• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:41
CEST 05:41
KST 12:41
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7036 users

Optimal Creep Spread in Theory - Page 3

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 All
Orek
Profile Joined February 2012
1665 Posts
November 10 2012 13:51 GMT
#41
Hi. OP here. Thank you for the feedback.
Honestly, I’m surprised that there are this many dissatisfied readers. I guess I should have explained my intention better. This thread is not meant to provide people a method to improve their creep spread by itself. Instead, this is an attempt to derive a model that explains the degree of creep spread that players perform. In a sense, I am trying to provide a thermometer when people are boiling water because no one before me had one, but some people don’t care much about current temperature and instead demand better fuel to boil water faster. I’m afraid a thermometer vendor can’t satisfy those who want to buy fuel. Expectation is wrong there. Also, this thermometer is not meant to work in every situation, at least not yet. It’s still a crude one. Only a state-of-art thermometer would be able to measure with multiple factors such as distance, direction, speed etc. incorporated. No one can provide a sophisticated thermometer at this point despite many people’s very high expectation. I guess these mismatches between my intention and people’s expectation pretty much sum up the feedback. I wish I knew a better way to get across my ideas.

Thank you Cirqueenflex and radscorpion9 for the correction. Domains should have been 45=<x and 90=<x. Editing now. I’m the one who was just stupid and tired :D

On November 10 2012 10:42 TheRabidDeer wrote:
Interesting theory. How quickly do you reach the cap on effective creep tumors for spreading?
Player's APM cap comes much earlier, and the cap on effective creep tumors depends on maps. I'm afraid it's not considered in my model.

On November 10 2012 11:23 Filter wrote:
How long would it take a Terran to actually clear that and cross the map with an army? Luckily very few Zergs even in the pro ranks have the skills required to have creep spread that good, but in a perfect world they would have those skills. At what point would a Terran be able to actually attack/what would be the economic cost in terms of scans to cross it?
Once the model with distance is figured out, it's a very interesting question. At certain point, I feel having a raven is more economic than spending, say, 5 scans.

On November 10 2012 11:37 chuminh wrote:
reading from the tables, I assume that this equation is for spreading creep from 1 queen only? if player uses 2 queens ( I guess Scarlett uses more than 1 queen to spread from what I saw, then the efficiency must be lower in half.). Am I wrong?
Efficiency is within the same build. 60% with 4 queen build has a better creep spread than 60% with 3 queen build. If one wants to compare between 2 different builds, using the number of creep tumors itself is more useful than comparing %.

On November 10 2012 12:18 TheGreenMachine wrote:
TBH i didnt learn anything here thats useful in game... was there anything useful other than a rough idea of what potential creep spread # of tumors is?
Not meant to improve anyone's play in game with this information alone.

On November 10 2012 15:16 radscorpion9 wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +

I liked reading your proof, I think you did make an error though like Cirqueenflex noted. I'm pretty sure that the domain for those example functions you listed should have had x => 45,90,etc., since those functions only begin to exist at x = 45,90.

And even if they did somehow exist before 45,90 (etc.) then you would have negative creep tumors (tons of negative creep tumors for a large n!), which doesn't make sense.

I think that's the only confusing part. The only other aspect is when you give a closed form expression for the sum of n positive integers.

But that should be easy to reproduce so that people can clearly see how its derived. You could use Gauss' proof for the some of n integers. Just add the series going forwards with the series going backwards, and you get (1/2)(n)(n+1). I learned it in university by the way .

In case anyone's interested, for the sum of the first n positive integers (its really small!):
+ Show Spoiler +

Sn = 1 + 2 + 3 + ... + n
Sn = n + (n-1) + (n-2) + ... + 1

So if you add the sums, you get: 2Sn = (1 + n) + (1 + n) + (1 + n) + ... + (1 + n)

But clearly since there are n terms, then there are n (1+n) terms. Then 2Sn = n(1 + n) and Sn = (1/2)(n)(1 + n)

Gauss supposedly discovered this as a child, when a teacher told him to add the numbers from 1 to 100 as a form of punishment in grade school. Gauss rules!


On November 10 2012 12:27 D_K_night wrote:
...You're missing the entire point of this. What is the theoretical, fastest possible way to creep up the entire map, backed up by solid math and evidence? This post is it. Please don't be so condescending, especially when, in your words, "there is nothing concrete" that you could even come up with any of this.


I have to agree with other people in the thread, this analysis actually doesn't answer the core question: How fast can you cover the map with creep? All it does is talk about the number of creep tumors that you can make using one queen + the older ones.

Ultimately the rate of creep spread needs to be included for this analysis to be meaningful, and also production of secondary or tertiary queens at hatcheries to spread extra creep as well. Aren't creep tumors limited (in terms of placement) by how fast the creep extends? Also don't multiple creep tumors increase the rate of creep spread? So what is the optimal balance? None of this was really covered, it was just a formula that shows you how the *number* of creep tumors increases. It would be better to discover what the ideal scenario for generation of creep would be to cover the map as fast as possible using the least number of queens (possibly also taking into account terrain changes).

Perhaps it would also be worthwhile to investigate how fast the map could be covered with the aid of overlords generating creep, so that creep tumors can be placed to their furthest extent without having to wait for the creep to extend normally?

