• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:38
CEST 00:38
KST 07:38
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9541 users

The Curious Case of soO's Macro Mechanics - Page 23

Forum Index > SC2 General
534 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 21 22 23 24 25 27 Next All
The_Red_Viper
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
19533 Posts
August 06 2015 19:43 GMT
#441
So you want to make sc2 into wc4?
Well that isn't even in the question for blizzard, they just want to cut macro mechanics.
So you do agree that by doing this nothing too important will change considering action and multitasking cause there won't be a huge redesign?
IU | Sohyang || There is no God and we are his prophets | For if ‘Thou mayest’—it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.” | Ignorance is the parent of fear |
mishimaBeef
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2259 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-08-06 19:47:57
August 06 2015 19:47 GMT
#442
I will agree to the idea that the multitasking demands of 'single player' macro boosters can be replaced by other actions demanding attention; actions that actually have an interaction component with the opponent.
Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
The_Red_Viper
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
19533 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-08-06 19:55:08
August 06 2015 19:53 GMT
#443
What kind of actions are we talking about?
IU | Sohyang || There is no God and we are his prophets | For if ‘Thou mayest’—it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.” | Ignorance is the parent of fear |
The_Red_Viper
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
19533 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-08-06 19:55:23
August 06 2015 19:54 GMT
#444
nvm
IU | Sohyang || There is no God and we are his prophets | For if ‘Thou mayest’—it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.” | Ignorance is the parent of fear |
mishimaBeef
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2259 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-08-06 20:01:06
August 06 2015 19:55 GMT
#445
Mule, chrono, inject - for the most part they are single player actions. Occasionally there is a direct interaction component, such as oops I dropped mule during a dt timing. But I want these multitasking demands replaced with something that necessarily has an interaction component (such as more harassment on the map OR I'm going down this strategic route instead of that one).

This shouldn't affect any notion of macro since the only difficulty in macro (assuming you know your builds/timings down pat) is multitasking. If anything this should make multitasking (and consequently macro) harder as you now have to play a 2 player read-react game (with surprises) instead of a 1 player rhythm game (with no surprises). Now we can truly appreciate those that dare to play a spread out macro game. Instead of a tight, I'm good at mini-rhythm game, macro game.
Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
The_Red_Viper
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
19533 Posts
August 06 2015 19:59 GMT
#446
Nah you didn't understand me, i meant what actions would we see more of if these macro mechanics would be cut?
You think there would be more engagements cause of it?
More drops?
I don't believe that there would be more action at all, cause the design of sc2 doesn't allow it in most cases.
IU | Sohyang || There is no God and we are his prophets | For if ‘Thou mayest’—it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.” | Ignorance is the parent of fear |
mishimaBeef
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2259 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-08-06 20:03:06
August 06 2015 20:01 GMT
#447
Then why does Archon mode have more action? Even 2 extra drops per game is an improvement mind you! I would rather watch that and see how both players handle it instead of watching two players sit in their base playing rhythm games by themselves.
Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
The_Red_Viper
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
19533 Posts
August 06 2015 20:08 GMT
#448
Because archon mode doubles the apm and more importantly it creates REAL multitasking cause there actually are two seperate guys controlling the game at once.
Cutting some macro mechanics won't give you double the apm.
I guess you wanna cut any apm required to macro alltogether then?

And even in archon mode you sometimes simply cannot do more cause sc2 simply doesn't allow it very well.
IU | Sohyang || There is no God and we are his prophets | For if ‘Thou mayest’—it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.” | Ignorance is the parent of fear |
mishimaBeef
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2259 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-08-06 20:15:13
August 06 2015 20:10 GMT
#449
Why fixate on the double factor? If even 5% of your APM is freed up to handle other tasks that is okay. Remember, 2 drops increase per game is an improvement. Unless, you're from the camp that enjoys single player rhythm games defining your macro.

And I don't buy the argument that 'sc2 doesn't allow it'. This is easily refuted by observing the evolution of strategy and tactics throughout SC2. I've been around wince WoL beta and it has been a slow but forward moving process - players will find the tactical shots available without sacrificing solid play.
Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
LaLuSh
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
Sweden2358 Posts
August 06 2015 20:15 GMT
#450
I can pretty much guarantee the koreans complained about micro being too frantic when they said "LotV is too hard". The remax episode with the people who went to Blizzard's summit said as much.

