• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:04
CEST 13:04
KST 20:04
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8910 users

The Other Gaming Gender (Armchair Athleticism) - Page 14

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 Next All
cloneThorN
Profile Joined September 2012
Denmark302 Posts
September 05 2013 10:16 GMT
#261
On September 05 2013 18:57 Torte de Lini wrote:
Yeah, he doesn't read that much


... Comming with that sort of strawmen, usually rip you 100% of credibility.
I can do anything i want, until otherwise is proven.
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
September 05 2013 10:18 GMT
#262
I'm not too worried about perception of people or the classifications of people to be honest.
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
cloneThorN
Profile Joined September 2012
Denmark302 Posts
September 05 2013 10:32 GMT
#263
On September 05 2013 19:14 MasterOfPuppets wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 05 2013 19:14 cloneThorN wrote:
On September 05 2013 19:11 MasterOfPuppets wrote:
On September 05 2013 18:58 DusTerr wrote:
I've usually noticed males being more competitive than females. I don't know if this is nature or nurture, but it definitely would effect the development and skill level.


There most definitely is a biological facet to the issue as well (which needless to say doesn't affect everyone equally; but nevertheless should not be ignored), but the much stronger factor is probably the conditioned one, that is societal expectations and the peer pressure/stigma that results from them.


I don't know dude. 30 years ago, being a gamer meant being the scum of earth personified, male or female. Look what it became, even with several times higher peer pressure than female gamers are facing now.


Read my longer post.


Just read it now(get to the point quicker dammit, no one but me and tor di is gonna read that wall).

I did agree with it, however theres also some risc in it:

A: Getting female gamers into sc2 via female only tournaments could create a split between the genders in sc2, like in physical sports.

B: Female only tournament could potientially be dominated by as few as 4-5 players as they scene will be new.

C. Reinforce the idea that games are for men, seing as we needed to create an effin female league in a game, for women to be able to compete even at the lowest level.
I can do anything i want, until otherwise is proven.
cloneThorN
Profile Joined September 2012
Denmark302 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-05 10:47:11
September 05 2013 10:33 GMT
#264
On September 05 2013 19:18 Torte de Lini wrote:
I'm not too worried about perception of people or the classifications of people to be honest.


You don't care about perception, but you wanna change how women percive gaming? You are arguing against yourself...

Also classifications are nessecary tools to be able to communicate effeciently :O

EDIT: Also, it's bullshit that you don't care about how people percive you. It's part of human nature to compare oneself with others, and our social society greatly enhances that need.
I can do anything i want, until otherwise is proven.
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-05 11:23:28
September 05 2013 11:23 GMT
#265
your personal perception.
specifically
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
Chinnro
Profile Joined February 2013
Australia47 Posts
September 05 2013 11:33 GMT
#266
The 'chess' question was answered decades ago...it's the competitive nature of the 'male condition', it has nothing to do with intelligence, problem solving or love of the game. Females do not need to compete, they choose the fittest (best gamer, sharpest mind, biggest biceps etc) mate and away they go!

This will never change and this is why we as spectators and fans will find it difficult to support an inferior level of competition. I want more women playing too, but creating a 4th tier of competition would be counterproductive.
MVP | Bomber | Flash | MC
RuiBarbO
Profile Blog Joined August 2012
United States1340 Posts
September 05 2013 13:28 GMT
#267
+ Show Spoiler +
Just read it now(get to the point quicker dammit, no one but me and tor di is gonna read that wall).

I did agree with it, however theres also some risc in it:

A: Getting female gamers into sc2 via female only tournaments could create a split between the genders in sc2, like in physical sports.

B: Female only tournament could potientially be dominated by as few as 4-5 players as they scene will be new.

C. Reinforce the idea that games are for men, seing as we needed to create an effin female league in a game, for women to be able to compete even at the lowest level.


You don't care about perception, but you wanna change how women percive gaming? You are arguing against yourself...




