• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:26
CEST 14:26
KST 21:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8698 users

The Lack of Storytelling in E-Sports’ Events (AA) - Page 2

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 All
Ace Frehley
Profile Joined December 2012
2030 Posts
December 11 2012 00:30 GMT
#21
The audience is just too much comfortable with teamliquid.net and doesn't bother with going to other sites, I feel.
If you have a limited time to dedicate to your hobby, you won't waste it visiting a dozen sites. To save time, TL kind of do the job.

To be honest, I am like that. The only other site I occasionally visit to check sc2 stuff are those articles on Team Acer site.
Reddit is no-no to me, as well.


...
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
December 11 2012 00:33 GMT
#22
On December 11 2012 09:30 Ace Frehley wrote:
The audience is just too much comfortable with teamliquid.net and doesn't bother with going to other sites, I feel.
If you have a limited time to dedicate to your hobby, you won't waste it visiting a dozen sites. To save time, TL kind of do the job.

To be honest, I am like that. The only other site I occasionally visit to check sc2 stuff are those articles on Team Acer site.
Reddit is no-no to me, as well.




I don't doubt this. But MLG already uses this site to inform the public of upcoming shows and matches.
They can use these community nodes to do more.
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
luckylefty
Profile Joined November 2010
United States272 Posts
December 11 2012 03:13 GMT
#23
I feel like nobody will ever top TL....so I'm not sure about this.
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
December 11 2012 04:19 GMT
#24
Thanks Brad
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
Hanna
Profile Joined November 2012
Germany43 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-11 11:13:46
December 11 2012 11:12 GMT
#25
I only want to commentate one of this many things in the article, the maps.

New or different maps at the tournaments would be very great! Everytime you see the same maps which often times looks like each other. I can remember, how great it was, when new korean maps came out and how exciting it was, to watch the games on this new maps.
Also i think, it would be kind of challenge for the players, if they have to play on maps, the don't know by heart. Playing on maps you know that good seems like following just a plan. At 8 minutes it can be a hatch there, at 10 minutes i have to scout for pylon there and so on. Sure, its part of the game for progamer to know that. But i would like to have more alternation in this part (maps).

just my two cents
WCS is like allowing Premier League football teams in the Korean football league... only, the other way around!
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
December 11 2012 16:39 GMT
#26
On December 11 2012 20:12 Hanna wrote:
I only want to commentate one of this many things in the article, the maps.

New or different maps at the tournaments would be very great! Everytime you see the same maps which often times looks like each other. I can remember, how great it was, when new korean maps came out and how exciting it was, to watch the games on this new maps.
Also i think, it would be kind of challenge for the players, if they have to play on maps, the don't know by heart. Playing on maps you know that good seems like following just a plan. At 8 minutes it can be a hatch there, at 10 minutes i have to scout for pylon there and so on. Sure, its part of the game for progamer to know that. But i would like to have more alternation in this part (maps).

just my two cents



I think this might be a bit too much to be honest. It's exciting for the spectator, but you're now treading on player's practice regiment. If every tournament used different maps, players would be obliged to choose which tournaments suit their preferences
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
Romitelli
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Brunei Darussalam566 Posts
December 12 2012 13:03 GMT
#27
On December 11 2012 08:39 ELA wrote:
I know this is a tired old analogy, but to bring up sports again; can you think of any organizers of sports events that makes content like this? Im not talking about free boomsticks and banners here, but quality articles previewing their own events, as you described it "their stories", which I completely agree btw, are lost for far too many people..


The amount of (quality) content made available on the official websites for the NBA, the NFL and MLB is insane, and ranges from full-length preview and review articles to video recaps and top-10 lists. The teams also have their own websites and provide more player and squad-centric content.

