they'd operate.
Charoisaur
Profile Joined August 2014
Germany16101 Posts
January 09 2023 15:15 GMT
#470
On January 10 2023 00:00 Athenau wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 09 2023 23:50 Beelzebub1 wrote:
On January 09 2023 22:44 Charoisaur wrote:
On January 09 2023 21:07 syndbg wrote:
The latest batch of changes. Overall tweaks to the power dynamic of HTs vs vipers, disruptors vs hydra and some tweaks to raven's strength while addressing cyclone dmg nerf vs armored (e.g town halls) by buffing lock-on range.

Also, ghost slightly more reliable with its snipe trades.

[image loading]

Okay, I'm losing hope in the balance council, all the feedback they got is that the patch is grossly Zerg favored and all they do is extremely minor value changes (some of them reducing the minor Zerg nerfs even like the Viper one wtf).
No one can tell me the council isn't run by Zerg players.


I mean, it is a Hydra speed nerf, a reduction of the Disruptor nerf and a snipe buff ultimately lol I'm not sure this latest patch iteration is the best example of the, "shadow Zerg cabal ".

Still, that being said, this patch has no business going out before a major tournament when they are still doing little changes every day or two. I'd say we need a minimum of another month of testing.

I mean what's the rush? Hopefully our community casters can maybe get a bit more time, put together a couple of Bo7 match ups between all 9 match ups. I know the ESL open cup and Wardii already did some stuff but then the balance team went and made a few more changes.

They're the smallest possible changes they can make in response to the public outcry. If someone was a member of the ShadowZerg conspiracy this is absolutely how they'd operate.

Yeah I wouldn't even consider a 0.07 speed reduction a nerf at all
Many of the coolest moments in sc2 happen due to worker harassment
Ciaus_Dronu
Profile Joined June 2017
South Africa1848 Posts
January 09 2023 15:19 GMT
#471
Those 1.9 changes are...
Eh.
Not inspiring.
Beelzebub1
Profile Joined May 2015
1005 Posts
January 09 2023 15:36 GMT
#472
On January 10 2023 00:15 Charoisaur wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 10 2023 00:00 Athenau wrote:
On January 09 2023 23:50 Beelzebub1 wrote:
On January 09 2023 22:44 Charoisaur wrote:
On January 09 2023 21:07 syndbg wrote:
The latest batch of changes. Overall tweaks to the power dynamic of HTs vs vipers, disruptors vs hydra and some tweaks to raven's strength while addressing cyclone dmg nerf vs armored (e.g town halls) by buffing lock-on range.

Also, ghost slightly more reliable with its snipe trades.

[image loading]

Okay, I'm losing hope in the balance council, all the feedback they got is that the patch is grossly Zerg favored and all they do is extremely minor value changes (some of them reducing the minor Zerg nerfs even like the Viper one wtf).
No one can tell me the council isn't run by Zerg players.


I mean, it is a Hydra speed nerf, a reduction of the Disruptor nerf and a snipe buff ultimately lol I'm not sure this latest patch iteration is the best example of the, "shadow Zerg cabal ".

Still, that being said, this patch has no business going out before a major tournament when they are still doing little changes every day or two. I'd say we need a minimum of another month of testing.

I mean what's the rush? Hopefully our community casters can maybe get a bit more time, put together a couple of Bo7 match ups between all 9 match ups. I know the ESL open cup and Wardii already did some stuff but then the balance team went and made a few more changes.

They're the smallest possible changes they can make in response to the public outcry. If someone was a member of the ShadowZerg conspiracy this is absolutely how they'd operate.

Yeah I wouldn't even consider a 0.07 speed reduction a nerf at all


Okay, what about the Disruptor change? There's another 0.25 in the radius, small but there.
What about the snipe change? Another small 0.5 change, small but there.

If the Viper buff (which this entire change to the Viper just sucks in general imo) wasn't there would it be okay because it would be a small Zerg nerf and a small buff for the other races?

You are aware I'm sure that the ESL balance testing winners were MaxPax, Byun and Dark, I mean, how imbalanced is it really? Wouldn't Zerg be overperforming in these cups if it was imbalanced to such a large degree?

No disrespect intended with anything I'm saying, just trying to have an honest discussion. I'll reiterate that I think this patch has no business going forward in it's current form without further testing despite appearing, for all intent and purposes, pretty balanced.