I read the wall.

Regarding point A---it's interesting that many people assume there isn't already a "split" between genders in gaming. While it is possible to mask one's gender in gaming, does that really mean we can get rid of gender distinctions altogether? Gaming doesn't exist in a vacuum---it exists in a world in which gender divisions still run deep. Right now, we can see the influence of gender divisions in the fact that the player pool for female players is much smaller. There are also far fewer females entering tournaments. Creating a female-only league would ease the external social barriers---many of which exist outside of gaming itself---that reduce the female player pool.

Regarding point C---again, it's interesting that many people assume that these perceptions don't already exist. the idea that "games are for men"---let's consider that for a moment. Why is the female player pool so small? Again, it's helpful to look outside of gaming itself, because gaming does not exist apart from the rest of society. There are no physical barriers to female participation---no one is stopping women from buying the game---so something else is going on. All of the arguments that people raise about why women don't participate---physicality, men enjoy the competition more, women are more interested in other things, and so on---reinforce the deeper idea that, in one way or another, "games are for men." But creating a female-only league subverts this idea by encouraging women to play games competitively.

Two different meanings of perception, like Torte said. So his statement isn't inconsistent.

Can someone please explain/how water falls with no rain?
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
September 05 2013 14:49 GMT
#268
Good lord this topic haha
I was going to do females in esports in general, but god...
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
NeThZOR
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
South Africa7387 Posts
September 05 2013 15:05 GMT
#269
Good article. One thing of note though: Gabriella Issacs was the only female SC2 player who entered for the South African qualifiers, so she was allowed to go through automatically. She also was a bronze player at the time. I am sure there are many female gamers who are actually better than most gamers, but who prefer to hide behind anonymity and non-exposure.
SuperNova - 2015 | SKT1 fan for years | Dear, FlaSh, PartinG, Soulkey, Naniwa
ZenithM
Profile Joined February 2011
France15952 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-05 15:48:14
September 05 2013 15:38 GMT
#270
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but why shouldn't we have tournaments for black people?
I'm of the opinion, unless proven otherwise, that women can physically and intellectually do the same shit in gaming men do. So, acknowledging women as a minority in competitive gaming, I think they are the same as any other minority.
In SC2, I think black people are a minority (which certainly seems to be the case for TL in recent poll), so why don't we organize tournaments for black people?

Edit: typo
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
September 05 2013 15:44 GMT
#271
On September 06 2013 00:38 ZenithM wrote:
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but what shouldn't we have tournaments for black people?
I'm of the opinion, unless proven otherwise, that women can physically and intellectually do the same shit in gaming men do. So, acknowledging women as a minority in competitive gaming, I think they are the same as any other minority.
In SC2, I think black people are a minority (which certainly seems to be the case for TL in recent poll), so why don't we organize tournaments for black people?


We could if we wanted to. Same thing with homosexuals, though I think in terms of interest; gaming is more of a gender and age interest than ethnic background.

Can't confirm though
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
ZenithM
Profile Joined February 2011
France15952 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-05 15:48:00
September 05 2013 15:46 GMT
#272
Oh god I'm TL rusty.
I don't really agree with the article, but it's well written.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
September 05 2013 15:53 GMT
#273
On September 06 2013 00:38 ZenithM wrote:
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but what shouldn't we have tournaments for black people?
I'm of the opinion, unless proven otherwise, that women can physically and intellectually do the same shit in gaming men do. So, acknowledging women as a minority in competitive gaming, I think they are the same as any other minority.
In SC2, I think black people are a minority (which certainly seems to be the case for TL in recent poll), so why don't we organize tournaments for black people?


