• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:48
CEST 11:48
KST 18:48
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8085 users

Proposed Design Changes To StarCraft 2's UI - Page 8

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 16 Next All
MostDifferent
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Norway124 Posts
March 15 2012 23:44 GMT
#141
Great video,

but this video seems more like the job of a UI designer, rather then an artist.

If I understand the difference between those, ofcourse it doesnt hurt to be good at both
Soma.bokforlag
Profile Joined February 2011
Sweden448 Posts
March 15 2012 23:44 GMT
#142
looks great! i hope blizzard implements this stuff
Amui
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada10567 Posts
March 15 2012 23:45 GMT
#143
On March 16 2012 08:30 snively wrote:
i stopped at 2:59.

i just wanna point out, you cant link your match history/score screen with the replay for each game

replays are stored on your computer, your match history is stored on your account. this is the reason that you can watch other peoples replays. if you wanted to combine match history and replays like that, blizzard wuold have to save a copy of every single replay ever played, one for each person in a game. the amount of memory it would require would be enormous.

ok, ill watch the rest now


The link doesn't have to be there for every game. Only when the replay file is available locally I would think, because otherwise you'd have problems where people can see practice games of other pros, which presents a rather obvious problem.
Porouscloud - NA LoL
MrMotionPicture
Profile Joined May 2010
United States4327 Posts
March 15 2012 23:45 GMT
#144
Very nice stuff!
"Elvis Presley" | Ret was looking at my post in the GSL video by Artosis. | MMA told me I look like Juanfran while we shared an elevator with Scarlett
Maxd11
Profile Joined July 2011
United States680 Posts
March 15 2012 23:47 GMT
#145
I love you.
I looked in the mirror and saw biupilm69t
Sjokola
Profile Joined November 2010
Netherlands800 Posts
March 15 2012 23:47 GMT
#146
Good job!

Basicly this and shared replay watching for me.
stokes17
Profile Joined January 2011
United States1411 Posts
March 15 2012 23:48 GMT
#147
That's crazy, I felt the video more than anything showed me how difficult changing ANYTHING in the UI must be. You certainly put an absurd amount of effort into this. I also commend you for not just taking a shit on blizzards hard work (I have a feeling people who understand the process give Bliz more credit than the average TL user) Instead you came up with improvements that work within the walls Blizzard created.

I'm pretty astonished at the amount of people being negative in this thread. The OP spent what I can only guess is dozens of hours trying to improve the UI for the Game we all dearly love. And instead of thanking him you say he was too nice to Blizzard and made changes that are too small? Just mind blowing.... Yes if this was the official Heart of the Swarm UI update from Blizzard then I would agree that they didn't address some of the larger foundational flaws with the Interface.

But as far as a homemade attempt to demonstrate creative thinking and problem solving within a set of rules (although I don't quite understand how linking replay to match history would work with the way blizzard stores match history vs replay data) I thought you did an outstanding job. On top of that your presentation was absolutely top notch (I've seen numerous PhD presentations that were not as polished.)

Fabulous job, I sincerely hope your hard work pays off for you in the manner you hope.

Cheers
Carl_Sagan
Profile Joined March 2010
United States226 Posts
March 15 2012 23:50 GMT
#148
Even if not all of these ideas are practical (I hope they are!), the current UI is trash and needs an overhaul one way or another. Many of these ideas are so obvious, it astounds me that they are not already implemented.
Samba
Profile Joined May 2010
Germany452 Posts
March 15 2012 23:50 GMT
#149
Awesome job there, dude. I really hope Blizzard hires you...for the sake of all of us!
You definitly got my like.
RIP Geoff “iNcontroL" Robinson, September 11, 1985 - July 20, 2019
ma70
Profile Joined October 2010
253 Posts
March 15 2012 23:51 GMT
#150
You're hired! Haha.

Well, if I was Blizzard I would. This is nice stuff.
Utopi
Profile Joined July 2010
Denmark176 Posts
March 15 2012 23:53 GMT
#151
wow very nice job!
no.
dmfg
Profile Joined May 2008
United Kingdom591 Posts
March 15 2012 23:53 GMT
#152
This is amazing, really hope you get the job!

Also I am very much of the opinion that UI designers should not have to worry themselves about "is this easy/possible to do in the code". That's the coder's job. If it turns out to be implausibly hard, then and only then should the coder go to the UI designer and say "hey, X or Y specific thing isn't possible to do. Can we get the same result without doing that?"

