• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:39
CEST 14:39
KST 21:39
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8721 users

To KeSPA or not to KeSPA? DRG and Trap talk about their ch…

Forum Index > SC2 General
89 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
TL.net ESPORTS
Profile Joined July 2011
4 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-09-25 08:35:25
September 25 2014 07:35 GMT
#1
The KeSPA player exodus has been one of the biggest stories of the off-season. At the same time, a few players have gone against the current and returned to KeSPA.

At Red Bull Battle Grounds, TeamLiquid had a chance to talk to (Z)DongRaeGu and (P)JinAir_Trap, two players who have decided to take their careers in wildly different directions.


(Z)DongRaeGu: "If you only chase money, you could lose your passion, your mentality, everything."



This interview was conducted in a mix of English and Korean. The following transcript has been edited and condensed.

TeamLiquid: How do you feel about your results here at Red Bull Washington? Disappointed?

DongRaeGu: Not a lot – I didn't practice so much for Red Bull Battle Grounds, because I was focusing on GSL. So I didn't have high expectations in terms of my results.

How's the team search going? You've been teamless for a bit.

Some offers came, but... I just want to see how the WCS system changes – the region lock and anything else. I'm just waiting to see the situation – I could go anywhere.

Foreign teams? Or KeSPA teams?

I prefer foreign teams, but also I just don't want to go to KeSPA teams.

Why not?

It's so hard when someone else is forcing you to play the game. So I don't want to join a KeSPA team.

When you were with team MVP, was it a really free environment?

No one forced me to play the game when I was with MVP – I was really free to play the game.

But you practiced a lot, still? [DRG understood this as "do you still practice a lot now?"]

Hmmm, I think so, better than when I was in MVP.

If the new WCS system works out in a way that you could get a visa to play in Europe or America, would you rather play in those regions than the GSL?

For me to get a visa and live abroad, it seems like it would be kind of iffy. Starting with the practice environment, it doesn't seem like practice would go well living in North America.

Playing in WCS Korea and playing foreign tournaments at the same time, I think that would be the best direction for me.

A lot of players are leaving KeSPA teams and looking for foreign teams. The foreign SC2 scene isn't in the best situation right now, so what do you think of their choices?

I agree 100% with their opinion to get out of KeSPA. Because, it's so fun to play in overseas tournaments and communicate with foreign fans and do streaming. It's more motivating to be a progamer.

Isn't the money difference pretty big?

While KeSPA teams would give you a lot of money, it's like PartinG said in other interviews: money isn't everything. If you only chase money, you could lose your passion, your mentality, everything.

I think it's best to just do what you like. Money, if you prefer the money then there's nothing wrong with going with KeSPA.

You've been a progamer for a while. Did you ever think that you wanted to join a KeSPA team?

There was a time when I considered it, and at one time I was even prepared to leave my team to join a KeSPA team. But honestly, I kind of – they call it the "chicken coop" system – I wasn't confident at all that I could handle being forced to play in such a strict way. So I gave it some thought but I don't think it went any further than that. In the end I thought my current situation was good.

What do you think of players like INnoVation who are conversely returning to KeSPA teams?

It turns out there are some players who prefer it when someone else is forcefully making them practice. Some players need that to focus more and practice and produce good results. That's just stuff you do according to your own style, so I can't say anything about it.

In the foreign community, a lot of people say certain players would do well if they returned to a KeSPA team. Do you agree?

I definitely think that there are some players who are optimized for a KeSPA environment.

Players like Solar have said before, that players like me or INnoVation would definitely get better results if we were forced to train under a KeSPA environment. So that is something people say.

Finally, anything you'd like to say to the fans?

I'm so sorry to my fans about my results in GSL and Red bull. But I will stream more often and practice a lot, and find a good team. I'll do my best in 2015, I hope so. I'll see you then!



(P)Trap: "I think I have limitations if I practice alone."

[image loading]


TeamLiquid: How do you feel coming abroad again?

Trap: From the first time I stepped onto the stage, hearing the cheers of the fans, the audience, I felt once again that things are different here than in Korea.

You left IM and were teamless for a while before joining Jin Air. Did you look for a foreign team during that time?