In the vast majority physical competitions, we accept that men and women have different physical features that can put them at an advantage or disadvantage in a specific event. They don’t attempt to justify the division, because exceptions can always be found. Competitive gaming is the same way and some events are gender specific. Before we get upset there are events that are only for women in Esports, we need to go talk to the Olympics about women’s table tennis and badminton. I am sure if I dug around I could find five other sports were it would seem that gender would not affect competition too. And I am sure we could all come up with reasons why those events should be separated by gender too and they would be reasonable. Gender specific events are nothing new for any physical competitions and Esports really isn't any different.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Talin
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Montenegro10532 Posts
September 05 2013 15:59 GMT
#274
On September 06 2013 00:38 ZenithM wrote:
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but why shouldn't we have tournaments for black people?
I'm of the opinion, unless proven otherwise, that women can physically and intellectually do the same shit in gaming men do. So, acknowledging women as a minority in competitive gaming, I think they are the same as any other minority.
In SC2, I think black people are a minority (which certainly seems to be the case for TL in recent poll), so why don't we organize tournaments for black people?

Edit: typo


Because there's no apparent interest in a tournament for black people.

WE are not organizing tournaments for anybody. There is no central authority that determines what kind of tournaments are being run and who gets to play in them. People and organizations do what they like and what they think there's a sufficient degree of interest for.
ZenithM
Profile Joined February 2011
France15952 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-05 16:12:21
September 05 2013 16:08 GMT
#275
It isn't obvious to me that gender doesn't affect performance in table tennis or badminton (though apparently badminton mixed doubles is an olympic sport). For example, the fastest serve and smashes recorded for men in badminton are way faster than those for women.
I know it was just an example and that you could probably indeed find some non-mixed sport where I have trouble pulling out arguments from the web like that, but I don't think we should do it that way in "e-sports" because traditional sports do it this way.

On September 06 2013 00:59 Talin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 06 2013 00:38 ZenithM wrote:
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but why shouldn't we have tournaments for black people?
I'm of the opinion, unless proven otherwise, that women can physically and intellectually do the same shit in gaming men do. So, acknowledging women as a minority in competitive gaming, I think they are the same as any other minority.
In SC2, I think black people are a minority (which certainly seems to be the case for TL in recent poll), so why don't we organize tournaments for black people?

Edit: typo


Because there's no apparent interest in a tournament for black people.

Well tell that to OP, not to me. There is a whole paragraph in his post that basically says that we should be more interested in the competitive women scene than we are now.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-05 16:35:22
September 05 2013 16:34 GMT
#276
On September 06 2013 01:08 ZenithM wrote:
It isn't obvious to me that gender doesn't affect performance in table tennis or badminton (though apparently badminton mixed doubles is an olympic sport). For example, the fastest serve and smashes recorded for men in badminton are way faster than those for women.
I know it was just an example and that you could probably indeed find some non-mixed sport where I have trouble pulling out arguments from the web like that, but I don't think we should do it that way in "e-sports" because traditional sports do it this way.

Show nested quote +
On September 06 2013 00:59 Talin wrote:
On September 06 2013 00:38 ZenithM wrote:
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but why shouldn't we have tournaments for black people?
I'm of the opinion, unless proven otherwise, that women can physically and intellectually do the same shit in gaming men do. So, acknowledging women as a minority in competitive gaming, I think they are the same as any other minority.
In SC2, I think black people are a minority (which certainly seems to be the case for TL in recent poll), so why don't we organize tournaments for black people?

Edit: typo


Because there's no apparent interest in a tournament for black people.

Well tell that to OP, not to me. There is a whole paragraph in his post that basically says that we should be more interested in the competitive women scene than we are now.

There could be gender performance differences in both table tennis or badminton, but I am sure we could find conflicting evidence for both sides of the argument. Standard table pool has male and female competitions as well, though I couldn't tell you why(maybe because men are naturally taller and reach can be big advantage in pool), but who cares? If we really dig deep, we can find a ton of sports that have gender specific competitions that don't make a huge amount of sense.

The point is that trying to rationalize through science or some form of medical evidence is sort of a fools errand, since people will just turn around and provide their own cherry picked evidence.

