• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:49
CEST 07:49
KST 14:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon102Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12506 users

Call to Action: January 31 Balance Testing - Page 15

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 13 14 15 All
MrLightning
Profile Joined September 2013
306 Posts
February 02 2014 06:42 GMT
#281
Mass Hydra and Ghost Bio timings will insure that Protoss will never get Stargate let alone the Fleet Beacon to make Tempests. They should make Hydras cheaper, really seal the deal here.
aZealot
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
New Zealand5447 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-02 07:02:32
February 02 2014 06:48 GMT
#282
On February 02 2014 15:32 geokilla wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 02 2014 15:19 aZealot wrote:
Finally, got in a couple of games on the test map. Didn't play against good opponents unfortunately, but it did mean that I could try Tempests. I didn't rush them, though; opened SG into 2 base then Beacon and a 3rd. Boy, these things just smash buildings. It was actually fucking cool! Previously, I was opposed to this aspect of the patch (heh, actually most if not all of the patch!) but I can see this tweak opening up a whole different area of the late game in Starcraft.

I don't know if rushing Tempests is really viable against a competent opponent because your ground army will be small and Tempests do diddly squat to anything not massive air or a building. It probably would be abusable on maps with lots of dead air but that remains to be seen. Basically, I like this change but it could use more testing and some tweaks. Some thoughts are adjusting the damage numbers and making it an upgrade at Beacon (so that it truly is a late game tool for Protoss).

Another is for the Tempest design to change slightly when the ability is researched and active so that it is easier to scout and for opponents to be aware of what may be coming (rather like Roaches when they have tunneling claws).

Anyway, originally I did not like this Tempest change because I thought it would upset all P match-ups. But, I am not sure anymore. With some tweaks, I think it could be an exciting change to Protoss and open up a lot of options in late game SC.

The problem is that you can have Tempests camping out from afar like Polar Night and just pick off key structures. Having Tempest pretty much means having Skytoss, and having Skytoss means you have a pretty much unbeatable army when it gets to that late in the game. All Zerg has are Fungals, and Fungals can't reach Tempests that are pew pewing far away. Corruptors and Mutalisks, well they gotta respect the Void Rays and Phoenix which pretty much hard counter them. Same goes for Terran and its air units.


Well, that depends on the map. But, I don't see the problem in some maps favouring certain units or play styles (as long as the bias toward that unit or play style is not excessive). I think it makes for better games and for better players.

More to the point, you don't know any of that. Nor do I. Neither of us know enough of what the game will look like if the Tempest change goes through (I hope with the changes I have suggested - it may be OP otherwise). Especially if other patch changes go through. It will take figuring out from players as we go along. My point is that after playing a couple of games with it, I found it exciting. It could open up a new meta in late game Starcraft, and more positional and tactical play.
KT best KT ~ 2014
tshi
Profile Joined September 2012
United States2495 Posts
February 02 2014 06:50 GMT
#283
On February 02 2014 09:21 Chaggi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 02 2014 08:58 Wyrd wrote:
I like how everyone freaks shit about a test--A TEST. It's a test, you guys. Play the fucker before shooting your mouth off about it, and then even if it sucks, stop crying about a test.


Queen range was just a test they said...
Oracle speed? Just a test!
I'm weary of tests...

And they're all great changes that were tested beforehand. Now, we'll get to see Hydras at 25 -- it'll be great for PvZ.

I also hope they add more changes to the bunker.
scrub - inexperienced player with relatively little skill and excessive arrogance
Deleted User 137586
Profile Joined January 2011
7859 Posts
February 02 2014 10:01 GMT
#284
On February 02 2014 09:21 Chaggi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 02 2014 08:58 Wyrd wrote:
I like how everyone freaks shit about a test--A TEST. It's a test, you guys. Play the fucker before shooting your mouth off about it, and then even if it sucks, stop crying about a test.


Queen range was just a test they said...
Oracle speed? Just a test!
I'm weary of tests...


They never tested the 5 range queens
Cry 'havoc' and let slip the dogs of war
covetousrat
Profile Joined October 2010
2109 Posts
February 02 2014 10:09 GMT
#285
Hydra 25 gas is crazy lol
weikor
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Austria580 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-02 11:01:41
February 02 2014 10:55 GMT
#286
i doubt the tempest change will do much. Its stupid to say protoss players will *just camp somewhere in the distance picking off key structures* . - tempests can do that now, but you dont see that happening at all. simply because they are slow, and still dont do a lot of damage (60 vs structures for a fleet beacon and 300^200 unit. IM pretty sure the same investment in voidrays will deal similar, if not more damage)

I would like to say the hydra change is stupid, but i actually think its a cool change, they will have to give protoss an option of dealing with hydra rushes at some point, but i dont think they are a problem in ZvT or ZvZ and actually help with the metagame of muta play, or mass bio.

I really enjoy how the msc has pushed the sentry away from a unit to make every game. Players have been asking for the sentry to be redisigned, blizzard (not listening to the players of course) accidentally removed it from the metagame by making protoss unattackable in the early game.

Thanks blizzard, you really know how to appease the casuals!
Big J
Profile Joined March 2011
Austria16289 Posts
February 02 2014 11:06 GMT
#287
On February 02 2014 19:55 weikor wrote:
i doubt the tempest change will do much. Its stupid to say protoss players will *just camp somewhere in the distance picking off key structures* . - tempests can do that now, but you dont see that happening at all. simply because they are slow, and still dont do a lot of damage (60 vs structures for a fleet beacon and 300^200 unit. IM pretty sure the same investment in voidrays will deal similar, if not more damage)

I would like to say the hydra change is stupid, but i actually think its a cool change, they will have to give protoss an option of dealing with hydra rushes at some point, but i dont think they are a problem in ZvT or ZvZ and actually help with the metagame of muta play, or mass bio.

