• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:41
CEST 15:41
KST 22:41
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8030 users

Starcraft 2 Science: Skillcraft's Study - Page 10

Forum Index > SC2 General
261 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 14 Next All
FYRE
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
New Zealand314 Posts
September 13 2011 03:52 GMT
#181
If a kid was made to write an essay on Starcraft 2, I think the parent should go into psychiatric care.
CrushDog5
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada207 Posts
September 13 2011 04:02 GMT
#182
On September 13 2011 10:54 sephirotharg wrote:
... I hope that the study will be published someplace I can find it....



I'll post the pdf on my lab webpage if you want to read the original (though bear in mind that publishing takes months, and sometimes even years).

I'll write up something aimed at the SC2 player and post here and on the SkillCraft website, too.

SkillCraft.com - StarCraft + Science
antas
Profile Joined August 2010
Indonesia300 Posts
September 13 2011 04:34 GMT
#183
Interesting .. Will do when I get home.
Entaro Adun!
Ridiculisk
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia191 Posts
September 13 2011 04:34 GMT
#184
Wow Im really excited to see what comes out of this. Will upload replays as soon as I get home.

Good luck Prof. CrushDog5!

For Science!
TAhackdZ.379 - Sc2sea.com Article Writer
sephirotharg
Profile Joined August 2010
United States91 Posts
September 13 2011 04:40 GMT
#185
Excellent, I'm glad to hear it will be accessible. I'm a psychology student at my college, so naturally this research fascinates me and I'd love to read the full report. When it's done, of course. We can't hurry science, after all.

If I had a replay to upload, I would, but all of mine were lost during the transition to a new computer and I haven't played much since. I'm thinking I'll snatch some time from my studies and play a game so that I can upload it. All in the interest of research, mind you!
sOvrn
Profile Joined April 2010
United States678 Posts
September 13 2011 05:04 GMT
#186
Smart thinking applying sc2 with the lack of available data in your particular field. I answered the survey and submitted a replay. Hope it all works out, let us know
My favorites: Terran - Maru // Protoss - SoS // Zerg - soO ~~~ fighting!
CrushDog5
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada207 Posts
September 13 2011 05:06 GMT
#187
On September 13 2011 12:52 FYRE wrote:
If a kid was made to write an essay on Starcraft 2, I think the parent should go into psychiatric care.


I don't understand.

Is there something about writing an essays which is harmful?
I can't believe you mean that.

What about the classic "What did you do on your summer vacation?"; couldn't that be about StarCraft? That would be OK, right? If so, if you accept that someone might write a sensible, useful, even educational essay about StarCraft, then you must accept that the act writing about StarCraft itself isn't horribly damaging to someone.

Yet you suggest that having children write about StarCraft, perhaps as a way of aiding analysis, encouraging improvement, or reflecting on successes, is quite literally insane.

I think you have nicely demonstrated why eSports faces serious obstacles to widespread acceptance. Even someone writing on an SC2 community website thinks it's not an important or useful activity!

But, I note, you have provided no argument, no cause for believing that SC2 is a base, low and demeaning activity that we would do well to avoid. If you want to convince me to take your position, you must sway me with ideas and reasons. Give me something to sink my teeth into, please.

Maybe if you wrote 500 words on why assigning an essay on StarCraft 2 requires medical treatment we could have something to discuss, some way of learning from each other; but with only a one meager, embarrassingly small line, I feel like I've been flashed.

Perhaps it's not essays on StarCraft, but tiny, undeveloped, and thoughtless minority opinion posts that are the base, low and demeaning activity that we'd all do well to avoid.








SkillCraft.com - StarCraft + Science
antas
Profile Joined August 2010
Indonesia300 Posts
September 13 2011 06:07 GMT
#188
Hi CrushDog5,

I'm wondering for quite some time about the RTS game skill and age relation. Since you're doing this research, is it possible for you to give us the graph that showing that? I read this thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=265101, and I believe that that kind of information will interest some people, at least some old guy like me, lol.

I think it will hard to draw a conclusion since most likely the older we are, the less time we have. But at least we can see some picture. If we can compare the similar play time will be much better.

Cheers
Entaro Adun!
Setev
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Malaysia390 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-14 03:29:22
September 13 2011 06:48 GMT
#189
EDIT: Deleted
I'm the King Of Nerds
ZackAttack
Profile Joined June 2011
United States884 Posts
September 13 2011 09:24 GMT
#190
I can't wait to see what they find. Maybe there will be a specific way to practice that will help you to improve faster than others.
It's better aerodynamics for space. - Artosis
Synwave
Profile Joined July 2009
United States2803 Posts
September 13 2011 09:35 GMT
#191
This is so cool, I wish the group the best and loved reading the article.
Please update more or with links to anything published from this, I would be fascinated to read anything that comes from this project!
♞Nerdrage is the cause of global warming♞
dD3s
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany130 Posts
September 13 2011 09:58 GMT
#192
Filled out the survey, subscribed them. I'm so proud of that. Hwaiting for the results.
Jesus was raptor _||_ "So here is an idea, this map is stupid as fuck(...)" - Destiny
Nizaris
Profile Joined May 2010
Belgium2230 Posts
September 13 2011 12:33 GMT
#193
On September 13 2011 14:06 CrushDog5 wrote:
I don't understand.

