• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:25
CEST 21:25
KST 04:25
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026?
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
MLB/Baseball 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7776 users

[Interview] 2016 S2SL Season 1 Grand Finals Winner

Forum Index > SC2 General
32 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 Next All
Seeker *
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
Where dat snitch at?37117 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-04-13 20:31:08
April 09 2016 21:15 GMT
#1
[image loading]
Banner by Sneirac


[image loading] (Z)Dark

[image loading]

Source: Daily eSports

This was your first time winning a championship. How do you feel?

Before I even arrived to the stage, I knew that I was going shed tears once I won the championship. Now that I’ve actually won, it doesn’t feel real. It feels like a dream.

You are the first person to win a LotV championship in Korea.

This was the first LotV tournament to conclude in Korea, and since I won the championship, then doesn’t that mean that I am now the best in SC2? (laughs)

Did your prepared strategies work out well?

Up until game two, things went well as planned. From there on out, I improvised.

You did a baneling drop in pretty much every game. Is that how you prepared for your match?

My Protoss teammates helped me prepare for this match as if it was their own finals appearance. Through practice, I came to the conclusion that these drops would end up working out well. I was able to complete this strategy because my peers helped me out.

What did you focus on as you prepared for the finals?

I focused on those baneling drops. I was sure that I had established a new paradigm in ZvP. That’s why I was feeling confident. I had over a 90% win percentage during practice.

Former head coach BoxeR came to watch the finals.

After I made it to the finals, I privately contacted him to see if he could come see the finals. He told me, “I’ll be there, so don’t bother calling again and just focus on practicing.”

People have been calling you “The Emperor’s Descendant.” How do you think you got this far?

I felt like giving up because I was getting no results even though I was trying hard during practice. But then the people around me gave me lots of advice and cheered me on a lot. Thanks to their help, I am to stand where I am now.

With this victory, you are one step closer to the BlizzCon championship.

Last year, I disappointingly fell out of the BlizzCon running. Because of that, my greed has gotten even greater. From here on out, I want to win every tournament I participate in and even win the BlizzCon championship.

You were known for joining the “Kong Line” for your two consecutive KeSPA Cup second place finishes.

Personally, I never felt like I was a part of the “Kong Line”. I knew that I was lacking in skill back then. Seeing the term “Kong Line” doesn’t affect me whatsoever.

What did “Kong Line soO” say to you?

soO sunbae personally also feels that he’s not a part of the “Kong Line”. He encouraged me to do well even before he came to the finals arena. However, soO sunbae often says that he “feels bad because it feels like his teammates always get second place because of him.” I hope he will get rid of those feelings.

You faced Stats twice during this season of S2SL. What was different today than from your meeting earlier?

The first time we played, I was able to finish off everything with just roaches and lings. But today, I saw that he prepared macro games really well. I know for a fact that he practices a lot on a regular basis. He was definitely a threatening opponent.

What are your goals from here on out?

I wanted to win the S2SL championship and the GSL championship. While I feel that there were some scheduling struggles, I do admit that it is indeed difficult to do well in two leagues at the same time. But now that I’ve realized this, I want to make sure that I can win a dual championship.

Anything else you want to say?

There are a lot of people I have to thank for getting me this far. I want to thank my parents for raising me. I want to thank both BoxeR and Jessica for helping me start my pro-gaming career. I want to thank current coaches iloveoov, Kwon Oh Hyuk, and Park Dae Kyung. I also want to thank the SK Telecom Corporation. Lastly, I want to thank my friends and my fans.



Methods to locating SC2 interviews:
  • Go to the TL.net search bar and type in [Interview] and then search. You will find the most recent interviews at the top
  • Go to the SC2 Interviews/Translation Archive
  • Go to the liquipedia page for that player and look at the section titled "Interviews" http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/PartinG#Interviews
  • Go to the liquipedia page for that specific tournament and find this icon: [image loading] If you click on that icon, it will take you to the interview for that group's match winners
Facebook Twitter Reddit
ModeratorPeople ask me, "Seeker, what are you seeking?" My answer? "Sleep, damn it! Always sleep!"
TL+ Member
Elentos
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
55594 Posts
April 09 2016 21:26 GMT
#2
Thanks Seeker.
Every 60 seconds in Africa, a minute passes.
stilt
Profile Joined October 2012
France2755 Posts
April 09 2016 22:27 GMT
#3
His style is pretty interesting.
Thanks for the interview.
FrostedMiniWheats
Profile Joined August 2010
United States30730 Posts
April 09 2016 22:32 GMT
#4
Dark is kinda arrogant.