I didn't look for one that intensively – I did ask around a bit. There wasn't anything that I really liked, and I ended up changing my mind midway. So I ended up coming to Jin Air while looking for a Korean team.

Right now, KeSPA players are leaving their teams and looking for foreign teams. What's the reason you were looking for a KeSPA team?

Me, I'm kind of... I think I have limitations if I practice alone. That, and I wanted to be the best in Korea, so I came to join a KeSPA team.

How much time did you spend at the Jin Air house before you came to Red Bull?

I entered the house about three days before leaving for Red Bull, so I practiced a bit before I came.

Any time to get to know your teammates?

sOs I sort of knew before – my new teammates are all nice, and they're people I've seen around before, so I'm getting to know them.

You said in another interview that you hoped to learn from sOs. You actually beat him twice at Red Bull Battle Grounds. What do you think about that?

[The briefest of smirks] In the case of PvP, it's common for things like your day to day condition, mind games, etc. directly decide who wins. So, I think I was just ahead in that regard in this tournament.

So who's better normally?

[Laughs] It hasn't been so long since I entered the team, so I don't really know... but if you look at sOs' broadcast games he's very good, and he's accomplished a lot in his career. He's someone I respect a lot.

You seemed to be hitting your stride when you won MLG Anaheim. What did you think of your play in the months following that big win?

There weren't many tournaments for me after MLG, so my skill did go down some. Still, preparing for this tournament, I was able to bring my level back up to some degree. There's WECG Korean prelims waiting for me back at home, so I'll have to prepare hard for that.

Overall, how do you rate your performance this tournament?

I think I played well in the quarters, but I have a lot of regrets about my play in the semis and 3rd place match.

Terran seemed very strong for a couple of months, but looking at recent results like the early rounds of WECG prelims, Protoss appear to be coming up again. What do you think about the state of balance now?

Terran got a lot better after the widow mine patch and the introduction of the new ladder maps, and I had a hard time practicing. Protoss players are currently adapting, so I think it's pretty even now.

Do you have any particular thoughts on the WCS 2015 changes? How about the idea to give WCS points for Proleague?

The Korean region is over-saturated, so there's some disadvantages to Korean players. I think giving points for Proleague is a good idea – it's tough to compete in foreign tournaments when you're playing in Proleague. I'm not sure how exactly the points will be given out, but I'm very positive about the idea. The WCS system needs to be overhauled, but it's definitely a very difficult thing to do.

Any predictions for the WCS Grand Finals?

[Laughs] Well, since I'm out of the running, I don't really know who's playing.

Any final comments or words?

I haven't been to many foreign tournaments, but each time I compete in one I feel like I gain new motivation. After I go back to Korea, I'll do my best to perform well in upcoming tournaments.
Facebook Twitter Reddit
TL+ Member
n3f
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada46 Posts
September 25 2014 07:37 GMT
#2
DRG <3
IsThatACabbage
Profile Joined July 2012
United States4 Posts
September 25 2014 07:50 GMT
#3
Great interviews, I really enjoyed them.
deacon.frost
Profile Joined February 2013
Czech Republic12133 Posts
September 25 2014 07:53 GMT
#4
DRG in English, yay!

Great interviews, thanks.
I imagine France should be able to take this unless Lilbow is busy practicing for Starcraft III. | KadaverBB is my fairy ban mother.
lichter
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
1001 YEARS KESPAJAIL22272 Posts
September 25 2014 07:55 GMT
#5
does the name waxangel reference your seemingly greasy hair
AdministratorYOU MUST HEED MY INSTRUCTIONS TAKE OFF YOUR THIIIINGS
Waxangel
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
United States33703 Posts
September 25 2014 07:59 GMT
#6
On September 25 2014 16:55 lichter wrote:
does the name waxangel reference your seemingly greasy hair


you're going to notice I wore the same shirt on day 2
AdministratorHey HP can you redo everything youve ever done because i have a small complaint?
Random_0
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
United States1163 Posts
September 25 2014 08:03 GMT
#7
Somebody's got to run some statistics on the record of KeSpa players vs. Korean non-KeSpa players and vice-versa.
MrTortoise
Profile Joined January 2011
1388 Posts
September 25 2014 08:12 GMT
#8
the problem is that its an edge it could be hard to find good unbias comparison sets
Motlu
Profile Joined August 2014
Australia884 Posts
September 25 2014 08:16 GMT
#9
DRG seems to really dislike the Kespa philosophy (or maybe its just the translation). I agree with the different strokes for different folks idea in this situation. It is still the case that players generally perform better in the kespa environment with a few exceptions. Really interested in seeing how all these koreans jumping ship do in 2015.