Leave it to Blizzard to freely interpret micro as macro.
The_Red_Viper
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
19533 Posts
August 06 2015 20:25 GMT
#451
Why i fixate on you giving an example which theoretically improves your apm by 100% to "prove" that cutting macro mechanics will lead to more action?
I don't know, maybe cause it's a ridiculous example?

Archon mode doesn't double the action on the map, why should a tiny increase in effective "battle" apm increase action at all then?
Where are these 2 drops coming from?


It's pretty simple if you ask me. If we had a game where you had to expand all over the map very fast, thus forcing the players to defend these expansions, then yes i would also enjoy a game where every single apm you have is used for actual micro management of your units.
Sc2 isn't designed like that though, you have a very limited amount of area to defend most of the time.
So no, the apm i now use to inject my hatcheries won't suddenly be used to harass with my zerglings, cause well i simply cannot do it cause there is a wall and units at the natural base.

I simply don't see how such a small apm change would create better gameplay with the current version of sc2.
But hey maybe i am completely biased cause i still think that there actually should be MORE mechanical checks in sc2 regarding macro + more options to micro (with more potential reward)
IU | Sohyang || There is no God and we are his prophets | For if ‘Thou mayest’—it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.” | Ignorance is the parent of fear |
Little-Chimp
Profile Joined February 2008
Canada951 Posts
August 06 2015 20:34 GMT
#452
The more I think about it the more I think the macro boosters should be nerfed. Not allowing mass probes or units to be chrono'd out or mass larva or especially those god damn mules would actually force players to macro better.

That being said the macro mechanics are interesting and should still be in the game, just make them give a less dramatic effect on the game (ie less chrono energy, larva etc)
nTzzzz
Profile Joined November 2010
France30 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-08-07 03:21:27
August 06 2015 20:47 GMT
#453
On August 07 2015 04:02 LaLuSh wrote:
Yes nTzzz, I too want to play in Barcelona FC alongside Lionel Messi. But it's so unfair that I have to train 12 hours a day for years repeating mindless exercises over and over in order to stand a chance at being a superstar in a sport. Maybe I should write a letter to the game designers of football and complain?

I cannot admire the best players in the world because of this. That they train hours EVERY day makes me think less of them. The fact that the main predictive factors for being awesome at football are being young and having worked your ass off for years since your youth, repeating the same mindless tasks over; that actually makes me lose my respect for the stars.

If only someone could find the magical balance, the perfect relationship, between time spent and mastery. Surely if one practices something for one hour a day they should be able to execute it perfectly? Now that would be my ideal sport or art form.

That's why I personally buy tickets to average-piano-player#159286's concertos instead of supporting the mindless practice robots that make up the professional pianists establishment. It's a shame that I'm alone in attending these concerts. The general public lack the appreciation for true musicality. They cannot see beyond the mistakes like I can. If only I could redesign the piano so everybody could execute every piece. That way we could decide which musician truly is the most musical and artistic. In my opinion music should be about expression, not technique. Technique should not be so overwhelming that it accounts for 90% of your skill.


So much distortion of what I am saying I don't know where to start. How about having a real, logic based discussion about what's important to each of us in SC2 and then seeing how those things are affected by the proposed change and the other alternatives we can come up with?

First you're working under the assumption that I want to be part of the greats and I have absolutely no interest in that. What I want is:

1) to get more enjoyment out of the game. For me that requires more strategy and less repetitive stuff.

2) to be able to be in awe of the top players. For me that requires that the pro level skillset include more strategy. I'm not saying I think less of them because they've had to practise mindless actions 12 hours a day for years, I'm saying I need something else on top of that: a lot of thinking.

3) that players on all levels are able to enjoy the strategic aspects of SC2. Notice that it doesn't necessarily require reducing the skill ceiling (since I'm starting to understand a lot of you mostly care about the game being insanely difficult mechanically). We could just make missing things like injects less punishing so that focusing on something else than macro with a low APM is actually viable. As a bonus, it would make the game less frustrating for lower level players, all for the greater success of SC2. I myself would really enjoy playing again with my friends who have all quit for that very reason.