Can't say he hasn't earned it though.

NesTea | Mvp | MC | Leenock | Losira | Gumiho | DRG | Taeja | Jinro | Stephano | Thorzain | Sen | Idra |Polt | Bomber | Symbol | Squirtle | Fantasy | Jaedong | Maru | sOs | Seed | ByuN | ByuL | Neeb| Scarlett | Rogue | IM forever
j4kk
Profile Joined June 2013
United States9 Posts
April 10 2016 01:39 GMT
#5
Really great interview! Nice to see him being humble and thanking his teammates so often
You're Killing Me, Buster
ZigguratOfUr
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
Iraq16955 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-04-10 01:56:48
April 10 2016 01:55 GMT
#6
Haven't Rogue and ByuL played drop-centric styles similar to what Dark did? So I don't see how he's establishing a new ZvP paradigm. Also I doubt Blizzard will let that paradigm survive another balance patch.

I like Dark's spunk though.
ZAiNs
Profile Joined July 2010
United Kingdom6525 Posts
April 10 2016 02:02 GMT
#7
soO sunbae personally also feels that he’s not a part of the “Kong Line”.

LOL
RKC
Profile Joined June 2012
2848 Posts
April 10 2016 02:14 GMT
#8
Pity about the scheduling. I'm pretty sure he went all-in on ZvP training for a whole week. His ZvT and ZvZ suffered, and he was knocked out of GSL. Such a terrible luck not to even have one Protoss in his GSL group (or conversely, draw Solar in the SSL finals) - he would've had a better chance scraping out of the group.

His baneling drop plays are really amazing. I think it serves a dual purpose - catch an unprepared opponent off-guard and end the game early, or even if that fails, pressure and distract the opponent enough to macro up safely. A great all-round strategy.

Go Dark! Go SKT!
gg no re thx
Celepharn
Profile Joined July 2015
Mexico60 Posts
April 10 2016 02:20 GMT
#9
I remember the first game I saw him use corrupters and it was sooo crazy! It feels a bit unreal that he's come so far, but after all he is a monster! (in a good way)
I love marine, so cheap, I like.
therabit
Profile Joined August 2011
795 Posts
April 10 2016 02:36 GMT
#10
On April 10 2016 11:02 ZAiNs wrote:
Show nested quote +
soO sunbae personally also feels that he’s not a part of the “Kong Line”.

LOL

i see SoO is still in the denial stage lol
FrostedMiniWheats
Profile Joined August 2010
United States30730 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-04-10 03:17:41
April 10 2016 03:13 GMT
#11
On April 10 2016 10:55 ZigguratOfUr wrote:
Haven't Rogue and ByuL played drop-centric styles similar to what Dark did? So I don't see how he's establishing a new ZvP paradigm. Also I doubt Blizzard will let that paradigm survive another balance patch.

I like Dark's spunk though.


Not like that. From what I've seen they either go all-in or apply it as early game pressure and then abandon it. Dark dropped throughout the game like a Terran and centered his comp around lings and banelings. In fact, I think he even dropped banes on blink stalkers during an engagement in game 1.

I hope Blizzard doesn't kill it. This is the ZvP I've yearned for all these years. So much more entertaining than roach/hydra or SH/BL turtle. The overlord drop morph is perhaps the best change in LotV. If anything, fix the stupid nydus worm.
NesTea | Mvp | MC | Leenock | Losira | Gumiho | DRG | Taeja | Jinro | Stephano | Thorzain | Sen | Idra |Polt | Bomber | Symbol | Squirtle | Fantasy | Jaedong | Maru | sOs | Seed | ByuN | ByuL | Neeb| Scarlett | Rogue | IM forever
ZigguratOfUr
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
Iraq16955 Posts
April 10 2016 03:31 GMT
#12
On April 10 2016 12:13 FrostedMiniWheats wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2016 10:55 ZigguratOfUr wrote:
Haven't Rogue and ByuL played drop-centric styles similar to what Dark did? So I don't see how he's establishing a new ZvP paradigm. Also I doubt Blizzard will let that paradigm survive another balance patch.

I like Dark's spunk though.


Not like that. From what I've seen they either go all-in or apply it as early game pressure and then abandon it. Dark dropped throughout the game like a Terran and centered his comp around lings and banelings. In fact, I think he even dropped banes on blink stalkers during an engagement in game 1.

I hope Blizzard doesn't kill it. This is the ZvP I've yearned for all these years. So much more entertaining than roach/hydra or SH/BL turtle. The overlord drop morph is perhaps the best change in LotV. If anything, fix the stupid nydus worm.


