• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:57
CEST 16:57
KST 23:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8038 users

Announcing the starcraft mapmaking association

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
Meavis
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
Netherlands1300 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-09-02 17:44:39
September 02 2015 07:08 GMT
#1
[image loading]


      StarCraft Mapmaking Association, or SMA for short, is the first grouping of foreign mapmakers in a long time, consisting of both top tier as well as amateur mapmakers.

The organization’s goal is to establish a reliable center of communication between mapmakers, Blizzard, and the community, serving as a consolidated point to fill the void left by the disbandment of teams such as TPW, Galaxy, DF, and ESV.


Here are the members so far:

      Kantuva; creator of Foxtrot Labs, Echo, Ganymede, Kamala Park and Peninsula.

Hi, I’m Kantu also known as Uvantak, I started mapping back in the Wings Of Liberty Beta, but then had to step away, and finally coming back into the scene around late 2012. From there on I have continued to make maps aimed for the highest echelons of play, and trying to shape my map creation ideas into solid things that can be enjoyed by anyone and everyone.


      IeZaeL; creator of Coda, Neo Emerald Plaza, Sacred path, and Engines of War.

Started mapmaking from the bottom of 2013 now we here. Played a bit of bw when I was a child, so it has some influences into my map styles. I like to make innovative maps and stuff never done before.


      NegativeZero; creator of Terraform, Exosphere and Isomer.

I’m NegativeZero, I started SC2 mapmaking in 2012 after a year or two of making maps for BW. I tend to focus on fairly standard maps with a bit of BW influence, with the occasional experimental map for good measure.


      Meavis; organizer/amateur mapper, creator of Solaris Temple, Annihilation Station.

Started mapping in late 2013 and participating in the map community since mid 2014, has not gotten a map in proffesional play and nowadays has stopped mapping but still organizes things within the map community.


      TheTemplar; TL fanatic/amateur mapper.
Started casually mapping shortly after WoL release, slowly lost interest and started settling into more of an administrative role with the Map Jam in 2013 and helping with TLMC in 2015.


      Monitor; creator of Korhal Compound, Koprulu, and Mystic (2v2).

Hi. I started making WoL maps in 2009 for fun and have made maps off and on since then. My main accomplishment was getting Korhal Compound into ladder. I have judged TeamLiquid Map Contests and I was a long time organizer of Map of the Month, a TL-based mapmaking contest. I’m always glad to play a game of HotS/LotV or take a look at a new map.


      sTY_leZerG; amateur sc2 mapper, accomplished mapper in Broodwar at broodwarmaps.net, creator of Broodwar map MoonLight Shadow that gave birth to sc2 ladder map Nimbus by Icetoad & wrl.
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Hey, I started playing sc2 since the beginning of Wings of Liberty, now in 2015 I am currently working on my skills on sc2 map making.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With that we hope to make a better enviroment for maps in sc2, any questions are welcome.

[image loading]


[image loading]
"Not you."
OtherWorld
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
France17333 Posts
September 02 2015 07:54 GMT
#2
Great news !
Used Sigs - New Sigs - Cheap Sigs - Buy the Best Cheap Sig near You at www.cheapsigforsale.com
LoneYoShi
Profile Blog Joined June 2014
France1348 Posts
September 02 2015 08:13 GMT
#3
That is indeed a great news ! I hope that having an established organization will help you to talk with Blizz' and the commmunity :-)
Dav1oN
Profile Joined January 2012
Ukraine3164 Posts
September 02 2015 08:22 GMT
#4
Some ppl in this list I hate for some weird maps :D

On the other hand, that's a great idea to make such association, I hope u guys gonna make interesting and balanced maps in future all together, so there will be no whining at all.
In memory of Geoff "iNcontroL" Robinson 11.09.1985 - 21.07.2019 A tribute to incredible man, embodiment of joy, esports titan, starcraft community pillar all in one. You will always be remembered!
Jenia6109
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Russian Federation1613 Posts
September 02 2015 08:28 GMT
#5
I thought that Foxtrot Labs and Terraform were made by the same author (Uvantak)...
INnoVation TY Maru | Classic Stats Dear sOs Zest herO | Rogue Dark soO
Ragnarork
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
France9034 Posts
September 02 2015 08:55 GMT
#6
serving as a consolidated point to fill the void left by the disbandment of teams such as TPW, Galaxy, DF, and ESV


I took a big slap in the face as I read that (not that I didn't know, just.... ouch...)

