• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:05
CEST 05:05
KST 12:05
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6809 users

puCK might be prohibited from WCS by state law - Page 6

Forum Index > SC2 General
163 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
Please stop bringing country or state-bashing into this discussion.
goiflin
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada1218 Posts
February 12 2015 17:53 GMT
#101
On February 13 2015 02:46 Djzapz wrote:
It's unfortunate because those laws are not behaving the way they were designed to... They can safely be ignored, I'd argue

I'm from Quebec and that law is annoying. I can't win canadian raffles over $100. I recently won $50 though so that's cool.


Yeah, it's really nasty. From what I remember when I lived there, there's some sort of clause that the organizer of any event that's considered "gambling" has to pay some government ministry a certain % of the winnings or profit.

At least it doesn't take long to claim you're a resident of another province, so desrow could get out of that pretty easily.
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-02-12 17:58:58
February 12 2015 17:57 GMT
#102
On February 13 2015 02:53 goiflin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 13 2015 02:46 Djzapz wrote:
It's unfortunate because those laws are not behaving the way they were designed to... They can safely be ignored, I'd argue

I'm from Quebec and that law is annoying. I can't win canadian raffles over $100. I recently won $50 though so that's cool.


Yeah, it's really nasty. From what I remember when I lived there, there's some sort of clause that the organizer of any event that's considered "gambling" has to pay some government ministry a certain % of the winnings or profit.

At least it doesn't take long to claim you're a resident of another province, so desrow could get out of that pretty easily.

It's weird to me that where I live would change which prizes I can get in another country. I mean if I go to the US and I win a prize yet, what right does Quebec have to fuck with me.
+ Show Spoiler +


I mean if I go to Amsterdam, Quebec doesn't follow me around slapping my hand saying NO YOU DON'T DO THAT, NO YOU DON'T SQUEEZE THAT. Also we want you to pay sales taxes on shit you buy overseas. NO! I'm in another place, I live by this other set of rules.
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
paxconsciente
Profile Joined January 2015
Belgium91 Posts
February 12 2015 18:03 GMT
#103
This law is silly and shouldn't still be used. Clearly it is some sort of prohibition style gambling law meant to keep all the gamblers (mmm, money!) in North Dakota. I mean is this serious? Surely this type of BS can't still be happening in 2015, can it?
So let me get this straight, if Puck goes and competes in a Starcraft tournament in another state or even canada or something, he can't legally obtain the money because he live in North Dakota? please tell me i'm totally misunderstanding this, because i'd rather be called a dumbass because i don't understand than actually be faced with the reality that this type of thing actually exists in the most powerful country in the world.

The best way to predict the future is to create it - Peter Drucker. <3 so0,ret,JD,Happy,Innovation,Snute
dUTtrOACh
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada2339 Posts
February 12 2015 18:08 GMT
#104
I don't get it.

Surely, there are professional athletes and whatnot coming out of North Dakota (certainly, it's not a state that's renowned for producing many legendary athletes, but I'm sure there are some).

In what way does participating in a tournament of this nature constitute a violation of this law, anyway? People can bet on virtually anything with an uncertain outcome (up to and including a presidential election). As long as Puck isn't directly involved in any gambling activity or match-fixing, he should have no more problem playing SC2 than a local high-school kid would have playing football, tennis, etc.
twitch.tv/duttroach
mvdunecats
Profile Joined December 2011
United States102 Posts
February 12 2015 18:09 GMT
#105
Remember how much clamoring there was to put in region locks based on residency? And now, we have new rules in the handbook clarifying how residency affects participation. Imagine that.

Be careful what you ask for.
MstrJinbo
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1251 Posts
February 12 2015 18:14 GMT
#106
On February 13 2015 03:08 dUTtrOACh wrote:
I don't get it.

Surely, there are professional athletes and whatnot coming out of North Dakota (certainly, it's not a state that's renowned for producing many legendary athletes, but I'm sure there are some).

In what way does participating in a tournament of this nature constitute a violation of this law, anyway? People can bet on virtually anything with an uncertain outcome (up to and including a presidential election). As long as Puck isn't directly involved in any gambling activity or match-fixing, he should have no more problem playing SC2 than a local high-school kid would have playing football, tennis, etc.


Don't know how things are done in Canada(not relevant in anycase), but in the United states localities decide what is legal as far as gambling is concerned. Which is why there is a problem with puck being a resident of North dakota
ThomasjServo
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
15244 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-02-12 18:15:37
February 12 2015 18:15 GMT
#107
On February 13 2015 03:09 mvdunecats wrote:
Remember how much clamoring there was to put in region locks based on residency? And now, we have new rules in the handbook clarifying how residency affects participation. Imagine that.

Be careful what you ask for.

This isn't to do with region locks in the least, this is to do with Blizzard's/Activitions legal team identifying local legislation that could cause issues for their company should they pay out money to Puck. Occam's razer, no prize money to players residing in ND.
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
February 12 2015 18:16 GMT
#108
On February 13 2015 03:14 MstrJinbo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 13 2015 03:08 dUTtrOACh wrote:
I don't get it.