Charoisaur
Profile Joined August 2014
Germany16101 Posts
Last Edited: 2023-01-09 15:48:37
January 09 2023 15:47 GMT
#473
On January 10 2023 00:36 Beelzebub1 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 10 2023 00:15 Charoisaur wrote:
On January 10 2023 00:00 Athenau wrote:
On January 09 2023 23:50 Beelzebub1 wrote:
On January 09 2023 22:44 Charoisaur wrote:
On January 09 2023 21:07 syndbg wrote:
The latest batch of changes. Overall tweaks to the power dynamic of HTs vs vipers, disruptors vs hydra and some tweaks to raven's strength while addressing cyclone dmg nerf vs armored (e.g town halls) by buffing lock-on range.

Also, ghost slightly more reliable with its snipe trades.

[image loading]

Okay, I'm losing hope in the balance council, all the feedback they got is that the patch is grossly Zerg favored and all they do is extremely minor value changes (some of them reducing the minor Zerg nerfs even like the Viper one wtf).
No one can tell me the council isn't run by Zerg players.


I mean, it is a Hydra speed nerf, a reduction of the Disruptor nerf and a snipe buff ultimately lol I'm not sure this latest patch iteration is the best example of the, "shadow Zerg cabal ".

Still, that being said, this patch has no business going out before a major tournament when they are still doing little changes every day or two. I'd say we need a minimum of another month of testing.

I mean what's the rush? Hopefully our community casters can maybe get a bit more time, put together a couple of Bo7 match ups between all 9 match ups. I know the ESL open cup and Wardii already did some stuff but then the balance team went and made a few more changes.

They're the smallest possible changes they can make in response to the public outcry. If someone was a member of the ShadowZerg conspiracy this is absolutely how they'd operate.

Yeah I wouldn't even consider a 0.07 speed reduction a nerf at all


Okay, what about the Disruptor change? There's another 0.25 in the radius, small but there.
What about the snipe change? Another small 0.5 change, small but there.

If the Viper buff (which this entire change to the Viper just sucks in general imo) wasn't there would it be okay because it would be a small Zerg nerf and a small buff for the other races?

You are aware I'm sure that the ESL balance testing winners were MaxPax, Byun and Dark, I mean, how imbalanced is it really? Wouldn't Zerg be overperforming in these cups if it was imbalanced to such a large degree?

No disrespect intended with anything I'm saying, just trying to have an honest discussion. I'll reiterate that I think this patch has no business going forward in it's current form without further testing despite appearing, for all intent and purposes, pretty balanced.


Using the ESL cups to judge balance is... disingenous to word it carefully. The strongest Zerg in the EU cup was Rattata, of course Zerg won't win it.

The problem people have is that Zerg has been dominating for a long time now and win more than 50% of tournaments. I don't complain that Disruptors and Ghosts are slightly rebuffed but that doesn't adress the fundamental problem with this patch as it's still a clear net Zerg buff which is in the current situation just mind-boggling.
Many of the coolest moments in sc2 happen due to worker harassment
tigera6
Profile Joined March 2021
3516 Posts
Last Edited: 2023-01-09 15:59:50
January 09 2023 15:52 GMT
#474
On January 10 2023 00:36 Beelzebub1 wrote:
You are aware I'm sure that the ESL balance testing winners were MaxPax, Byun and Dark, I mean, how imbalanced is it really? Wouldn't Zerg be overperforming in these cups if it was imbalanced to such a large degree?

No disrespect intended with anything I'm saying, just trying to have an honest discussion. I'll reiterate that I think this patch has no business going forward in it's current form without further testing despite appearing, for all intent and purposes, pretty balanced.


Zerg doesnt over-perform because they dont play in open cup in general. Dark is the only one who play consistently since the patch rolls out. Solar, Ragnarok, Lambo, Reynor and Serral are not playing those enough. I know Scarlett has been streaming alot but even she doesnt play Open Cup on this new patch.

And I am sure the people who are in the balance committee, or caster who care about it, will look at this whole thread as another balance complain and trying to be toxic. But we are just speaking out mind, and while most of us cant tell a build order timing down to seconds, we understand the game enough to know have some good prediction about what the change would do.