The comparison with soccer doesn't really work. Most importantly the logic behind it is flawed because we couldn't make football less technical even if we wanted to, whereas changes to macro boosters are easy to implement. Another reason is that the fact I don't find football very strategic is precisely why I don't watch it. SC2 is supposed to be a strategy game and that's a big part of why I like it. And as I said, I don't think less of players because they've had to work their ass off, I just need something else on top of that.

Same flawed reasoning for piano. If we had a way to make it less difficult for pianists to deliver great music, wouldn't we want to do it? Or would you instantly think piano music is for the plebs and totally sucks if it gets easier? The reason I like piano is not because I know it's incredibly difficult but because the music is beautiful. It just happens to be very difficult. You also conveniently ignore the fact that it takes a great deal of other things than technical skills to be a great pianist. I would know, my dad happens to be one and to conduct orchestras for a living. Comparatively to other pianists, Glenn Gould was pretty bad technically, what made him great is he was a thinker and had an artistic vision.

Please, no more bad comparisons. You're better than this.
mishimaBeef
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2259 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-08-06 20:59:47
August 06 2015 20:55 GMT
#454
On August 07 2015 05:25 The_Red_Viper wrote:
Why i fixate on you giving an example which theoretically improves your apm by 100% to "prove" that cutting macro mechanics will lead to more action?
I don't know, maybe cause it's a ridiculous example?

Archon mode doesn't double the action on the map, why should a tiny increase in effective "battle" apm increase action at all then?
Where are these 2 drops coming from?


It's pretty simple if you ask me. If we had a game where you had to expand all over the map very fast, thus forcing the players to defend these expansions, then yes i would also enjoy a game where every single apm you have is used for actual micro management of your units.
Sc2 isn't designed like that though, you have a very limited amount of area to defend most of the time.
So no, the apm i now use to inject my hatcheries won't suddenly be used to harass with my zerglings, cause well i simply cannot do it cause there is a wall and units at the natural base.

I simply don't see how such a small apm change would create better gameplay with the current version of sc2.
But hey maybe i am completely biased cause i still think that there actually should be MORE mechanical checks in sc2 regarding macro + more options to micro (with more potential reward)


I'm not *proving* anything, merely poking holes in your argument:

On August 07 2015 04:59 The_Red_Viper wrote:
I don't believe that there would be more action at all, cause the design of sc2 doesn't allow it in most cases.


Also LotV has more of this:

On August 07 2015 05:25 The_Red_Viper wrote:
If we had a game where you had to expand all over the map very fast, thus forcing the players to defend these expansions...


And less of this:

On August 07 2015 05:25 The_Red_Viper wrote:
you have a very limited amount of area to defend most of the time
Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Hider
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Denmark9448 Posts
August 06 2015 21:09 GMT
#455
Yes, I frequently get matched up against terrans who forget to build scvs for 30 seconds when something happens on the map.


I would like to see a replays of this happening (in the phase of the game where worker count is very relevant).
MaximilianKohler
Profile Joined August 2011
122 Posts
August 06 2015 21:17 GMT
#456
I disagree with OP completely.

Broodwar, Starcraft Improved, and Starbow all have nerfed macro mechanics. And none of the accusations you made in OP occur in these games. In fact, it's pretty much the opposite of what you suggest.

The fact that you don't think it's important for a game to be fun to play pretty much shows how asinine your whole argument is.

It would be extremely easy to make an extremely hard game that's much harder than SC2. But probably no one would play it.
masters zerg
mishimaBeef
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2259 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-08-06 22:24:43
August 06 2015 22:17 GMT
#457
On August 07 2015 04:43 The_Red_Viper wrote:
So you want to make sc2 into wc4?
Well that isn't even in the question for blizzard, they just want to cut macro mechanics.
So you do agree that by doing this nothing too important will change considering action and multitasking cause there won't be a huge redesign?


No I did not say they level up... heck it makes sense for each race to have a behind-enemy-lines harassing commander. Then we will see who can multitask (in an interactive way).