I know its a lot to ask, but these are the kinds of questions that would need to be answered. I commend the OP on his work, it certainly does help in some simpler ways from his examples, but it needs to be improved upon for people to extract something more meaningful out of it.
Thank you very much for your supplement and suggestions. Your ideas as to what this research should lead to is spot-on. I hope this introductory work can help for those deeper analyses.
warshop
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada490 Posts
November 10 2012 14:31 GMT
#42
I honestly really enjoy reading these threads and theories.

Thank you.
Fyrewolf
Profile Joined January 2010
United States1533 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-10 15:18:59
November 10 2012 15:14 GMT
#43
Oh......... I thought it was going to be math on getting the best actual spreading of creep rather than a calculation of the max possible number of tumours at a given time. You did do good work on this though, and it is nice to know the upper limit (despite impracticality of achieving or applying it within a game, as you put it a "thermometer"), but it's not what I was expecting from the title.
"This is not Warcraft in space" "It's much more...... Sophisticated" "I KNOW IT'S NOT 3D!!!"
Crypdos
Profile Joined December 2011
Netherlands110 Posts
November 10 2012 17:28 GMT
#44
Your work is much appreciated, but I think you left some important things open; namely including distance into the equation. How is "effectiveness" and the number of creeptumors relevant when its all about the actual spread (the distance)? I really hoped you would cover this, since it would be really cool to know how fast you can creep up the whole map for example.

Avicularia
Profile Joined February 2012
540 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-10 18:12:25
November 10 2012 18:09 GMT
#45
On November 10 2012 12:27 D_K_night wrote:
No it isn't. Are you seriously stating that some high school kid would be able to figure all the equations out, on his own?

Middle school you're just learning whatever the teacher is instructing from the blackboard, and doing assigned exercises. No chance in hell that suddenly a high school kid has an epiphany and suddenly just comes up with all these formulas out of thin air.


I really don't want to make OT, but what are they teaching you in school then? :p How to give a change?:p I don't want to be mean, but it's interesting for me what math level is in schools in other countries.


To OP, I read hole post math seems ok, maybe a bit too many transformations (especially in hand made part) which made it a bit too long, but it's fine.
If you'd like to get some criticism of your work, then I have 3 things to say:
- you said
It would be interesting if someone made a program for calculating the efficiency from replays. With y= (x+45)(x+60)/2700 equation
But computer program won't have any problems to handle that [ ] function so algorithm would look different way.
- If you make "science" article, treat your readers as equally smart. Other way it's a bit annoying to read it (when you're asking 100 times if we're lost just because you summed up two fractions).
- every time "x" appears as time parameter cute panda dies somewhere.

Other then that it's nice, and good job Now you can work on creep range model
F u r u y a
Profile Joined August 2010
Brazil173 Posts
November 11 2012 20:37 GMT
#46
I still did not finished reading this, but I think you should use Ceiling function instead? That's because the normal practice (or should I say the most common practice, at least in engineering) is to always consider the worst case scenario and I think that Ceiling function is better suited in this case (i.e. if y_1 = 3.2 seconds, you should consider 4 seconds, merely for not throwing away that .2 second).

Thanks for your time spent in this, I enjoy reading this type of more analytical of work.
Crushgroove
Profile Joined July 2010
United States793 Posts
November 11 2012 20:46 GMT
#47
This is so awesome. I love seeing things like this.... it not only provides food for thought, but it shows how far from perfect the current pros still are.
[In Korea on Vaca] "Why would I go to the park and climb a mountain? There are video games on f*cking TV!" - Kazuke
vorxaw
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada245 Posts
November 11 2012 20:56 GMT
#48
Awesome work, I have always pondered about this as well, what DOES perfect creep spread look like.
If someone could make a custom map where once you drop a CT, your draw a line out from it on the minimap, and it will auto spawn new creep tumors along that spline... would be cool too test the out come, unfortunately i have no skills to do that lol
Kakaru2
Profile Joined March 2011
198 Posts
November 11 2012 21:01 GMT
#49
I loved this math reminder. I'm wondering if in another two years efficiency of best players will be closer to maximum.
Dayrlan
Profile Joined November 2010
United States248 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-11 22:26:20
November 11 2012 22:22 GMT
#50
On November 12 2012 05:37 F u r u y a wrote:
I still did not finished reading this, but I think you should use Ceiling function instead? That's because the normal practice (or should I say the most common practice, at least in engineering) is to always consider the worst case scenario and I think that Ceiling function is better suited in this case (i.e. if y_1 = 3.2 seconds, you should consider 4 seconds, merely for not throwing away that .2 second).

Thanks for your time spent in this, I enjoy reading this type of more analytical of work.


The floor function is correct; y is the number of creep tumors (perhaps as a function of time x, i.e. y = f(x)). To be conservative, you round whole creep tumors y at time x down.

P.S. Interesting article. I liked it! I feel inspired to analyze maximum area covered as a function of time by the optimal strategy. Alas, if I only had the time.
Prev 1 2 3 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 19m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 216
ProTech126
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 17671
Rain 1498
GuemChi 644
sSak 34
Bale 21
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm196
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
taco 462
Coldzera 353
minikerr35
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1009
Mew2King86
Other Games
summit1g7314
JimRising 645
WinterStarcraft542
C9.Mang0175
ViBE128
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1049
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream44
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Light_VIP 19
• Letter1410
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo755
• Stunt330
Other Games
• Scarra897
• Shiphtur734
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
6h 19m
INu's Battles
7h 19m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
9h 19m
OSC
18h 34m
Replay Cast
19h 19m
OSC
1d 19h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.