Remember how we all think it was stupid to have Pride of Altaris in the map pool last year into IEM, guess what happen?
syndbg
Profile Joined February 2018
43 Posts
January 09 2023 16:15 GMT
#475
On January 10 2023 00:52 tigera6 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 10 2023 00:36 Beelzebub1 wrote:
You are aware I'm sure that the ESL balance testing winners were MaxPax, Byun and Dark, I mean, how imbalanced is it really? Wouldn't Zerg be overperforming in these cups if it was imbalanced to such a large degree?

No disrespect intended with anything I'm saying, just trying to have an honest discussion. I'll reiterate that I think this patch has no business going forward in it's current form without further testing despite appearing, for all intent and purposes, pretty balanced.


Zerg doesnt over-perform because they dont play in open cup in general. Dark is the only one who play consistently since the patch rolls out. Solar, Ragnarok, Lambo, Reynor and Serral are not playing those enough. I know Scarlett has been streaming alot but even she doesnt play Open Cup on this new patch.

And I am sure the people who are in the balance committee, or caster who care about it, will look at this whole thread as another balance complain and trying to be toxic. But we are just speaking out mind, and while most of us cant tell a build order timing down to seconds, we understand the game enough to know have some good prediction about what the change would do.

Remember how we all think it was stupid to have Pride of Altaris in the map pool last year into IEM, guess what happen?


Not really, you folks don't really understand anything, and me neither.

Pride of Altaris is statistically fine (Wiki)Pride of Altaris LE
Athenau
Profile Joined March 2015
590 Posts
January 09 2023 16:17 GMT
#476
On January 10 2023 00:36 Beelzebub1 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 10 2023 00:15 Charoisaur wrote:
On January 10 2023 00:00 Athenau wrote:
On January 09 2023 23:50 Beelzebub1 wrote:
On January 09 2023 22:44 Charoisaur wrote:
On January 09 2023 21:07 syndbg wrote:
The latest batch of changes. Overall tweaks to the power dynamic of HTs vs vipers, disruptors vs hydra and some tweaks to raven's strength while addressing cyclone dmg nerf vs armored (e.g town halls) by buffing lock-on range.

Also, ghost slightly more reliable with its snipe trades.

[image loading]

Okay, I'm losing hope in the balance council, all the feedback they got is that the patch is grossly Zerg favored and all they do is extremely minor value changes (some of them reducing the minor Zerg nerfs even like the Viper one wtf).
No one can tell me the council isn't run by Zerg players.


I mean, it is a Hydra speed nerf, a reduction of the Disruptor nerf and a snipe buff ultimately lol I'm not sure this latest patch iteration is the best example of the, "shadow Zerg cabal ".

Still, that being said, this patch has no business going out before a major tournament when they are still doing little changes every day or two. I'd say we need a minimum of another month of testing.

I mean what's the rush? Hopefully our community casters can maybe get a bit more time, put together a couple of Bo7 match ups between all 9 match ups. I know the ESL open cup and Wardii already did some stuff but then the balance team went and made a few more changes.

They're the smallest possible changes they can make in response to the public outcry. If someone was a member of the ShadowZerg conspiracy this is absolutely how they'd operate.

Yeah I wouldn't even consider a 0.07 speed reduction a nerf at all


Okay, what about the Disruptor change? There's another 0.25 in the radius, small but there.
What about the snipe change? Another small 0.5 change, small but there.

If the Viper buff (which this entire change to the Viper just sucks in general imo) wasn't there would it be okay because it would be a small Zerg nerf and a small buff for the other races?

You are aware I'm sure that the ESL balance testing winners were MaxPax, Byun and Dark, I mean, how imbalanced is it really? Wouldn't Zerg be overperforming in these cups if it was imbalanced to such a large degree?

No disrespect intended with anything I'm saying, just trying to have an honest discussion. I'll reiterate that I think this patch has no business going forward in it's current form without further testing despite appearing, for all intent and purposes, pretty balanced.


No, because the fundamental issue hasn't been fixed. For Terran, the power removed by the Ghost nerf hasn't been reallocated elsewhere. And for Protoss, it's debatable if the minor gateway and upgrade buffs adequately compensate for the disruptor nerf.
[Phantom]
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
Mexico2170 Posts
Last Edited: 2023-01-09 17:30:21
January 09 2023 16:39 GMT
#477
On January 09 2023 23:50 Beelzebub1 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 09 2023 22:44 Charoisaur wrote:
On January 09 2023 21:07 syndbg wrote:
The latest batch of changes. Overall tweaks to the power dynamic of HTs vs vipers, disruptors vs hydra and some tweaks to raven's strength while addressing cyclone dmg nerf vs armored (e.g town halls) by buffing lock-on range.