Yeah I see it now... they start in a locked state, and after X minutes they unlock. Don't ask me for more stats, figure it out.

But no... 'hero units' have no place in starcraft. And macro has to be a single player rhythm game in your base, long live brood war I guess. I enjoyed the rhythm of macro in brood war, click z, click z click z, click d click d click d w/e yeah it was fun, it was rhythmic. But... I want to see the height of high intensity, strategic starcraft. APM is finite. I know it's nice to talk about holding down the a-button, but you can't do even that when the banelings roll in.
Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Little-Chimp
Profile Joined February 2008
Canada951 Posts
August 06 2015 22:35 GMT
#458
On August 07 2015 07:17 mishimaBeef wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 07 2015 04:43 The_Red_Viper wrote:
So you want to make sc2 into wc4?
Well that isn't even in the question for blizzard, they just want to cut macro mechanics.
So you do agree that by doing this nothing too important will change considering action and multitasking cause there won't be a huge redesign?


No I did not say they level up... heck it makes sense for each race to have a behind-enemy-lines harassing commander. Then we will see who can multitask (in an interactive way).

Yeah I see it now... they start in a locked state, and after X minutes they unlock. Don't ask me for more stats, figure it out.

But no... 'hero units' have no place in starcraft. And macro has to be a single player rhythm game in your base, long live brood war I guess. I enjoyed the rhythm of macro in brood war, click z, click z click z, click d click d click d w/e yeah it was fun, it was rhythmic. But... I want to see the height of high intensity, strategic starcraft. APM is finite. I know it's nice to talk about holding down the a-button, but you can't do even that when the banelings roll in.


No. Go ask for WC4 instead
mishimaBeef
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2259 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-08-06 23:02:10
August 06 2015 22:38 GMT
#459
L2I (learn 2 innovate)

There is something good in my post, I'm sorry you missed it (apparently you don't want high intensity strategic starcraft as long as it's mechanically hard and the generals are walking around with a hundred pound ball chained to their leg).

---

For emphasis I will repeat the best part (with a slight edit):

I want to see the height of high intensity, strategic starcraft. APM is finite. I know it's nice to talk about how holding down the a-button is so easy, but you can't do even that when the banelings roll in.

---

Also, in case people in this thread aren't looking at the other one, I think this is a good post summarizing some key considerations as to why macro booster cut may be a good thing (less luck = more skill):

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/legacy-of-the-void/491742-new-macro-good?page=5#88
Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
nTzzzz
Profile Joined November 2010
France30 Posts
August 06 2015 23:00 GMT
#460
On August 07 2015 06:09 Hider wrote:
Show nested quote +
Yes, I frequently get matched up against terrans who forget to build scvs for 30 seconds when something happens on the map.


I would like to see a replays of this happening (in the phase of the game where worker count is very relevant).


600 average unspent ressources and you don't think I (or my opponents) ever miss scv rounds? I'm not saying ANYTIME something happens they forget scvs, I'm saying it happens.

Even pros sometimes do. I'm not going to spend time watching my own crappy replays but you can watch game 1 of Happy vs Heromarine from today, which you can find here (starts at 2h25)
http://www.twitch.tv/esl_sc2/v/9892484

Happy stops producing scvs for no reason (other than reaper harass) between:
4:14 and 4:21
4:37 and 4:48
5:57 and 6:06

That's already 1.5 scv behind on bad macro alone, all on one CC and less than 30 supply. Then on 2 CCs he's supply blocked at 38 supply from 6:44 to 7:07 and misses on two more scvs.

That's 3.5 scvs behind at 38 supply.

Should I go on?
Prev 1 21 22 23 24 25 27 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O166
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason109
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 1065
ZZZero.O 160
Bale 21
ajuk12(nOOB) 10
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm106
League of Legends
Doublelift5084
JimRising 651
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5782
Other Games
summit1g8761
FrodaN3188
KnowMe213
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1225
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream29
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie971
• Shiphtur188
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
22m
Afreeca Starleague
11h 22m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
12h 22m
Monday Night Weeklies
17h 22m
Replay Cast
1d
Afreeca Starleague
1d 11h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 12h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.