Also that Trap smirk <3
-
Ctesias
Profile Joined December 2012
4595 Posts
September 25 2014 08:27 GMT
#10
Great interviews. Thanks guys.
Flash | Mvp
biskit
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia355 Posts
September 25 2014 08:34 GMT
#11
Thanks for the interview. I enjoy reading their thoughts about Kespa, money, and passion.
Mahanaim
Profile Joined December 2012
Korea (South)1002 Posts
September 25 2014 08:38 GMT
#12
Ah, the good ol' Wax interviews!

Thanks man!
Celebrating Starcraft since... a long time ago.
Penev
Profile Joined October 2012
28536 Posts
September 25 2014 08:39 GMT
#13
These interviews are very interesting. Thanks! The one with DRG confirms the exodus of KeSPA players are not money motivated.
I Protoss winner, could it be?
Davoud
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden38 Posts
September 25 2014 08:52 GMT
#14
Good interviews, thanks!
Ramiz1989
Profile Joined July 2012
12124 Posts
September 25 2014 09:17 GMT
#15
Very nice interviews, I haven't heard these good and detailed Korean interviews for a long time. Nicely done, keep it up!
"I've been to hell and back, and back to hell…and back. This time, I've brought Hell back with me."
GTR
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
51694 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-09-25 09:18:55
September 25 2014 09:17 GMT
#16
I think one thing people forget about KeSPA is the luxury of having an experienced coaching staff going day in, day out through your gameplay. It's definitely a factor which non-KeSPA teams can't provide.

This is why I think Fantasy will flop once he moves to a foreign team. I love him and all, but I think he's more of a product of an awesome coaching system (iloveoov et al) which is why he's been able to be so successful.
Commentator
RaiKageRyu
Profile Joined August 2009
Canada4773 Posts
September 25 2014 09:57 GMT
#17
Nice contrasting interviews that offer insight to both sides of the question.
Someone call down the Thunder?
shin ken
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Germany614 Posts
September 25 2014 10:10 GMT
#18
Root.DRG with him going to america would be kinda cool. CatZ would singing with joy all day long!
REyeM
Profile Joined August 2014
2674 Posts
September 25 2014 10:13 GMT
#19
Good luck getting to Ro8 of GSL ever again with that attidude DRG.
S4 Arrows, never forget. RIP Woongjin Stars.
GumBa
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
United Kingdom31935 Posts
September 25 2014 10:14 GMT
#20
Does wax have passion again?
To all the haters: you deserve to witness many, many more Serral victories, worthy of the godlike player he is.
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
11:00
2026 Week 25
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko359
ProTech135
Rex 0
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 45931
Hyuk 1321
Jaedong 825
Soma 429
Soulkey 382
actioN 374
EffOrt 370
Horang2 362
BeSt 332
Mini 323
[ Show more ]
Zeus 264
Last 262
Light 260
Stork 226
910 191
Larva 179
Snow 135
ggaemo 126
Rush 114
ZerO 89
Pusan 83
Mind 63
Killer 49
Creator 45
Sharp 43
Shine 38
hero 34
JYJ 31
Shinee 26
Bale 24
Free 24
ToSsGirL 16
HiyA 15
Noble 14
yabsab 12
sorry 10
Terrorterran 9
Sacsri 8
Icarus 5
Dota 2
Gorgc7717
Dendi746
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1516
markeloff131
kRYSTAL_34
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1606
crisheroes781
Other Games
gofns41373
singsing1963
B2W.Neo698
XBOCT337
hiko320
Pyrionflax268
byalli248
DeMusliM247
ArmadaUGS86
Mew2King76
ZerO(Twitch)8
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 1548
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream134
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH323
• StrangeGG 44
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1453
Other Games
• WagamamaTV190
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
22m
Rex0
The PondCast
21h 22m
OSC
1d
Stellar Fest
1d
OSC
1d 11h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.