Surely, there are professional athletes and whatnot coming out of North Dakota (certainly, it's not a state that's renowned for producing many legendary athletes, but I'm sure there are some).

In what way does participating in a tournament of this nature constitute a violation of this law, anyway? People can bet on virtually anything with an uncertain outcome (up to and including a presidential election). As long as Puck isn't directly involved in any gambling activity or match-fixing, he should have no more problem playing SC2 than a local high-school kid would have playing football, tennis, etc.


Don't know how things are done in Canada(not relevant in anycase)

Harsh, bro

Gambling laws are handled by the provinces.
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
ThomasjServo
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
15244 Posts
February 12 2015 18:18 GMT
#109
On February 13 2015 03:16 Djzapz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 13 2015 03:14 MstrJinbo wrote:
On February 13 2015 03:08 dUTtrOACh wrote:
I don't get it.

Surely, there are professional athletes and whatnot coming out of North Dakota (certainly, it's not a state that's renowned for producing many legendary athletes, but I'm sure there are some).

In what way does participating in a tournament of this nature constitute a violation of this law, anyway? People can bet on virtually anything with an uncertain outcome (up to and including a presidential election). As long as Puck isn't directly involved in any gambling activity or match-fixing, he should have no more problem playing SC2 than a local high-school kid would have playing football, tennis, etc.


Don't know how things are done in Canada(not relevant in anycase)

Harsh, bro

Gambling laws are handled by the provinces.

Honest question, does Canada have a place similar to Las Vegas that I've never heard of?
MstrJinbo
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1251 Posts
February 12 2015 18:20 GMT
#110
On February 13 2015 03:16 Djzapz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 13 2015 03:14 MstrJinbo wrote:
On February 13 2015 03:08 dUTtrOACh wrote:
I don't get it.

Surely, there are professional athletes and whatnot coming out of North Dakota (certainly, it's not a state that's renowned for producing many legendary athletes, but I'm sure there are some).

In what way does participating in a tournament of this nature constitute a violation of this law, anyway? People can bet on virtually anything with an uncertain outcome (up to and including a presidential election). As long as Puck isn't directly involved in any gambling activity or match-fixing, he should have no more problem playing SC2 than a local high-school kid would have playing football, tennis, etc.


Don't know how things are done in Canada(not relevant in anycase)

Harsh, bro

Gambling laws are handled by the provinces.


I honestly really don't know. I've never gambled in Canada... Well not yet at least.
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
February 12 2015 18:30 GMT
#111
On February 13 2015 03:18 ThomasjServo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 13 2015 03:16 Djzapz wrote:
On February 13 2015 03:14 MstrJinbo wrote:
On February 13 2015 03:08 dUTtrOACh wrote:
I don't get it.

Surely, there are professional athletes and whatnot coming out of North Dakota (certainly, it's not a state that's renowned for producing many legendary athletes, but I'm sure there are some).

In what way does participating in a tournament of this nature constitute a violation of this law, anyway? People can bet on virtually anything with an uncertain outcome (up to and including a presidential election). As long as Puck isn't directly involved in any gambling activity or match-fixing, he should have no more problem playing SC2 than a local high-school kid would have playing football, tennis, etc.


Don't know how things are done in Canada(not relevant in anycase)

Harsh, bro

Gambling laws are handled by the provinces.

Honest question, does Canada have a place similar to Las Vegas that I've never heard of?

Uh, I'm not aware of anything like that. I know that Niagara Falls has some gambling and stuff. But it hardly compares, really. Montreal has a fairly big casino. But nothing huge and shiny and as lively at night as Las Vegas.
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
ThomasjServo
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
15244 Posts
February 12 2015 18:37 GMT
#112
On February 13 2015 03:30 Djzapz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 13 2015 03:18 ThomasjServo wrote:
On February 13 2015 03:16 Djzapz wrote:
On February 13 2015 03:14 MstrJinbo wrote:
On February 13 2015 03:08 dUTtrOACh wrote:
I don't get it.

Surely, there are professional athletes and whatnot coming out of North Dakota (certainly, it's not a state that's renowned for producing many legendary athletes, but I'm sure there are some).

In what way does participating in a tournament of this nature constitute a violation of this law, anyway? People can bet on virtually anything with an uncertain outcome (up to and including a presidential election). As long as Puck isn't directly involved in any gambling activity or match-fixing, he should have no more problem playing SC2 than a local high-school kid would have playing football, tennis, etc.


Don't know how things are done in Canada(not relevant in anycase)

Harsh, bro

Gambling laws are handled by the provinces.

Honest question, does Canada have a place similar to Las Vegas that I've never heard of?

Uh, I'm not aware of anything like that. I know that Niagara Falls has some gambling and stuff. But it hardly compares, really. Montreal has a fairly big casino. But nothing huge and shiny and as lively at night as Las Vegas.