Also, ghost slightly more reliable with its snipe trades.

[image loading]

Okay, I'm losing hope in the balance council, all the feedback they got is that the patch is grossly Zerg favored and all they do is extremely minor value changes (some of them reducing the minor Zerg nerfs even like the Viper one wtf).
No one can tell me the council isn't run by Zerg players.


I mean, it is a Hydra speed nerf, a reduction of the Disruptor nerf and a snipe buff ultimately lol I'm not sure this latest patch iteration is the best example of the, "shadow Zerg cabal ".

Still, that being said, this patch has no business going out before a major tournament when they are still doing little changes every day or two. I'd say we need a minimum of another month of testing.

I mean what's the rush? Hopefully our community casters can maybe get a bit more time, put together a couple of Bo7 match ups between all 9 match ups. I know the ESL open cup and Wardii already did some stuff but then the balance team went and made a few more changes.


the nerfs are a joke. disrupttor nerf change from 1.35 to 1.37? and then 0.07 speed reduction that's not noticeable? and a BUFF to the already barely noticeable viper nerf?

get out of here with that bs

This is insulting. The balance council is treating us like idiots with these changes. I don't respect any of them which at best are clueless and at worst malicious. This is ridiculous and shameless, You guys at the balance council are shameless.

___-
WriterTeamLiquid Staff writer since 2014 @Mortal_Phantom
JJH777
Profile Joined January 2011
United States4420 Posts
January 09 2023 16:59 GMT
#478
On January 10 2023 00:36 Beelzebub1 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 10 2023 00:15 Charoisaur wrote:
On January 10 2023 00:00 Athenau wrote:
On January 09 2023 23:50 Beelzebub1 wrote:
On January 09 2023 22:44 Charoisaur wrote:
On January 09 2023 21:07 syndbg wrote:
The latest batch of changes. Overall tweaks to the power dynamic of HTs vs vipers, disruptors vs hydra and some tweaks to raven's strength while addressing cyclone dmg nerf vs armored (e.g town halls) by buffing lock-on range.

Also, ghost slightly more reliable with its snipe trades.

[image loading]

Okay, I'm losing hope in the balance council, all the feedback they got is that the patch is grossly Zerg favored and all they do is extremely minor value changes (some of them reducing the minor Zerg nerfs even like the Viper one wtf).
No one can tell me the council isn't run by Zerg players.


I mean, it is a Hydra speed nerf, a reduction of the Disruptor nerf and a snipe buff ultimately lol I'm not sure this latest patch iteration is the best example of the, "shadow Zerg cabal ".

Still, that being said, this patch has no business going out before a major tournament when they are still doing little changes every day or two. I'd say we need a minimum of another month of testing.

I mean what's the rush? Hopefully our community casters can maybe get a bit more time, put together a couple of Bo7 match ups between all 9 match ups. I know the ESL open cup and Wardii already did some stuff but then the balance team went and made a few more changes.

They're the smallest possible changes they can make in response to the public outcry. If someone was a member of the ShadowZerg conspiracy this is absolutely how they'd operate.

Yeah I wouldn't even consider a 0.07 speed reduction a nerf at all


Okay, what about the Disruptor change? There's another 0.25 in the radius, small but there.
What about the snipe change? Another small 0.5 change, small but there.

If the Viper buff (which this entire change to the Viper just sucks in general imo) wasn't there would it be okay because it would be a small Zerg nerf and a small buff for the other races?

You are aware I'm sure that the ESL balance testing winners were MaxPax, Byun and Dark, I mean, how imbalanced is it really? Wouldn't Zerg be overperforming in these cups if it was imbalanced to such a large degree?

No disrespect intended with anything I'm saying, just trying to have an honest discussion. I'll reiterate that I think this patch has no business going forward in it's current form without further testing despite appearing, for all intent and purposes, pretty balanced.