I firmly believe that tournament organizers could adopt a similar approach. They have all the tools and resources for doing so: raw footage from the event (remember IPL's top plays of the month segment?), replays of the games played, direct and easy access to the players and so on.
Zed's dead, baby, Zed's dead.
Noocta
Profile Joined June 2010
France12578 Posts
December 12 2012 13:41 GMT
#28
I think TL being the center piece of all SC2 tournament hype is somewhat a good thing other games don't really have.
Do you really think tournaments would get more exposure if they all had their own websites ? I sure wouldn't bother visiting 4 or 5 website for a game, even Starcraft.

On one other subject in the post, I think maps need to change more often. This is probably one of the main factor in SC2 looking stale right now.
And since most pro players practice on ladder, we need Blizzard to act with us on that matter.
I've been posting about changing half the ladder maps each seasons for quite some time now.

Imagine a system like this :

3 to 6 month seasons.
Season 1 with 8 maps
Season 2, you replace 4 of the maps
Season 3 you replace the 4 maps who stayed from season 1
etc etc

Right now, we are on the THIRD season in a row without a map pool change. It's insane. Starcraft can't stay exiting like this.
" I'm not gonna fight you. I'm gonna kick your ass ! "
Avs
Profile Joined November 2010
Korea (North)857 Posts
December 12 2012 17:14 GMT
#29
Every tournament headliner should read: Boxer vs MMA.
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
December 12 2012 17:42 GMT
#30
On December 13 2012 02:14 Avs wrote:
Every tournament headliner should read: Boxer vs MMA.


Not everyone likes TvT sadly haha
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
Heyoka
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Katowice25012 Posts
December 12 2012 17:49 GMT
#31
On December 11 2012 09:30 Ace Frehley wrote:
The audience is just too much comfortable with teamliquid.net and doesn't bother with going to other sites, I feel.
If you have a limited time to dedicate to your hobby, you won't waste it visiting a dozen sites. To save time, TL kind of do the job.

To be honest, I am like that. The only other site I occasionally visit to check sc2 stuff are those articles on Team Acer site.
Reddit is no-no to me, as well.


I want to add to this that I don't think TL being a central location can stop other outfits from developing their own content. All these organizations can post their articles to TL so that those of us who only visit a single site can easily find them, that is the only way I ever find out about Acer articles for instance. If anything that should be an incentive to because it will guarantee a large portion of their audience sees it (in combniation with reddit and twitter).

I just don't think TL being a one-stop-shop is even part of the equation - it's just another tool they need to be aware of when presenting and promoting that type of narration.
@RealHeyoka | ESL / DreamHack StarCraft Lead
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-12 17:57:05
December 12 2012 17:56 GMT
#32
On December 13 2012 02:49 heyoka wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 11 2012 09:30 Ace Frehley wrote:
The audience is just too much comfortable with teamliquid.net and doesn't bother with going to other sites, I feel.
If you have a limited time to dedicate to your hobby, you won't waste it visiting a dozen sites. To save time, TL kind of do the job.

To be honest, I am like that. The only other site I occasionally visit to check sc2 stuff are those articles on Team Acer site.
Reddit is no-no to me, as well.


I want to add to this that I don't think TL being a central location can stop other outfits from developing their own content. All these organizations can post their articles to TL so that those of us who only visit a single site can easily find them, that is the only way I ever find out about Acer articles for instance. If anything that should be an incentive to because it will guarantee a large portion of their audience sees it (in combniation with reddit and twitter).

I just don't think TL being a one-stop-shop is even part of the equation - it's just another tool they need to be aware of when presenting and promoting that type of narration.


yeah, I touched on this as well on the last page:
On December 11 2012 09:01 Torte de Lini wrote:
Show nested quote +
Their own website, or? If that's the case, surely the viewers best interests are not represented.
Why would the viewers best interest matter whatsoever? The organizers are using stories to both hype and weave relevance into their event. This is for their own self-interest as well as inform the public, giving them reason to watch. If they choose not to, then that's their choice.