Good luck with that! Especially for:

a reliable center of communication between mapmakers, Blizzard

LiquipediaWanderer
phoenixfeather95
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
665 Posts
September 02 2015 10:04 GMT
#7
Great initiative, best of luck!
@dbrisingr
TRaFFiC
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Canada1448 Posts
September 02 2015 11:10 GMT
#8
Looks good. Once LOTV is out, maps will be the main way to add spice to the game.
2v2, 1v1, Zerg, Terran http://www.twitch.tv/trafficsc2
Cascade
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Australia5405 Posts
September 02 2015 11:41 GMT
#9
Great! Hopefully this will lead to more great maps, and more fun gameplay for everyone.
Ovid
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
United Kingdom948 Posts
September 02 2015 11:52 GMT
#10
I hope there's better communication between mapmakers/blizzard.
I will make Yogg Saron priest work...
NeThZOR
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
South Africa7387 Posts
September 02 2015 12:38 GMT
#11
Super good initiative
SuperNova - 2015 | SKT1 fan for years | Dear, FlaSh, PartinG, Soulkey, Naniwa
FeyFey
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany10114 Posts
September 02 2015 13:06 GMT
#12
GL in advance with the LotV release ! good maps will be needed there !
deacon.frost
Profile Joined February 2013
Czech Republic12134 Posts
September 02 2015 13:50 GMT
#13
Hmm, I think this is a good place to ask a question: Was there any discussion with Blizzard about design of races and the implication it has on the layout of maps? E.g. ramp on 1 forcefield, wallable natural etc.

Thanks!

Also, I wish you success and girls and fame and moneyz!
I imagine France should be able to take this unless Lilbow is busy practicing for Starcraft III. | KadaverBB is my fairy ban mother.
[PkF] Wire
Profile Joined March 2013
France24239 Posts
September 02 2015 15:03 GMT
#14
Nice.
Sogetsu
Profile Joined July 2011
514 Posts
September 02 2015 15:52 GMT
#15
Congrats to all, specially to Kantuva!!
Raptor: "Es hora de salvar a los E-Sports..." http://i3.minus.com/ibtne3liprtByB.png
Cazimirbzh
Profile Joined February 2014
334 Posts
September 02 2015 15:59 GMT
#16
Wondeful news !! Amazing news !!
You are and always be the real developers of stracraft.

@deacon.frost
Was there any discussion with Blizzard about design of races and the implication it has on the layout of maps?

haha this is a good one^^
NonY
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
8751 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-09-02 16:29:02
September 02 2015 16:25 GMT
#17
What is your stance on 1v1 maps with four spawn locations?

I hate the chance involved in scouting, especially for PvP, though it's significant for many PvT and PvZ strategies as well. I also hate that many of the maps with four spawn locations are intended to be the plain macro map choices of the pool, even though it's not possible to get to that stage of the game without first dealing with the luck involved in scouting. As I see it, the apparent purpose of the map is undermined in the very first stages of every game played on it.

Personally I don't see the value in this map feature at all. I don't think players get satisfaction from winning because they got lucky with their scouting direction. They don't enjoy choosing their strategy from a limited selection, having crossed off any strategy that gets screwed by unlucky scouting (whether getting scouted first or scouting the opponent last). And similarly viewers aren't entertained by this facet of randomness. SC2 already forces players to take enough guesses in the dark. And while it's somewhat interesting to go into a map not knowing which way you'll have to play it, because you don't know which way the players will be oriented on it, I think map pools as big as 7 maps already give players enough opportunity to find different ways to play.

Do you like maps with four spawn locations? How frequently do you think they should appear in map pools? Am I correct in thinking that they're at cross purposes with macro maps? Do you think the current four spawn maps, Iron Fortress and Cactus Valley, would instantly be improved by making them three spawn or two spawn maps? If no, then why not?

Having complained so much about them, I still wouldn't mind a four spawn map making its way into the pool every once in a while. But I think the default should be none and I think a reasonable compromise is allowing 1-2 three spawn maps into every map pool.
"Fucking up is part of it. If you can't fail, you have to always win. And I don't think you can always win." Elliott Smith ---------- Yet no sudden rage darkened his face, and his eyes were calm as they studied her. Then he smiled. 'Witness.'
Uvantak
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Uruguay1381 Posts
September 02 2015 17:12 GMT
#18
On September 03 2015 01:25 NonY wrote:
What is your stance on 1v1 maps with four spawn locations?