The change they were considering in the latest community feedback was to move the tech requirement to lair, so I guess it could survive.
Ja.Y.
Profile Joined February 2015
United States253 Posts
April 10 2016 03:45 GMT
#13
BoxeR must be proud that his secret project of Dark has finally materialized into winning a championship. BoxeR sure does have an eye for talent! (MMA WILL RISE AGAIN)

'Grats to Dark and hope Stats doesn't get discouraged and keeps trying because he's bound to win his own championship soon~
MMA will reign supreme once again // MaSa is gawd
Ctesias
Profile Joined December 2012
4595 Posts
April 10 2016 05:20 GMT
#14
Well played Dark, and well deserved. Also thanks to Seeker for translating.

On April 10 2016 07:32 FrostedMiniWheats wrote:
Dark is kinda arrogant.

Can't say he hasn't earned it though.

Personally I think it's refreshing that not everyone is so humble in their interviews. Gets stale.

Flash | Mvp
fatalfury2014
Profile Joined April 2016
Chile5 Posts
April 10 2016 05:28 GMT
#15
new blood
Inflicted
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Australia18228 Posts
April 10 2016 05:50 GMT
#16
On April 10 2016 12:31 ZigguratOfUr wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2016 12:13 FrostedMiniWheats wrote:
On April 10 2016 10:55 ZigguratOfUr wrote:
Haven't Rogue and ByuL played drop-centric styles similar to what Dark did? So I don't see how he's establishing a new ZvP paradigm. Also I doubt Blizzard will let that paradigm survive another balance patch.

I like Dark's spunk though.


Not like that. From what I've seen they either go all-in or apply it as early game pressure and then abandon it. Dark dropped throughout the game like a Terran and centered his comp around lings and banelings. In fact, I think he even dropped banes on blink stalkers during an engagement in game 1.

I hope Blizzard doesn't kill it. This is the ZvP I've yearned for all these years. So much more entertaining than roach/hydra or SH/BL turtle. The overlord drop morph is perhaps the best change in LotV. If anything, fix the stupid nydus worm.


The change they were considering in the latest community feedback was to move the tech requirement to lair, so I guess it could survive.


Probably better for Dark since he always fails his first drop
Liquipedia"Expert"
Edpayasugo
Profile Joined April 2013
United Kingdom2223 Posts
April 10 2016 06:12 GMT
#17
Thanks
FlaSh MMA INnoVation FanTaSy MKP TY Ryung | soO Dark Rogue | HuK PartinG Stork State
AbouSV
Profile Joined October 2014
Germany1278 Posts
April 10 2016 09:21 GMT
#18
♥♥♥ Darkuuuuu ♥♥♥
Crocolisk Dundee
Profile Blog Joined October 2015
870 Posts
April 10 2016 09:23 GMT
#19
Thanks for not spoiling the winner's ID in the thread title, Seeker. I couldn't watch the grand finals live, but I watched the recording on eSportTV Global's YouTube channel after I read on TL that the tournament had concluded.
Stopped watching ESL content in 2022 when the company was acquired by Savvy Gaming Group. Also object to sponsorships by the U.S. Air Force. Thanks for the lively discussions about sportswashing. StarCraft II is not for me anymore.
WGT-Baal
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
France3560 Posts
April 10 2016 09:23 GMT
#20
Thanks Seeker!
Horang2 fan
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
16:00
#65
RotterdaM928
TaKeTV 328
TKL 325
IndyStarCraft 202
BRAT_OK 97
ZombieGrub59
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 928
TKL 325
IndyStarCraft 202
MaxPax 177
BRAT_OK 97
UpATreeSC 91
ZombieGrub59
JuggernautJason54
Nathanias 28
EmSc Tv 18
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 680
ggaemo 167
White-Ra 151
firebathero 82
Barracks 61
910 50
Killer 26
Shine 25
Trap 25
yabsab 7
Dota 2
qojqva3656
Counter-Strike
Fnx 792
Super Smash Bros
C9.Mang0174
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby9589
crisheroes1725
Liquid`Hasu1590
Trikslyr63
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi4389
summit1g3323
singsing1387
Beastyqt801
shahzam435
B2W.Neo354
KnowMe126
ArmadaUGS109
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream422
Other Games
BasetradeTV220
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 18
EmSc2Tv 18
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 176
• Reevou 2
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 20
• Azhi_Dahaki16
• FirePhoenix11
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade914
Other Games
• Shiphtur329
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
14h 35m
Afreeca Starleague
14h 35m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 4h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 15h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.