I really enjoy how the msc has pushed the sentry away from a unit to make every game. Players have been asking for the sentry to be redisigned, blizzard (not listening to the players of course) accidentally removed it from the metagame by making protoss unattackable in the early game.

Thanks blizzard, you really know how to appease the casuals!


It's not about keystructures, but spore/spine crawlers. And Protoss are doing that right now, it's just not really efficient because the damage of Tempest vs structures is really bad.
Deleted User 137586
Profile Joined January 2011
7859 Posts
February 02 2014 11:38 GMT
#288
There are games, also high level games, of semi tempest rushes against terran. This requires a short aerial distance, a good target in base, and lots of dead space near the target. Habitation station is perfect for it. As it stands now, I'd say it's cheese, and only works if they get a bit lucky. But it should be tested with this change.
Cry 'havoc' and let slip the dogs of war
SC2Toastie
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
Netherlands5725 Posts
February 02 2014 11:42 GMT
#289
On February 02 2014 20:38 Ghanburighan wrote:
There are games, also high level games, of semi tempest rushes against terran. This requires a short aerial distance, a good target in base, and lots of dead space near the target. Habitation station is perfect for it. As it stands now, I'd say it's cheese, and only works if they get a bit lucky. But it should be tested with this change.

So, your comment on a change in a test map is that it has to be tested... ?
Mura Ma Man, Dark Da Dude, Super Shot Sos!
Deleted User 137586
Profile Joined January 2011
7859 Posts
February 02 2014 11:46 GMT
#290
I was responding to:

``but you dont see that happening at all''
Cry 'havoc' and let slip the dogs of war
redviper
Profile Joined May 2010
Pakistan2333 Posts
February 02 2014 11:58 GMT
#291
I just really want to see a pro game with the reduced hydra cost. I am certainly not good enough to utilize it, but like someone said it will allow zerg to do multi-prong harass with OL drop. That sounds freaking awesome to watch.
Big J
Profile Joined March 2011
Austria16289 Posts
February 02 2014 12:01 GMT
#292
On February 02 2014 20:58 redviper wrote:
I just really want to see a pro game with the reduced hydra cost. I am certainly not good enough to utilize it, but like someone said it will allow zerg to do multi-prong harass with OL drop. That sounds freaking awesome to watch.


what? he? why? how?
TheBloodyDwarf
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
Finland7524 Posts
February 02 2014 12:23 GMT
#293
On February 02 2014 20:58 redviper wrote:
I just really want to see a pro game with the reduced hydra cost. I am certainly not good enough to utilize it, but like someone said it will allow zerg to do multi-prong harass with OL drop. That sounds freaking awesome to watch.

I dont think zerg can max out much faster and I dont know about harrash. But this makes making muta so much easiler vs P
Fusilero: "I still can't believe he did that, like dude what the fuck there's fandom and then there's what he did like holy shit. I still see it when I close my eyes." <- reaction to the original drunk santa post which later caught on
Rainmansc
Profile Joined August 2011
Netherlands216 Posts
February 02 2014 12:34 GMT
#294
On February 02 2014 21:23 TheBloodyDwarf wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 02 2014 20:58 redviper wrote:
I just really want to see a pro game with the reduced hydra cost. I am certainly not good enough to utilize it, but like someone said it will allow zerg to do multi-prong harass with OL drop. That sounds freaking awesome to watch.

I dont think zerg can max out much faster and I dont know about harrash. But this makes making muta so much easiler vs P

Indeed. It will only make opening ling/hydra easier to go into more muta's later.
Nebuchad
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
Switzerland12535 Posts
February 02 2014 16:14 GMT
#295
I wonder if we could organize something like, take two players of about equal skill level (by their own admission), and have them play 20 blink all-in scenarios on Yeonsu in this test map. I can be the protoss in this if you like, but I'm gold and my PvT is awful so I'm pretty sure that wouldn't prove much.
No will to live, no wish to die
Whitewing
Profile Joined October 2010
United States7483 Posts
February 02 2014 20:38 GMT
#296
On February 02 2014 21:34 Rainmansc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 02 2014 21:23 TheBloodyDwarf wrote:
On February 02 2014 20:58 redviper wrote:
I just really want to see a pro game with the reduced hydra cost. I am certainly not good enough to utilize it, but like someone said it will allow zerg to do multi-prong harass with OL drop. That sounds freaking awesome to watch.

I dont think zerg can max out much faster and I dont know about harrash. But this makes making muta so much easiler vs P

Indeed. It will only make opening ling/hydra easier to go into more muta's later.


Hydra maxes will come faster: you'll be able to hit a 200/200 timing around 12 minutes with pure hydralisk. That's just silly.
Strategy"You know I fucking hate the way you play, right?" ~SC2John
MrMedic
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada452 Posts
February 02 2014 20:48 GMT
#297
I play zerg and I think that the zerg will now be able to overpower the protoss with roach hydra because of this buff. But we will have to see, maybe we are blowing it out of proportion who knows..
Prev 1 13 14 15 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings102
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 175
StarCraft: Brood War
soO 436
hero 375
BeSt 254
Mind 34
Terrorterran 26
Bale 21
ZergMaN 14
Noble 12
yabsab 11
Icarus 6
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1099
League of Legends
JimRising 685
Counter-Strike
taco 379
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King142
Other Games
summit1g9353
Maynarde175
ArmadaUGS52
Livibee20
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick473
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 8
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH341
• practicex 37
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2218
League of Legends
• Rush1303
• Stunt397
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
4h 11m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
5h 11m
Monday Night Weeklies
10h 11m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 4h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 4h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 18h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.