don't even try. Clearly a troll
Iggnite
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada288 Posts
September 13 2011 14:03 GMT
#194
dope article
All about the big plays
Tanag
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada204 Posts
September 13 2011 14:23 GMT
#195
I filled out the survey, for science!
www.StatCraft.net - 1v1 Ladder Stat Tracker
CrushDog5
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada207 Posts
September 13 2011 14:29 GMT
#196
On September 13 2011 15:07 antas wrote:
Hi CrushDog5,

I'm wondering for quite some time about the RTS game skill and age relation. Since you're doing this research, is it possible for you to give us the graph that showing that? I read this thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=265101, and I believe that that kind of information will interest some people, at least some old guy like me, lol.

I think it will hard to draw a conclusion since most likely the older we are, the less time we have. But at least we can see some picture. If we can compare the similar play time will be much better.

Cheers



Something along those lines would be easy to do. We could do an analysis that holds factors play time out of the equation, to see if Age influences League independent of play time.

Thanks for the suggestion.
SkillCraft.com - StarCraft + Science
CrushDog5
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada207 Posts
September 13 2011 14:30 GMT
#197
On September 13 2011 15:48 Setev wrote:
Hey guys, on the subject of expertise and getting better at Starcraft, check out this book: "The Talent Code" by Daniel Coyle, who is also the author of bestseller "Lance Armstrong's War".



I'll check it out. I hadn't heard of that one.
SkillCraft.com - StarCraft + Science
CrushDog5
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada207 Posts
September 13 2011 14:34 GMT
#198
On September 13 2011 21:33 Nizaris wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 13 2011 14:06 CrushDog5 wrote:
I don't understand.

don't even try. Clearly a troll



Yeah, I know. Sigh.

The unsubstantiated assumption that most things are better use of time than gaming is the key problem, though.

All the recent press about eSports is promising, but it all has the flavor of Novelty News:, " Oh look, there are some people who think that video games are something to watch and cheer, isn't that funny!"

That's one of the reasons I think SkillCraft can be helpful.


SkillCraft.com - StarCraft + Science
Ownos
Profile Joined July 2010
United States2147 Posts
September 13 2011 17:20 GMT
#199
On September 13 2011 07:51 CrushDog5 wrote:
Show nested quote +
[B]On September 13 2011 07:30 Vul wrote:[/B

It's hard to say what's better or worse IMO. I think its obvious that, say, reading, playing sports and playing SC2 are all good for kids, but it's hard to know the right amounts. For example, maybe playing SC2 is better than the sixth reading of Harry Potter, but what about the first, or second reading? Will someone get more out of being competitive at an SC2 tournament, or a tennis tournament?

In my opinion SC2 isn't outright better than any of those things, but it would be a cool way to spend your free time as a kid.

edit: kids have a lot of free time though, haha



It's the mix that matters, as you say.

My point is that every parent I know would have no problem forcing their kids to go run around outside, or practice piano, or read a book, but none of them would insist that their children play a video game.


I insist that my parent play video games. Actually, aren't the elderly encouraged to socialize and play games to keep their minds sharp? Checkers and card games not uncommon in senior centers. Or the Wii.
...deeper and deeper into the bowels of El Diablo
.MadHaT
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada76 Posts
September 13 2011 17:51 GMT
#200
Super proud I go to SFU. Haha, this is a great endeavor, I hope there's a large interest in participation, such a cool post.
"That's just the man trying to get you to buy Bananas" - Artosis
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 14 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
11:00
WardiTV Mondays #106
IntoTheiNu 1040
WardiTV767
OGKoka 298
Rex147
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 298
Rex 147
ProTech132
Codebar 3
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 2299
Shuttle 2097
Horang2 1386
EffOrt 833
Jaedong 832
BeSt 535
Light 389
Mini 308
Stork 294
firebathero 283
[ Show more ]
ZerO 265
Rush 241
ggaemo 153
Barracks 97
Zeus 89
Shine 74
Killer 65
Hyun 54
Yoon 38
ToSsGirL 31
Shinee 30
Sexy 28
Mong 26
Bale 24
sorry 23
Aegong 21
soO 21
PianO 21
Terrorterran 15
ajuk12(nOOB) 12
Sacsri 12
zelot 10
HiyA 9
Icarus 7
Noble 7
yabsab 7
Dota 2
qojqva3011
Dendi2101
BananaSlamJamma311
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
x6flipin390
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes424
Other Games
singsing2255
olofmeister1401
hiko825
B2W.Neo735
Lowko349
Sick210
Pyrionflax201
Liquid`VortiX166
ArmadaUGS90
Mew2King38
ZerO(Twitch)14
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream495
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 13
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH295
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2197
• Nemesis1165
Other Games
• WagamamaTV261
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
2h 19m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
20h 19m
Afreeca Starleague
20h 19m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 10h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 21h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.