The fact is that having more women involved with the scene would be dope. It would increase the market share of the game, help deal with that pesky sexism issue that keeps cropping up(its everywhere, but we can only deal with Esports in general), and make everything better. Because, it is a little known fact in the game world, that girls make everything better. And if a few gender specific competitions every year are what is needed to get the ball rolling, it is worth it. Some of the matches might look like season 1 GSL, but that isn't a huge deal.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
RuiBarbO
Profile Blog Joined August 2012
United States1340 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-05 16:51:17
September 05 2013 16:50 GMT
#277

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but why shouldn't we have tournaments for black people?
I'm of the opinion, unless proven otherwise, that women can physically and intellectually do the same shit in gaming men do. So, acknowledging women as a minority in competitive gaming, I think they are the same as any other minority.
In SC2, I think black people are a minority (which certainly seems to be the case for TL in recent poll), so why don't we organize tournaments for black people?

Edit: typo


Seems like a good question to me. I guess the tricky point for me is that gender and race, while both traits that mark difference, are not really the same thing. So the reasons fewer women play SC2 are not the same as the reasons fewer black people, male and female, play SC2. It can get kind of complicated, but basically the social context is very different.


It isn't obvious to me that gender doesn't affect performance in table tennis or badminton (though apparently badminton mixed doubles is an olympic sport). For example, the fastest serve and smashes recorded for men in badminton are way faster than those for women.
I know it was just an example and that you could probably indeed find some non-mixed sport where I have trouble pulling out arguments from the web like that, but I don't think we should do it that way in "e-sports" because traditional sports do it this way.


I myself don't know if female-only leagues are the best way to open gaming up to women. But I do agree that they may help subvert the masculine, male-dominated environment that has emerged around gaming. Sometimes it can be hard to observe just how male/masculine-oriented gaming culture is, especially if you're a man.
Can someone please explain/how water falls with no rain?
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
September 05 2013 16:52 GMT
#278
On September 06 2013 00:46 ZenithM wrote:
Oh god I'm TL rusty.
I don't really agree with the article, but it's well written.


I respect your opinion and thank you for the compliment
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
ZenithM
Profile Joined February 2011
France15952 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-05 16:53:42
September 05 2013 16:52 GMT
#279
Now we're talking haha. We want girls in gaming because we like girls, that I can agree with. Imo OP is trying to make it sound more complicated than it really is. I don't think it's really a "help the minority" issue. In the end, we just want girls to be interested in the same game we're interested in :D
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-05 17:12:05
September 05 2013 16:53 GMT
#280
Men are only better at physical sports because the most popular sports favor men.
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 56m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko263
SpeCial 82
ProTech26
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15858
firebathero 2330
Bisu 950
Hyuk 624
Horang2 502
Larva 320
BeSt 249
Light 200
Mini 184
EffOrt 145
[ Show more ]
Soma 134
Rush 98
Barracks 90
Leta 86
ZerO 67
Pusan 61
Mong 55
Killer 51
ToSsGirL 47
Sharp 42
Yoon 35
Aegong 35
Shinee 32
Mind 29
Sexy 26
NaDa 26
Snow 24
sorry 21
Bale 21
Hm[arnc] 19
Sacsri 18
JulyZerg 15
zelot 15
Noble 15
Terrorterran 14
ajuk12(nOOB) 11
Sea.KH 5
Dota 2
XaKoH 296
Fuzer 181
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss906
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1017
crisheroes1011
Other Games
gofns30388
singsing1907
olofmeister1135
B2W.Neo222
Mew2King80
Livibee66
ArmadaUGS50
ZerO(Twitch)14
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream191
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH119
• StrangeGG 27
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
1h 56m
OSC
10h 56m
CranKy Ducklings
22h 56m
Online Event
23h 56m
FEL
1d 4h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 5h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 7h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 22h
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.