I was just thinking about it, because of how strong the gambling lobby is in the US, even within states themselves. Las Vegas for example Sheldon Adelson and Las Vegas money is at least in part responsible for what killed online poker in the US (for real money that is) an example from Minnesota with local gambling influences, was that a local casino run by a Sioux tribe struck a deal with the local horse track to pad racing purses (the pay out to farms that raise racing horses and what have you) to keep slot machines out of the horse track.


http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/156981555.html

It gets messy pretty quickly.
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
February 12 2015 18:48 GMT
#113
Heh money can move mountains. And it has
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
Ottoman042
Profile Joined November 2012
United States35 Posts
February 12 2015 18:55 GMT
#114
Yes this is idiotic, probably just an outdated law that needs to be reviewed. dude don't reminded me that online poker is a scam, that's why they banned it, how the hell does ppl get AA, KK, 1010, and flop is A, K, J, 10, 2, well short story I lost with KK, but how the hell flopping a set is 1/7.5, getting pocket pair is 1/221. how that is that not a scam. so I leave that online betting scam with my must unlucky hand ever hitting odds that are near idiotic
rafaliusz
Profile Joined December 2009
Poland482 Posts
February 12 2015 19:02 GMT
#115
This isn't about Blizzard's business model not being from this decade but rather that state's law being from a several decades ago, politicians trating people as if they were their property.
Cheren
Profile Blog Joined September 2013
United States2911 Posts
February 12 2015 19:05 GMT
#116
On February 13 2015 03:16 Djzapz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 13 2015 03:14 MstrJinbo wrote:
On February 13 2015 03:08 dUTtrOACh wrote:
I don't get it.

Surely, there are professional athletes and whatnot coming out of North Dakota (certainly, it's not a state that's renowned for producing many legendary athletes, but I'm sure there are some).

In what way does participating in a tournament of this nature constitute a violation of this law, anyway? People can bet on virtually anything with an uncertain outcome (up to and including a presidential election). As long as Puck isn't directly involved in any gambling activity or match-fixing, he should have no more problem playing SC2 than a local high-school kid would have playing football, tennis, etc.


Don't know how things are done in Canada(not relevant in anycase)

Harsh, bro

Gambling laws are handled by the provinces.


From the OP it looks like the situation for Quebec is similar to puck's.
oBlade
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States6549 Posts
February 12 2015 19:06 GMT
#117
On February 13 2015 03:55 Ottoman042 wrote:
Yes this is idiotic, probably just an outdated law that needs to be reviewed. dude don't reminded me that online poker is a scam, that's why they banned it, how the hell does ppl get AA, KK, 1010, and flop is A, K, J, 10, 2, well short story I lost with KK, but how the hell flopping a set is 1/7.5, getting pocket pair is 1/221. how that is that not a scam. so I leave that online betting scam with my must unlucky hand ever hitting odds that are near idiotic

Those odds are the same in live poker though.
"I read it. You know how to read, you ignorant fuck?" - Andy Dufresne
Doodsmack
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7224 Posts
February 12 2015 19:19 GMT
#118
You really should leave the person's opinion about SC2's business model out of your quote of the relevant North Dakota law lol.
paxconsciente
Profile Joined January 2015
Belgium91 Posts
February 12 2015 19:27 GMT
#119
On February 13 2015 04:06 oBlade wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 13 2015 03:55 Ottoman042 wrote:
Yes this is idiotic, probably just an outdated law that needs to be reviewed. dude don't reminded me that online poker is a scam, that's why they banned it, how the hell does ppl get AA, KK, 1010, and flop is A, K, J, 10, 2, well short story I lost with KK, but how the hell flopping a set is 1/7.5, getting pocket pair is 1/221. how that is that not a scam. so I leave that online betting scam with my must unlucky hand ever hitting odds that are near idiotic

Those odds are the same in live poker though.



you would have to play both quite extensively to understand where he's coming from. I don't want to start an argument, just asking you to understand where he's coming from first before you do. I have actually never lost in live poker by baiting bluffs with pocket aces (maybe like once or twice and max) and i've been playing for a decade, online that is asking to be broke it happens almost every single time..
The best way to predict the future is to create it - Peter Drucker. <3 so0,ret,JD,Happy,Innovation,Snute
Creager
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany1962 Posts
February 12 2015 19:27 GMT
#120
Amurrica, fuck yeah!
... einmal mit Profis spielen!
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 55m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 219
ProTech143
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 17204
Rain 1539
GuemChi 577
NaDa 23
Bale 17
sSak 14
Dota 2
monkeys_forever469
NeuroSwarm209
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
summit1g7339
taco 580
minikerr42
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1075
Mew2King99
Other Games
JimRising 612
WinterStarcraft573
C9.Mang0177
ViBE110
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1015
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream42
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 171
• davetesta29
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo482
• Stunt300
Other Games
• Scarra883
• Shiphtur504
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
6h 55m
INu's Battles
7h 55m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
9h 55m
OSC
19h 10m
Replay Cast
19h 55m
OSC
1d 19h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.