• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:05
CEST 13:05
KST 20:05
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8934 users

Cloud Retires from SC2 - Page 8

Forum Index > SC2 General
188 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 Next All
gh0un
Profile Joined March 2011
601 Posts
March 18 2013 19:46 GMT
#141
I kinda liked cloud, but the truth is he sucked at sc2.
Hider
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Denmark9448 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-18 20:07:19
March 18 2013 20:05 GMT
#142
Hey Cloud
My question might be slightly offensive to you, but it really isn't meant as any kind of troll or irony - I just want a bit more selfreflection from your part.

I remember when I watched you play in the earlier stages of sc2 (say first 6-9 months post-release). It semed that you quite consistently would have trouble spending your money. Often times you would havel like 3k unspent or something ridiclous like that (admittely it wasn't over a huge sample size, but I think I watched like 5 games in a row of you I noticed very high average unspent ressources). This surprised me because I knew you were a BW gamer and I would expect former BW games to at least get the macro thing right. Later on, you improved your macro and i didn't notice anything late 2011-.

But I would like to ask you why you had trouble with macro back then? How much did you practice early post release (like average game per day?). Or do you think I am totally wrong with my claim that your macro wasn't very good?
Garmer
Profile Joined October 2010
1286 Posts
March 18 2013 20:08 GMT
#143
On March 19 2013 00:19 The_Darkness wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 18 2013 20:26 SarcasmMonster wrote:
I know very well within myself I could stand above any non korean progamer if I put enough dedication into it, but what kept me from doing so in Starcraft2 was the fact I don't enjoy playing this game at all.


... that's a terrible mentality


It's also incredibly arrogant.

yeah it's arrogant but it's the right mentality
Thor.Rush
Profile Joined April 2011
Sweden702 Posts
March 18 2013 20:10 GMT
#144
Good luck Cloud. I thought you were an entertaining and honest personality in the sc2 scene.
| SaSe | Naniwa |Stephano | LucifroN | Mvp | MarineKing | ByuN | Polt | MC | Parting |
mYiKane
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Canada1772 Posts
March 18 2013 20:14 GMT
#145
i dont mean any offense to cloud, but i think it may have been relatively obvious that his passion for progaming was fading; all you needed to do was look at his twitter posts. it was consistently full of tweets complaining about balance and other progamers. Best of luck to him in real life!
aTnClouD
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Italy2428 Posts
March 18 2013 20:17 GMT
#146
On March 19 2013 05:05 Hider wrote:
Hey Cloud
My question might be slightly offensive to you, but it really isn't meant as any kind of troll or irony - I just want a bit more selfreflection from your part.

I remember when I watched you play in the earlier stages of sc2 (say first 6-9 months post-release). It semed that you quite consistently would have trouble spending your money. Often times you would havel like 3k unspent or something ridiclous like that (admittely it wasn't over a huge sample size, but I think I watched like 5 games in a row of you I noticed very high average unspent ressources). This surprised me because I knew you were a BW gamer and I would expect former BW games to at least get the macro thing right. Later on, you improved your macro and i didn't notice anything late 2011-.

But I would like to ask you why you had trouble with macro back then? How much did you practice early post release (like average game per day?). Or do you think I am totally wrong with my claim that your macro wasn't very good?

It's a legit question and it's something I found very odd from my part aswell. I reflected on it and realized that it happened for 2 reasons. First I was so used to the Protoss building times back in Brood War that I would actually slip consinstently and remember to produce only within SC1 timings. I worked hard on this and eventually I got used to the SC2 terran timings, which are a lot faster. The second reason was that the game was new to me and I wasn't playing a lot, and good mechanics only come with lots of practice. I just had overall a very bad mentality and it took me a few months too long before adjusting my macro, but eventually I was able to fix this.
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/hunter692007/kruemelmonsteryn0.gif
testthewest
Profile Joined October 2011
Germany274 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-18 20:37:44
March 18 2013 20:36 GMT
#147
On March 19 2013 05:08 Garmer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 19 2013 00:19 The_Darkness wrote:
On March 18 2013 20:26 SarcasmMonster wrote:
I know very well within myself I could stand above any non korean progamer if I put enough dedication into it, but what kept me from doing so in Starcraft2 was the fact I don't enjoy playing this game at all.


... that's a terrible mentality


It's also incredibly arrogant.

yeah it's arrogant but it's the right mentality



Not so sure about that. If you are really that good, people will see it, without you having to tell them.
A Lionel Messi doesn't have to brag all day.
Telling how good you could have been, should you have cared is just weak.

I could also say: "I could have beaten every korean at Starcraft - but I simply wasn't interested, I rather studied got a wife and enjoy my life now, earning enough to see the world."

But wouldn't that be very arrogant even if true?
War is not about who is right, but who is left.
Brett
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
Australia3823 Posts
March 18 2013 20:42 GMT
#148
Later, Cloud. It was fun watching you play bw back in years gone by. I don't entirely agree with your assessment of sc2, but bw will always be the best game ever made.
aTnClouD
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Italy2428 Posts
March 18 2013 20:50 GMT
#149
On March 19 2013 05:36 testthewest wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 19 2013 05:08 Garmer wrote:
On March 19 2013 00:19 The_Darkness wrote:
On March 18 2013 20:26 SarcasmMonster wrote:
I know very well within myself I could stand above any non korean progamer if I put enough dedication into it, but what kept me from doing so in Starcraft2 was the fact I don't enjoy playing this game at all.