The UI has to deliver what the end user wants, not what the coder wants.
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
March 15 2012 23:55 GMT
#153
Posting my support. I really hope that Blizzard pays attention to how positive the feedback on your suggestions are. And more importantly, I hope you get the job~!
laLAlA[uC]
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Canada963 Posts
March 15 2012 23:56 GMT
#154
holy fuck. my application looks like dirt compared to this.
I'm an old man now
Mr.Pyro
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Denmark959 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-16 00:11:11
March 16 2012 00:07 GMT
#155
I'm sorry, but i did not at all like it.

You're not coming up with any original stuff here, no reorganization or original thought in the layout.
You're basically saying, hey, wouldn't it be nice if we had this categorization.
There is only one thing in the video which i actually liked, from a GUI stand-point, and that was the inclusion of the back button, that's it. The music is a little over the top too, i think.

The rest are features that are nice to have, sure, but i don't really see anything original design-wise, and when you say that stuff is easier, you seem to forget that what is 'easier' ... Easier for you? What makes you think most people would think this was easier. What makes you think categories would ever be used? It's not my impression the map bookmarks are being used all that much really.

My main issue with your video is that you compliment their GUI design, when in fact the community seems to hate it.
Wouldn't it have been better to come up with your own suggestion, and argue as for why your design is better, from some HCI standards?

Being a GUI designer, doesn't constitute adding new features - you are told what features are available, and must build the design from that. So build a GUI with the features available to you - or features you know which might be coming.

What seems like a totally missed opportunity to me is that you know the Marketplace for maps is coming - why not come up with your own suggestion for that? You moved a few buttons, added a back button, and added a lot of features which are really nice! But that is not GUI design..

In my eyes your main contribution here, is the back button, which is not all that major, although i admit it should have been there from day 1.

I'm sorry for being so harsh, i'm not that bad a guy!


Edit: After looking up the job on Blizzards website (http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company/careers/posting.html?id=120001J) I think you completely misinterpreted the difference between designer and artist. Your video focuses on design - not art.
P⊧[1]<a>[2]<a>[3]<a>tt | P ≝ 1.a.2.a.3.a.P
YuTz
Profile Joined September 2010
United States119 Posts
March 16 2012 00:08 GMT
#156
This man deserves the Pulitzer prize for SC2 :D I wish SC2 had replay sharing similar to BW in the fact that you could just host a replay and everyone could watch it with you like in a game lobby... good ol days...
Old School.....
alteredsego
Profile Joined November 2010
United States50 Posts
March 16 2012 00:11 GMT
#157
On March 16 2012 08:18 snailz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2012 08:03 Sylailene wrote:
On March 16 2012 07:52 snailz wrote:
no, sc2 UI is not "excellent and well tought out", and while i see why you would say such a thing (to get the job), you're dishonest and i would never hire you

a kick in the ass is also a step forward, and that's what blizzard needs atm the most, not lies to keep their egos safe from the truth

make a video where you critize them and adress the real problems in UI, and you get my respect. new ideas, not candy stuff: meaning its nice, but at the end of the day wont make much of a difference. band aid of sorts


also, everything Ashur said.


There are plenty of videos and posts critizing blizzard, what this guy did was think of a change then actually took steps to get it done, and out there for blizzard to see. Posts like ashur's have been seen before and blizzard obviously obviously doesn't care


yeah thats why i said "while i see why you would say such a thing"

but his suggestions are honestly nothing but a glorified band-aid, it really wont change anything significantly enough for me to go "OMFG hire this guy!!!11"

ghost town effect on bnet, and other things that Ashur mentioned are whats important, but blizz declines to adress them


edit: to the OP, sorry if i came off strong, its just venting


Hey man, I get what you are saying. One reason I just tried to work within the existing UI so much is because that is what the job calls for. Part of the point of the video is to show how I might approach things if I were hired. You know? I don't think they would look favorably on hiring someone that says, "I know how to do everything better than you, and you have been doing it all wrong." Plus as some people have pointed out there may be some reason that some features are not implemented as of right now. I just tried to stick to things that would work well within the existing UI, and that I thought, based on what I know about the system, would be realistic to pull off. Also for the sake of the video I did keep it short and focused around a single point as opposed to trying to cover everything.
"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I felt as a child, I thought as a child: now that I am become a man, I have put away childish things." I Corinthians 13:11 (Alternately Cereal Killer from Hackers)
FeyFey
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany10114 Posts
March 16 2012 00:11 GMT
#158
i wish you luck on getting the job. But i have the feeling that posting something you used for your application, kind of reduces the chances, knowing Blizzard likes to stay air tight. But thats up to their personal staff and not me to decide. Still quiet an interesting idea to get community backup for a job application.
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27460 Posts
March 16 2012 00:12 GMT
#159
On March 16 2012 09:07 Mr.Pyro wrote:
I'm sorry, but i did not at all like it.