Your analogy of sports is terrible because it isn't the same circumstances. There aren't 2-3 day tournaments competing with simultaneous or similar 2-3 day tournaments happening at the same time. These are events, not necessarily full-leagues or associations. What we're asking here is for organizers to highlight past events and their winners and put stakes into their marketing pot to deliver to the reader or viewer. This is informing your public as I stated above and it's pretty much needed when you're competing with other events hosting similar competitions with the same players (creating a feeling of repetition).

Show nested quote +
but what platform do you suppose they use to get just a margin of the traffic and hype that a well-written TL writer team article can achieve?


Reddit, TL. You use those to draw in interests for your site and that would be ok within the forum rules because it is set on advertising your competition in an informal way. It serves to help create interest in the scene and in turn, your event. If TL wants to write their own article about an event, then they can and that works for both parties. If one draws more interest than another, that doesn't sound bad either because the same two people win (thus, the more, the merrier). If more people are talking about an event, it is going to be seen more often and net more interests. If not, the exposure is good regardless. If TL volunteers can write thousands of words of the players in an upcoming event alone, I'm pretty sure 2-3 paid commissioned writers can do it without a problem.

Show nested quote +
I wouldn't go to FIFA's website if I wanted to know about whats going on in Champions League, just as I wouldn't go to the NHL-homepage to know about hockey. I would go to a sports website that I know have quality articles and cool content - Is this what you describe as the traditional model the interdependency between sports and individual press


http://www.nhl.com/
http://www.fifa.com/

They all have their own articles, highlights and content. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Like I said, the circumstances are different. There isn't an importance for NHL to produce content because they don't have any competition for their, pun intended, hockey players and competition.

MLG is not on the same level of comfortability. If TL is writing articles about all the events and all the players, the article on your event may get just as many views as another article of say, IPL. So should MLG not write about their own events because someone can do it better or because the obvious choice to content is TeamLiquid? Is it smart to limit choice because preferences are made?


On December 12 2012 22:41 Noocta wrote:
I think TL being the center piece of all SC2 tournament hype is somewhat a good thing other games don't really have.
Do you really think tournaments would get more exposure if they all had their own websites ? I sure wouldn't bother visiting 4 or 5 website for a game, even Starcraft.

On one other subject in the post, I think maps need to change more often. This is probably one of the main factor in SC2 looking stale right now.
And since most pro players practice on ladder, we need Blizzard to act with us on that matter.
I've been posting about changing half the ladder maps each seasons for quite some time now.

Imagine a system like this :

3 to 6 month seasons.
Season 1 with 8 maps
Season 2, you replace 4 of the maps
Season 3 you replace the 4 maps who stayed from season 1
etc etc

Right now, we are on the THIRD season in a row without a map pool change. It's insane. Starcraft can't stay exiting like this.


I think with maps changes occurring more often, adaptation will be the strength of the players rather than innovation.
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
THM
Profile Joined November 2010
Bulgaria1131 Posts
December 12 2012 18:17 GMT
#33
Read some of your articles, good stuff.
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
December 12 2012 18:29 GMT
#34
thanks!
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
dubRa
Profile Joined December 2008
2165 Posts
December 12 2012 18:37 GMT
#35
I like this article and I agree. But I don't understand some things here.
Opening sentence: Within this month, there are currently four major tournament organizations showing content (if we exclude Evil Geniuses MCSL): GSL, IPL, MLG and NASL (as well as Iron Squid and KeSPA’s Proleague)
First of all, what month is referred to here? The article was posted on December 4th. So 'within this month' means December? MLG Dallas and IPL5 was in November.
Why is not Dreamhack and IEM included? Which is a shame because IEM is a bit unique in the foreign tournament scene in that it fosters young talent.

Second, GSL is not similar to any tournament in the world. It holds the highest prestige, it uses a completely different format, it has the best production value. It is the GSL's big guys that transform to other tournaments as the favorites whenever other tournaments invite them, also known as the "Korean invasion".