... that's a terrible mentality


It's also incredibly arrogant.

yeah it's arrogant but it's the right mentality



Not so sure about that. If you are really that good, people will see it, without you having to tell them.
A Lionel Messi doesn't have to brag all day.
Telling how good you could have been, should you have cared is just weak.

I could also say: "I could have beaten every korean at Starcraft - but I simply wasn't interested, I rather studied got a wife and enjoy my life now, earning enough to see the world."

But wouldn't that be very arrogant even if true?

Don't read too much in what I said. I just wrote how I felt about it and I wasn't bragging, but just explaining my feelings between playing SC1 and SC2 and how this didn't make me enjoy the second game. If what I said is true or not doesn't matter because in the end only facts matter, and that's also a good reason to never give words like this too much weight. What I wanted to underline were my feelings towards the game and the way they changed my approach when I became a professional player in SC2.
I was also very negative in the beginning of my SC2 career and playing this game helped me realize how important is to be positive and optimistic towards yourself and the others. This is one of the biggest changes I had in my life. I understand some people just saw some negativity some time ago but I was able to change this part of me in the last months and I'm really happy about it. In the end I consider my career good but not brilliant at all, and it proved to be way better as a life experience than as a job. I'm totally fine with this and I'm a bit confused at the people trying to say I wasn't among the top SC2 progamers when I never thought I was in the first place.
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/hunter692007/kruemelmonsteryn0.gif
Malinor
Profile Joined November 2008
Germany4758 Posts
March 18 2013 20:51 GMT
#150
Good for him. Good look in the future.
"Withstand. Suffer. Live as you must now live. There will, one day, be answer to this." ||| "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."
Daumen
Profile Joined July 2011
Germany1073 Posts
March 18 2013 21:01 GMT
#151
noooooooo!!
President of the ReaL Fan Club.
WikidSik
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Canada382 Posts
March 18 2013 22:31 GMT
#152
can you still hoist towels from time to time
Iv been here for 5.5 years. My other accounts are named "Sonu" and "Dalroti" || I had some more but I cant find them XD || known in sc2 as "Sonu"
CactusSC2
Profile Joined October 2010
United States61 Posts
March 18 2013 22:49 GMT
#153
For me, this was actually a great post to read... I feel like I understand this story, even if I was never that good at SC and BW... Good luck with everything Cloud... Thanks for the games I saw and the story ending here... I appreciated it...
"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due."
Larkin
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
United Kingdom7161 Posts
March 18 2013 23:48 GMT
#154
Gonna miss Cloud, met him at Gamescom couple years back, was a chill guy.
https://www.twitch.tv/ttalarkin - streams random stuff, high level teamleague, maybe even heroleague
DisillusionedAcronym
Profile Joined September 2011
190 Posts
March 19 2013 00:00 GMT
#155
noooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i like watching him play. :-(

good luck to you, cloud. wish you the best with whatever you do and thank you for some very entertaining games
BlackGosu
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Canada1046 Posts
March 19 2013 00:03 GMT
#156
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/ClouD

I'm having trouble finding major tournament achievements. Or did no one update his wins? If this is all, then sorry, he was never a top foreigner, let alone world class.
Jar Jar Binks
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27441 Posts
March 19 2013 00:08 GMT
#157
I for one will miss your brutal honesty ClouD, good luck with whatever is coming next for you.

Did you ever consider trying your hand at more casting or other non-playing roles?
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Deleted User 183001
Profile Joined May 2011
2939 Posts
March 19 2013 00:14 GMT
#158
His reasons are honorable. You just can't force yourself to do something you don't enjoy, day in and day out.
Also, when you get into your mid-late 20s, you really have to work on your long-term future. Sadly, professional gaming isn't that future that goes beyonds your 20s (if that) except for very few people.

It's sad to see a long-time SC player go, but he's at a time where he needs to be concentrating on his life. Can't argue with that. Good luck, Cloud!
Baarn
Profile Joined April 2010
United States2702 Posts
March 19 2013 00:19 GMT
#159
GL with whatever you do next Cloud.
There's no S in KT. :P
Poetry
Profile Joined April 2011
United States105 Posts
March 19 2013 02:03 GMT
#160
goodbye cloud, i still remember getting destroyed by you in a tournament once and that was cool
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 55m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko263
SpeCial 82
ProTech26
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15858
firebathero 2330
Bisu 950
Hyuk 624
Horang2 502
Larva 320
BeSt 249
Light 200
Mini 184
EffOrt 145
[ Show more ]
Soma 134
Rush 98
Barracks 90
Leta 86
ZerO 67
Pusan 61
Mong 55
Killer 51
ToSsGirL 47
Sharp 42
Yoon 35
Aegong 35
Shinee 32
Mind 29
Sexy 26
NaDa 26
Snow 24
sorry 21
Bale 21
Hm[arnc] 19
Sacsri 18
JulyZerg 15
zelot 15
Noble 15
Terrorterran 14
ajuk12(nOOB) 11
Sea.KH 5
Dota 2
XaKoH 296
Fuzer 181
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss906
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1017
crisheroes1011
Other Games
gofns30388
singsing1907
olofmeister1135
B2W.Neo222
Mew2King80
Livibee66
ArmadaUGS50
ZerO(Twitch)14
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream191
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH119
• StrangeGG 27
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
1h 55m
OSC
10h 55m
CranKy Ducklings
22h 55m
Online Event
23h 55m
FEL
1d 4h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 5h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 7h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 22h
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.