I hate the chance involved in scouting, especially for PvP, though it's significant for many PvT and PvZ strategies as well. I also hate that many of the maps with four spawn locations are intended to be the plain macro map choices of the pool, even though it's not possible to get to that stage of the game without first dealing with the luck involved in scouting. As I see it, the apparent purpose of the map is undermined in the very first stages of every game played on it.

Personally I don't see the value in this map feature at all. I don't think players get satisfaction from winning because they got lucky with their scouting direction. They don't enjoy choosing their strategy from a limited selection, having crossed off any strategy that gets screwed by unlucky scouting (whether getting scouted first or scouting the opponent last). And similarly viewers aren't entertained by this facet of randomness. SC2 already forces players to take enough guesses in the dark. And while it's somewhat interesting to go into a map not knowing which way you'll have to play it, because you don't know which way the players will be oriented on it, I think map pools as big as 7 maps already give players enough opportunity to find different ways to play.

Do you like maps with four spawn locations? How frequently do you think they should appear in map pools? Am I correct in thinking that they're at cross purposes with macro maps? Do you think the current four spawn maps, Iron Fortress and Cactus Valley, would instantly be improved by making them three spawn or two spawn maps? If no, then why not?

Having complained so much about them, I still wouldn't mind a four spawn map making its way into the pool every once in a while. But I think the default should be none and I think a reasonable compromise is allowing 1-2 three spawn maps into every map pool.

The 4 spawn issue will only be aggravated because of the 12 worker start in LotV, but they do offer more variability on the map pool for spectators and casual players, and as such they should stay on the pool*.

At the end the problem boils down to how does Blizzard wants to handle the map pool, and if are they ready to make concessions regarding splitting the map pool into a competitive map pool and a more casual one, this also brings a whole array of discussion about splitting the player pool and what to do with those that like playing on the same maps they see progamers play on.

Things such as randomness do generate excitement even when they can be seen annoying or gimmicks, things such as the fog of war can be seen as a very big randomness factor compared to a game where there is no fog at all, scarabs themselves, we laugh at them by being unreliable, but the excitement factor is there.

The point of SMA is to have mapmakers have a say on Blizzard decisions regarding the map pool, which atm is something that does not happen. 4 player maps is only one of a myriad of other things that need to be discussed.

Sorry if my post seems like random thoughts, I slept very badly yesterday :/
@Kantuva | Mapmaker | KTVMaps.wordpress.com | Check my profile to see my TL map threads, and you can search for KTV in the Custom Games section to play them.
TelecoM
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States10864 Posts
September 02 2015 17:15 GMT
#19
Cool! Templar you are an amateur mapper now? GL people
AKA: TelecoM[WHITE] Protoss fighting
KtJ
Profile Joined October 2014
United States3514 Posts
September 02 2015 17:20 GMT
#20
Sounds awesome GL everyone!
"I thought I destroyed my CC but it seemed like the only thing I destroyed was Idra's mentality."
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
20:00
BamsPatch 1.0 Weekly #3
Liquipedia
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 414
ProTech139
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 33284
Bisu 3114
Shuttle 1800
Hyuk 1221
EffOrt 783
Mini 691
Larva 371
Soma 285
firebathero 251
ZerO 244
[ Show more ]
Zeus 116
Sexy 99
hero 96
Last 80
Hyun 51
Killer 40
Mong 38
ToSsGirL 37
PianO 33
Trap 33
Aegong 32
Pusan 32
Bale 27
Hm[arnc] 24
sorry 20
zelot 14
Rock 13
Sacsri 10
Terrorterran 10
JulyZerg 9
Noble 9
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Dota 2
Gorgc8122
qojqva1766
Dendi748
Counter-Strike
fl0m2251
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1333
crisheroes1034
Liquid`Hasu573
Lowko441
Other Games
singsing2201
B2W.Neo1336
Beastyqt533
Livibee219
Hui .208
Liquid`VortiX141
ArmadaUGS102
KnowMe102
Mew2King89
elazer75
CosmosSc2 22
ZerO(Twitch)17
Mlord0
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream57
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 45
• poizon28 12
• Adnapsc2 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 11
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8409
• WagamamaTV234
League of Legends
• Jankos1875
Other Games
• Shiphtur45
Upcoming Events
FEL
1h 3m
AI Arena Tournament
2h 3m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4h 3m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19h 3m
INu's Battles
21h 3m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 4h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 4h
Replay Cast
1d 9h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 19h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 20h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.