I know this is not relevant to the main point. Just some observation.
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-12 18:44:15
December 12 2012 18:43 GMT
#36
On December 13 2012 03:37 dubRa wrote:
I like this article and I agree. But I don't understand some things here.
Opening sentence: Within this month, there are currently four major tournament organizations showing content (if we exclude Evil Geniuses MCSL): GSL, IPL, MLG and NASL (as well as Iron Squid and KeSPA’s Proleague)
First of all, what month is referred to here? The article was posted on December 4th. So 'within this month' means December? MLG Dallas and IPL5 was in November.
Why is not Dreamhack and IEM included? Which is a shame because IEM is a bit unique in the foreign tournament scene in that it fosters young talent.

Second, GSL is not similar to any tournament in the world. It holds the highest prestige, it uses a completely different format, it has the best production value. It is the GSL's big guys that transform to other tournaments as the favorites whenever other tournaments invite them, also known as the "Korean invasion".

I know this is not relevant to the main point. Just some observation.


when I had first written the article, it was November. All my articles are written in late October/November and had to be redrafted and edited several times by myself.

So yes, they are a bit out-of-sync with their release, my mistake ):

I believe for the GSL, I wrote they were an exception given that they are unique in their players, matches and even maps on occasion (similar to KeSPA's Proleague as well).

edit: ah, I wrote that they were in my last article :x
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
StarStruck
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
25339 Posts
December 12 2012 19:13 GMT
#37
On December 11 2012 09:33 Torte de Lini wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 11 2012 09:30 Ace Frehley wrote:
The audience is just too much comfortable with teamliquid.net and doesn't bother with going to other sites, I feel.
If you have a limited time to dedicate to your hobby, you won't waste it visiting a dozen sites. To save time, TL kind of do the job.

To be honest, I am like that. The only other site I occasionally visit to check sc2 stuff are those articles on Team Acer site.
Reddit is no-no to me, as well.




I don't doubt this. But MLG already uses this site to inform the public of upcoming shows and matches.
They can use these community nodes to do more.


You shouldn't depend on one community either when it comes to growth of your product. We're a bite-sized closed off circle.
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
December 13 2012 14:30 GMT
#38
On December 13 2012 04:13 StarStruck wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 11 2012 09:33 Torte de Lini wrote:
On December 11 2012 09:30 Ace Frehley wrote:
The audience is just too much comfortable with teamliquid.net and doesn't bother with going to other sites, I feel.
If you have a limited time to dedicate to your hobby, you won't waste it visiting a dozen sites. To save time, TL kind of do the job.

To be honest, I am like that. The only other site I occasionally visit to check sc2 stuff are those articles on Team Acer site.
Reddit is no-no to me, as well.




I don't doubt this. But MLG already uses this site to inform the public of upcoming shows and matches.
They can use these community nodes to do more.


You shouldn't depend on one community either when it comes to growth of your product. We're a bite-sized closed off circle.


Yes, well-aware. Right now, they're using none.
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
Prev 1 2 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 34m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko433
ProTech121
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 41799
Bisu 1537
Horang2 1026
Hyuk 368
BeSt 330
EffOrt 312
Mini 290
Soma 282
Light 265
Larva 192
[ Show more ]
ZerO 131
Rush 109
Leta 102
Snow 101
Mong 95
Barracks 87
Pusan 59
Sea.KH 58
ToSsGirL 43
JYJ 37
Shinee 30
NaDa 30
Mind 30
Aegong 28
Yoon 24
Sexy 23
Bale 21
sorry 20
zelot 18
ajuk12(nOOB) 14
Noble 11
JulyZerg 9
Icarus 7
Terrorterran 5
Dota 2
Gorgc1489
XaKoH 381
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1520
Khaldor1168
Other Games
gofns33438
singsing2275
olofmeister1349
B2W.Neo343
hiko197
Livibee188
Mew2King78
ArmadaUGS45
ZerO(Twitch)10
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream226
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 8
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH177
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 11
• FirePhoenix8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
34m
OSC
9h 34m
CranKy Ducklings
21h 34m
Online Event
22h 34m
FEL
1d 3h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 4h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 6h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 21h
INu's Battles
1d 23h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.