The only real significant result in those cups was Byun beating Dark to win the one he won. I watched that series and Dark just did 3 ravager all-ins in a row to lose that series.. He was literally using a build that got a significant nerf in PTR. That says absolutely nothing about how balance will play out.
InfCereal
Profile Joined December 2011
Canada1759 Posts
January 09 2023 17:01 GMT
#479
On January 10 2023 01:39 [Phantom] wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 09 2023 23:50 Beelzebub1 wrote:
On January 09 2023 22:44 Charoisaur wrote:
On January 09 2023 21:07 syndbg wrote:
The latest batch of changes. Overall tweaks to the power dynamic of HTs vs vipers, disruptors vs hydra and some tweaks to raven's strength while addressing cyclone dmg nerf vs armored (e.g town halls) by buffing lock-on range.

Also, ghost slightly more reliable with its snipe trades.

[image loading]

Okay, I'm losing hope in the balance council, all the feedback they got is that the patch is grossly Zerg favored and all they do is extremely minor value changes (some of them reducing the minor Zerg nerfs even like the Viper one wtf).
No one can tell me the council isn't run by Zerg players.


I mean, it is a Hydra speed nerf, a reduction of the Disruptor nerf and a snipe buff ultimately lol I'm not sure this latest patch iteration is the best example of the, "shadow Zerg cabal ".

Still, that being said, this patch has no business going out before a major tournament when they are still doing little changes every day or two. I'd say we need a minimum of another month of testing.

I mean what's the rush? Hopefully our community casters can maybe get a bit more time, put together a couple of Bo7 match ups between all 9 match ups. I know the ESL open cup and Wardii already did some stuff but then the balance team went and made a few more changes.


the nerfs are a joke. disrupttor nerf change from 1.35 to 1.37? and then 0.07 speed reduction that's not noticeable? and a BUFF to the already barely noticeable viper nerf?

get out of here with that bs

This is insulting. The balance council is treating us like idiots with these changes. I don't respect any of them which at best are clueless and at worst malicious. This is ridiculous and shameless, You guys at the balance council are shameless.


Hey don't worry about it. Just rely on luck to overcome any balance issue you have on ladder!
Cereal
tigera6
Profile Joined March 2021
3516 Posts
January 09 2023 17:20 GMT
#480
On January 10 2023 01:15 syndbg wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 10 2023 00:52 tigera6 wrote:
On January 10 2023 00:36 Beelzebub1 wrote:
You are aware I'm sure that the ESL balance testing winners were MaxPax, Byun and Dark, I mean, how imbalanced is it really? Wouldn't Zerg be overperforming in these cups if it was imbalanced to such a large degree?

No disrespect intended with anything I'm saying, just trying to have an honest discussion. I'll reiterate that I think this patch has no business going forward in it's current form without further testing despite appearing, for all intent and purposes, pretty balanced.


Zerg doesnt over-perform because they dont play in open cup in general. Dark is the only one who play consistently since the patch rolls out. Solar, Ragnarok, Lambo, Reynor and Serral are not playing those enough. I know Scarlett has been streaming alot but even she doesnt play Open Cup on this new patch.

And I am sure the people who are in the balance committee, or caster who care about it, will look at this whole thread as another balance complain and trying to be toxic. But we are just speaking out mind, and while most of us cant tell a build order timing down to seconds, we understand the game enough to know have some good prediction about what the change would do.

Remember how we all think it was stupid to have Pride of Altaris in the map pool last year into IEM, guess what happen?


Not really, you folks don't really understand anything, and me neither.

Pride of Altaris is statistically fine https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/Pride_of_Altaris_LE

You gotta do a better research than that, among all the premiere tournament played on that map pool, Pride of Altaris has been played a whopping 45 times in 5 tournaments (TSL 8, Last Chance, ST1, DH Valencia Regional, ST1 and half of Code S1). Why? because its so bad that its been vetoed to shit by most Terran and even Protoss players against Zerg.
And during IEM, Zerg has 100% winrate on that map, the only Terran picked that map was Maru against Serral and he got smashed like a bug.
So yeah, please dont say that map is "fine", its making me throw up.
Prev 1 22 23 24 25 26 30 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
CranKy Ducklings60
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O155
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 105
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 877
ZZZero.O 155
Bale 21
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm165
League of Legends
Doublelift5307
JimRising 774
Other Games
summit1g9572
FrodaN3366
KnowMe197
C9.Mang0194
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1199
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream39
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP59
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie874
• Shiphtur203
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
10h 17m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
11h 17m
Monday Night Weeklies
16h 17m
Replay Cast
23h 17m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 10h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 11h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.