You're not coming up with any original stuff here, no reorganization or original thought in the layout.
You're basically saying, hey, wouldn't it be nice if we had this categorization.
There is only one thing in the video which i actually liked, from a GUI stand-point, and that was the inclusion of the back button, that's it. The music is a little over the top too, i think.

The rest are features that are nice to have, sure, but i don't really see anything original design-wise, and when you say that stuff is easier, you seem to forget that what is 'easier' ... Easier for you? What makes you think most people would think this was easier. What makes you think categories would ever be used? It's not my impression the map bookmarks are being used all that much really.

My main issue with your video is that you compliment their GUI design, when in fact the community seems to hate it.
Wouldn't it have been better to come up with your own suggestion, and argue as for why your design is better, from some HCI standards?

Being a GUI designer, doesn't constitute adding new features - you are told what features are available, and must build the design from that. So build a GUI with the features available to you - or features you know which might be coming.

What seems like a totally missed opportunity to me is that you know the Marketplace for maps is coming - why not come up with your own suggestion for that? You moved a few buttons, added a back button, and added a lot of features which are really nice! But that is not GUI design..

In my eyes your main contribution here, is the back button, which is not all that major, although i admit it should have been there from day 1.

I'm sorry for being so harsh, i'm not that bad a guy!

Surely he's applying for a position at Blizzard and would be expected to work within their original GUI framework and augment it, I would have thought that was the brief?

Your criticism is generally fair though, although I don't agree with it personally (i.e I would find his changes 'easier' even if you wouldn't). Only the aforementioned point I would take proper issue with!
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
alteredsego
Profile Joined November 2010
United States50 Posts
March 16 2012 00:15 GMT
#160
On March 16 2012 09:07 Mr.Pyro wrote:
I'm sorry, but i did not at all like it.

You're not coming up with any original stuff here, no reorganization or original thought in the layout.
You're basically saying, hey, wouldn't it be nice if we had this categorization.
There is only one thing in the video which i actually liked, from a GUI stand-point, and that was the inclusion of the back button, that's it. The music is a little over the top too, i think.

The rest are features that are nice to have, sure, but i don't really see anything original design-wise, and when you say that stuff is easier, you seem to forget that what is 'easier' ... Easier for you? What makes you think most people would think this was easier. What makes you think categories would ever be used? It's not my impression the map bookmarks are being used all that much really.

My main issue with your video is that you compliment their GUI design, when in fact the community seems to hate it.
Wouldn't it have been better to come up with your own suggestion, and argue as for why your design is better, from some HCI standards?

Being a GUI designer, doesn't constitute adding new features - you are told what features are available, and must build the design from that. So build a GUI with the features available to you - or features you know which might be coming.

What seems like a totally missed opportunity to me is that you know the Marketplace for maps is coming - why not come up with your own suggestion for that? You moved a few buttons, added a back button, and added a lot of features which are really nice! But that is not GUI design..

In my eyes your main contribution here, is the back button, which is not all that major, although i admit it should have been there from day 1.

I'm sorry for being so harsh, i'm not that bad a guy!


Edit: After looking up the job on Blizzards website (http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company/careers/posting.html?id=120001J) I think you completely misinterpreted the difference between designer and artist. Your video focuses on design - not art.


I have worked as an artist in the past, and so at least in my experience... they sort of go hand in hand. And as part of the video didn't I work around the existing artistic them in a way? I mean if I just want to show photoshopped windows to people that is not very interesting, and it does not effect positive change in any way. I guess I wanted to do both with this.

I don't think you are being harsh by the way... it is just what you believe. And hey maybe I did miss with the video, but regardless it might lead to the game being better in some way, and maybe I helped to contribute to that. Is that such a bad thing?
"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I felt as a child, I thought as a child: now that I am become a man, I have put away childish things." I Corinthians 13:11 (Alternately Cereal Killer from Hackers)
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 16 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 13m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech36
StarCraft: Brood War
Horang2 397
EffOrt 386
Zeus 378
Larva 286
Pusan 96
Mind 92
Jaedong 68
sorry 66
Hyun 60
ggaemo 56
[ Show more ]
Killer 51
scan(afreeca) 51
Barracks 45
Bale 44
NotJumperer 32
Sharp 31
Sacsri 18
Hm[arnc] 15
Shinee 15
Noble 7
Dota 2
febbydoto101
League of Legends
JimRising 396
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1419
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King82
Other Games
summit1g8089
ceh9636
Happy455
crisheroes219
Sick180
dupreeh93
Pyrionflax84
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick576
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream36
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast8
• LUISG 5
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2274
League of Legends
• Jankos1078
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
13m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1h 13m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
14h 13m
Patches Events
1d 6h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.